Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

hepscat posted:

Wait, it was on tonight?

Anyway, saw a blind gossip item today that was hashtagged The Good Wife:

I'm sure there is some veracity to that given the whole Kalinda drama, but it is also a 7 year old show with the creators moving on and marginal ratings. It all factors in.

I just want one more episode with Canning being a huge sleazeball before it wraps and I'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I really want another NSA episode!

:goat:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That ant gag kept getting worse. Didn't get a single laugh from me.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I can't deal with this thread any longer :roflolmao:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

That ant gag kept getting worse. Didn't get a single laugh from me.
Neither did Alicia's tilted office chair.
Those comic sight gags seemed so off-kilter considering that Peter and Alicia are being openly investigated by the FBI.

The scene of conflict between Alicia and Diane was pretty good.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 15, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eli being proud of Marissa was hilarious. He was just beaming that she didn't get duped by that guy.

Betting the series ends with Peter going back to jail for something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How is she working at a juice shop with her work experience. Also I thought the IDF was super tough but she looks scrawny.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 15, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The episode in general was great (although the race stuff is still something the show doesn't have the diversity to be high-brow about), but the Chumhum stuff was a weird filler going absolutely nowhere - although I like getting my Manhattan fix in whatever shape or form.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought this was a nice episode. The chumhum stuff went nowhere except maybe it helped Luca get a stronger position in the firm, I suppose, maybe.

The courtroom stuff was comically bland. The Carla from Scrubs should have been funnier. :mad:
Everything else was solid.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just don't get where they are going with the Diane and Cary as inadvertent racists plotline.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elsbeth and the NSA make for a good episode.

Elsbeth husband also owns.

Was it just me or did the episode kind of end without a resolution? Unless it supposed to be that one NSA guy leaked stuff somehow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 22, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tortolia posted:

I just don't get where they are going with the Diane and Cary as inadvertent racists plotline.

and now Cary and David Lee as advertent sexists, going on about Diane wanting a 'female run firm'.
I don't know if it's the character or the actor but Cary Agos seems a very unlikely person to be heading up "Chicago's 3rd biggest law firm".

Strange episode. The NSA guys were fun but:
How could Alicia get military security clearance? She was (is) suspected of vote rigging; she and Peter are being investigated by the FBI; and she's still under NSA surveillance.

And: at the end of the ep, she went to her office, and a few minutes later the lights went out and she knew that the lights were going to be turned off at 11:00 pm. And Jason was there, creeping around the hallways of Lockhart Ago & Lee for hours, hoping Alicia might return?! WTF was he doing there, he doesn't have an office, everyone else had gone home.
Was he ready to have sex with whoever happened to show up? Alicia or Lucca or Diane or...

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 22, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope David and Cary crush Diane.

Eli listening in on the grand jury trial mixed with the workers in the other courtroom was interesting and well done.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's pretty funny seeing Eli in the early episodes where he's a badass managing a PR crisis. Now he's a de-balled comedic character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

David Lee you are a beautiful schemer but :laffo: Alicia is a named partner. Final season who cares, right?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Cary retires to Colorado to specialize in representing people in the pot industry is what I took from this episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Cary retires to Colorado to specialize in representing people in the pot industry is what I took from this episode.
Yes seemed like he really wanted to smoke up burn one down in the office LOL.
This show's writers can be brutal. Cary's sort of had the Kalinda treatment lately so I guess it's time for him to walk off the show but it was done in such a non-dramatic, "don't let the door hit ya on the way out" manner.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There's a revolving door at that company, I don't think any power struggles come as a surprise to anyone at this point.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Good Wife comes to my hometown.
And makes jokes aboot it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

More NSA yay

Mr Tascioni is a very poor substitute for Elsbeth.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 18, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Peter is totally ending up in jail when the series ends.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Well I'll be damned, Tommy Chong really is Canadian.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The NSA/CSE stuff was amazing. All the relationship drama and Peter getting sued for being Peter was noticeably less so.

Also doesn't the firm have another PI, Robin or something? Did she die or leave when Kalinda left, or did the show forget she exists? I honestly can't remember if the show properly dropped her.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She joined Nathan Lane and Taye Diggs at their firm

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That was the perfect cap to the various NSA plotlines over the years.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Guilty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really doubt he had anything to do with the missing bullets. It's really the rigged election stuff they should have gone for.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The episode title was 'Verdict' but we didn't get one :derp:

Really good episode. Alicia doing the fake crying for Canning was a great moment.

But did Peter have an affair with Geneva Pine? He kept denying it but hard to believe him about that or anything.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I doubt he did, Peter has been pretty upfront about his adultery when asked about specific parties. He's certainly not going to lie when it could get him jailed to hide it; not like the perception isn't already that he can't keep it in his pants.

Michael J. Fox is a national treasure. Whomever decided to cast him as the biggest sleazeball lawyer in town deserves a raise, because he has been amazing on this show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
So what could be in the affidavits from Geneva Pine's staffers? Canning said there were complaints from them about her affair with Florrick and that she was going after him for ending it..

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Finale, get hype.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

OMG Will

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Good episode, awful closure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Will showing up was a nice touch.

A good finale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe a good season finale but that's supposed to wrap up the whole series?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
that was..interesting

creators explain the final scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNkGlTEdRk

Geno fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 9, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Geno posted:

that was..interesting

creators explain the final scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNkGlTEdRk

not available :(

someone give a tl;dr

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

Dearest Good Wife Friends,

"Thank you" is easy. "Goodbye" is harder.

Thank you for an extraordinary seven seasons of support, encouragement, and commitment to The Good Wife. To say that we could not have done this without you is an understatement.

This is the second time we've written you about the creative decisions involved with The Good Wife:—the first was with the end of Will Gardner; now it's with the end of the series. Both goodbyes involved difficult decisions, and if you found some value in the earlier explanation, you might find some in this one.

We wanted this series—a series that stretched over 156 episodes—to have some shape, some structural meaning. So after we realized we wouldn't be cancelled after 13 episodes, we started to devise a vanishing point we could write toward. That structure, in our minds, was simple. The show would start with a slap and end with a slap. Each slap would involve Alicia. This would be the bookend. She would slap someone who victimized her at the beginning of the series; and she would be slapped by someone she "victimized" at the end.

In this way, the victim would become the victimizer. This is the education of Alicia Florrick.

Alicia's character, to us, was about change. Each season she made choices she could never have made the season before. So over the course of seven years, she became tougher, more powerful, more cunning. Of course, we loved Alicia for this. Each decision made sense in the moment, and we forgave her or congratulated her each time. Even her decision in this last episode—the one that resulted in Diane being hurt—came out of her parental need to keep Grace from following in her path. She didn't want Grace to put her future on hold in order to stand by Peter.

But together all these decisions, legitimate as they were, added up to a character who was becoming more desensitized to her impact. She was becoming more and more like her husband, and, ultimately, Diane was the collateral damage.

That we found interesting. Over seven years could you completely remake your character? Could a victim become a victimizer?

(By the way, parenthetically, that's the cool thing about TV. It allows you to develop a concept that more resembles life. A character keeps changing over the course of seven years, but instead of reading about it in a novel over a weekend, you experience it over the actual seven years—with actors who age along with their characters—except for Grace who seemed to be 15-years-old for a few years. Sorry.)

One theme we kept returning to over and over in the series was: politics isn't out there. It's not something that happens in D.C. or on the news. It happens in our offices, our homes, our marriages. That's why we ended the series the way we did. Alicia is no longer a victim of politics. She is someone who takes charge, someone who controls the agenda.

On one level this is empowering. It allowed Alicia to control her fate. But it also changed her. Ironically, at the exact moment she found the power to leave Peter, she realized she had become Peter.

And that's tragic. Yes, Alicia's story contains tragedy. We still love her. And we hope you do too. The ending is supposed to be unsettling. But we don't think characters need to avoid tragedy to be embraced. We were tempted to have Alicia chase after a man in the end—stop him from getting on a train or an airplane at the last minute, hold him, kiss him. We like those endings. But there was something false about it here. It isn't who Alicia is. In the end, the story of Alicia isn't about who she'll be with; it's about who she'll be.

There is hope in the ending too—we believe. Alicia composes herself and marches toward the future. The two slaps to our mind are chapter endings and headings. If the slap that started the series woke Alicia up—helped her overcome her naivety about her husband and the world's corruption—then this second slap wakes her up to her own culpability. The question is what will she do with that?

Anyway, we should leave it there. We loved writing this series. We loved the comedy, the drama, the tragedy. We loved the lion telephone with Glenn Childs' voice. Elsbeth Tascioni facing off with Bob Balaban. Moo Cow. Eli's raised eyebrow. The Sexual harassment video Alicia and Will were forced to watch. Will clearing Alicia's desk. Cary's trip on mushrooms. Diane's weakness for guns. The YouTube videos the NSA guys sent back and forth.

It's hard to not write for these characters anymore. They seem very real to us—as if we'll turn a corner at the market and find Patti Nyholm there shopping for diapers; or turn another corner and find Judge Abernathy Feeling the Bern.

We've had fun. Thank you for having fun with us. We've also felt sad. Drama embraces both. So thank you for feeling sad with us too. And mostly, thank you for allowing these characters into your home every week for seven years.

It's been an honor to write for them, as well as for you.

With all our gratitude and affection,

Robert & Michelle King

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
And that's that.
I'm happy Alicia didn't run off with Mr. Can't-Make-Up-His-Mind.

quote:

She would slap someone who victimized her at the beginning of the series; and she would be slapped by someone she "victimized" at the end.
I thought the slap was funny because for several episodes Diane has been bragging about how great a law firm run by women would be, and then she works a trial with her best gal pal and partner and they end up hating each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought that was a good ending. If anything earned a weird, unsettling, inconclusive ending it's this show.

She couldn't make up her mind, and in the end turned people against her.

• Locked thread