Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ok, how many deaths per year constitutes a crisis worth defaulting to infringing on rights? Let's talk numbers.

Free speech doesn't hurt anyone but that doesn't stop "Shouting 'Fire!' in a crowded movie theater" from being the first thing brought up every time. When's the last time that happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I feel like we're about at the time where gun owners insist they're like the main character in Equilibrium, and could easily pwn the weak, unmanly soldiers of a Democratic-fascist regime when they send in the black helicopters to take their guns away. Anyone else feel that?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Effectronica posted:

I feel like we're about at the time where gun owners insist they're like the main character in Equilibrium, and could easily pwn the weak, unmanly soldiers of a Democratic-fascist regime when they send in the black helicopters to take their guns away. Anyone else feel that?

Dude, the first rule of mooks is that their power decreases as their numbers increase. Be fearful of the scary enforcer/right hand man, not the hordes of redshirts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ok, how many deaths per year constitutes a crisis worth defaulting to infringing on rights? Let's talk numbers.

You tell me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Effectronica posted:

They'd have to have some amazing gun-kata to survive multiple drone strikes.

Taking on the government might have been possible in 1787, ever since then things have gone awry in the arms race of proud patriots vs. the government

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

Free speech doesn't hurt anyone but that doesn't stop "Shouting 'Fire!' in a crowded movie theater" from being the first thing brought up every time. When's the last time that happened?

Are you are aware that metaphor comes from Schenck v. United States, a rather odious decision against free speech which has been subsequently abandoned?

Who What Now posted:

You tell me.

I'm not the one proposing restricting others' rights.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

I dunno, when that guy in Florida burnt all those Korans it got a lot of people in Afghanistan killed.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

RaySmuckles posted:

Certain minorities and transgender folks in particular off themselves or are assaulted all the time due to hateful speech though?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

menino posted:

The problem is that their dumb fearful political opinions have way too much influence over our laws. You can call them farmers if you want though.

So the problem is that people disagree with you?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Your fever dream fantasy is never going to happen. Hopefully Bernie Sanders will pass some nice mental health laws so that you will get the help you need :)

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Powercrazy posted:

So the problem is that people disagree with you?

Yes, it is a problem when paranoid racist pig ignorant Republicans living in bumfuck nowhere have an undue influence on the majority due to their artificially inflated voting power.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you are aware that metaphor comes from Schenck v. United States, a rather odious decision against free speech which has been subsequently abandoned?

Why is that even relevant, the basic principle - that rights are subject to limitations based on principles of harm - is very widely accepted and his use of a common means of communicating that idea has nothing to do with the minutiae of an unrelated legal decision from which the phrase originates.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

Your fever dream fantasy is never going to happen. Hopefully Bernie Sanders will pass some nice mental health laws so that you will get the help you need :)

Talking to yourself again? Another symptom for the records.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's cool, and good, that criminals have to risk death or serious injury as they ply their trade.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

-Troika- posted:

I think it's cool, and good, that criminals have to risk death or serious injury as they ply their trade.

Yeah, man, he coulda got away with like a hundred bucks or more. No way anyone's life is worth that.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

I dunno, when that guy in Florida burnt all those Korans it got a lot of people in Afghanistan killed.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Certain minorities and transgender folks in particular off themselves or are assaulted all the time due to hateful speech though?

YESSSS!!!!

So in response to the initial question:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your answer is "not many" which just so happens to be our opinion on 2nd amendment rights.
So since there are many gun related deaths its stands to reason that that right can and should be limited.

Thank you all, and good night!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Cool, thanks for the info, I wasn't arguing law theory. It is a "metaphor"

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Starshark posted:

Yeah, man, he coulda got away with like a hundred bucks or more. No way anyone's life is worth that.

These people have done the careful mental calculus on how they can kill somebody and legally get away with it. They fantasize about it. Nobody really gives a poo poo if their crappy DVD player is stolen or someone tries to steal $400 from a Burger King cash register... but that sweet sweet rush of taking another person's life with no consequences and be hailed as a hero by fellow mouthbreathers :shlick:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

I think it's extremely win that losing a library book and having to pay to replace it means that you'll be trying to kill me for being a criminal if you ever see me. Hopefully, your aim is really lovely and all the semen on your guns keeps them in rotten condition.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Periodiko posted:

Why is that even relevant, the basic principle - that rights are subject to limitations based on principles of harm - is very widely accepted and his use of a common means of communicating that idea has nothing to do with the minutiae of an unrelated legal decision from which the phrase originates.
It's relevant because the idea that rights should be restrained lest citizens do something unlawful rather than punishing those who cause actual harm after the fact is hardly "widely accepted." The decision from which it originates is a significant case in the history of the government's attempts to censor free speech during wartime in the name of public safety. Anyone who cites a metaphor originally used to justify suppression of dissent should rightly be viewed with skepticism.

RaySmuckles posted:

YESSSS!!!!

So in response to the initial question:

Your answer is "not many" which just so happens to be our opinion on 2nd amendment rights.
So since there are many gun related deaths its stands to reason that that right can and should be limited.

Thank you all, and good night!
I don't think DEM or Armyman were arguing that America needs hate speech laws by making that comparison.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Reminder that today, people have already died because of guns, and more will die because of guns before the day is over.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Starshark posted:

Apparently it was worth his life!

lynch_69 posted:

These people have done the careful mental calculus on how they can kill somebody and legally get away with it. They fantasize about it. Nobody really gives a poo poo if their crappy DVD player is stolen or someone tries to steal $400 from a Burger King cash register... but that sweet sweet rush of taking another person's life with no consequences and be hailed as a hero by fellow mouthbreathers :shlick:

Somehow I don't think the imaginary people in your head are the ones jerking off over those kinds of thoughts.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ddraig posted:

They'd have to have some amazing gun-kata to survive multiple drone strikes.

Taking on the government might have been possible in 1787, ever since then things have gone awry in the arms race of proud patriots vs. the government

Clearly we need to start drone strikes in Chicago to end gun violence.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

-Troika- posted:

Apparently it was worth his life!

Somehow I don't think the imaginary people in your head are the ones jerking off over those kinds of thoughts.

Well that at least explains why you defend guns and cops killing perps all the time. You have no idea about the value of a human life.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Starshark posted:

Well that at least explains why you defend guns and cops killing perps all the time. You have no idea about the value of a human life.

More like I value the lives of criminals willing to do an armed robbery in a restraunt full of people less than I do the other people in the restraunt.

Not all human lives have equal value.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

-Troika- posted:

More like I value the lives of criminals willing to do an armed robbery in a restraunt full of people less than I do the other people in the restraunt.

I bet you think you just said something that refutes my argument.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Your complaint that I don't value human lives like you do? That's not an argument, that's an opinion.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

So, in other words, you're a fifth-columnist attempting to undermine American values, or a huge sexist. It clearly says in the Declaration of Independence that "all men are created equal", so either you disagree or you take the linguistic sexism and make it more overt by declaring women to be inferior to men. If you actually reply to this substantially, it will take me a while to responds, as my home will be frozen over and the livestock will have all escaped.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

quote:

Dear Lord, our Heavenly Father,

You have given us Guns, in your wisdom. Yet there are those who would use your divine providence toward ill means. Thy commandment toward the Weapon is thus: That the right to obtain and bear it shall not be infringed. Therefore, I beg of you: If a Crazyperson should begin a spree intending harm against others because they are incel or otherwise of questionable emotional stability, please allow their Gun or Guns to jam, thus rendering their spree harmless.

Do this prayer once a day and post this to 20 of your friends or the ghost of Trayvon Martin will make all your Guns jam and steal your Skittles!

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

menino posted:

That's funny because bullets travel, often far enough to leave people's property
What percentage of bullets fired leave the property they were fired on?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Effectronica posted:

So, in other words, you're a fifth-columnist attempting to undermine American values, or a huge sexist. It clearly says in the Declaration of Independence that "all men are created equal", so either you disagree or you take the linguistic sexism and make it more overt by declaring women to be inferior to men. If you actually reply to this substantially, it will take me a while to responds, as my home will be frozen over and the livestock will have all escaped.

created equal. If you gradually morph into a piece of poo poo who points a gun at people to steal $50, than yes you are worth less than a surgeon or cop.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not the one proposing restricting others' rights.

You support restricting rights all the time. Rights are not something you intrinsically have, they are given to you by society and enforced by the state, and they can stop giving them to you at any time as well, such as when someone is incarcerated. And unless you're some sort of libertarian anarchist you support this. So your argument of "b-b-b-b-but you're taking away my rights" is just fallacious emotional scaremongering, and a tactic that was used by slave holders during the Civil War no less. The question isn't and has never been "Should this right be taken away" it's "should this right be given". So why should we give you the right to own a gun?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

You support restricting rights all the time. Rights are not something you intrinsically have, they are given to you by society and enforced by the state, and they can stop giving them to you at any time as well, such as when someone is incarcerated. And unless you're some sort of libertarian anarchist you support this. So your argument of "b-b-b-b-but you're taking away my rights" is just fallacious emotional scaremongering, and a tactic that was used by slave holders during the Civil War no less. The question isn't and has never been "Should this right be taken away" it's "should this right be given". So why should we give you the right to own a gun?

The right to own a gun's already been given in this country. No one needs to ask you for it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

-Troika- posted:

The right to own a gun's already been given in this country. No one needs to ask you for it.

"Because it already is" is not a valid reason to continue doing so. If it were we'd have never gotten rid of slavery.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 12, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

"Because it already is" is not a valid reason to continue doing so. If it were we'd have never gotten rid of slavery.

If that's the way you believe, feel free to start lobbying for the overturning of the 2nd Amendment. I won't hold my breath for your efforts, though.

The fact of the matter is, whether you like it or not, a majority of the populace, and the courts of the land, support individual gun ownership. Mass confiscation is a logistical impossibility as well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

-Troika- posted:

If that's the way you believe, feel free to start lobbying for the overturning of the 2nd Amendment. I won't hold my breath for your efforts, though.

The fact of the matter is, whether you like it or not, a majority of the populace, and the courts of the land, support individual gun ownership. Mass confiscation is a logistical impossibility as well.

Oh I have no illusions that anything meaningful will ever be done about guns in this nation. A man could literally shoot an entire elementary school while screaming "I'm doing this solely because I had access to guns!" and we still wouldn't pass a single law to prevent it from happening again. There are too many guns and too many people clinging to them like the security blanket they are, and any effort beyond Internet posting trying to change anything is wasted. We will continue to be the only developed nation on the planet well after me and my children pass away, until we inevitably destroy ourselves outright.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Who What Now posted:

until we inevitably destroy ourselves outright.
And take everyone else with us.

Maybe if other countries had more guns they'd have a chance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

When a gun fires the bullet that ends a life, the gun is partly responsible for the death. Not guilty, because it is an inanimate object, but responsible. It is involved. It is the cause of the death. The death occurred because of the gun.

I hear the killer breathed air, and drank water, too.

Clearly the environment bears responsibility for this terrible crime for sustaining their life.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

created equal. If you gradually morph into a piece of poo poo who points a gun at people to steal $50, than yes you are worth less than a surgeon or cop.

Well, unfortunately for you, Americans don't idolize caste societies. Fervently advocating for underclasses, instead of pretending they don't exist, is simply seditious, unAmerican behavior, and incompatible with living here. I would suggest Saudi Arabia or Bhutan as more your speed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

Oh I have no illusions that anything meaningful will ever be done about guns in this nation. A man could literally shoot an entire elementary school while screaming "I'm doing this solely because I had access to guns!" and we still wouldn't pass a single law to prevent it from happening again. There are too many guns and too many people clinging to them like the security blanket they are, and any effort beyond Internet posting trying to change anything is wasted. We will continue to be the only developed nation on the planet well after me and my children pass away, until we inevitably destroy ourselves outright.

I think a more realistic scenario would be him blaming your posting, but I don't see the first amendment going anywhere either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

I think a more realistic scenario would be him blaming your posting, but I don't see the first amendment going anywhere either.

No, I like these threads. For some reason guns make people in D&D flip out even more than they do about Israel.

• Locked thread