Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Powercrazy posted:

Whoa. A little touchy about guns aren't we tezzor?

This is the KNIFE thread. If you want to talk about guns, make a thread. Not everything is about you.

There's really no way to overstate the idiocy of gun fanboys but this is a pretty good example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
frankly, its disgusting that we cant get bipartisan support for a serrated knife ban

e: i mean just look at the things:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's for sawing with.

If you tried to cut someone with it you'd probably drop it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
This...is the greatest knife ever made. The Ka-Bar Marine Corps Fighting Knife. Seven inches, more than enough to kill anything that moves.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tezzor posted:

Because knives are less inherently dangerous than firearms, have a legitimate reason for widespread ownership, and do not actively make society worse. I hope this has clarified this obvious matter to the standards of a sniveling toy-obsessed cretin, OP

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/one-million-killed-by-machete-club-and-gun-rwanda-remembers-its-genocide-20-years-later/

Shut the gently caress up, Tezzor.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

misdirectomy posted:

You can choke someone to death, we should probably chop everyone's hands off.

But what about the coming spree of fatal stump clubbing?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Which point do you think this disputes?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Here's a quick way to tell that gun fanboys are not serious when they argue that knives or pointy sticks are just as good at killing people as guns: their ownership and advocacy of guns and the reasons they forward as to why. If knives were really as good at killing people as guns then it wouldn't matter if guns were banned because they would be equally capable of defending themselves and succeeding in their half baked revolutions with knives, which are simpler to use and maintain and substantially less expensive

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
This thread is stupid, as are gun fanboys.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Armyman, I assume you were in the Army, man. Question: Why do you think the Army gave you all a bunch of guns if your bare hands are just as good at killing humans as those guns? Seems like that was a huge waste of time and money

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tezzor posted:

Armyman, I assume you were in the Army, man. Question: Why do you think the Army gave you all a bunch of guns if your bare hands are just as good at killing humans as those guns? Seems like that was a huge waste of time and money

I dunno, ask the Ghurkas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10354458/Gurkha-fought-off-Afghan-insurgent-in-hand-to-hand-combat.html

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It would seem like a lovely practice to not give Gurkhas guns. My great grandfather was a Gurkha and even though he was adept at hand to hand combat when he fought in Gallipolli even the notoriously lovely British army decided that it would probably be better to do that with a gun.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tezzor posted:

Here's a quick way to tell that gun fanboys are not serious when they argue that knives or pointy sticks are just as good at killing people as guns: their ownership and advocacy of guns and the reasons they forward as to why. If knives were really as good at killing people as guns then it wouldn't matter if guns were banned because they would be equally capable of defending themselves and succeeding in their half baked revolutions with knives, which are simpler to use and maintain and substantially less expensive

It's almost like people will kill you with whatever they have at hand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Australia.html

Should we ban Louisville Sluggers? How about crow bars?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Armyman25 posted:

I understand you were in the army and are also a gun fanboy so let me explain this in several steps. Guns are better at killing humans than other ways. That does not mean that guns are the only way to kill humans. It also does not mean that there have been no humans killed in other ways. The premise of your argument -that all killings with guns are premeditated affairs committed by people who are ready, willing and able to kill the same number of people by any other means - is unsupported by facts or logic.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 6, 2015

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If only the Republicans would stop blocking Smart Sheath technology then things like this wouldn't happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5C8I9BJjSg

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Powercrazy posted:

Different tool for the job. When I'm hunting for example, I'll carry my field knife with me. It's nothing fancy, but it is incredibly useful. Just because some people misuse tools doesn't mean the tools shouldn't exist.

Oh, so you mean guns and knives don't have exactly the same level of lethality?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tezzor posted:

I understand you were in the army and are also a gun fanboy so let me explain this in several steps. Guns are better at killing humans than other ways. That does not mean that guns are the only way to kill humans. It also does not mean that there have been no humans killed in other ways. The premise of your argument -that all killings with guns are premeditated affairs committed by people who are ready, willing and able to kill the same number of people by any other means - is unsupported by facts or logic.

Aww look at this guy suddenly pretending he knows how to make reasoned points.

Armyman25 posted:

Anecdote is not data.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

Oh, so you mean guns and knives don't have exactly the same level of lethality?

It is well known that a death via gun is not an honorable death, and those that suffer that fate are condemned to languish forever in the abyss. Those killed by knives or baseball bats on the other hand are invited to ride to Valhalla, all shiny and chrome.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

im the beltway knife thrower, ama

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm just very confused, because I want to believe gun advocates when they say that weapon of choice has zero bearing on whether someone will kill someone or not. If that's true, why carry guns, considering they're much heavier and more expensive than the equally lethal pocket knife?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"The right tool for the job." Is probably a difficult phrase for you to understand since I doubt you have ever touched a tool, let alone used one to do any work. But luckily society has people with much more foresight then you and thus we have better tools then we did 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 years ago, even though for many things, the tools we had last century would still technically work.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Powercrazy posted:

"The right tool for the job." Is probably a difficult phrase for you to understand since I doubt you have ever touched a tool, let alone used one to do any work. But luckily society has people with much more foresight then you and thus we have better tools then we did 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 years ago, even though for many things, the tools we had last century would still technically work.

I thought there was no right tool for the job, since someone that wants to kill someone will use a rock if they can't get access to a knife or a gun?

Sorry you're getting butthurt enough to make this personal, just trying to understand.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

Which jobs are guns the right tools for? Perhaps there could be a system to ensure guns are only used in tituations where they are the best choice, and restrict them from being used other times.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nevvy Z posted:

Which jobs are guns the right tools for? Perhaps there could be a system to ensure guns are only used in tituations where they are the best choice, and restrict them from being used other times.

Why?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i agree with powercrazy here, 12 vets a day legally using their second amendment rights to self defense against themselves should be celebrated, not mourned. each of these brave Soldiers is doing their part in the final battle against spiraling debt and laying down their lives for the good of their nation

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

For the same reason you can't drive cars on sidewalks - the right tool for the right job.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Gun otaku, when you are playing first-or-third-person shooter and you start out with your bare hands or a melee weapon, and then later in the game you get access to a full-auto machinegun, you of course ignore it because you're 100% as efficient at killing without it right

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nevvy Z posted:

You mean, like, a system of rules recognized as regulating the actions of people, which can be enforced by the imposition of penalties?

Title 18 of the United States Code, sections 921-931?
and
26 USC 5801-5872?
and
Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, sections 478.1-478.171?
and
25 CFR 25.1-25.57?

And additional ones in each and every state?

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i agree with powercrazy here, 12 vets a day legally using their second amendment rights to self defense against themselves should be celebrated, not mourned. each of these brave Soldiers is doing their part in the final battle against spiraling debt and laying down their lives for the good of their nation
Why always post suggesting suicide in every thread?

Btw just ban all forms of self defense, eventually after being sodomized by petty theft and being unable to defend for years, the enraged working class population will start tying and beating thieves by themselves like in Chile.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wiregrind posted:

Why always post suggesting suicide in every thread?

Btw just ban all forms of self defense, eventually after being sodomized by petty theft and being unable to defend for years, the enraged working class population will start tying and beating thieves by themselves like in Chile.

more americans heroically exercise their rights to defend themselves with a firearm against themselves than they do against strangers. all this talk about defending against burglars in the home is less important than the real epidemic, being able to defend against the burglar in your head, and we do a disservice by not applauding these brave and noble americans at every opportunity

after all, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and more often than not they are the same person

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Maybe we could look at other ways to combat petty crime than allowing anyone to instantly escalate the situation to death or serious injury.

Isn't a knife a pretty lovely weapon for self-defence anyway? It seems like you're much more likely to end up getting stabbed than before there was a knife involved.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

These "guns" sound pretty useful.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't think anyone was arguing they weren't useful for killing things?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

Maybe we could look at other ways to combat petty crime than allowing anyone to instantly escalate the situation to death or serious injury.

Isn't a knife a pretty lovely weapon for self-defence anyway? It seems like you're much more likely to end up getting stabbed than before there was a knife involved.

Uh, actually, if you look at the OP you'll see that knives are just as deadly as guns. Why based on the OP China has an epidemic of one (1) mass stabbing a year, where nine (9) coordinated terrorists kill as six (6) sleeping people each with knives. This is perfectly analogous to one (1) of the nine hundred ninety four (994) (e: my bad, good thing I rechecked) two-hundred ninety seven (297) mass shootings in the US this year where one (1) crazy dude killed ten (10) people with a gun.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 6, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Agree. But that is a separate issue from guns or knives.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

more americans heroically exercise their rights to defend themselves with a firearm against themselves than they do against strangers. all this talk about defending against burglars in the home is less important than the real epidemic, being able to defend against the burglar in your head, and we do a disservice by not applauding these brave and noble americans at every opportunity

after all, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and more often than not they are the same person

Also this sounds dangerously close to a mental health argument, and as we all know, mental health is 100% unrelated to anything and is only brought up to maintain the status quo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

XMNN posted:

Knives are indeed the "wrong tool" for the job (of self-defense). They are really bad at self-defense, but are still quite deadly! What a strange world we live in.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
PYF knives that aspire to drink human blood

spyderco civilian

loveless-style subhilt fighter

crkt hissatsu

microtech halo

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Knives aren't that dangerous unless you learn their names. Then they have to obey you no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SedanChair posted:

PYF knives that aspire to drink human blood

spyderco civilian

loveless-style subhilt fighter

crkt hissatsu

microtech halo

I wish they made just like, a small bladed knife with a big handle. My box opener is rubbish, I want a better replacement.

Also how do you cut and/or stab anything with the top one? It looks dumb.

• Locked thread