Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Powercrazy posted:

Also this sounds dangerously close to a mental health argument, and as we all know, mental health is 100% unrelated to anything and is only brought up to maintain the status quo.

This is basically accurate. Only a small percentage of murders are mental illness-related, whereas a majority are gun related. Of course no one is against more availability for treatment for mental illness, but let's be clear that when it comes up after a mass shooting it's almost entirely a red herring to distract from firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What about suicides of the type thug lessons was referring to?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
*bodies strewn everywhere* This doesn't look like a mental health issue to me!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Tezzor posted:

This is basically accurate. Only a small percentage of murders are mental illness-related, whereas a majority are gun related. Of course no one is against more availability for treatment for mental illness, but let's be clear that when it comes up after a mass shooting it's almost entirely a red herring to distract from firearms.

You are never going to convince anyone that is on the fence about gun control with this type of inane bullshit.

"Guns are the devil and the person behind them doesn't even matter!"

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm not aware of any recent mass shooter who wanted to receive mental health treatment but could not find a doctor and/or afford generic antipsychotics. I'm not even aware of any recent mass shooter who was on record realizing that they were dangerously mentally ill. Can someone explain how "expanded mental healthcare" would prevent these things? It seems like to be effective we're talking about requiring everyone to get regular mental health checkups which you must go to or be punished where a doctor can declare you incompetent to own firearms against your will. Somehow I doubt gun fanboys would actually be in favor of this.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

crabcakes66 posted:

You are never going to convince anyone that is on the fence about gun control with this type of inane bullshit.

"Guns are the devil and the person behind them doesn't even matter!"

I agree that many sentences are silly when they are deliberately rephrased to make no sense, by an idiot. For example, the sentence "the earth revolves around the sun" if rephrased to say "the sun is three feet tall and is mostly cabbage by volume" ceases to be scientifically accurate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tezzor posted:

I'm not aware of any recent mass shooter who wanted to receive mental health treatment but could not find a doctor and/or afford generic antipsychotics. I'm not even aware of any recent mass shooter who was on record realizing that they were dangerously mentally ill. Can someone explain how "expanded mental healthcare" would prevent these things? It seems like to be effective we're talking about requiring everyone to get regular mental health checkups which you must go to or be punished where a doctor can declare you incompetent to own firearms against your will. Somehow I doubt gun fanboys would actually be in favor of this.

Generally a good mental healthcare budget includes making people aware of when they maybe need to see a therapist and making therapists available.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

What about suicides of the type thug lessons was referring to?
Talking about it is either a silent taboo or an overblown joke. If you ban weapons how are people going to kill themselves? Parks everywhere would become the new japanese suicide forest.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OwlFancier posted:

Generally a good mental healthcare budget includes making people aware of when they maybe need to see a therapist and making therapists available.

Great, but you're missing the point that none of these guys would voluntarily go to a therapist. Also that the number of murders which are related to mental illness are like two orders of magnitude less than those related to guns.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://www.propublica.org/article/myth-vs-fact-violence-and-mental-health

quote:

To separate the facts from the media hype, we talked to Dr. Jeffrey Swanson, a professor in psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the Duke University School of Medicine, and one of the leading researchers on mental health and violence. Swanson talked about the dangers of passing laws in the wake of tragedy ― and which new violence-prevention strategies might actually work.

Here is a condensed version of our conversation, edited for length and clarity.

Mass shootings are relatively rare events that account for only a tiny fraction of American gun deaths each year. But when you look specifically at mass shootings ― how big a factor is mental illness?

On the face of it, a mass shooting is the product of a disordered mental process. You don't have to be a psychiatrist: what normal person would go out and shoot a bunch of strangers?

But the risk factors for a mass shooting are shared by a lot of people who aren't going to do it. If you paint the picture of a young, isolated, delusional young man ― that probably describes thousands of other young men.

A 2001 study looked specifically at 34 adolescent mass murderers, all male. 70 percent were described as a loner. 61.5 percent had problems with substance abuse. 48 percent had preoccupations with weapons. 43.5 percent had been victims of bullying. Only 23 percent had a documented psychiatric history of any kind ― which means 3 out of 4 did not.

People with serious mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, do have a slightly higher risk of committing violence than members of the general population. Yet most violence is not attributable to mental illness. Can you walk us through the numbers?

People with serious mental illness are 3 to 4 times more likely to be violent than those who aren't. But the vast majority of people with mental illness are not violent and never will be.

Most violence in society is caused by other things.

Even if we had a perfect mental health care system, that is not going to solve our gun violence problem. If we were able to magically cure schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depression, that would be wonderful, but overall violence would go down by only about 4 percent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Great, but you're missing the point that none of these guys would voluntarily go to a therapist. Also that the number of murders which are related to mental illness are like two orders of magnitude less than those related to guns.

They probably aren't going to voluntarily go to a therapist when they're at the point of murdering people but generally there is some buildup to that, people rarely wake up and decide to murder shitloads of people at random.

Good healthcare is preventative, not reactionary.

quote:

"A 2001 study looked specifically at 34 adolescent mass murderers, all male. 70 percent were described as a loner. 61.5 percent had problems with substance abuse. 48 percent had preoccupations with weapons. 43.5 percent had been victims of bullying. Only 23 percent had a documented psychiatric history of any kind ― which means 3 out of 4 did not."

So many spree killers are one or multiple of: Self-isolating, self-medicating, fetishizing instruments of violence, and suffering from abuse, but comparatively few have been treated for any of these things.

Does this tell you they aren't ill or does it tell you they aren't being treated? Because any one of those would be something that falls under the purview of mental healthcare to remedy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 6, 2015

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

the english banned knives and now they live in a dystopic hellhole

though to be fair it was like that before they banned knives too

It's pretty nice outside the cities. We're not very good at making the cities livable.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OwlFancier posted:

They probably aren't going to voluntarily go to a therapist when they're at the point of murdering people but generally there is some buildup to that, people rarely wake up and decide to murder shitloads of people at random.

So many spree killers are one or multiple of: Self-isolating, self-medicating, fetishizing instruments of violence, and suffering from abuse, but comparatively few have been treated for any of these things.

Does this tell you they aren't ill or does it tell you they aren't being treated? Because any one of those would be something that falls under the purview of mental healthcare to remedy.

Actually they won't go to the doctor at all because they believe they are fine, and as they are loners with no social group there is little or no outside pressure to push them. I'm glad you've solved the problem of how to make the severely mentally ill regularly go to the psychiatrist by the way, but a) this still will present a negligible difference in violent crime, and b) why are you posting here instead of publishing your groundbreaking findings?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tezzor posted:

Actually they won't go to the doctor at all because they believe they are fine, and as they are loners with no social group there is little or no outside pressure to push them. I'm glad you've solved the problem of how to make the mentally ill go to the psychiatrist by the way, but why are you posting here instead of publishing your groundbreaking findings?

It might be different in America but where I live people do not spring from the ground as adults, fully independent of society, and choose to integrate only afterwards.

Nobody is immune from social pressure, or at least do not start immune to it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wiregrind posted:

Talking about it is either a silent taboo or an overblown joke. If you ban weapons how are people going to kill themselves? Parks everywhere would become the new japanese suicide forest.

firearms are the most popular method of suicide because it's quick, effective, and relatively painless - all useful qualities when a more complicated or scary suicide method may cause one to rethink one's actions. this is why we need to encourage gun ownership as much as possible, so as to prevent people from having to second guess their dedication to freedom

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OwlFancier posted:

It might be different in America but where I live people do not spring from the ground as adults, fully independent of society, and choose to integrate only afterwards.

Nobody is immune from social pressure, or at least do not start immune to it.

Like everyone else, I'm not opposed to better mental health accessibility, and said so clearly up-front. The problem is that when gun advocates cry about it they don't mean it, and it's just another way to deflect criticism from their toys. And even if they were serious, which again they are not, the difference in violent crime would be minimal compared to that from reducing the number and availability of firearms.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's pretty nice outside the cities. We're not very good at making the cities livable.
The Germans tried to help, but you lot just went and built them back the same way. Classic British stubbornness.

All knives really should have blunt tips like this one:

I can say from experience that it is practically impossible to stab anyone with that knife.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 6, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://abc7ny.com/news/oregon-gunman-ranted-in-manifesto-not-having-girlfriend/1018467/

quote:

Harper-Mercer complained in the manifesto about not having a girlfriend, and he seemed to feel like he was very rational while others around him were not, the official said.

He wrote something to the effect of: "Other people think I'm crazy, but I'm not. I'm the sane one," the official said. The manifesto was a couple of pages long.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Here's a question I have to posters that think that Gun Control is dumb: If it's a bad policy for the government to ban, limit or regulate the ownership of firearms, then why is it okay for private businesses or entities, especially ones that operates a publicly used space, to deny you the ability to bring firearms into that space, particularly if said entities do not take steps to reasonably assure your safety? If the idea of widespread gun ownership is to deter violence, doesn't it defeat the purpose if the places you frequent every day don't allow you to act on that deterrence?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Here's a question I have to posters that think that Gun Control is dumb: If it's a bad policy for the government to ban, limit or regulate the ownership of firearms, then why is it okay for private businesses or entities, especially ones that operates a publicly used space, to deny you the ability to bring firearms into that space, particularly if said entities do not take steps to reasonably assure your safety? If the idea of widespread gun ownership is to deter violence, doesn't it defeat the purpose if the places you frequent every day don't allow you to act on that deterrence?

I think people who believe gun control is dumb also tend to believe they should be allowed to carry guns everywhere.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

SirPhoebos posted:

There was someone arguing for pages and pages in a gun thread that property owners be liable for murders that occur on their property because they refused to let someone bring a gun to protect themselves. So there you go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would be funny if they were also liable for murders caused by allowing people to bring guns on the property.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SirPhoebos posted:

It's not actually constitutional for business to ban you from carrying within their premises, however it's untested. Starbucks' policy isn't a law, and has no impact on the legal status of carrying firearms. Hope this primer on the difference between the government and private industry has been informative, and helpful in your quest to understand society.

Also there are no laws preventing anyone from carrying legal knives anywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

By that logic non disclosure agreements are unconstitutional because they impede your first amendment rights but I don't believe anyone has successfully argued against them on that basis.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

By that logic non disclosure agreements are unconstitutional because they impede your first amendment rights but I don't believe anyone has successfully argued against them on that basis.

They are unenforced, because if you violate NDAs you typically lose the contract (money) tied to that agreement. You won't end up in jail, nor even fined by violating them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

They are unenforced, because if you violate NDAs you typically lose the contract (money) tied to that agreement. You won't end up in jail, nor even fined by violating them.

Which means that presumably starbucks is legally allowed to deny you entry on the basis of your not assenting to the conditions of occupancy of their property, and can call the police to book you for trespassing if you don't gently caress off?

I mean, your work doesn't have to keep letting you in the building if you break an NDA, for example.

Also I'm pretty sure you can end up with a civil suit for breaching an NDA.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just 'cause it's always fun to bring facts to a slap fight :

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...n_2009-2013.xls

code:
Weapons								2009			2010			2011			2012			2013
Rifles								351			367			332			298			285
Shotguns							423			366			362			310			308
Knives or cutting instruments					1,836			1,732			1,716			1,604			1,490
Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.)				623			549			502			522			428
Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.)			817			769			751			707			687
Knives are almost three times as likely to be used as a murder weapon that rifles and shotguns combined.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Which means that presumably starbucks is legally allowed to deny you entry on the basis of your not assenting to the conditions of occupancy of their property, and can call the police to book you for trespassing if you don't gently caress off?

This part is untested. You could argue it either way, and stay consistent. But afaik, there is no consensus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pretty easily tested? Practicing the first amendment is grounds for termination of employment and denial of access to property. Why would the second be different?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...n_2009-2013.xls

code:
Weapons								2009			2010			2011			2012			2013
Rifles								351			367			332			298			285
Shotguns							423			366			362			310			308
Knives or cutting instruments					1,836			1,732			1,716			1,604			1,490
Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.)				623			549			502			522			428
Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.)			817			769			751			707			687
Knives are almost three times as likely to be used as a murder weapon that rifles and shotguns combined.

And pistols are over three times as likely as knives what's your point

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Wow, I'm flummoxed. I'm glad handguns weren't invented, who knows how many deaths related to those you'd have! They could have potentially undermined your whole point!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

but why exclude handguns which are used most frequently in homicides and sucicides and, last i checked, were firearms (guns)

also lol that firearms of unstated type still used used more often than knives

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You're being stupid powercrazy. You can be barred from private property for virtually any reason

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
you cannot bar me from private property, it is an unconstitutional restriction on my right to freedom to travel the land and walk the earth

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

You're being stupid powercrazy. You can be barred from private property for virtually any reason

Fully private property, like say a private residence, yes. For a quasi-public property like starbucks, it's not so cut-and-dry. There are loads of cases about people being kicked out of businesses for various reasons, some of those are justified (too drunk, disorderly, etc), some of them, the people kicked out actually got reimbursed. That isn't even counting protected classes etc.

Just saying it isn't a 100% "solved" issue.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

but why exclude handguns which are used most frequently in homicides and sucicides and, last i checked, were firearms (guns)

also lol that firearms of unstated type still used used more often than knives

Ask the democrats next time the propose gun control that targets "scary" long arms instead of handguns.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

Ask the democrats next time the propose gun control that targets "scary" long arms instead of handguns.

What would be your response if they proposed gun control that targets pistols?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Powercrazy posted:

some of them, the people kicked out actually got reimbursed. That isn't even counting protected classes etc.
What's an example of someone being kicked out of a business, getting reimbursed (for what damages?), and weren't a protected class?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What would be your response if they proposed gun control that targets pistols?

If it were about standardizing the laws across all states, it would be a cool+good thing. If it were about pistol grip aesthetics or caliber sizes, i'd roll my eyes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

If it were about standardizing the laws across all states, it would be a cool+good thing. If it were about pistol grip aesthetics or caliber sizes, i'd roll my eyes.

So you're for gun control.

e: unless by standardize you mean make them all equally loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

twodot posted:

What's an example of someone being kicked out of a business, getting reimbursed (for what damages?), and weren't a protected class?

Most likely protected conduct, e.g., free speech
(or bearing arms)

• Locked thread