Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Hey, it's an ECU thread. I've been running various Miatas on Megasquirt 3 for a few years now. First car was a DIY kit with a MS3X. 2nd car is a Revenant built MS3. (http://www.trackspeedengineering.com/MSLabs-Megasquirt-MS3-Basic.html) I'm also using a Nexus tablet running Shadow Dash MS as a digital dash.

MS install, still need to prune the engine harness. Most of those wires go nowhere.

Potato quality dashboard shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Also keep in mind that there is a large variation in injector quality at idle. I know in the Miata community Injector Dynamics is talked about in high regard since you can get a decent idle out of them.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Some things to watch out for:

You need to get a tablet that support USB OTG and charging. As far as I could tell almost everything requires a custom ROM to do this. You also need to make sure that the tablet can charge at 2A while in OTG mode. My 1st gen Nexus 7 can't and it's only really useful for a sprint race car. I'd say I get about 2 hours or so of battery life out of it. I suppose breaking it open and wiring an appropriate source directly to the battery terminals is an option as well. Sometimes Shadow Dash just stops communicating with the MS3, no idea why. I have oil pressure and temp visible in the OEM dash still so it doesn't affect me that much. It 'hangs' sometimes for a second or so, I'm thinking this is just the Nexus 7 barely having enough grunt to run it.

But having numeric coolant temp and AFR on my dash is very nice.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
You should connect that to a switched source. On in run only would likely be fine.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
With a knock sensor you're going to way ways to input RPM otherwise it's pretty useless. Without RPM inputs you'd have to set the threshold to be louder than the motor running normally at redline, so small events at mid-rpm will be missed.

Take some pictures of the Megasquirt and I'll ID it for you. If it's in a case I'll need to see the top of the board.

The simulator is likely this. http://www.jbperf.com/JimStim/

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
You don't need TPS. Accel enrichment can be done off delta MAP. (TPS is optional on Megasquirt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
w/r/t not needing a TPS, for some reason I read that as TPS & MAP needed.

Do you need a cam sensor to be able to separate intake from compression for the injector timing? I suppose you could shoot 1/2 as much each time and have one of the shots hit the valve. Seems... mediocre.

• Locked thread