Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

This clearly makes his death the Lion's fault if they were paying him so little that he could not afford a service to take care of his yard.

I mean, it IS Detroit, dude.

Wages be depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Any future Lion has a great excuse for getting out of yard work.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Lt. Chips posted:

What really annoys me about the game Sunday is Caldwell making the terrible call with around two and a half minutes left to kick a field goal when down 7. That is the objectively wrong call, and it should have gotten his team beat. But because he was coaching against John 'runrunrunpunt' Fox, he not only got away with it, but got to look like a genius to all the meatball idiots who defend spineless decision making by pointing at outcomes. You could even say Fox let him off 'em the hook.

I'm not a Lions fan, but I'm angry about Jim Caldwell.

This was really funny because even the Lions radio crew were just blasting him for the call. And after the game they still had the attitude of 'it was a dumb call that worked out'

so at least people weren't falling for it

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bort Bortles posted:

This clearly makes his death the Lion's fault if they were paying him so little that he could not afford a service to take care of his yard.

sometimes a man's just gotta mow his own yard.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

4th down bot actually did not hate that call. I don't know how much anyone cares about win expectancy and all that, but it was minimally different kicking or going in that spot. I was pretty confused with it when the call was made as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gtkor posted:

4th down bot actually did not hate that call. I don't know how much anyone cares about win expectancy and all that, but it was minimally different kicking or going in that spot. I was pretty confused with it when the call was made as well.

If the colts had kicked instead of turning the ball over on downs the time before the garbage touchdown, and not had the extra point blocked on garbage TD, they would have only needed a field goal to tie after recovering the onside kick
(which they didn't) , so bot is always right and Caldwell always owns. Lions Bitch starts now!

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I mean let's not get carried away with it. It's not like it is an end all be all, it just takes a look at win expectancy based on a specific decision. Even the eye test would dictate you are in a pretty rough spot later in the 4th quarter down a TD either way, it is just whether or not you are likely to pick up the 1st or if you can get a stop.

It isn't like it is hard to see either side of it. You have a 4th and 4 and you need a TD at some point. It isn't a high percentage scenario either way, and you are likely going to have to stop them.

Acting like it is some wild decision either way is a little weird.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Caldwell was pleased with the way Stafford turned to his feet to make plays against the Bears, which included the conversion of a pair of third downs. That said, the coach isn't planning to start scripting more carries for the pocket passer in upcoming game plans, citing injury concerns.

"Personally, I think we still want to do it judicially because anytime you start hearing a quarterback that runs around a whole lot, it's pretty clear what happens to them in this league," Caldwell said.

Matt Stafford, the running quarterback.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Lions just lost another game with terrible playcalling, including limited throws, a reliance on a run game that went nowhere, and a series from the one yard line that ended in zero points.

Naturally, Ford Field plays Weapon Of Choice by Fatboy Slim as the Lions leave the field.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think at this point the Lions could win more games without a coaching staff.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I will coach the Lions.

Option Football all day.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Lt. Chips posted:

What really annoys me about the game Sunday is Caldwell making the terrible call with around two and a half minutes left to kick a field goal when down 7. That is the objectively wrong call, and it should have gotten his team beat. But because he was coaching against John 'runrunrunpunt' Fox, he not only got away with it, but got to look like a genius to all the meatball idiots who defend spineless decision making by pointing at outcomes. You could even say Fox let him off 'em the hook.

I'm not a Lions fan, but I'm angry about Jim Caldwell.

John Fox is the kinda guy that punts on a 2nd and 8

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Parallelwoody posted:

I think at this point the Lions could win more games without a coaching staff.

You jest, but it's really depressing seeing some of the most talented Lions teams of my lifetime being squandered by bad coaching, particularly last season. At least during the Millen years you could just chalk it up to having a team utterly devoid of talent, but Mayhew has done a much better job drafting. He just whiffed about as hard as he could on the Caldwell hire. Is there any coach in the NFL right now more deserving of our fraud meme?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Jim if you are reading this, come back to Indy, I miss your emotionless reaction to just letting the QB be the head coach while you cash a huge check weekly. Come back!!!!!!!!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AsInHowe posted:

The Lions just lost another game with terrible playcalling, including limited throws, a reliance on a run game that went nowhere, and a series from the one yard line that ended in zero points.

The Fox announcers were jerking off in regards to Joe Lombardi being in the press box. "They're finally doing what the fans wanted, opening the passing game up and throwing to Megatron."

Then they basically decided they didn't want to score in the second half. Defense gave up at some point too.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Joe Lombardi is the only coach I can think of that goes away from what's working for you. Better establish this running game that's not working out!

Fire Joe Lombardi!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was at Ford Field yesterday and there was a mass exodus after we called a run play on 3rd and 13. There were 10 minutes left in an 11-point game.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Caldwell not making any coaching changes because "they've won before and that leads me to believe we can win again". His press conferences deserve a GDT.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Beating the Bears in overtime is what qualifies as a win in his mind? "Well we scored a touchdown, once. I don't see a need to make a coaching change, nor any offensive adjustments, ever. We just need to execute." -Jim Caldwell, probably.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I agree with Caldwell, the defense has won games before and it's too soon to jettison Austin. The only game that this offense has ever won for the defense is last week's Bears game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

Beating the Bears in overtime is what qualifies as a win in his mind? "Well we scored a touchdown, once. I don't see a need to make a coaching change, nor any offensive adjustments, ever. We just need to execute." -Jim Caldwell, probably.

He means they went 11-5 and got to the playoffs last year.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I agree with Caldwell, the defense has won games before and it's too soon to jettison Austin. The only game that this offense has ever won for the defense is last week's Bears game.

Ahhh yes, it would be quite Caldwellian to dump Austin before Joe "Assface" Lombardi.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

He means they went 11-5 and got to the playoffs last year.

Last year our offense sucked after the Giants game and the defense outright won games for us despite the lovely game planning and coaching. I'm alright with keeping TA around but from Mayhew on down they need to dumpster these garbage coaches. They won on talent that they've either let walk or misutilized and bullshit luck like the Atlanta game isn't going to keep happening obviously.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

TERRORIST LEADER JOE LOMBARDI CONFIRMED DEAD

Jim Bob Cooter is the new OC

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Washburn is out too

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

They finally read my posts!!!!!!!!!!!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hooray http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000566406/article/lions-firing-offensive-coordinator-joe-lombardi

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

tinstaach posted:

TERRORIST LEADER JOE LOMBARDI CONFIRMED DEAD

Jim Bob Cooter is the new OC

Yesssss 2nd favorite UT QB ever

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Washburn is out too

The younger Washburn.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
hah hah that's what I get for not looking it up before I make a post!

Parmesan Basil fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 26, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sitting at my desk humming "Jim Bob Cooter" to the tune of Jocko Homo by Devo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

For anyone who didn't see it in N/V, Jim Bob Cooter was arrested in 2009 for breaking into a woman's apartment and climbing into bed with her

lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

holy poo poo Jim Bob Cooter is his actual name

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Intruder posted:

For anyone who didn't see it in N/V, Jim Bob Cooter was arrested in 2009 for breaking into a woman's apartment and climbing into bed with her

lol

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal Intruder?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah, mostly because I haven't climbed into anyone's bed to alleviate the loneliness

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Let he who has not been a home invader cast the first stone.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
I am glad to see the legend of Jim Bob Cooter begin an exciting new chapter

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

See how the center was assigned to block the defensive end? That didn't work. This is why they fired the OL coaches.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

They should fire all of the coaches in Detroit and the entire front office and the owner.

And most of the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Cruel and Unusual posted:

See how the center was assigned to block the defensive end? That didn't work. This is why they fired the OL coaches.

Now show the one where Kendricks was running with Stafford step for step on the play action :allears:

• Locked thread