Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Cruel and Unusual posted:

See how the center was assigned to block the defensive end? That didn't work. This is why they fired the OL coaches.

This was uhh.... poorly designed. When they showed the replay immediately after the play, I was like why the gently caress is the center pulling to block an end?! Answer: Lions, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That play probably works better if the LG was able to block the DT instead of whiffing completely.

Still a lot of trouble for minimal gain even if it does work.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

They should fire all of the coaches in Detroit and the entire front office and the owner.

And most of the players.

This might supposedly happen, according to rumors around the team. Ownership, or ownership roles, may change very soon.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.

Rotoworld posted:

He'll be replaced by "Jim Bob Cooter," although head coach Jim Caldwell is expected to now call plays. The Lions also relieved OL coaches Jeremiah Washburn and Terry Heffernan of their duties. Lombardi arrived in Detroit with promise as a Sean Payton disciple in 2014, but Detroit's 2015 offense has been an abject disaster, ranking 29th in the NFL in points per game ahead of only Tennessee, St. Louis, and San Francisco. The Lions have been especially abysmal in pass protection, and their run blocking has been atrocious. Matthew Stafford absorbed seven sacks in Sunday's Week 7 loss to the Vikings.

Sometimes I love Rotoworld just for how dry they can be.

Because I would have thought that someone's name definitely couldn't be Jim Bob Cooter. Ever. And I still don't believe it.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I really think this is the shakeup the Lions needed. I bet the London trip, the bye week, and firing Joe Lombardi is just what they need for Lombardi's system to finally click

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jim

bob

cooter

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

jim

bob

cooter
james

robert

snatch

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Jim Bob Cooter is the greatest name in football history.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Cole posted:

Jim Bob Cooter is the greatest name in football history.

Tokyo Sexwale for greatest name in soccer history.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Caldwell said the decision was his alone, and he was not ordered by ownership or the front office to make it.

"I haven't spoken with (the Fords)," Caldwell said, "but I'm sure they're supportive."

So if he wasn't pressured into a decision he said he would not make, why the about-face?

"When I was up here earlier today, I was asked a question about staff changes, and I said no. That's because, obviously, at that point we had not made any," Caldwell said. "But we were still evaluating. So after evaluating, take a good look at where we are and where we need to go, we made some changes."

That doesn't exactly match up with what Caldwell said earlier in the day, when he reasoned he would keep Lombardi and the rest of his staff on board because they "had done it before."

That's because, obviously.

Offensive changes and such. People out there in our nation don't have maps.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Jim Bob Cooter is going to turn the Detroit offense around, you guys. He's an offensive genius.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I don't understand the decision to keep these lovely coaches. I don't understand women. Why are women so crazy

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

I don't understand the decision to keep these lovely coaches. I don't understand women. Why are women so crazy

Jim Bob Cooter is all you need to know about women.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Chilichimp posted:

Jim Bob Cooter is all you need to know about life.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Neodoomium posted:

They should fire all of the coaches in Detroit and the entire front office and the owner.

And most of the players.

i have been saying this for years

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
That's not a real name.

Is it?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It's no T-Bob Hebert, that's for sure.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Hunterhr posted:

That's not a real name.

Is it?

Florida even has a Cooter Festival every year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BGrifter posted:

A cooter festival you say?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Crazy Ted posted:

A cooter festival you say?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waiUEN2VYFY

Yup.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
There's no way I'm clicking that. It can't be what I expect and at worst it could be exactly what I expect.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

There's no way I'm clicking that. It can't be what I expect and at worst it could be exactly what I expect.

It's was great actually. Pro click

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BGrifter posted:

This is funny because Ben Jones is the name of the Texans country as gently caress center

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Chilichimp posted:

Cooter is a turtle

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

It's was great actually. Pro click

thanks, man, that was a pro click

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Jim Bob Cooter

"He is Cooter, Jim Bob."

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Colbert called him "Snatchster" during a Daily Show report, and Jones did not like it one bit

Link: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/8p01ay/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-good-ol--boycott

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

cooter wasnt much of an athlete during his time at ut but he memorized the playbook in like half a day

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
John Harbaugh seems to be the next coach of the Lions, if all gets worked out, according to close sources.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

John Harbaugh seems to be the next coach of the Lions, if all gets worked out, according to close sources.

Were you the guy that called him going to Michigan in the first place and getting poo poo all over for it? I don't see him ditching UofM though. Sorry in advance if this is a joke I'm missing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the only thing stopping caldwell from getting fired is likely the lack of coaches on the staff.

Like the bucs couldn't fire raheem morris a while ago because there wouldn't be enough coaches to run practice.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

the only thing stopping caldwell from getting fired is likely the lack of coaches on the staff.

Like the bucs couldn't fire raheem morris a while ago because there wouldn't be enough coaches to run practice.

How many coaches do you need to play CoD?

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Parallelwoody posted:

Were you the guy that called him going to Michigan in the first place and getting poo poo all over for it? I don't see him ditching UofM though. Sorry in advance if this is a joke I'm missing.

John(Baltimore) != Jim (Michigan)

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Dattserberg posted:

John(Baltimore) != Jim (Michigan)

Yep reading comprehension is not my strong suit. I'm a lions fan, it should be clear I'm not right in the head.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chichevache posted:

How many coaches do you need to play CoD?

still one of the funniest things ive ever read.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Just plug the playbook into Madden 2015 and let video game Madden suggest plays.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

The Lions trailed by 21 points at the half, the same deficit they erased last year at Wembley by scoring 22 unanswered points against Atlanta. But Sunday's ineffective offense will lead to more questions for Caldwell, who fired Lombardi after last week's 28-19 loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

"Jim Bob called a good game," Stafford said, "but we just failed to execute."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I've read that with the timing of the Lombardi firing and the travel to London, most of the offensive schemes were of Lombardi's design since Cooter didn't have enough time to prep. Even so come on Matt, how can you say that was good design?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you guys actually think the much-criticized starting QB is going to come out and say that the playcalling was awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do you guys actually think the much-criticized starting QB is going to come out and say that the playcalling was awful?

Cutler used to, Stafford should follow his lead

• Locked thread