Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I respect on so many levels the things Nathan has been able to pull off in the past...

But this episode makes me feel like he took it too far.

But the fact that he was able to take it that far without repercussions was his entire point, right?

But still, these are real lives he's playing with.

I am so conflicted.

This show is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

speshl guy posted:

I am so conflicted.

Playing with lives or SAVING lives by donating to breast cancer research?

But jokes aside, the people in the show don't seem too destroyed. Reddit threads sometimes manage to get people from the show to do AMA's which are interesting. And Nathan discusses the ethics of what he is doing in this interview:http://www.avclub.com/article/nathan-yous-star-confronts-v-club-mom-who-scorned--226825

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Wild applause. I can't believe how much they packed into this episode, or how many times I've thought "THIS is Nathan's masterpiece" while watching this show. It's like a glimpse into a weird and wonderful alternate dimension, of what reality TV could be.

Reset Smith posted:

How long before Jasmine dumps him?
Facebook says he's single. :(

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Somehow i'm not surprised if that relationship didn't last, kind of a weird thing it find out it was a different person from the first time you meet.

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008
Let's not forgot we had another classic

"Well I'm not sure but I mean if you already went this far then..."
"Corey was in!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Corey seemed like a pretty cool dude honestly, he probably explained everything to Jasmine immediately afterwards.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

speshl guy posted:

I respect on so many levels the things Nathan has been able to pull off in the past...

But this episode makes me feel like he took it too far.

But the fact that he was able to take it that far without repercussions was his entire point, right?

I am so conflicted.

This show is amazing.

It's possible Corey just went along with all the stuff at the end for the show and came clean afterwards, hopefully explaining to his adorable grandparents and girlfriend that he was just acting for TV.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I love the bits with Nathan going back into the bar in his disguise and at the end when he goes across the rope four more times (also a reference to the Man on Wire guy staying out there for as long as possible and taunting the cops) . Great cap to a season full of amazing little moments for the character.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
This is hardly the worst/craziest thing Nathan has done

Moltke
May 13, 2009

BlackJosh posted:

"The gunman was killed" hahaha

Watched this episode at work and completely lost it at this point. All of my coworkers looked at me confused and I was totally unable to explain this show to them. Nathan is a genius.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love that the episode would've been amazing if all he'd done was the fake-Corey stuff, but the layers that this show has are unreal. Of course the second that Nathan put the prosthetic on he would start to feel too attached to playing Corey, and being more comfortable in someone else's skin. Naturally, Nathan would be the kind of person who would train for months to do something genuinely difficult, but walk away from taking credit but still feeling the addiction of it. I'm genuinely surprised that he didn't covet Jasmine more, but there's only so much you can do in 24 minutes and they covered so much. Amazing way to end the season.

(just to be clear that I mean Nathan as in the TV character, and not actual Nathan despite the fact the character is essentially a more exaggerated version of his real self).

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I loved the megaphone conversation with the Grandparents

"We love you Corey!"

"Yes"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AV Club review mentions that the show just got a fourth season. And Variety confirms.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
They should release the Corey soundboard as a iPhone app.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

EL BROMANCE posted:

(just to be clear that I mean Nathan as in the TV character, and not actual Nathan despite the fact the character is essentially a more exaggerated version of his real self).

I'm starting to feel the real Nathan is a bit unhinged as well

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
all brilliant men are a little bit

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JAMOOOL posted:

I'm starting to feel the real Nathan is a bit unhinged as well

I've never read anything about other people describing him 'out of character', and we know that he is excellent at keeping his head in the game. There's definitely something going on, but I think he's self aware to know what elements of his personality are a bit off kilter and should be pushed. He is a master of creating awkward situations, and you can't really do that unless it's on purpose (although we don't see how much tape hits the floor, how many people who approaches and it doesn't work out etc). He's an incredibly interesting guy though for sure, and the show needs more recognition than it gets.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The AVClub interview with the one staffer's mom was a pretty good insight into the real Nathan, I think

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

I loved the megaphone conversation with the Grandparents

"We love you Corey!"

"Yes"

"So is someone going to check up on me, or do you leave and pick me up in two weeks?"

"Yes."

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I feel like more thought was given to Nathan's character arc, this year. He's evolving. He's becoming more confident in his ability to influence people through these elaborate schemes, but he's having a tougher time convincing himself the connections he makes are genuine. He's not as delusional. There's deep, deep frustration bubbling inside him as he's taking off his mask in the finale.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

JayMax posted:

I feel like more thought was given to Nathan's character arc, this year. He's evolving. He's becoming more confident in his ability to influence people through these elaborate schemes, but he's having a tougher time convincing himself the connections he makes are genuine. He's not as delusional. There's deep, deep frustration bubbling inside him as he's taking off his mask in the finale.

I could see this entire series being inspired by and mirroring the life and career of one celebrity heavily involved in reality TV and it only becomes obvious who it is on the last aired episode when he walks out on stage to introduce American Idol contestants or something.

Nathan is on record saying the absurdity of the late 00's recession is what inspired his brand of comedy so I could see the character of Nathan having been developed in dedication/reverence to some larger-than-life, but ultimately deeply sad, real live person.

Probably not true in the slightest but it's fun to think about. Trying to figure out and speculate who the celebrated target of Nathan's The Hero scheme was before the episode aired had to be one of the best Television-related conversations I've had with my friends since Lost was first airing in 2004.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Man, was this the most cruel Nathan for You yet? That guy is living a total lie now! And it's all been revealed now the episode has aired!

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

JayMax posted:

What are you talking about? He has scientific proof that he makes genuine connections!

Also,

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Calico Heart posted:

Man, was this the most cruel Nathan for You yet? That guy is living a total lie now! And it's all been revealed now the episode has aired!

I think people who watch the episode will see how truly duped he was, and that he genuinely didn't know what was going to happen until it was far too late. I think he comes across as sympathetic and nice (except the creepy braces thing). I'm gonna guess someone writes a local news piece that makes him out to be evil though.

My main worry was that either Corey or his grandparents were going to be unsubtly racist somehow. I'm glad that didn't happen.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think people who watch the episode will see how truly duped he was, and that he genuinely didn't know what was going to happen until it was far too late. I think he comes across as sympathetic and nice (except the creepy braces thing). I'm gonna guess someone writes a local news piece that makes him out to be evil though.

My main worry was that either Corey or his grandparents were going to be unsubtly racist somehow. I'm glad that didn't happen.

People forget that there is a camera crew around these people the entire time and that they are all very aware of this fact. If the show can be taken at face value, he was told about the plan minutes before it went down. He kept it going while the show was being taped; I'm sure he came clean to his grandparents after filming was done. And there's no way the girl was deceived; she had to have known and was a good sport for the cameras.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
you say that but the guy in the self help book episode sure did keep the act up for a long time and had no problem lying

I just honestly don't know. maybe Corey will pop up on Reddit or something and explain

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

BlackJosh posted:

"The gunman was killed" hahaha
I rewound this exact part so many times. Everything is always honed to a chrome shine

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think Corey was as stunted as the show made him out. He is being social in several of the photos from his facebook page (he is in the water with a BEER in his hand!), but the shots of him in his house in beige pants and brown shirt combined with the way he was carrying himself made him seem like an impossible shut in.

Guy also reminded me of Badger from Breaking bad. a lot.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So the guy who wrote the movement got paid $500 and receives no royalties lol. I guess the profits all go to charity though so that's cool. I guess Nathan is really into charity work with this season benefiting three different charities.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Guy also reminded me of Badger from Breaking bad. a lot.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Another funny thing was the tight rope walk for raising breast cancer awareness, one of the most famous diseases that everyone is already well aware of.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wandle Cax posted:

Another funny thing was the tight rope walk for raising breast cancer awareness, one of the most famous diseases that everyone is already well aware of.

In Nathan Logic, doing it for a relatively unknown disease would probably muddle the narrative. Everyone knows about breast cancer, therefore doing something nebulous to fight breast cancer is the most efficient way to make people like you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wandle Cax posted:

There was a giant check for like 5,000 at least. But yeah, I know where you're coming from... a Facebook feed of whacky status updates to make you aware of poo poo you already know exists.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
wow. I have no words. Goddamn Nathan.

That final montage. I can't keep up with what is real anymore.

"What happens now?"

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Troposphere posted:

you say that but the guy in the self help book episode sure did keep the act up for a long time and had no problem lying

I just honestly don't know. maybe Corey will pop up on Reddit or something and explain

I mean I definitely don't know for sure and I hope that dude talks about it at some point, but I will say there's a huge difference between lying to your family and lying to local morning news teams. there isn't really anyone to come clean to in his case.

I feel like so many reality type shows involve deception that people are willing to go along with things while the cameras are running. Especially out in LA where it's way more likely you have a friend-of-a-friend who's been on some low rent unscripted series.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Troposphere posted:

I feel like nathan has the potential to turn into a real life super villain

Troposphere posted:

I don't know if a television show has ever made me feel so intensely uncomfortable before

LostRook posted:

We're all Corey.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also he's said in other interviews that a lot of the TV Nathan is based on a lot of his past experiences when he really struggled with confidence and relating to people, performing for an audience, etc, just exaggerated to absurd, comical extremes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Just announced on Twitter: 10% off all jackets, shirts, and toques. http://www.summiticeapparel.com

I'm seriously tempted to buy a jacket. If I knew it was actually a good jacket I wouldn't mind paying the price. But if it was some cheap thing they stuck a logo on and I wouldn't want to wear it, it would feel like a waste.

I was partially attracted to buy a jacket by Nathan's claim on the show that it was made to his "specifications," but a friend of mine got a jacket from his workplace that's exactly the same, down to the zippers and Port Authority tag. Summit Ice is a logo slapped on a template jacket, but it's admittedly a nice jacket, and I don't mind getting suckered into contributing to charity.

Oh, and the season finale was disturbingly brilliant.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Nathan's only mistake as Corey was saying sorry like a Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also just noticed this on the OK Cupid profile:

quote:

You should message me if

Basically if you're a cool girl who I'd want to be friends with outside of any romantic situation. It would also be great if you were healthy- I don't want to find the love of my life and then live without her when she dies at 50 and I live to be 90.

• Locked thread