Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Nathan For You - Learning to Walk The Wire

"Some people criticized me for using a safety cord, but... I'm not an idiot, I'm not gonna risk my life for some Comedy Central show."

Video makes it clear they blew every last dollar of the show's budget on the stunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barge
Jun 12, 2006

That was such a perfect finale, the episodes where they just focus on one scheme like this and the no smoking ep are by far my favorites and even then I knda want them to be even more drawn out

speshl guy posted:

I respect on so many levels the things Nathan has been able to pull off in the past...

But this episode makes me feel like he took it too far.

But the fact that he was able to take it that far without repercussions was his entire point, right?

But still, these are real lives he's playing with.

I am so conflicted.

This show is amazing.

How does this one get that reaction after the hotel-sex-bunker!!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I can't decide whether or not there was a subtle joke I was missing in the prominently visible "WikiHow - How To Draw a Woman in a Saree" website behind Nathan.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Super proud of Nathan for abstaining from sex for that long, completely by choice.

Also I was so wrapped up in that episode I didn't even notice the safety wire.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

text editor posted:

"Some people criticized me for using a safety cord, but... I'm not an idiot, I'm not gonna risk my life for some Comedy Central show."
"I personally think that using a balance bar is cowardly and I look down on any wire-walker who does use it."

Eat poo poo, Philippe Petit

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

He looks like Frankenstein in that makeup. It's creepy as poo poo watching him talk.

"Yes."

Sammus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 12, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Argue posted:

I can't decide whether or not there was a subtle joke I was missing in the prominently visible "WikiHow - How To Draw a Woman in a Saree" website behind Nathan.

Wikihow articles are hilariously bad and specific. Case in point. I don't think it was more than a nod to anyone who knows how bad wikihow is and how no one would ever actually use 99% of the articles on there.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
You may then add colors as per your choice and then outline it. The colors could be crayons, pencil colors, water color etc.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

People forget that there is a camera crew around these people the entire time and that they are all very aware of this fact. If the show can be taken at face value, he was told about the plan minutes before it went down. He kept it going while the show was being taped; I'm sure he came clean to his grandparents after filming was done. And there's no way the girl was deceived; she had to have known and was a good sport for the cameras.

Jasmine's OKC profile even said "I'm so tired of being catfished all the time!".

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/nathanforyou/

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I just want to know how that makeup guy won Emmys because that face mask was pretty bad.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I don't think I've ever seen a good face mask that moves with the person's face well. There's probably a bunch of limitations involved, especially since Nathan had to repeatedly reapply it on multiple occasions and move about with it in uncontrolled environments.

It still looks really bad though, which he seemed aware of. He looked like a giant deformed baby. Are we sure the makeup person didn't receive emmys for something entirely unrelated to makeup?

Does anyone have any videos of better full face masks? Bad Grandpa seemed pretty cool, though it still looks pretty dodgy, as does most old person makeup I've seen. The worst one I've ever seen was in Prometheus where they just added a billion wrinkles everywhere where they don't belong in an attempt to make him look older, like the artists had no idea about anatomy or how fat tissues and skin deforms as people age.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Also, lol at this sale.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 13, 2015

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

keevo posted:

I just want to know how that makeup guy won Emmys because that face mask was pretty bad.

it actually seems to get progressively worse over the course of the (2?) weeks of the project, so nathan may have left it on for all that time

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Doubtful.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

keevo posted:

I'm gonna cut the guy some slack since I don't think he often has to take scans and data off someone who thinks they're at a doctors appointment.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm gonna cut the guy some slack since I don't think he often has to take scans and data off someone who thinks they're at a doctors appointment.

How loving cool was that though? It took less than 30 seconds to get a detailed 3D scan of his face. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I was impressed by what they were able to do, even if Nathan came out looking sort of horrifying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I loved that part too, it was the perfect mix of being a really smart idea and "wait, that guy doesn't look like he could be a doctor AT ALL".

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wouldn't be surprised if Nathan wanted a mask that looked slightly off but in a way no one would ask about just because.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wonder what kind of legal hoops you gotta jump through to get two building owners to allow you to try that kind of stunt.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Earlier this week I fell asleep with the TV on. I think I half-woke up at one point while this episode was playing in the background.

I just watched the episode this morning. When I got to Nathan's date with Jasmine, I had to replay back the season in my head to see if this was the part I heard in my sleep, or if he actually went on a "first date" with the same person and had the exact same conversation as two different people.

The fact that both of those were equally probable really is a testament to how good this show is.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 13, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

phosdex posted:

I wonder what kind of legal hoops you gotta jump through to get two building owners to allow you to try that kind of stunt.

I dunno, he had a harness so there's no potential injury and it brings a crowd + tv crew. Seems like it's not a hard sell

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Insurance and liability waivers

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

phosdex posted:

it's LA dude, places get rented out for random television/movie poo poo all the time

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

This is neat, someone uploaded the full 30-minute radio interview from the Best Burger in LA episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReSINLeTfmc

Interesting that they cut out the part of the promotion where they specified multiple times that, at most, 25 people will be elegible. And then at the end of the actual segment Nathan says he lost 6000 bucks.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 16, 2015

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
How have I never heard of this show or Nathan before last week? This is probably the most hysterically funny show I've ever watched.

It all started with a Conan clip about his Instagram, followed by clips of the Movement, King of Sting, and Daddy's Watching. Last night I finally started watching full episodes on Hulu. My roommates joined in after hearing my incessant cackle, and we ended up watching like 5 episodes back to back (including Dumb Starbucks and Electronics Store).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Daddy's Watching is one of the greatest things ever put to tape.

Also check out the Claw of Shame episode, it is spectacular.

Actually just watch every episode.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Claw of Shame is still probably my favorite episode, but every episode of NFY is great.

The Hero wasn't as funny, but the scale of it was epic and the best send-off to a season yet. Part of me wants NFY to win a dozen emmys because it clearly deserves it, but I would be just as happy if he wasn't nominated for anything so he can continue to fly under the radar and produce episodes of this caliber.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been reading postmodern essays about different aspects of culture but this one specifically was about how we interact with television and how American culture has been effected by television. Felt these were appropriate given the previous article and also considering this was written in 1993.

David Foster Wallace posted:

Now, seeming unwatched in front of a TV camera is genuine art. Take a look at how civilians act when a TV camera is pointed at them: they simply spaz out, or else go all rigor mortis. Even PR people and politicians are, camera-wise, civilians. And we love to laugh at how stiff and false non-professionals appear, on television. How unnatural. But if you've ever once been the object of that terrible blank round glass stare, you know all too well how self-conscious it makes you.

Wallace goes on to dissect the dichotomy of the character and the performer.

DFW posted:

The characters are our "close friends"; but the performers are beyond strangers, they're images, demigods, and they move in a different sphere, hang out with and marry only each other, seem even as actors accessible to Audience only via the mediation of tabloids, talk show, EM signal. And yet both actors and characters, so terribly removed and filtered, seem so natural, when we watch.

Wouldn't call Nathan a "close friend", although he has been scientifically proven to be fun around.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A bit disappointing that Jasmine actually knew right away he was wearing a mask but I guess makeup isn't that good yet. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/nathanforyou/comments/3w9oe3/episode_discussions03e08_the_hero/cxz88nt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the moral of the story is that it's a comedy show that is only "real" in the sense that it uses unaware peoples reactions to the craziness as part of the joke. I 'm sure they bend reality as much as they need to, to get a funny story out of each episode. Which is fine imo.

I'd be willing to bet Corey wasn't in that camper for more than a few hours.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I love that an "epilepsy test" consists of flashing a strobe light in your face

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Argue posted:

A bit disappointing that Jasmine actually knew right away he was wearing a mask but I guess makeup isn't that good yet. :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/nathanforyou/comments/3w9oe3/episode_discussions03e08_the_hero/cxz88nt

lmao:

quote:

Anyway, in the long run it's been the most popular show I've been in so far, so I'm liking that aspect from a career point. I just hate that I have to cross "MTV" off my filmography and put in "Comedy Central"

It's all great but this part is my favourite. I never really considered there being a tier difference between the two.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

She "knew right off the back" he was wearing a mask.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

lmao:

It's all great but this part is my favourite. I never really considered there being a tier difference between the two.
she equates an mtv gig with "serious dramatic" credibility, as if anything less would somehow typecast her burgeoning central casting career. lmao

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My Summit Ice tuque finally arrived, along with a set of very comprehensive, well-researched and meticulously sourced Holocaust Facts

Best 25 bux I ever spent on a nondescript black hat that no one will ever recognize or appreciate

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

quote:

Also "Fake Corey", during the dinner date, told me he loved my nails and that his Mom does people's nails for a living so nails are the first thing he notices about a girl. I don't know if that is true about Nathan's mom, but "Real Corey" never mentioned it. Actually every date I went on with fake Corey he always looked at my nails and told me what he liked about them that day. He also kept talking about how inspired he was that I was going to be doing neonatology. He was really cute about everything, especially on dates.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I met a guy rocking a Summit Ice shirt. Not sure which one of us was more surprised.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Surprised at how many jews the nazi's exterminated??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Brock Samson posted:

Surprised at how many jews the nazi's exterminated??

This joke is the joke that just keeps giving.

• Locked thread