Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

XboxPants posted:

"A long time ago, we used to be friends..." :allears::allears::allears::allears:

I paused the tv and giggled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Aquasnake posted:

I must have not watched real tv in too long if you can pause live TV now.

I wasn't watching it live. I recorded it on my DVR for later viewing, but yes you can pause live tv if you have a DVR. It's amazing and wonderful. You can also start watching a show 15 minutes late and then fast forward through all the commercials.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Aquasnake posted:

How the gently caress? How long has this been around?

As others have said, 5-10 years. I think I've had it about 4 years and was a late adopter. At first, there were TiVo boxes that you had to buy separate from your cable. It wasn't too long after that when cable companies started incorporating DVR into their cable boxes.

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't have a DVR! I know perfectly well what they're good for though.

In a strange series of bundle deals I pay for non-HD cable through Comcast in order to pay less total then I would for internet alone. Comcast is very confused by my lack of desire for HD cable. But the two set top boxes I have are very old yet functional converter boxes with no capability other then shrinking widescreen to letter boxed 4:3 to display on my widescreen TV :downs:

Does your tv have a zoom button or a setting where you can change the type of display? I don't have HD either, but there are 5 or so settings to change the way the picture looks. I found one that makes the picture fill the tv screen without looking distorted. It's not HD quality, obviously, but it's better than watching in a tiny box.

It's always super weird to go back to non-HD cable tv after watching an HD DVD or playing a HD game.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Pan Dulce posted:

Does anyone who's into the Songs of Ice and Fire books know what Ravi said to Clive that was in Dothraki? Ravi said he'd know what it means, but I had no clue.

It means "ride or die," if the site I looked it up on was accurate.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

GreenNight posted:

Constantine, what?

Ditto. Constantine, what?

• Locked thread