Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

She originally broke up with him because she was afraid of infecting him. Now that he has been infected and 'cured' it may be safe for them to be together.

Or it may be very dangerous since they only have a limited understanding of how the whole thing works and their total sample size with the cure is 4 subjects. Is the cure supposed to have somehow vaccinated him against future exposure? What happens if his blood or fluids gets into her, will his vaccinated blood interact with her active zombie blood? We don't see much sciency stuff, this isn't CSI, but did they even try New Hope's blood on uninfected rats to check if she is still an infectious carrier able to infect or vaccinate others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Senerio posted:

The real star of tonight's episode

Imagine this guy's life. Lawschool. Getting into a good criminal law firm. Years of practice so you are a top criminal lawyer in your city. And then you spend your days sitting in a barber shop. Not even a comfy chair. Suit and tie. Just sitting there all day every day, just in case the law comes to hassle your client.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It was nice to see Rav doing some science this time, even if it was just condom science. They also specified that it is a virus, a teeny tiny virus, have the outright said that before? Wait, can you even see a virus with the equipment he has? Don't you need like an electron microscope or something?

It would be funny if it turns out Blaine and Major are immune to the virus now. I guess they have no way to test that without more zombie rats, so we won't know for sure until someone tries to infect one of them again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rhyno posted:

Happy sex crazy Major is the best. I'm curious if the Z's he's tossed in the freezer will be able to reanimate after being frozen like that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Blaine defrosted mooks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

Yeah, he at least killed the first guy, because IIRC in that scene the guy was begging for his life up until Major shot him and dumped him in the river.

According to the latest episode, Blaine has lost 3 customers. Major has 3 bodies in the freezer. Looks like he didn't kill anyone, he's been dumping manikins the whole time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LostRook posted:

There's also the guy that Max Rager fed to a zombie. If the 5 counts the astronaut, Major hasn't killed anyone. If it doesn't, he's killed one person.

The news clips specifically mention the astronaut as the first missing wealthy man. So yeah, it's 1 for Blaine, 1 for Max Rager, and 3 for Major.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That was great.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He's probably been thinking about it for a while, she can be a real liability sometimes. He's just not going to sit down and discuss it with her, because he's not into that sort of thing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

So were we supposed to take from the zombie hooker bit that Blaine was running a zombie sex slavery ring on the side, or is there some other guy out there that they somehow don't know about?

It was Blaine. Blaine understands vice. Most of his rich clients weren't willing to become celibate, and don't want to turn their wives, mistresses, or girlfriends into zombies. Blaine to the rescue with high class zombie hookers. An elegant solution from his point of view.

Unfortunately zombie prostitutes aren't able to make a living their usual way, and her new 'clients' probably resent her and treat her poorly because she works for Blaine. It's possible Blaine just didn't think things through and didn't realize that he was removing 100% of her income and she would eventually run out of money and lose her house. He probably just didn't care though. In our society prostitutes are considered disposable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

Wait, so what was the point of that dead Santa thing at the beginning? Did they ever follow up on that?

Yes, they did. Another hobo had been seen with a roll of cash. Then Liv passes a note and the detective tells him they have a witness that saw him at a bar across the street. Which may have been a lie, but if Liv/Santa saw him leave that bar there will probably be witnesses that can place him there. The implication was that the crime was solved and it was the hobo that did it. Simple robbery gone bad.

I thought it was pretty clever actually. They basically made a mini episode to show that time was still passing and stuff kept happening.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Medullah posted:

What's the mentality behind him leaving Minor? Cops find him, he gets in the news as "hey if you've seen someone with this dog call us", Ravi gets suspicious... Am I overlooking something simple?

Now he knows that the police are still seriously looking for that dog, they haven't given up. He knows he's still on law enforcement radar because of the meat cute thing. He just realized that keeping the dog is much more dangerous than he thought.

Abandoning the dog is also dangerous. Taking it out of town to abandon it might have been better, but the dog probably does have a tattoo and/or chip, which is how they quickly identified random bus dog as the missing murder dog. The police could put pictures of the dog on the news, but it looks like a completely unremarkable basset hound. I think they did put out pictures of the dog when the guy was first missing, and nobody connected a missing basset hound with Major Boyscout suddenly finding a basset hound.

Killing the dog would have been the smart move, but he's too much of a softie to do that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

esperterra posted:

Double posting because gently caress double quoting in the phone app.

Major obviously was under the impression the chip was inside the dog. Agent Totally Not Veronica even comments on the tracker being in the collar like it's a weird thing. He ditched the collar when he originally found Minor iirc, so if he had known it was in there all along bro never would have panicked in the first place.

They are all pretty silly about dogs. The ID chips that get implanted in dogs are the size of a grain of rice and have no power source. Passive RFID. The only way to know they are there is to use a compatible scanner at very close range.

Long range GPS trackers need to be big enough for a good battery and various electronics, and they need to be accessible so the battery can be changed without surgery. The battery needs to be rechargeable or else stay charged for years until it is needed and run for several hours once activated. It's basically a tiny cell phone with no screen, so it's not going to be much smaller than those cell phone watches.

Major not knowing about it was fine, he only heard about it at the last minute and had no time to look anything up, but the cops really should have known what they were looking for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blaine is pants shittingly terrified of Boss. Blain is afraid to face him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BTW, he was totally bluffing about this, right? Some kid sends a nasty tweet, and the next day he is killed in a traffic 'accident'. They just took the news of a random traffic accident and said it was the bad tweeter.

If Max Rager had that kind of juice they never would have needed Major in the first place.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

So wait, was there no resolution with matricidal coffee daughter? She got away with it, they didn't bother trying to find evidence that she was involved, and she sold the shop and drove off in a taxi, the end?
That seemed really awkward, the way they were just like "welp, guess she gets away with murder" about it.

Maybe they were going for realism? (lol) Sometimes even if you know who did it, you just can't prove it beyond reasonable doubt. Particularly if the co-conspirator confesses and claims to have acted alone. What evidence would there be? She was never in the apartment. Unless she sent text messages about getting her mom murdered or kept mycrimes.txt on her laptop, there just won't be physical evidence to connect her to the crime. Sometimes the bad guys get away with it.

It could also be a setup for her to get her cupuppance in a later episode. That's usually pretty satisfying.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it just me, or is the makeup looking a little off here? She doesn't look undead so much as just old. Reminds me of my grandma when she was in her 40s-50s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sleeveless posted:

As somebody who has had many pet rats over the years the way they kept using regular white rats as "zombie" rats up until this ep has been adorably :effort:

Helix did something similar, they kept using normal hairless rats to play diseased rats and they were just adorable :3:

That makes sense though. Rats are too fastidious to make cosmetics practical. Even when they just grease them up to make them look scary for scenes in sewers the little ratties spend half their time on camera furiously bathing, trying to get the oil off rather than doing anything remotely scary. CGI Rat was okay for a few seconds, but having all the zombie rats CGI all the time would just look like a demented disney special.

In this version of zombieism a well-fed zombie just looks like an albino. So albino rats are fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

esperterra posted:

Truth. I've always wanted a pet Ratigan but I've always had cats growing up. The cat I have now is terrified of mice tho so maybe a rat would be in no danger.

I had a cat who was a pro mouser. He once moved into the hardware store/lumber yard across the street and spent a happy couple days running around the store ceiling having an all you can eat mouse buffet. This ended when a ceiling tile gave way and surprised everyone with a panicked cat landing in the middle of the store. (No one knows how he got into the ceiling to begin with.)

While away a college I was lonely and got a pet rat. When I took him home a few months later there was a scary moment when my cat jumped up on the bed when the rat was already there. Rat launched himself at cat, scaring cat off the bed and out of the room, leaving the victorious rat with a mouthful of floof (he didn't manage to actually bite the skin, just the fur). No one was injured, but the cat carefully avoided the rat from then on. Of course this was a full grown male rat, nearly a full pound of rat, compared to the tiny thumb-size mice that kitty was used to massacring.

I had a few other rats over the years. All of them would launch themselves at the bars of the cage like a berserker if a cat got too close. Prey drive was never strong enough for well-fed house cats to bother trying to mess with these gigantic monstrous "mice". Obviously some cats are ratters, but not all cats.

Rats are too sad to keep as pets though. Way too much personality to burn out and die in just a couple years.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm starting to wonder why Babineaux doesn't ever mention that Liv seems to get into the personality of whoever she's investigating the death of. An "I'm really good at getting inside the heads of people" chameleon-level ability would be more reasonable and a fantastic pun compared to "I'm a psychic". But hey I'm looking for realism in a show about zombies where the main actress dyes her hair and throws some powder on her face, so don't mind me. (Mid-post-edit: Apparently Babineaux did point this out and I don't remember it? Can someone explain?)

Have you watched the second season too? It is in the compulsive liar episode, s2 e13, about 19 minutes in. Easy to miss. There is a lot going on in that episode. Babineaux and Ravi are in the morgue.

B: How can you not see it?
    R: Sorry mate. Not sure I follow.
    B: She takes on certain personality traits of the victims we're investigating. I do my best to roll with it, figure it helps her get in tune psychically speaking.
    R: If you say so.
    B: Right now for instance the guy we are investigating is a pathological liar. She . . .
    Liv enters.
    L: Lunch is here!

He has noticed, he just assumes it is a psychic thing so he hasn't made a big deal about it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BJPaskoff posted:

Ohhh. It was sometimes hard to follow along with the little details when I was running a 102 fever. I totally lost the reasoning for Major getting rid of the dog, for instance, and kept confusing Major and Drake unless someone called them by name.

The police found out the dog had a locator device like this. Major heard about it from moments before Babs and the FBI lady were going to activate it, so he took off running to get to the dog first, and dump him.

Even without a fever it was a bit confusing because both Major and the police assumed it was implantable chip, but it was the larger collar mounted device, so the weren't tracking the dog at all they were tracking the collar. Major had dumped the collar months ago. It was edited to look like they were about to run into him at the dog groomer, but they were never anywhere near each other. It was meant to be confusing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

Wait, really? I thought they all knew it was a collar thing and they just edited it to look like they were getting to the groomer at the same time when in reality Major had beaten them by a few minutes and gotten away.

When the police find the collar they make a remark about the owner being too cheap to spring for the implantable chip. These kinds of trackers are basically tiny cell phones and are still much too large to be implantable. The cops and Major had both confused the trackers with the little rice sized RFID passive ID chips.

The dog probably did have a passive RFID chip too, which could have been a problem if it ever had to go to the vet. The company that makes the ID chips might have a database that flags lost or stolen dogs, so he could have been caught if a vet ever scanned the chip.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lycus posted:

How long until all the characters are zombies?

Except for Clive, who still doesn't know the truth.

I just re-watched the pilot. Pray Clive never find out the truth.

About 19 minutes in, Liv and Ravi in the morgue watching a zombie movie when Clive enters.
    C: Zombies! I would be a dangerous man after the zombies came! I wouldn't be making any rookie mistakes. Is that a scratch on my grandmother? Blam! Hasta la vista Memaw.
    L: Chivalry is dead.
    C: But Clive is alive!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bamhand posted:

Just wanted to say I loved how Rita's dad flipped his poo poo when he saw the blackeye and then didn't think twice about locking her in with a zombie. Just really drove home how lovely a person he is.

No one else is allowed to damage his property. He's allowed to do whatever he wants with his stuff.

Though, to be fair to the dickwad he has been jacked up on the new drink formula, so he's got enhanced fight or flight responses. Not really conducive to thoughtful decision making. Without it he'd still consider everyone but himself disposable, because that's the kind of person he is, but he probably wouldn't have bouts of random violence.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

M_Gargantua posted:

Can't wait for Liv, Peyton and Ravi to have the team Z talk with Clive and the FBI lady (Bozzio?) to stop them from taking any extreme measures.

The trouble is, each person they tell is another roll of the dice. Eventually someone is going to object to letting Ravi try to solve the problem in his spare time, and call in the CDC.

This is the early stages of an extinction level event. If a couple million people get infected, that's it, we're done. Their only way to stay smart and human will be be to kill other humans, because the entire planet only produces about one million human corpses per week. Since they are smart, the zombies can use tools to get into fortified locations, and are able to use ships and airplanes to try to track down pockets of survivors. Letting a couple hundred undetectable smart zombies roam around Seattle is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.

Of course none of that can happen because the it is a comedy about a quirky zombie detective. But each new person they add who doesn't go "Holy poo poo, we need to get the authorities down here pronto!" just makes it more unrealistic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Destroying the brain is good. Major killed a bunch in the Meat Cute massacre with just guns to the head. Though the big mute guy did get shot in the eye which probably damaged at least a bit of his brain, and he's okay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Air is lava! posted:

So the cure erases all the memories which formed after the patient was infected? That seems kinda weird. The show might argue, that all the new brain cells from that time were unnatural and got deleted again. Brains really don't work that way.

We don't really know how much he lost. It seems like it could be way more than just the last couple years though, his whole personality seemed different. Boat party Blaine would have been brash and charming even with memory loss. Could be major brain damage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The new cure causes brain damage just so Major remains perpetually boned. He's back to being a zombie, and the new cure causes severe brain damage. Eat brains or go take a nap in the freezer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that the new cure doesn't just amnesia, it leaves the last brain personality imprinted on the person. Blaine seems to have picked up the nicer personality. Either way, new cure is obviously not a good thing to use like that.

True. Even as he was losing his memory he was talking about organic coffee with a low carbon footprint, which isn't something Blaine has ever cared about.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Good to see Major is back to be the most boned man in the universe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FoxTerrier posted:

Is anyone else confused about what's up with Blaine? I think the show was suggesting that he had amnesia going back to when he became a zombie, but at that point in his life he was already a drug dealing scum-bag working for Mr. Boss (who he now doesn't know).

I had thought earlier that he had taken on the brain of the generic nice-guy he ate right before this, but, that doesn't seem quite right either.

Help?

About 4 minutes in to the latest episode Ravi is explaining the cure to zombie Major, and says Blain can't remember anything since taking the cure. He doesn't remember being a drug dealer, or losing his mother, having a distant father and a cruel nanny, or anything at all before a couple weeks ago.

As far as Ravi can tell, Blain has lost 100% of his episodic memory. All the stories of his life are gone.

Blain still has all or most of his procedural memory. He still knows how to speak english, dress himself, use a fork, drive a car, etc.

He also has semantic memory. If you asked him to he could probably recite the pledge of allegiance and list the ways various drugs get you hosed up. He knows information like you should see a doctor in a hospital, not in a morgue. Or that it is odd for a funeral home to have an impromptu blues concert and brain slicing operation in the basement.

For now his amnesia has him off balance though, so he's going along with the only people he 'knows' when they tell him this is the way things are supposed to be. As he becomes more comfortable he should start to assert himself (once he rebuilds a self). His personality should begin to re-assert itself, but then we get into the old nature vs. nurture debate: if Blaine doesn't remember the events that shaped his personality, will he develop the same personality? He may be rebellious by nature, but without his dad's expectations to rebel against, what will he rebel against? Who will Blaine be?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That was good. I have high hopes that they will find a way to make the new situation work without totally changing the show. Honestly it's nice to see them shake things up like this, too many good shows get onto a treadmill with the same characters loving with each other in the same ways year after year. Maybe Ravi will go to work for Filmore Graves, since they have that great Max Rager lab full of records of a bunch of unethical zombie research he would never have done on his own.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chokes McGee posted:

I get the feeling Filmore couldn't give the least little poo poo about a cure and see having the Zombie as a positive thing.

Also I like to think Filmore Graves is what Filmore Coffers changed his name to at the end of Captain Sternn.

I am the only one who will get that and it's surprisingly clever. :negative:

I think they'd like to control the cure, just to have options.

Besides, once they have time to think it through, they are going to realize the Zombie population vs. Brain Donor population problem. They may be willing to use guns as population control for unallied zombies, but that leads to a secondary problem vs. the civilized world. If you want the world to accept you as real people, you can't go around shooting a bunch of white middle class american citizens who get infected accidentally and want to get off Team Zs Wild Ride.

They might even decide to keep the whole thing quiet instead of going for Zombie revolution. Powerful footsoldiers only get you so far when the enemy is the US government, with their drones, bombers and nukes -- the US government is not going to let zombies take over Seattle. Maybe Mexico or something, but not US territory. In which case having the cure would be great, because they could zombiefy and de-zombiefy their soldiers at will to keep the brain hungry super-soldier population manageable. Keeping things quiet would also let the show stay mostly "quirky zombie detective" and keep the zombie conspiracy a side plot.

Besides a cure, they'd probably want the lab working on a synthetic meal replacement of some kind. Is there a way to make animal brains palatable? Can they use some kind of cloning or neural regeneration technology to turn one brain into lots of identical brain-like meat?

These people are pragmatic, they don't actually want the civilization to end because they like iphones and airplanes as much as the rest of us. Zombie super-soldiers are useful to them, but they won't want a full on zombie apocalypse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

muscles like this? posted:

I'm going to miss Dale.

Also, was it just me or was Blaine kind of acting like his old self there at the end?

When his life was in imminent danger some of his old coping mechanisms kicked in. But then he went all Rambo to rescue an ex-lover, and thats something old Blaine definitely wouldn't have done.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drake's fate is sad. On the other hand now both Liv and Major are unattached zombies so they can finally bone.
:love: :love: :love: True love forever. :love: :love: :love:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JT Smiley posted:

I did like that they finally gave her a brief bit of humanity when she saw how loving crazy her father had become. Shame she turned into a rabid zombie two minutes later. Zombie Rita had so much potential....

I thought she looked too much like Liv as a zombie. Like, the first time I saw her with white hair I thought it was Liv for a second. Liv grew out her hair???

I"m not racist, but all zombies look alike.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yeah, how did Blaine become a crack shot? Did I miss a part where he ate the same mercenary brains that Liv and Major ate (or is he completely cured now)? I remember him being a devious and dangerous guy, but never a stone-cold killer or even adept with guns.

In his first episode he kills those two henchmen in a car who were going to take him to see Mr. Boss. He does it fast enough that neither of them have time to react, despite being bad guys.

Chokes McGee posted:

I think what you mean is

:colbert:

:negative:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hangedman1984 posted:

I feel like you all are missing the obvious fact that Blaine really was faking the memory loss the entire time.

I don't know. He was really good at being meek when Donny was ordering him around. I'm not sure Blaine could manage passively following orders for weeks like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Combed Thunderclap posted:

And then kept his loving mouth shut, too.

...which isn't that hard given how implausible the situation was but is still impressive (and Dale's not stupid, she could have put the pieces together with the right mindset).

Yeah, but she's a federal agent, and not friends with any of the zombies. That much more likely to do the right thing and call in the CDC, which would ruin the show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Combed Thunderclap posted:

(I always thought it was clear that they were meant to be pain-in-the-rear end characters so the narrative could focus on other things.)

Yeah, without them people would eventually be asking "where's Liv's family in all this?" It would be weird if they had never shown up at all. This way they are there in the background, available for kidnapping or zombie peril. Knowing her family a bit we know more about Liv: she had a normal childhood with a normal family, people who can be kinda judgemental jerks but are not totally abusive evil monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Soothing Vapors posted:

Christ it's not back until April? the CW is the worst

• Locked thread