Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I totally forgot this show was coming back!

New episode was amazing, I've been watching Fear The Walking Dead and completely forgot what it was like to have a zombie show with good writers.

Also, the CW continues to commission those awesome comic book-like covers for the episodes, so here it is! (If anyone else also wants to post them in the future, they show up on the show's Facebook fan page, FYI.)

Poor Liv. Poor Major. :smith:

atomicgeek posted:

I felt terrible for the perp of the week. He just loved his dog :smith:

I was kind of hoping they were going to let him off scot-free, but when you're dangling the perp's shoe in the evidence bag, it's just too late for that. :smith:

EDIT: Honestly, it's pretty awesome how a show with so much :smith: is also somehow incredibly upbeat and entertaining, much like VM was. The writers and Rob Thomas really know how to pace the show so the :smith: is from the plot points, rather than letting it curdle into a soul-crushing ambiance of depression.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

:stonk: Haha holy poo poo I think this is my favourite personality yet

Yeah, watching Liv be confident and take-charge was actually super fun, and it was interesting to see the real, ready to solo drink, socially isolated Liv come out at the end of the episode.

Also there's no way Babineaux hasn't noticed the personality weirdness, the show's highlighted his WTF expressions a couple of times now.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

We don't know who or what he's dumping in the river

Likely all the mannequins that are hanging around Major's hideout for no other apparent reason.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I really like what they've done with Major personality wise.

Early on he seemed destined to be the boring, almost perfect former love archetype, like stupid Duncan Kane. Especially with that name. But the sense of humor they've given him has really made a difference. He's jokey and silly and it's a nice change of pace.

It's too bad he's completely and totally hosed.

Now on the other hand I hate the daughter/roommate. Not for anything in the show though, I can't stand her over acting. I'm sure it's supposed to be intentional because she's Du Clark's daughter, but she's no Steven Weber and doesn't pull it off.

It's really interesting, too, because you could see exactly where Duncan could have become a really interesting character in Veronica Mars. There's that episode where he stops taking his antidepressants, realizes just how hosed up his family really is, and then goes back on as a kind of denial, while VM keeps chasing the truth, but it's obvious that he could have become a force kinda similar to Major.

I like Gilda, she's a kind of pulpy femme fatale archetype but one who also seems a lot smarter than everyone around her.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Regardless they have a picture of the dog and it was stupid for Major to have him in the first place, sadly.

I love that this show, having run out of horrible things to do to Major, literally gives him an adorable dog for a good 10 episodes so he can bond with it and then makes him watch it give him puppy dog eyes out the back window of a rapidly vanishing bus.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

One of the episode part titles was "Deaux, A Deer in the Headlights".

Just to break that down:
- "Doe, A Deer" Sound of Music reference
- Deer in the Headlights idiom
- Deaux, as in John Deaux, Blaine's horribly punny alias

T-T-T-Triple Combo :eyepop:

Tiggum posted:

Not sure it would even work, since the virus is presumably still in his system. My question is, why not just have a couple of his zombie goons go take out Mr Boss?

From a writing perspective, it's just way too simple to resolve the plot that way.

From a rationalize the writing perspective: the absolute last thing Blaine wants Boss to find out about is zombies. If he's going to kill Boss, he's going to do it so he can fully take over his crime network. That's going to take a lot of time and planning.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Zombies on the show are basically vampires, and they're alive in the same way vampires "are".

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Best news for sure. CW has really been kicking rear end as of late and as a 31YO male I am much less embarrassed to admit it has the lions share of my television viewing.

They're like a broadcast channel magnet for sci-fi and drama, it's actually kinda bizarre.

...they've actually kind of always been that magnet, what with Roswell, Buffy, Popular, Charmed, Gilmore Girls, Sabrina, Smallville, etc. they just declined into full soap opera hell with poo poo like the never-ending One Tree Hill and Tarzan. :whitewater:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Carrasco posted:

I was expecting her to go full-on zombie mode and break down that door.

This isn't that kind of show, but I'd be very amused if this is what happened, they cut away, and we just...never see the Max Rager CEO ever again. :allears: (And also Rita is in charge.)

Also seriously missed opportunity for them to let Rose McIver talk in her native NZ accent. :eng99:

atomicgeek posted:

Today I learned Rose McIver was...a Power Ranger? :wtc: Are there still Power Rangers? How did this happen?

Children's franchises never die.

NEVER.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I honestly have no idea how they're keeping this many plot lines in the air :psyduck:

All I know is that I NEED ANSWERS

EDIT: OK less answers and more just MORE EPISODES NOW

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 30, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oasx posted:

I really like the guy who plays Don E.

Yeah, he has a really emotive face. He's fun to watch.

Angela Christine posted:

Of course none of that can happen because the it is a comedy about a quirky zombie detective. But each new person they add who doesn't go "Holy poo poo, we need to get the authorities down here pronto!" just makes it more unrealistic.

It hasn't been lost on me that it's the freakin' Max Rager company's cover up that's been doing the most good in the big picture by trying to take out zombies before this goes full infestation.

Carrasco posted:

Relatedly, the major unaswered question I had from this episode is "are Don E and the big guy actually gonna keep up the brain trade like Blaine asked them to, or are they just going to deal drugs and probably get shot in the head by Boss".

I can't imagine them giving up the brain trade, they'll probably do both. Probably.

Does the ol' headshot still work in this world or do you need to literally shotgun a living zombie's head into pieces for it to work? They seem super resilient.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Snak posted:

Which he should take as a sign the Liv is going to take risks no matter what, and keeping her in the dark will only put her in more danger.

I sympathize with Ravi, given that he wanted to say something kinda delicate and then Liv came storming in talking about how she beat up a mafia goon with her zombie superpowers.

Still, open communication is generally the best possible solution for all things in life, but as others have already said, the show is good because its characters keep secrets for reasons that seem really good to them (and usually the audience) at the time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

I dunno wtf their marketing department was thinking when they went with iZombie

Zombie teen show??? :dance: ZOMBIE TEEN SHOW??? :supaburn:

ZOMBIE TEEN SHOW!!!!!!!!!! :hfive:

...in case you were wondering. :v:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Selachian posted:

I was hoping to see a Rita-Blaine power couple, myself. Oh well.

All the snarky people are dead or have stupid amnesia :negative:

Also, honestly I think this show works best as a procedural mystery and cat/mouse show, the second part was freaky but not nearly as interesting (too many random deaths and Nice Blaine is boring) so the Max Rager replacements better be interesting. But I trust in the show's writing team. :unsmith:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

He seems to retain all his gunfighting abilities but it could wear off eventually?

Also I'm going to wildly guess the amnesia wears off if you become a zombie again, that sounds plausible.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

oh jay posted:

It kind of got lost in the shuffle of the Chaos Killer arrest and zombie apocalypse but Major is still slowly dying from the cure, right?

I really totally forgot too. And yes, now that it's worn off it's either take the new cure and get amnesia'd or unexpectedly die at an unknown time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

I thought it was a pretty dope character moment when Clive just straight up torpedoed both cases, no hesitation, the second he found out the real story.

And then kept his loving mouth shut, too.

...which isn't that hard given how implausible the situation was but is still impressive (and Dale's not stupid, she could have put the pieces together with the right mindset).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

On the bright side, this season was the big break for Leanne Lapp, the actress who played Rita, and since she played The Snarky Evil Hot One with aplomb maybe now she won't have to go back to made-for-TV movies/"20-something receptionist" roles :unsmith:

Running through IMDB reveals that this is also Rahul Kohli (Ravi)'s big break yay :dance: (the rest of the headlining cast seem to have all had clear moments prior where they broke into showbiz)

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

I mean, the setting up a zombie empire in Seattle is a great move since Blaine already turned dozens (probably?) of movers and shakers into zombs. If they agree to go along with this woman, then she already has key people in place in major orgs across the city working for her.

poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of Blaine's shadier/eviler clients that turned her and started putting this in motion awhile ago.

I do love how Blaine's business plan was written to be both brilliant (get all the rich and powerful people addicted to a drug only you control, take over the city!) and unbelievably stupid (the rich and powerful will do aaaaaanything to destroy someone who has them under their thumbs, up to and including a suicide mission). It's exactly the kind of plan a low-level drug dealer would come up with: just give everyone drugs and then they'll have to buy from me! :smuggo:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Etalommi posted:

Perhaps his father?

Yesssssssss.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think every character in every show needs an epic storyline where they're explored to their full potential before getting killed off. It makes things too predictable. George R.R. Martin popularized killing characters in what appeared to be the middle of their storyline, and do you know what he's doing right now?

I know plenty of people who stopped reading the books precisely because they lost the ability to care about any of the characters. It's just too easy for random deaths to become plotline nihilism.

Also stone-cold, super-professional Clive secretly being a huge Game of Thrones nerd is one of my favorite pieces of backstory ever :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

they still acted like two months with limited support was a good timeframe for recovering from a mental illness and she's just being "mopey" for not going right back to being a hotshot heart surgeon.

Like most families I know would act, unfortunately. :sigh:

(I always thought it was clear that they were meant to be pain-in-the-rear end characters so the narrative could focus on other things.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Also tangential, just as important: RYAN LOCHTE IS A ZOMBIE :kingsley:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Wow, this thread has been dead while. Still, this is the only place I can think of to post this.

Wonder if he'd do it... wonder what would happen to iZombie if he does?

Make Rose McIver the companion and I might actually watch.

Much better idea: make Rose McIver the Doctor and Rahul the companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

In real life:
A) hospitals have whatever kind of blood you need and/or can get it from another hospital pretty dang fast unless there's a massive emergency
B) someone is usually smart/empathic enough to figure out that if someone doesn't want to or can't give blood for reasons they'd obviously rather not talk about then it's none of your goddamn business no matter who you are

In the show they got written off in a dramatic fashion and that's really for the best

• Locked thread