Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I kinda liked that the murderer just got away scot free. I think this is the only time that's happened so far.

Pan Dulce posted:

I've been waiting for that last moment FOREVER. Whatever the hell her name is, she needed that. Now I need to see when Drake and Major finally meet. All that run around was/is annoying.

The crazy thing is she still doesn't know about Max Rager. She's just hopped up on unsustainably sunny facade brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah, but then you take on the personality of a hundred rats.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Zombie Rita better become a super fast zombie; eats her dad.

I was expecting her to go full-on zombie mode and break down that door. But I guess it takes time to turn, or maybe she just didn't have it in her.

Either way, that was a hell of a scene. Hell of an episode, really.

Argue posted:

This show is really good at juggling multiple threads and weaving them together logically, with it only very rarely becoming confusing.

The writers also have this really good grasp of dramatic irony--the dog scene we were just talking about is the prime example, but it really uses the various plot threads and the level of knowledge of each character to the most. All this triple-agent stuff with Drake was leading right up to this moment--would he have told Liv everything? Could he have? We'll never know (until the bodies thaw, anyway). It's a lacuna in the plot's structure that parallels the literal action on the screen of Liv sitting at an empty booth.

(And if he'd just hung up a little earlier, he would have been in a place chosen specifically for its safety as "a highly public location with multiple exits", too.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

This is the early stages of an extinction level event. If a couple million people get infected, that's it, we're done. Their only way to stay smart and human will be be to kill other humans, because the entire planet only produces about one million human corpses per week. Since they are smart, the zombies can use tools to get into fortified locations, and are able to use ships and airplanes to try to track down pockets of survivors. Letting a couple hundred undetectable smart zombies roam around Seattle is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.

Relatedly, the major unaswered question I had from this episode is "are Don E and the big guy actually gonna keep up the brain trade like Blaine asked them to, or are they just going to deal drugs and probably get shot in the head by Boss".

I'm thinking the latter.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

To be fair to the guys here, neither one of them knows that part. Major wasn't introduced to whatshisname and Ravi doesn't know he's one of Majors victims.

The way Ravi said that line "I have a really strong hunch he'll just turn up again" (or something like that) suggests that he does know, either because he saw it in the book or because he put it together after being told the "chaos killer" was specifically going after zombies.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That's incredible.

I'm disappointed in myself for not getting the Taipei pun until just now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"This is how a skull breaks" had me cackling. It was just such a perfect line that could only have worked because of this exact setup. Kind of like the entire show, really.

Also, holy hell, for all their talk about "the zombie apocalypse" they actually went and did it. Just completely changed genres for one episode.

AbsolutelySane posted:

Liv also got poo poo on quite a bit. I mean, they couldn't poo poo on Major more if they put him underneath an outhouse, so it makes sense that they need to spread it around a bit. It was nice to see Vaughn and Rita get what they deserved, although Rita's transition to full on Romero was kind of jarring. I'm psyched for next season.

I don't think Rita actually went Romero though? She'd been fully conversational moments before, plus she'd just eaten. I think she just went a little nuts between the confinement and everything else, or maybe that was her dad's roid-raging.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

He seems to retain all his gunfighting abilities but it could wear off eventually?

That's procedural memory, same as him knowing how to run a funeral home.

I wonder how long it's going to be before Boss gets looped in on the existence of zombies. Between Blaine and Don E, that's two hits where the victim should have died by all rights. Throw in incidents like Liv tossing his goon around and trashing his office, and he's bound to figure it out eventually. Although possibly not before someone cracks his skull open.

The masquerade in general probably isn't going to last forever. If nothing else, PMC lady will probably find it advantageous to let people know about the threat she presents at some point, so she can use it as leverage. And Bozzio might be able to put together all the pieces too (I was a bit disappointed that Clive didn't say "that's far fetched, but it would explain a lot" especially since he'd already accepted Liv being psychic).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Snak posted:

While I don't mind the way that Vaughn went out, I was really expecting thing to go in a different direction since the very beginning. I figured his constant usage of his own product was going to have had a profound effect on him. Like I thought that he was becoming more mentally/emotionally unstable because of his constant consumption of Max Rager and then Super Max.

That's definitely the implication. He was always a bastard, but he definitely got more manic and less restrained when he began drinking Super Max. Then he started raging out on Major, making really stupid decisions like messing around with the control panel that let out that zombie that turned Rita, and constantly saying crazy poo poo. It seems like the product totally destroyed his impulse control.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I remember watching it as it was going on that it had the best uses of dramatic irony I can think of in recent times, but all I can really think of now is how it turned out there was absolutely no need to leave that dog on the bus.

Clearly time for a rewatch.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That would get me to start watching Doctor Who again.

It'd be a huge blow to this show, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Look at us, working together, solving mysteries. We should get a van and a dog." :allears:

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm really glad for that. This show is at its best thumbing its nose at dumb zombie movie tropes while still keeping the overall aesthetic and feel. I'm here for the quirky zombies-next-door, the instant this slides into Walking Dead Except Jokes then I'm out.

Yeah. It was cool to dip into that territory at the end of last season, but if anything I think the whole zombie supersoldiers plot is another way to keep the lid on the apocalypse. They don't want everyone zombified (because then they don't have an edge), and they presumably know how to be discreet and lethal.

Also looks like next season is starting off immediately after the last episode, if the police costumes are any indication.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Honestly, I don't think there was anything particularly dumb about the personal dynamics involved in writing Liv's family out. (Forgetting that hospitals usually have blood on hand is another thing, mind.) Liv's mother was established as incredibly unforgiving, and if you almost die and someone you love refuses to save you and then doesn't give a reason why they couldn't, there's no way that's not going to change how you view them. Estrangement happens over much less than that.

Of course, they could have said "Liv's brother had to go back to his home planet" and I'd still be glad the character whose only purpose was to rifle through Peyton's underwear drawer is out of the show.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ugh the Peyton/Ravi/Blaine love triangle is somehow even worse than expected.

Solid otherwise though. I was expecting "I got a job where no one cares if you've been accused of being a serial killer!" to be the setup to a punchline, but thinking about it this is exactly the kind of thing Major does.

Also, glad they didn't try to cram in a victim of the week plot when there was so much ground to cover.

Mortanis posted:

I'm in the camp that Blaine 100% has his memory - they make a point of him singing along with a song and having Ravi explain that Retrograde Amnesia means he shouldn't have anything but procedural memory. That's not, like, a medical certainty or anything, but it seemed just enough on the nose while still being subtle that it feels right.

Until this episode I was thinking "why the hell would he fake amnesia", but Don E's theory is actually good enough I can believe it. (Relatedly, Ravi saying "I can't make more of the zombie cure...so I'll just figure out how to CURE AMNESIA!" is incredibly silly and I kind of love it.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC what happened was that Blaine was close to his grandpa and dad put the guy in a home against his will and told everyone he was senile.

So Blaine smothered his grandpa to death, so he could feed his dad the grandpa brains.

And then dad got snatched by Major, so it didn't even matter.

It was particularly messed up.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought it must be Fillmore Graves -- soldier dude found out about the cure in the previous episode.

I mean, practically speaking, why else does he exist?

That's a good point, this show's pretty good about details like that. (See also, Peyton pointing out something's weird with the dominatrix case.)

Also thank god this show cut loose the anchor of an excruciating love triangle. And basically in the best possible way, because if you watched this season assuming Blaine was faking it the whole time then basically every related scene becomes hilarious. You have everyone but Ravi defending the guy who zombified Liv, tortured Major, murdered kids and brought Seattle to the brink of a zombie apocalypse, and this whole time he's just mentally laughing his rear end off about it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So is that really how it works in a situation like this, where the police have to tell your spouse you were having an affair? That seems like it would cause a lot of problems.

durk onion posted:

So what is Blaine's plan with making more memory juice? I can't imagine anyone wanting brains with longer visions except for those trying to solve murders.

It's basically a super potent hallucinogen, with the right brains there has to be a market for that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That was some good poo poo, I don't remember the last time a case and the attendant brain was more interesting than everything else going on around it. Ideally every romantic jealousy murder in this show would take some crazy left turn like "suddenly, a secret room with a supercomputer rigged to exploded".

Ravi complaining about nerds is fantastic, as was Clive being the one who got super into it. It seems like he doesn't seek this stuff out, but once exposed to it he gets sucked in immediately.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Serious balls on Ravi though. Especially since it's Don E of all people.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I'm pretty sure the CDC lady ended up dead because she slept with Stoll.

But if she'd slept with Chase, she'd have been zombified. So maybe someone killed her while she was on the way to his room.

Also, drat it. Of course there was no chance something good would ever happen to Major, but I was still really excited for Natalie to get a happy ending.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Slashrat posted:

She might even be subconsciously reinforcing the personality shifts by acting like she thinks the brain's owner would, due to the pressure of doing this to solve crimes/mysteries and thus having to "connect" (if she just wanted to eat, she could adopt the tubebrain approach). It'd help explain the stereotypes by having them be exactly that; Liv's stereotypic expectations based on what she knows about the owner.

But there have been a few occasions, like this last brain, where she didn't know about their behavior at first but started acting it out anyway. Conversely, if it was influenced by what she knew of them then Ravi's suggestion that she was really attracted to him probably would have taken effect.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Zombieism continues to be a revolving door for Major.

I'm really pumped for season 4, it's so rare for a show to buck the status quo this hard.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Wait a minute, doesn't the fact that Major and Blaine both got reinfected after being cured mean that zombieism can't be vaccinated against?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

There was an iZombie panel at SDCC. Mild spoilers for next season. If you want to watch the full panel yourself, start here and watch the next two videos on the playlist.

:allears:

Also: how is Blaine possibly going to be a free man in the next season? His insurance was that killing or imprisoning him would have started the zombie apocalypse, and also he couldn't really be charged without revealing the existence of zombies. But like...there are a lot of witnesses to all his crap, and probably quite a bit of evidence (especially with Angus out of the well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

esperterra posted:

It's like five posts above you.

That's what makes forgetting it so unbelievable!

Speaking of forgetting things, can someone sum up the dominatrix plotline for me? Did the mayor himself arrange for that guy's faked suicide, was it all Fillmore Graves blackmailing him, was it something else entirely...?

• Locked thread