Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Gog has entire worlds dedicated to making props, systems built, operated, and sometimes made out of Gogs for the single purpose of passing time because making everything out of worms got boring.
the ol factorio optimization bug, as it were. and working class gogs living their gogs lives make for good media, so that's a plus to tinker with between cycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gog has a GogTube channel where Gog restores pre-Universal War antiques back to full functionality.

Gog also has a GogTube channel where Gog crushes the now-restored antiques in a hydraulic press.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The hydraulic press is a restored pre-Universal War antique.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That reminds me of the hydraulic press guy’s other channel where he did insane stuff like replacing his car’s wheels with giant saw blades and driving around a frozen lake while his wife laughs.

I’m pretty sure they both Gogs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Phy posted:

Jaunty lampreys are longer than you'd think

:golfclap:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

So Dave said recently that he could only keep up what he is doing for about 2 minutes before his body shuts down and organs fail.

Then he encouraged White Chain to use Ki Rata presumably on the giant fish, and after she didn't believe she could, Dave said screw it and busted out some sort of power jump kick on the fish.

Might this be a final action for the withered old man before a few last words?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

The hydraulic press is a restored pre-Universal War antique.

She put the pre-Universal War hydraulic press in another pre-Universal War hydraulic press.

For that cycle Gog was the ruler of 111,110 worlds.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

One of the more popular GogTube channels just posts endless "Is it worms?" content.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Phy posted:

Jaunty lampreys are longer than you'd think

i hate you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nimby posted:

One of the more popular GogTube channels just posts endless "Is it worms?" content.

Not many people remember that GogTube started out as a matchmaking service, where Gogs would upload 2 minute video personal ads encouraging you to eat the worm.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Azubah posted:

Will Allison even accept whatever this Cio even is? She's very much been against accepting illusion and whatever this Cio turns out to be, she may not even see it as a real Cio but another illusion to ignore the greater problem.

Allison didn't reject Cio earlier for her own sake, she did it to try to save whatever is left of Cio from Allison

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I don't know that "lol, not the scammers' fault if you get scammed and buy worthless poo poo" is all that much of a slam dunk. Sure, for the majority of players it won't really mar a great game, but they wouldn't put it in there if they didn't expect some players to fall for it.

As for the comic: These pages are great as usual, but if I were smart I would stop reading them right away when they come out, and enjoy a bunch of them at once. I am not smart.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twenty Four posted:

So Dave said recently that he could only keep up what he is doing for about 2 minutes before his body shuts down and organs fail.

Then he encouraged White Chain to use Ki Rata presumably on the giant fish, and after she didn't believe she could, Dave said screw it and busted out some sort of power jump kick on the fish.

Reach Heaven Through Violence.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dave is pulling a Yoda. He's got to lift that X-wing out of the swamp to show it can be done. He's not here to hear excuses. Do or die, there is no try.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I do like the reveal that shows that WC does kind of know Ki Rata, because it explains why she was able to move back when Dave had stopped time in their fight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

i hate you

I always suspected

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am still waiting for the shoe to drop in why Gog is secretly a terrible person, because so far she seems awesome. I could see no downside to hanging out with Gog and playing video games.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Donkringel posted:

I am still waiting for the shoe to drop in why Gog is secretly a terrible person, because so far she seems awesome. I could see no downside to hanging out with Gog and playing video games.

She eats people.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Donkringel posted:

The only reason she seems like a fun person is because we’re only seeing her as she presents herself to Allison, who she sees as the protagonist and is therefore cool and worth being a good pal to. Everyone else, she assimilates.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ravenson posted:

She eats people.

yes... and?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Gog's arguably the biggest failure of the lot; she's been doing for an absurdly long time and has ran out of options, unable to find meaning in the struggle. It's all the same to her. She could probably just eat everyone before Jagganoth even start his crusade against reality, but what's the point?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

blastron posted:

The only reason she seems like a fun person is because we’re only seeing her as she presents herself to Allison, who she sees as the protagonist and is therefore cool and worth being a good pal to. Everyone else, she assimilates.

You're right, the only reason she seems fun is because we perceive her. If we didn't perceive her then she wouldn't seem fun at all!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Gog is as stagnant as they come. She's gone this long without managing to change a thing whereas actual mere mortal Allison has flipped the script entirely on her first (and only) try. If that's not for lack of trying, I don't know what is.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I stand by my preference for most of the other Demiurges as characters over Gog but like, someone had to be the bottom of the seven, they’re all super fun.
The whole set make for great scenes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ravenson posted:

She eats people.

Gog forbid women do anything.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ConfusedUs posted:

That reminds me of the hydraulic press guy’s other channel where he did insane stuff like replacing his car’s wheels with giant saw blades and driving around a frozen lake while his wife laughs.

I’m pretty sure they both Gogs.

They are not particularly weird by small town Finnish standards, tbh.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Safer than letting them play with wands.

Most of the time they'll probably just kill themselves, but sometimes if you give a Finn a wand they'll turn all material concepts into gold.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pseudorandom name posted:

Safer than letting them play with wands.

Most of the time they'll probably just kill themselves, but sometimes if you give a Finn a wand they'll turn all material concepts into gold.

Very rarely though they can find enlightenment and create world peace though

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Reach Heaven Through Violence.

He finally realized he was never gonna accomplish this as he originally thought he would. But it still counts as a W if he just changes the meaning up a bit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Come to think of it "get murked" is a synonymous phrase if you have certain beliefs about the afterlife.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Twenty Four posted:

I'm pretty sure he meant he could only keep his Ki Rata freeze the water poo poo going for about 2 minutes, doesn't mean he can't still kick the poo poo out of things in the meanwhile.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Worm discourse, and the recurrence of giving up control and accepting the flow of history, got me to considering something from earlier in the comic. A fuller picture of Meti and her worldview, maybe. "My student asked me what should be done about my body when I was inevitably torn apart by my enemies. My answer was simple: feed it to the dogs outside the walls of the city." She was fond of dogs, preferring them to human company. There is enough of a germ of sentimentality here that she voices the preference for her dead body to be used to nourish dogs. It is a distinction not of whether the corpse should nourish something, but of which thing it should nourish, for if not dogs it would feed the common worms and other tiny things of decay. No other particulars or sanctifications are to be enforced for her remains. So it is that Meti was fully cognisant her death would feed something, and so it is she cared enough in her way to dictate which things her death would feed, how what's left of her would sustain that which she's fond of. Of course the dogs will also be fed upon by worms someday, but a dog kept living another day is still to her a preferable outcome to the dog which starved. And of course the dog moves past her, and one day all the world past her and the dog alike.

A dog feeding upon a human also consumes and perhaps suffers from the contaminants and toxins which concentrate in us as creatures high on the food chain. It is unfortunate for the dog to be so-poisoned, but for those that like dogs it's still preferable to the dog starving. The worms eat the poison and excrete it into the soil and eat the soil and excrete -- ad infinitum -- until the poison can no longer be distinguished within the great heap of earth around it. A somewhat poisoned dog which has eaten human flesh remains dearer to most affections than the primitive mass of worms. The worms and their kin are so ubiquitous and fundamental that any dog at all, existing for a brief moment, is almost a miraculous rarity.

We know now, from one of the sub-comic passages, that Meti was apparently the final heir to an ultimate technique passed in an unbroken tutelary lineage for generations of masters and students. It was a technique of such power and intent that it would act almost as an ideology in itself, dominating the lives and deaths of its lineage of masters. It warped her very deeply. But she never taught it to Mathangi or Incubus. They would learn much from her, but, so far as we are aware, would remain uncursed by the knowledge of that particular technique, and instead go on to cultivate their own techniques and interpretations of her teachings. This was Meti's great struggle, breaking the cycle of a domineering, diseased technique. Her pupils would still be poisoned by her other teaching, but in the nourishment of it would go on to live and be freer. She was at ease with giving up control and accepting history as it would come with the action of her great struggle, even if both of her dogs would grow into (bigger) idiots and monsters. Meti, I think, did not truly care or establish the distinction as to which was the "real" student, which of them was or is "correct"; I think she only cared in the basic sense, in the germ of her sentimentality, to simply provide the nourishment for a couple of miraculous dogs to live and move past her. (Though for this and in the context of Meti's own struggle, I also think Meti really did gain a preference for Maya; not for Maya's initial and eventual moral aesthetics, but rather as the one who would willfully reject or misinterpret far more of Meti's teachings and move past her.) A greater care for dogs than worms, even if a dog is just a fleeting veneer on the reality of worms.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

TGG posted:

I'm pretty sure he meant he could only keep his Ki Rata freeze the water poo poo going for about 2 minutes, doesn't mean he can't still kick the poo poo out of things in the meanwhile.

Sure, but they've probably been talking for all of, I dunno, maybe 2 minutes (how long he said before his organs start to fail) including pages 74, 75, and 82 while Dave keeps still keeps going? And they aren't out of the woods yet. Busting out the martial arts on top of that can't help matters and might be the nail in the coffin for him.

The "You have gained the knowledge of my technique, it dies with me but lives on with you. You must believe in yourself!" might seem kinda cliche but it seems like what's going down here, or at least might be his speech as he is dying.

I'm happy to be wrong but Dave's "Get your poo poo together! Screw it, enough whining!" and taking care of the situation if he knows he's done for anyhow is what it looks like to me. I wouldn't put it past his ego to try to die a martyr just to prove a stubborn point.

It'll be even funnier if it doesn't work out for him and he has to live with the embarrassment while reluctantly getting shoved into service in Allison's group.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean even if he is an rear end in a top hat about it, he's not wrong in that now is a really inconvenient time for WC to have an existential crisis

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Twenty Four posted:

It'll be even funnier if it doesn't work out for him and he has to live with the embarrassment while reluctantly getting shoved into service in Allison's group.

I still think he should hook up with Maya and help her run a noodle shop.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I mean even if he is an rear end in a top hat about it, he's not wrong in that now is a really inconvenient time for WC to have an existential crisis

Is there a convenient time to have an existential crisis?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Looking forward to White Chain figuring out her poo poo and the grudging respectful bow that Solomon is going to give her just before he passes on

"Now the student

... has become the - *cough* the master"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Flesh Forge posted:

Looking forward to White Chain figuring out her poo poo and the grudging respectful bow that Solomon is going to give her just before he passes on

"Now the student

... has become the - *cough* the master"

He'll say something like "your form needs work" but the spirit will be the same.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

Is there a convenient time to have an existential crisis?

True, but I would say at the bottom of a lake with a giant fish monster bearing down on you is a particularly bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On the contrary, it is the best place and time, only through great rear end-whooping can there be great growth and enlightenment