Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It could be that Angels that die in the void still reincarnate, but as a completely new being rather than as themselves in a new form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

Delicious also seems to imply that dying in the void will result in a loss of memory, or am I reading her wrong?

This is just my speculation, but what I'm gathering from this and past things regarding angels is that, destroying their bodies isn't killing them so much as banishing them to the Void. Killing them there, meanwhile, forces them to reincarnate, though whether it's actually killing them or just putting them to sleep basically is a bit of a mystery; Vigilant Gaze refers to the the angels seen around the Concordance of Angels as "slain" and "awaiting long reincarnation", while White Chain refers to the place Juggernaut Star and her are meeting as a "charnel house", implying that there, at least, those are corpses of angels rather than merely resting bodies, and it certainly looks the part. Though perhaps White Chain simply deems it improper to rest atop the body of a reincarnating angel.

Also, there's the matter of the Primes other than Michael have reincarnated (which is what he himself refers to what happened to him). So... There seems to at least be some way to permanently kill angels (or at least keep them from coming back as angels; reincarnation as a general fate after death seems like the sort of thing one could expect in this setting), though if that's the norm for killing an angel in the Void or something special that must be done is unclear; Metatron's survival is a big deal too, apparently. While Delicious refers to losing memories, Michael seems to remember his time as a Prime, meanwhile, too, so...

I'm wondering if "reincarnation" is used in two senses here, perhaps. One for if an angel loses their body and has to wait for a new one, and one for if they're actually slain and reincarnate. Or something. I'm really not entirely certain, and have a couple theories regarding this or that about angels. Like why Michael's the only remaining "Prime"; what happened to the others, and where did all these "non-Prime" angels come from, given that humans didn't create the other angels, just made bodies for them. Were they newly born from the Flame then, or, perhaps, are they the other "Prime" angels? Rather than being the only one to reincarnate, perhaps Michael is the only one to remember his former position (I've had this theory for a while, but given that the recent strip references memory loss involved in reincarnation that certainly helps it), and has been using that as leverage for status and power over the other angels. He certainly seemed rather selfish, egotistical, and possibly corrupt for a being of law and order; I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's been exploiting or abusing the system in some manner at least. Might be related to the reason he's the only "2" left, as well, despite all the other angels supposedly not, you know, being smote by Zoss and thus in theory starting with a lower number than him. "Oh, you don't remember anything? Well, you're 3 Aquamarine Orb Perceives the Holy, an angel, and I am 2 Michael, your master. Here's a brief history of how we came to be..."

But, yeah. TL;DR: We don't really know. Sorry.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 22, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who What Now posted:

So someone help me out here. From what I understand 82 White Chain met with the leader of the Angels, or at least throes that aren't Thorns now, who is 2 Michael. 2 Michael was angry at 82 White Chain for failing to bring Allison to him immediately, and had 82's body destroyed, sending her to...wherever it is angels go. The void? Anyway she quickly thereafter meets 6 Juggernaut Star, who invites her to tea and to discuss prospects of working with one another. 6 Juggernaut explains what the key in Alison's head is, a key forged from the power of the angel 1 Metatron, and that he needs for the key to be united with Alison's boyfriend, who he believes to be the successor to the Old King. 6 Juggernaut himself does not want this, he wants to purge Throne of all non-Angels, but his master does, whom I presume to be 1 Metatron. With the Old King's heir/reincarnation brought to Metatron the angel will be reborn whole again. 82 White Chain doesn't want to work with the Thorns, and so now they are threatening her by executing 23 Delicious.

That last part is what I don't quite understand, why is 23 there, how did they get there, and what exactly is the point of executing them? I can understand if it's partially to try and coerce 82, but when she agrees to help 6 is still going through with the execution. What would have 6 done if 82 had leapt at the offer from the start? Would he still have brought her here and kill 23 in front of her?

The Thorns want a new king of the cosmos that's under their thumb (Metatron's) so they can purge the world. Being apocalyptic religious fanatics whose endgame is the destruction of all that is not angel (or at least remaking Throne with the angels at the top, in a way that doesn't sound good at all for the rest of the universe) they also don't seem to be real big on angels that get too chummy with the meat types; working for demon mobsters, taking on humanoid affectations, etc. They're pretty much spiky heavy metal album ISIL, taking down a corrupted angel like Delicious is just the sort of thing they're implied to be into, the only negotiation or special treatment going on here is agreeing to (temporarily) spare 82 White Chain the same treatment if she goes to work for them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 22, 2015

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

It might be that Michael was the only Prime to reincarnate as a Prime, while the others further splintered into lesser shards of the Cold White Flame that are the bulk of present-day angels. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that angels only die (and go up a numbered prefix) when they're slain in the Void, and the destruction of their physical vessels is just a serious inconvenience, like getting evicted from a house or apartment.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so where do the concordant knights figure into this clusterfuck? presumably theyre just working for the "good" of throne, whatever that entails, as opposed one particular entity as the thorns are. but im wondering if theres someone 2 michael answers to.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thesaurasaurus posted:

It might be that Michael was the only Prime to reincarnate as a Prime, while the others further splintered into lesser shards of the Cold White Flame that are the bulk of present-day angels. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that angels only die (and go up a numbered prefix) when they're slain in the Void, and the destruction of their physical vessels is just a serious inconvenience, like getting evicted from a house or apartment.
I don't think White chain has managed to die 82 times in the void.

I think that Michael as the only reincarnated prime hints at some deeper issue within the angels, and your guess is good, but who knows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I think that Michael as the only reincarnated prime hints at some deeper issue within the angels, and your guess is good, but who knows.

I like my theory that Michael, once in the Void, fled, while the other primes stood their ground.

And as the only surviving prime he's been a really lovely leader.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

I like my theory that Michael, once in the Void, fled, while the other primes stood their ground.

And as the only surviving prime he's been a really lovely leader.

This wouldn't surprise me either; something like this is pretty much my main theory if it turns out there is a non-Prime origin for the other angels around nowadays. He's definitely not meant to inspire affection or admiration in the readers, and seems like a real rear end in a top hat overall.

I am curious as to what the practical difference between him and the "non-Prime" angels is now, though. He's the same size as they are, whereas the old Primes were enormous, and he seems, if anything, frailer than the average angel. It could just be a matter of appearance, but other than his status as having been a Prime before Zoss smote him, he doesn't seem particularly special. I mean, given how lawful and dogmatic the angels are that could be enough for him to be considered the leader anyway, I suppose, but it's something I've been wondering.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 22, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So do we know for certain an angel's number corresponds to how many times they've reincarnated? Because I always assumed it denoted the order in which they were created.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

He's definitely not meant to inspire affection or admiration in the readers, and seems like a real rear end in a top hat overall.

To be fair, this describes most angels besides White Chain.

Except 10 Vigilant Gaze. I like him. I hope we see more of him. He's a cool bro.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, this describes most angels besides White Chain.

Except 10 Vigilant Gaze. I like him. I hope we see more of him. He's a cool bro.

Well, I meant that more in that Michael seems deliberately off-putting; Delicious is an interesting, cool rival to White Chain and now more sympathetic than we previously thought, while Juggernaut Star is an imposing, awesome badass even if he's also a genocidal monster. Michael is lacking in redeeming or positive qualities that most readers would appreciate, though.

And yeah, Vigilant Gaze is pretty neat. Also the only angel (other than Delicious) to not be completely lovely to White Chain over her form, even if he came off as somewhat conservative and traditional there and unintentionally put her down. At least he seemed willing to consider her rebuttal, before Juggernaut Star showed up.

Who What Now posted:

So do we know for certain an angel's number corresponds to how many times they've reincarnated? Because I always assumed it denoted the order in which they were created.

I'm pretty sure it's been said more explicitly elsewhere, but at the least Vigilant Gaze refers to White Chain as being on her 79th incarnation, which she corrects to 82nd. 82 being her "number".

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

And this is over the entire length of creation. 6 Juggernaut Star has been killed 5 times, ever. I guess going all angel tea party makes you buff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wiegieman posted:

And this is over the entire length of creation. 6 Juggernaut Star has been killed 5 times, ever. I guess going all angel tea party makes you buff.

Most of the numbers we've seen are low, really. Delicious has a 23, while Vigilant Gaze is at 10. White Chain is by far the highest we've seen that I can think of.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roland Jones posted:

Most of the numbers we've seen are low, really. Delicious has a 23, while Vigilant Gaze is at 10. White Chain is by far the highest we've seen that I can think of.

I suppose the younger you are, the more times you have reincarnated, paradoxically.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angels are pretty bad rear end

Vigilant Gaze doesn't seem to imply 79 or 82 are particularly anomalous numbers. I get the feeling the active, remaining peace keepers have it pretty rough.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

I suppose the younger you are, the more times you have reincarnated, paradoxically.

White Chain has principles, dammit, and that gets you killed a whole bunch in a place like Throne

e. im disappointed we didnt get White Chain and Delicious starring in a buddy cop subplot. dammit 2 Michael, I get results.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 22, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

Angels are pretty bad rear end

Vigilant Gaze doesn't seem to imply 79 or 82 are particularly anomalous numbers. I get the feeling the active, remaining peace keepers have it pretty rough.

There's that too, yeah. White Chain was obsessively trying to "keep the peace" in Throne for a long time, and we've seen how messed up it is there. Meanwhile, Delicious went mercenary, which is probably relatively safer since you have the backing of some of those in power rather than being opposed to all of them. Vigilant Gaze, meanwhile, apparently spends a lot of time doing nothing despite immense power because he's mild-mannered and friendly, while Juggernaut Star... Well, apparently he does things like kill the King of All Creation, so he really is just an absolute badass even by angel standards.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think that you either have to get your armor fixed (such as when Allison removed the needle from 82's face after Delicious ganked her) or wait for ages to get reincarnated. Note how 2 Michael doesn't seem to be wearing armor, meaning he stuck it out and got his real body back, and the other Primes are still reforming after getting owned, both in Throne and in the Void. Judging from the fact that there's a bunch of broken Root Knight armor in the Concordance, I'm guessing one of the Laws the angels follow prohibits them from fixing their own armor or some poo poo, and that Thorns and Petals don't really give a poo poo. At least that's my thoughts. Probably off the mark in some way. I wonder if Abaddon will clarify it in the future or explain it outside of the comic.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The petals I believe do give a poo poo about that, its just immensely easier for them to get someone to fix their armor. Fixing your own armor is what gets you looking all.. Thorn-knight-y.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

I think that you either have to get your armor fixed (such as when Allison removed the needle from 82's face after Delicious ganked her) or wait for ages to get reincarnated. Note how 2 Michael doesn't seem to be wearing armor, meaning he stuck it out and got his real body back, and the other Primes are still reforming after getting owned, both in Throne and in the Void. Judging from the fact that there's a bunch of broken Root Knight armor in the Concordance, I'm guessing one of the Laws the angels follow prohibits them from fixing their own armor or some poo poo, and that Thorns and Petals don't really give a poo poo. At least that's my thoughts. Probably off the mark in some way. I wonder if Abaddon will clarify it in the future or explain it outside of the comic.

they don't have a 'real body', the angels are the gaseous eyeball cloud inside the armored shell

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

As someone pointed out earlier, Metatron in the void is shown bleeding out of his shell. I'm not sure if we're in the void with Delicious, but there is a callback to the image of Metatron being impaled by spears and bleeding there, too.

Also their life cycle seems to imply they start as vapor then condense into something heavier then grow gigantic. It is interesting in how it sort of resembles stellar life cycles.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Delicious is definitely in the void right now, and yeah the rules are different there

I'm a little hazy on exactly how the angels work in the physical world since this is White Chain without her crunchy shell but so is this, it's been said repeatedly that they're plasma or a 'nuclear explosion' or something by nature tho so I figured the whole solid form thing is White Chain being a wierdo humankin :shrug:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

SunAndSpring posted:

As I understand it, there's a huge taboo against an angel fixing or reshaping their armor in any way. Changing the armor changes the shape of the angel wearing it over time, which is why Michael was frothing about White Chain's attachment to the world 'corrupting' her, and why Thorn Knights look like :black101: lava skeletons (note that they've all torn off their own wings). Text accompanying earlier updates mentioned angels being "alloyed to the corrupting influence of infinity through reincarnation", so it seems like "going native" is an actual threat to Concordance dogma, which Michael deals with by banishing any angel that becomes too human, or outright killing them if he thinks they're too far gone and need to start over.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm pretty sure white chain has not been messing with their own armour, though? and i can't imagine that an angel's shell has much effect on their appearance if they didn't have any control over its creation/repair

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

White Chain hasn't been screwing with her armor but she's been taking on human mannerisms (like being a she) and her materialism may or may not be slowly transforming her into a humanoid type person

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's been said repeatedly that they're plasma or a 'nuclear explosion' or something by nature tho so I figured the whole solid form thing is White Chain being a wierdo humankin :shrug:

I think that's partly right, in that their shape is related to whatever idiosyncrasies are part of their psyche but their physical state (by which I mean the solidity of that shape) is tied directly to their age in whatever reincarnation cycle they've currently reached. So they begin in a gaseous state and slowly become more solid with age (Delicious is vapor, White Chain is liquid, Juggernaut is igneous, etc). For example, when Vigilant Gaze is talking to her upon her arrival in the void he says "now now, you've barely condensed your 79th incarnation!" which seems a bit like his way of saying "settle down, youngster!" It also leads me to think that if an angel is killed they start over from vapor at their rebirth. So we get White Chain having only reached liquid at this pint in her 82nd reincarnation while Juggernaut, still on his 6th, is basically solid rock (at least judging from the igneous classification, anyway). Although I'm sure his being a thorn factors into it as well, since we've seen that also has an effect on their physical forms.

Speaking of their physical forms, I'm kind of curious as to why Michael left the spears he was (presumably) slain with embedded in his torso. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if he was just being a dick and trying to make some kind of martyr-esque statement but I still wonder just what the actual statement is.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

The Mentalizer posted:

I think that's partly right, in that their shape is related to whatever idiosyncrasies are part of their psyche but their physical state (by which I mean the solidity of that shape) is tied directly to their age in whatever reincarnation cycle they've currently reached. So they begin in a gaseous state and slowly become more solid with age (Delicious is vapor, White Chain is liquid, Juggernaut is igneous, etc). For example, when Vigilant Gaze is talking to her upon her arrival in the void he says "now now, you've barely condensed your 79th incarnation!" which seems a bit like his way of saying "settle down, youngster!" It also leads me to think that if an angel is killed they start over from vapor at their rebirth. So we get White Chain having only reached liquid at this pint in her 82nd reincarnation while Juggernaut, still on his 6th, is basically solid rock (at least judging from the igneous classification, anyway). Although I'm sure his being a thorn factors into it as well, since we've seen that also has an effect on their physical forms.

Speaking of their physical forms, I'm kind of curious as to why Michael left the spears he was (presumably) slain with embedded in his torso. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if he was just being a dick and trying to make some kind of martyr-esque statement but I still wonder just what the actual statement is.

It's probably that they're part of his form now. Since form and psyche reflect one another in angel-ville, the spears probably represent his in-ability to get over or past that event. Which may also be why he's one of the few primes who "survived". Maybe the others just accepted the fact that they were dead or beaten?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
That's a fair point. It does seem like they may have some degree of choice over when and/or how they reincarnate (or even if they do at all), going by the 'slain brothers' in the void still awaiting new bodies.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Michael seems incredibly bitter towards humans, even hateful, so even if he can remove those spears I doubt he would; "martyr" describes how he seems like he'd act perfectly, given his rant about the compact being broken. He even said that he "[bears] the mark of its sundering", presumably referring to the spears he's been run through with.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
So this ended up a lot longer and a lot more twisty than I thought it would, but I think it holds together.

The core question in figuring out this talk of different kinds of reincarnation is what the number in angelic names is counting. I suspect it's physical incarnations, since this would play to the nature of the Angels we've so far met.

So 82 White Chain Born in Emptiness Returns to Subdue Evil would indicate an 82nd physical incarnation, an 82nd body, that houses the spiritual being White Chain Born in Emptiness Returns to Subdue Evil. Similarly, we'd have the 6th physical incarnation of Juggernaut Star Scours the Universe, and the 2nd physical incarnation of Michael. It would make sense - White Chain is a peace keeper who gets into a lot of fights. Michael and Juggernaut are political leaders who stay behind the scenes. Juggernaut is a bit more of a warrior leader, so there's the 6. Michael, meanwhile, is clearly holding onto a very old and damaged body.

But there's another part of angelic names, which is for most angels descriptive. The difference in that part - specifically, in the length - might tie into the nature of spiritual death and reincarnation that Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously is faced with. I used the full name here because it illustrates the assumption I'm about to make.

Michael has one part to his descriptive name. For all of the other angels, that part of their name can be broken down into components. I suspect the number of components for each name indicates the number of spiritual reincarnations (or long reincarnations). For White Chain, it could be as many as seven, counting every word (attaching prepositions and articles to the following word, which would make more sense in a name), or perhaps as few as three (White Chain, Born in Emptiness, Returns to Subdue Evil). Juggernaut Star Scours the Universe is thus either four or or two. Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously looks to be six or four.

So 2 Michael is insanely old in all forms. Only their second physical incarnation, and their original spiritual incarnation, which would justify the claim as being the only remaining Prime. This syncs up with what we've been told by 2 Michael and by 6 Juggernaut about the Angel's origin and Zoss' conquest. Zoss was the first to kill an angel in the Void, with only Michael surviving of the original angels and gaining a new physical incarnation. The rest of the original angels, however, were slain and underwent long reincarnations.

Had we met White Chain Born into Emptiness Returns to Subdue Evil earlier in their existence, we might have known them as simply White Chain Born into Emptiness.

The reason why the physical reincarnation numbers only seem to appear after Zoss' conquest, but then iterate pretty quickly thereafter, stems from the source of the armor (physical bodies). When they were 1 Michael, they had a body crafted by Koss and Aesma, which can reasonably be assumed to have been very powerful. All subsequent bodies, though, were constructed by increasingly less powerful beings, and thus were less durable.

So what we've got going on now is that 6 Juggernaut is going to kill Delicious in the void and force a long reincarnation onto her. When she comes back again, she'll be something like Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously Fearsome. What's implied is that returning from a long reincarnation, the new angel won't have the memories of their previous spiritual self.

The rest of what's going on is crazy angel philosophy/politics. It's pretty clear that the physical form an angel inhabits has an effect on their spiritual nature. Michael's faction wants to stick with a non-gendered spiritual form, but their bodies, crafted mostly by humans, tend to imprint a gendered nature onto their spirits. Delicious seems to be part of a group (though not apparently an organized one) that embraces that change. The New Flesh.

The Thorns seem to be an extremist version of Michael's view point, that embrace the notion of purity and inhabit bodies that pare away anything resembling flesh and put that ideal ahead of the Law and the compact that Michael still embraces, as much as he may dislike it. That would explain why the Thorns aren't rebels - Michael views them as fanatics but not heretics.

But we know now, from what 6 Juggernaut has told White Chain and their current actions, that the reality is much worse.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 23, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Michael" means "Who is like God?".

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

i can't imagine that an angel's shell has much effect on their appearance if they didn't have any control over its creation/repair
Clothes make the man. The same applies to angels as well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Or the Thorn Knights just make shells that suit their twisted selves better.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
New update!

Either Metatron is powered by sacrifices or that was some really fortuitous timing on his part. I feel like we might get some insight into angel naming if we don't cut away to 1 Allison Makes Bad Decisions, Continuously

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboCicero posted:

New update!

Either Metatron is powered by sacrifices or that was some really fortuitous timing on his part. I feel like we might get some insight into angel naming if we don't cut away to 1 Allison Makes Bad Decisions, Continuously

Metatron was there the whole time; you can see his wing-feathers in the background in the previous pages, it just wasn't apparent that he wasn't just another dead angel then. I think the second "panel" is him parting his wings to observe the scene, meanwhile, hence White Chain not noticing him earlier.

Also, wow, he is hosed up. Is he in his "armor" here? It looks like all those wings are "bleeding" through cracks in his skin, so, maybe Zoss didn't kill him in his body the way he did the other Primes; it was implied that he was hidden away somewhere, since Zoss had to "learn" of him, so, perhaps he was hidden in the Void prior to Zoss's rampage and was tied down and tortured there. It would certainly fit what we know and have seen so far.

Which means that he's still 1 Metatron. (Or Metatron 1, as Juggernaut Star referred to him.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 23, 2015

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I wonder why Big Z didn't finish him off once he got the Names out of Metatron. I can't believe it would be the old "I'll just leave you here to bleed out in this wasteland" mistake.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ixjuvin posted:

I wonder why Big Z didn't finish him off once he got the Names out of Metatron. I can't believe it would be the old "I'll just leave you here to bleed out in this wasteland" mistake.

Struck a blow he believed to be lethal, but it wasn't, perhaps? Or he kept Metatron around for something or other.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ixjuvin posted:

I wonder why Big Z didn't finish him off once he got the Names out of Metatron.
Might have made a mistake in terms of how difficult it is to kill a prime angel in the void that wasn't killed outside the void or some other inconsistency

He doesn't exactly look like he's in great shape still

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The background Thorns are really weak by this comic's design standards.They're all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Did the thorns tear out their own/their victims' wings and shove them into Metatron's wounds?

Also, I enjoyed the story of Het. All the written background shorts have been pretty great.