Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Neither Alison nor New Coke are who they once were, but they both long for what they had. I don't want this to end badly, but I fear that it shall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The more it becomes clear that the time in that house is really important in Allison's and Cio's memories, the more significant it feels that they got there via a time skip, and we never really saw how that life became. I don't mean that as a criticism, it just... seems notable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's a single named devil. She's at least as powerful as an Ebon. Hm.

Oh that means HIM is still above that because he's nameless.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Ditocoaf posted:

The more it becomes clear that the time in that house is really important in Allison's and Cio's memories, the more significant it feels that they got there via a time skip, and we never really saw how that life became. I don't mean that as a criticism, it just... seems notable.

It doesn't have to be perfect or even good, it just has to have had enough that nostalgia can lie to them to make it seem worth wanting.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It’s an idyll, the house they remember can’t be rendered on screen because it can’t exist in the universe of inevitable violence.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also its a SICKASS HOUSE BUILD IN THE SKULL OF A DEAD GOD

they're fighting and crying because they will never have a house that is that kind of cool ever again.

(except I guess that was Cio's second home built in the skull of a dead god oh well)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

(except I guess that was Cio's second home built in the skull of a dead god oh well)

Well, she didn't live in the first one, she had her own little balloon next to it where she could be separate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wasnt that just her office

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
Man that is some reverse-Pinhead cenobite level design going on there. It's almost impressive enough to distract me from the Gogs in fruit outfits in the back.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I suspect Nukoku is on the same level as HIM because she seemingly broke out of the (imitation of a) mask to become whatever she is now. Maybe she's repeated White Chain's miracle from the devil side and turned herself more human. At the very least it's the will of a powerful unbound devil made manifest.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Presumably Cio's death destroyed the masks and the names that bound her. If that's true then Nukoku's name and mask are things they created and bound themself with. An unbound devil asserting their own identity and will. Add this to the big list of things that are absolutely unheard of in the established setting and thus more evidence of the world trembling under Allison's furious dumbassery.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ebony, and Ivorrrrrreeeeeyyyyy,

Also I love the idea that she and Cio were living rent free in the head of a dead god

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

wasnt that just her office

Maybe? I kinda got the impression looking back that it was her refuge as well, that she'd used it to sequester herself away from Hell 71 and Praman Nand.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 27, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bilirubin posted:

Ebony, and Ivorrrrrreeeeeyyyyy,

Also I love the idea that she and Cio were living rent free in the head of a dead god

Rent free?
They owned the place

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Squatters rights are very advanced when each squatter can destroy the block with a single strike

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm not sure how much strength we can infer here given that Allison just no-sold her attacks

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

shirts and skins posted:

I'm not sure how much strength we can infer here given that Allison just no-sold her attacks

Nukoku would have been an end boss in the earlier books but at this point Allison is operating on a level of physical threat and psychological determination that makes Gog go 'I think she could maybe actually punch me to death, and that's literally incoherent as a concept.'

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I wonder what Nukoku thinks about death, whether she can affirm that she's alive, and what she believes is next.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Nukoku would have been an end boss in the earlier books but at this point Allison is operating on a level of physical threat and psychological determination that makes Gog go 'I think she could maybe actually punch me to death, and that's literally incoherent as a concept.'

fair enough, we're not close to aesma levels here but there are shades of aesma

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

shirts and skins posted:

fair enough, we're not close to aesma levels here but there are shades of aesma

Idk, I think Allison could pick up the entire wheel and smack Jagg with it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

I'm not sure if I am reading into this too much, but with this I am thinking that the white and black flames flanking Allison have switched.

WC was remade as a black woman and Cio is now an Ivory Devil. Each character is a total departure from the archetype of their species. WC flame was unchanging and unyielding until she became flesh while New Coke wants the surety and stability of a quiet, small life, pretty large departure from forcing a form onto unbound chaos with a mask. Now you have a maskless devil just wanting to garden.

In which case yo fuk yo prophecy Jadis, the flames have switched!

You're right, they are reversed. Allison dumbassed an angel into chaos and a devil into order

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

shirts and skins posted:

Not even sure if those attacks even landed so much as they both knew New Coke wasn't actually gonna hurt her (again) so she didn't bother doing anything but look annoyed at the pretense.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Allison simply chose not to be injured

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Can't be injured if you don't have limbs.

One neat trick opponents hate!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

EL Skirvo posted:

Man that is some reverse-Pinhead cenobite level design going on there. It's almost impressive enough to distract me from the Gogs in fruit outfits in the back.

Fruit of the Worm makes quality undergarments.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bussamove posted:

Silk drawers!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I do like the detail of Allison's torn sleeve showing the wooden arm underneath. Just a tiny little gap in her defenses when she was punching Nukoku away

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Bussamove posted:

In this cycle of the wheel there's no cornucopia on the tag, but Gog knows it hasn't always been so...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like Operant really likes things ripping apart to reveal something and then viscera going plp plp plp

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait.

Oh my god.

Oh MY GOD.

New Coke.

THIS IS THE THING WE WERE ALL GOING TO HATE!

I like it. :colbert:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sorry, what are you referring to? An Abaddon quote I missed or forgot, I assume

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Abaddon once tweeted that he had something upcoming in the story that we were all going to hate and that we basically just had to bear with him, and I assumed he was referring to killing Cio due to the much-hated "bury your gays" trope.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Synthbuttrange posted:

You're still operating within "the rules," which are fake crap for dorks

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MikeJF posted:

I feel like Operant really likes things ripping apart to reveal something and then viscera going plp plp plp

Yeah, but do they like it more than things going DOOM or DOM?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Rent free?
They owned the place

:thejoke:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You're still operating within "the rules," which are fake crap for dorks

Rules are just something a dummy wrote down ages ago and everyone just figured that’s how it was. For things like “reality” and “physics” that dummy just happened to be YISUN.

The trick is to be so stupid you can’t read ‘em.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Someone pointed out that Nukoku's spikes are the opposite of Yabalchoath's - they point inwards and hurt her instead of hurting others :(

The poor soda lady :(

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I don't understand what's going on in this comic any more. I suspect that's half intentional, half me being old.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Polaron posted:

I don't understand what's going on in this comic any more. I suspect that's half intentional, half me being old.

Really? It's not THAT hard to follow, what aren't you getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Really? It's not THAT hard to follow, what aren't you getting?

The only part I have a little bit of trouble with is the whole hierarchy of demons (like, I thought Cio was just gone forever after Incubus wrecked the mask) but that's only because they explained that poo poo so long ago and I'm too lazy to reread it. All I remember is black ones are strong, there's some King Demon Satan around just called HIM, and more names turn you weaker until you become Princess.