Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Realized I should be reading this thread now that I'm caught up with the comic (as of months ago).

Also, the poll at the top of this page is missing the option "Your pal, Gog-Agog"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I will note that you can just look up the text of 36 Lessons online -- it's obscure enough in the game that the game itself isn't necessary context. But Morrowind is awesome, and seeking out those books is a pretty great excuse to play it. It sounds like a fun source of extra direction while playing.

I recommend diving in and playing the game, just paying extra attention to seek out books in any area you visit. You might need to use a guide to complete your collection eventually, but maybe you won't.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 31, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Jank is good. I refuse to play a game with all the edges sanded off, a pure and frictionless dopamine loop.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Kalli posted:

I mean it's fine if that's your nostalgia,

You keep saying this but I didn't play Morrowind until a few years ago lol. I was 30. I'll acknowledge my taste is weird but you can't blame it on nostalgia.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fun fact: There were over 7 billion people on the world (our real world) until earlier today, but your memories have been retconned so that it seems normal for the world population to only be ~2 billion.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

FISHING

IS

PROOF

OF

YOUR

SKILL

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Azubah posted:

It's gonna turn out the fish is the master of that style she's trying to learn from Dave.

Koi Rata

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I assumed by "set" he meant the stage set: this particular arrangement of couch, chair, statue, etc. I'm guessing some TV show in the background, and Gog is mimicking some existing talk show host (or is that talk show host)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

IMJack posted:

Does Gog have multiple personalities who don't always get along? This whole bit of one aspect of Gog wanting to say something and another aspect telling the first to gently caress off reminds me of the different commentator Gogs during the tournament arc.

I think this comes back to that author comment, "Gog Agog is pure kayfabe and will always commit to the bit."

If it's funny to have a talk-show-host character interrupt the dramatic dancer character mid-speech, well, she's going to commit to each of those personas and play things out. They may be both controlled by the same will, but if she steadfastly refuses to break character with either puppet, at a certain point it's probably easier for an outside actor to treat them that way. Like you'd address separate characters voiced by your DM based on what you think the DM's going for with that character, while keeping in mind that they're both fictional. (...If your DM never acknowledged OOC speech and refused to end the game session or let you leave. Maybe the analogy breaks down.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 17, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

End of Act 5 ([S] Cascade, I think?) is still the best point to stop reading. It's a nice little "and the adventure continues" finale, like a show that didn't know if it was going to get renewed or not.

I forget which act I stopped on, but it was somewhere after the first act but years before the end, or even the longest hiatuses I heard people talking about. (It felt like each act was three times longer than the previous, so it's hard to use them as a measure of anything.) I made a fan game based on the first act, though. And went to an awkward meetup with other fans at Powell's Books in Portland. I was really into it at first. My falling off of the comic wasn't sudden, there just was a lot of time for it to happen over.

...Problem Sleuth is an easier recommendation to make. Same wild "scope creep" energy, but it managed to touch down for a landing within a year, and it has less "you had to be there" (though still some).

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Allison has really only renounced violence once.

She's renounced specifically Incubus' idea of 'you just have to get bigger and stronger and fight everyone' - and she's not doing that right now, she's trying to get Gog-Agog on side. She's making a team, she's not pursuing his kind of 'everyone is an enemy, trust no-one not even yourself' ambition. Gog is pushing her buttons, though, and is probably not get-on-sideable. What she really renounced against Incubus was giving in completely to main character syndrome and treating her friends as fundamentally lackeys and nonentities swept up in her wake.

She didn't renounce violence when she went to Maya to learn how to sword super hard, though she got told that swording super hard probably isn't the ultimate answer.

She did renounce violence briefly while recovering in Jadis' temple, but that was itself something she had to overcome, because it wasn't a principled dedication to nonviolence it was surrender in the face of the world. Then she did some spectacular violence to herself and others and came flying out of there like a bat out of hell.

Yeah, I don't think "violence vs nonviolence" is really even the principal question of K6BD -- it's more about the question of "if violence is the only tool that seems to have any effect versus the people perpetuating the cycle of violence, what do you do and how do you cope?"

Rotten Red Rod posted:

According to her, though, she took this form to survive. Which suggests if she were to forget, she would lose the tools to persist from cycle to cycle, and she'd, well, die.

If the accumulated weight of your memories are what make you you, then retaining those memories is survival, and purposefully letting go of them is suicide. Of course, obsessively hoarding memories to preserve that distinction of self is a great way to be miserable.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Gog is definitely trying to convince Allison to treat the whole situation the same way Gog does. Just like every demiurge Allison's had more than a few minutes' interaction with has done.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Brain Candy posted:

we have incubus at home

Not really even an Incubus thing though, this comic has been a conga line of demiurges asking Alison to become them. "Take the burden of this blood throne from me," "Best me in combat so I can bequeath my kingdoms to a ruler as strong as I was," "Look into the void of omniscience and internalize your own lack of agency, like I did," "Eat this worm." It never stops!

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 24, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Though it'd certainly be a thing if Allison decided the only way to win was to use Gog mode to exist through an arbitrary number of cycles until she figures out how to create an ending that's acceptable to her.

I don't think we're going that way. Groundhog Daying it is what Gog tried, and now she's a pile of frustration and Too Many Memories.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Niavmai posted:

"can the protagonist hear a thought bubble?"

man abbadon's got y'all tripping over your own feet

People are just speculating weird things because it's notably weird for a comic to not use thought bubbles for the first 699 pages but suddenly have them on the 700th. Sure, it might be most likely that Abaddon is just using a comics convention that he didn't feel like using until now, but it stands out enough to wonder about.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 24, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Since Allison knows she's going to die in 35 years, maybe she eats the worm at some point to ensure Gog's death.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The next page will show what what Gog-Agog says aloud by writing it on her shirt like in the earliest newspaper comics.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 26, 2024

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

to. to catch a fish. FIRST equip worm.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's okay because the worm is actually made out of many smaller worms.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Step 1: holy poo poo

Step 2: holy poo poo lmao he actually named her New Coke

Step 3: wait that means Cio is coming back later, doesn't it

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Cio’s already back, just look at her!

Sure, sure. But the famous thing about New Coke is, it was re-replaced with Classic.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The more it becomes clear that the time in that house is really important in Allison's and Cio's memories, the more significant it feels that they got there via a time skip, and we never really saw how that life became. I don't mean that as a criticism, it just... seems notable.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sorry, what are you referring to? An Abaddon quote I missed or forgot, I assume

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, whenever worldbuilding stuff like the demon tiers comes up, I get this feeling like "I should have been taking notes". But the story is followable and good even if you treat that stuff as essentially decoration.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Popoto posted:

lol I never got the Coca Cola ref because I pronounce it “see-o-see see-o-L”

I mean, that's correct except for a fourth syllable at the end of both words that sounds like the letter "a".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ciocie Cioelle is pronounced like you're spelling out "C-O-C-A C-O-L-A".

so your "see-o" pronunciation is actually part of it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 29, 2024