Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's very Nietzschean will-to-power in a lot of ways, but real Nietzsche, not the stuff twisted up to justify pathetic white dudes calling themselves supermen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Just. Stop.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I like the new attitude. Don't like the new haircut so much. Feels like she's walking away from being Sailor Moon.
I'm cool with it since its basically Motoko's haircut from Ghost in the Shell.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It's activities, and honestly I think you all just have really bad visual literacy. I swear, every third or fourth update there's some wild theory that hinges entirely on not being able to understand how to follow action from panel to panel.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The one critique I would level is that having the scissors open a bit in the prior panel would make it flow better.

Though I doubt even that would have headed off this nonsense.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Have people in this thread just not ever used a pair of scissors? Is that what's going on here?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

She was being super dramatic about it.
I was going to say it should be obvious that using a pair of probably-not-that-sharp scissors to cut your own hair off in great jagged chunks is not a normal way to get a haircut.

And then I remembered what forum I'm posting to, and that, no, that's probably not obvious to a lot of people here.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Even if Zoss meant for Allison to transfer the key, it would only be proper in this setting for her to take the throne herself anyways.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

What's annoying about this misreading of panels isn't that sometimes action is a little unclear or confusing - that happens.

It's that people keep spinning these giant nonsense theories out of them, and then when its made clear they were wrong, persist in defending the nonsense theories.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Unless I've vastly misread something, the way the whole thing works is that the demiurges used to be Zoss' comrades in arms, companions, and servants. At least some of them helped Zoss set up his empire in the first place.

Think of Alexander the Great and the diadochi, and keep in mind most of the people at the level of the demiurges are functionally immortal.

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm waiting for the retcon where Abaddon is like, poo poo those names are really similar, my bad.
Well the thing is Mottom is shortened from Mother Om and her name is actually Nadia.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 21, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

the future is WOW posted:

I don't think ley stones have anything to do with the keys but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure I saw a question about them on the 'submit' blog where Abbadon said they're just an accessory that acts as an amplifier for the bearer's own powers/natural talents but I can't find it at the moment.
Both could be true pretty easily.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I'd say she's definitely being a dick, but it's understandable and justified.
You all have a weird way of spelling "totally loving awesome."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah but the old comic was pretty silly and heavy on the cheesecake, while new K6BD is more serious. I feel like old Allison was lesbian simply because girl-on-girl titillated the audience.
Probably true, but it seems like a lot of elements included for that sort of reason in the old comic are being revamped and given a serious exploration in the new comic.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Poltergrift posted:

I don't know -- I can kind of see this as a defensive layer, like Fun & Peppy Sorority Girl Allison was. Being "cool" and not hating herself seemed like a good defense against the world, so Allison dyed her hair blonde; now the situation calls for a Tough Girl who uses a zweihander and shouts at demons and isn't afraid of anything, so we get Tough Girl Allison.
It's entirely possible both Badass Jojo Posing Sword-Wielding Queen of the Universe Allison and Leakyface Allison are both the real Allison.

I mean, US Grant was simultaneously the unflappable strategic genius who beat an apparently invincible opponent, and the serial failure with no apparent common sense; it came down to context.

Put Allison into a crisis, and you get Royalty. That she crashes and second guesses herself afterwards, and rages at the unfairness of a situation that demands this of her, doesn't change that.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Wow this is a stupid rear end argument with bad takes on both sides.

The angst over Zaid becoming a character isn't totally out of the blue, there's a long and awful history of interesting, capable female protagonists getting overshadowed by incompetent male sidekicks because writers are bad. So I understand why readers might be a bit meh on Zaid becoming a character. There's an equally long and bad history of female protagonists only getting motivation from love stories and rescuing their man, of having not ambition or drive for themselves.

The big "but" here is that Operant's being doing a solid job of keeping Allison central and has pretty clearly described him as a supporting character, so I think its fair to give Operant the benefit of the doubt here.

As far as whether he's a compelling character or not, frankly we know jack poo poo about him as a character at this point. He's potentially compelling purely by the spot he occupies in the story. His relationship to Allison and role as MacGuffin make actually dealing with him as his own person potentially interesting. That's about all we've got here.

On the flip side, I do have to say that if you're clamoring for him to have a central role in the story, you probably aren't reading the right comic, and there are already plenty of (read: way too loving many) mediocre-white-dude-in-fantasy-land stories out there to check out.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Poltergrift posted:

I get the vibe -- from that "I wish I were a noodle vendor" line -- that Maya internalized one of Meti's deepest principles, i.e. only idiots become adherents of swordsmanship and aspirants towards Royalty, but didn't understand that it was intentional, so she decided she'd chosen a bad teacher to induct her into a thankless murder job, and that she would've been better off as a noodle vendor like her mother.
I think its more that, when you're 12, "invincible swordswoman who fights naked and lives in a barrel" sounds like the best job, but when you're an actual adult you realize it kind of sucks. On this, Meti and Maya are in agreement.

I suspect the big difference of opinion is that Meti thinks there's no redeeming aspects at all, while Maya sees it as more a "it's a lovely job but somebody's got to do it" deal.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

I dunno, she seems a bit too badass for the "beat to poo poo" part to be regular, at least. Waking up on the ground with people wondering if you're dead (or perhaps just drunk or something), though...
My suspicion is that the outcome is typical, what's changed as she got more badass is the scale of who the other guy was.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Oh my god I didn't notice before you said it, that's amazing.

This really is the best comic.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

She's been cutting lately.

:golfclap:

Pavlov posted:

Did maya lose some weight? Could have sworn she was pudgier before.

Real answer, its mostly due to art style shift. If you look at her appearance in the lead up to the Juggs fight, she looks the same weight as now, once you account for ditching her cloak etc.

She looks pudgier in the first appearance more because Abaddon's style was to make everyone look a bit lumpier (and/or a bit noodly) at the time. Also there seems to have been a slight redesign in her facial features to give her less of a "smiling Bhudda" appearance and make her more hardened by the years. But even then she's not really chubby, just solidly built.

So it's not that Maya's character design got slimmed down so much as Abaddon's art style firmed up.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Incubus is clearly the best demiurge, even if he ends up not being the one with the most interesting story.

Also who wants to bet the elf Xena Warrior Princess goes to a metal concert get-up in that last panel is Allison's first D&D character or something similar?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

See, I read it as just tossing out possibilities - "Incubus, God, the Goblin King, a hallucination, who cares? That's not the important part right now."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It's a great line because it totally works in any of these interpretations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

White Coke posted:

He thinks that Allison is going to give Zaid the key, not Zoss.
No, Incubus is literally the only demiurge aware that Zoss picked Allison, regardless of what Allison is planning to do with the Key.

Mottom might suspect now, and for non-demiurges, White Chain knows but wants Allison to give the Key to Zaid anyways.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Well, the only one we've seen in-comic evidence that they're aware; given Jadis never being wrong, her difficulty with communicating, and her desire to die, it seems fairly possible she's also aware and just not saying anything about it. But that doesn't make her likely to actually do anything about it, so for practical purposes I suppose that doesn't matter.
Fair point, Jadis probably does know.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

why must you do this to us non-patrons?
The suffering will make you stronger. Unless it kills you, either works.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

At least its a really gorgeous page.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I dreamed I went to an exam with no pants on I dunno wtf is wrong with the rest of you.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

paragon1 posted:

More skyscrapers should have impassive visages on the side.
Eh maybe not so much.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

That doesn't say "skree-gronk" at all, tho????????????

How exactly did you get that onomatopoeia from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhJljblPcY

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd be strongly surprised if this doesn't end with all Allison's allies forsaking her and being forced to make it on her own for a while.
See, I don't get why we're assuming that Allison's crew actually knows better than her about how to handle things, or that she would have any reason to listen to them.

As Vladok, Princess reneged on a deal with Allison and then tried to kill her - and now Princess is basically saying that somehow makes Allison responsible for her angry, violent, blue self. Cio is into Allison, but she also just copped to trying to manipulate and use Allison for her own ends. White Chain has basically promised to betray Allison at an unspecified future date and continually tries to order her around and treats Allison like a not-particularly-intelligent child. Nyave is almost as much a fish out of water as Allison herself - she's also the only one who actually advises Allison instead of using that as an excuse to tell her what to do.

Meanwhile, it's not like Allison's plans have been objectively worse than any of theirs. White Chain's decision to take Allison to see Cio was an outright disaster that could have been easily avoided. Cio's admonitions that Allison couldn't handle what she was taking on haven't exactly been on point. Both have proved to have badly flawed assumptions about the goals of powerful people around them, and done a terrible job of predicting the actions and motivations of those powers.

If anything, Allison has been most successful when she's actively gone against the advice of Cio and White Chain and pulled her bull in the china shop routine.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 1, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

After Zaid is rescued, White Chain's business is over. And as much as Cio clings to Allison for protection, she could easily come to the conclusion that Allison exposes her to more risk than she provides protection.
White Chain wants Allison to give the key to Zaid. Unless something changes in the meantime, it's not going to be an amicable parting of the ways after they find him. They're gonna fight.

Basically, I'm not pushing back against the idea that Allison is being an rear end in a top hat. She definitely is. But it's not because she doesn't realize it. She just doesn't give a gently caress, and in the case of Cio and White Chain, has understandable reasons for not giving a gently caress. In particular, neither of them have treated her with respect or as an equal, and have mostly treated her like an idiot and a tool. As much as Allison might need to learn to treat her companions well, they - especially White Chain - need to learn to take Allison seriously.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

A bad plan executed immediately and forcefully can be better than a good plan later.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

Royalty: Hold my beer and watch this.
The sanctioned action is to hold my beer.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

She's not going to be happy with ultimate power, but she doesn't actually want ultimate power; ultimate power was thrust on her and she just spent the last few chapters trying and failing to give it away to any taker, what she wants is to survive and rescue Zaid.
I don't think this is accurate anymore. Given her declaration to Incubus, I think it's fair to say she's embraced the role of Conqueror King.

But here's the thing - that doesn't mean she fails to understand what that entails. The argument that it won't make her happy doesn't hold water if that isn't what she wants. There's a lot of people who desire something other than happiness in the way it's being defined there. Plenty of people chose difficult, challenging, and in many ways unhappy careers because it fills some other need. And most of them know full well what they've done.

Allison has picked that path. She might be making a mistake in the sense that she's hurting her chances of success by being a prick. She isn't burning her good will out of ignorance. She's spending it on purpose. Unwisely, perhaps. In a way that makes her a terrible person, sure. But that's a fundamentally different critique than saying she'll regret losing the good will of her companions for its own sake.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It is a quote from an angel, most of them have the biggest sticks up their asses.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Poltergrift posted:

Also, question: is Ys-Myra, goddess of the wretched, just a visual metaphor for the sheer threat scale of Allison's headbutt, or is she literally invoking a thirty-foot undead goddess to headbutt these demons into Black Flame matchsticks a la Bayonetta?
Yes

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I figured that Cio binding herself up with her own hair would be someone's *thing*, but I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be anyone here.
What are you even talking about?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Is it just me, or do Cio's throwing stars look like those paper fortune teller things?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

To be honest I half suspect Felicia is the door opener because she's actually an expert assassin and is going to take out one of the devils, who was only invited along because Oscar wanted them taken out and this was a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Which would be a much more sensible answer to "why is there a human in a devil crew?"

She's clearly some rube Oscar hired who has just enough skill to not die before she's supposed to.
Which is why I said "half suspect." Also the obvious explanation seems a bit on the nose for the way ABADDON has been writing this story. So I expect some kind of twist, I just don't know what part is going to defy expectations.