Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElMaligno posted:

Both Alison and her creepy boyfriend have the name Kill Six Billion Demons.

Where was it said that Zaid has that name? The prophecy one of Jadis's followers read said the name, but it wasn't explicitly about Zaid, just "the Successor". Everyone just thinks it's about him, but given Cio and White Chain being in the picture as well I'm pretty sure that's Allison there, not Zaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes, that is exactly what I'm referring to as "probably about Allison, not Zaid". Jadis never finished her statement, she stumbled partway through "successor". Meanwhile, besides being accompanied by Cio and White Chain there, that picture of Kill Six Billion Demons has no pants. Unless Zaid's going to get into wearing skirts, I'm pretty sure Allison's name bestowed by Zoss is unique to her.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 12, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElMaligno posted:

They are literary referring to Zaid, not Alison

And? They're probably wrong. The only person who knows anything there is Jadis, and again, she never finished her statement. Meanwhile, Zoss explicitly called Allison by that name, and he gave her the key, not Zaid, and asked her to avenge him, which is what the successor is supposed to do. Everything fits Allison being the one, except the Demiurges and Juggernaut Star thinking it's Zaid, which is the only evidence that it could be him.

Edit: Heck, a few pages before what you linked, Zoss calls her "kingling" and "my redeemer" and, again, tells her to kill the Demiurges. I'm pretty sure Zoss knows more about his successor than any of the Demiurges do, and unless he's playing her (unlikely, he doesn't seem lucid enough to be doing that, and that doesn't seem his style anyway) he, at least, seems to think Allison's the one who's going to take them down.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jackard posted:

Jadis never got around to adding 'consort' on the end of her sentence

ElMaligno posted:

I like this a lot

That's basically what I was saying, she never finished her statement; she said "He is the successor..." (spaced out some more), then tried to continue talking, saying "the s..." and stuttering, before her follower went all divine inspiration and began speaking over her. At which point, being the Demiurge associated with Sloth (each one of them is associated with a Deadly Sin), Jadis shut up because why bother. There's far more evidence that Allison's the one (Zoss's words and actions, the depiction of Jadis's prophecy, her being the protagonist, etc.), and the only stuff pointing towards Zaid are Jadis's likely-incomplete statement, the prophecy using masculine pronouns, and Juggernaut Star thinking it's him. Maybe. At the least, he's trying to get the key to Zaid (despite possibly being the one who killed Zoss when he was handing the key over; as others have said, the Thorn Knight that struck Zoss down does look a lot like him, though it also had the wrong sort of steed), and he probably has a reason for that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I find this kind of curious, since it shows Incubus even though the comic makes a point of obscuring him otherwise in the present (like in Jadis's prophecy and here).

I'm curious about that as well. Personally, I like the idea that he's old and decrepit now, the way Mottom and Jadis are, both to balance things out on that front and because the demiurge associated with Lust being a pathetic, shriveled old man seems ironically appropriate to me, but between that page and the concept art I've seen it seems like that's how he actually looks presently as well as in the past.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

What're the sins again? Mottom's Greed, Jadis is Sloth, Jagganoth is Wrath, Mammon is Greed, Wormface is Envy, Solomon is Pride and Incubus is Lust?

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up making a deal with one of them (and being quickly betrayed). Solomon seems the most reasonable and relatable so far, not to mention visibly the least horrifying, so I could see her getting fooled into that before he ends up being just as awful as the others.

Mottom's Gluttony, but otherwise, yes, that's basically it.

Tangentially, on the topic of that and Solomon, I love how every time we see him, like during the Concordance of the Demiurges, he's statuesque in appearance. Like, while they're bickering and arguing, he's sitting upright, arms on the chair's armrests and making minimal movements, mostly just raising his hand dismissively, like he's a marble statue or posing for someone; him leaning forward angrily when Mottom blasts Gog-Agog is the closest he comes to breaking that. It's a minor detail but the moment I saw him there it stood out to me and it still amuses me.

Edit: Seriously, look at him here and on the proceeding pages. The man is posing for the people looking at him, both real and imagined, and it's glorious. (Also, Gog-Agog's impression of him is spot-on, and her imitating everyone until Mottom blows her head off is great too.)

Edit again: Also, he has the biggest halo, outside of Jagganoth's, because of course he does.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 12, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that's interesting. I wonder who Juggernaut Star's master is, though, if he thinks that the successor will bow to his will. Heck, that he'd be willing to serve him like this. Presumably it's someone powerful, but not one of the demiurges since he wants them dead, and also presumably not 2 Michael. All the gods are dead, as far as we know, meanwhile, so... Hm.

Oh, by the way, meta-evidence to Allison being the successor that I forgot in the earlier discussion: When Zoss first calls her by "name", we don't know it's a name. It's the first time we've seen it outside of the title, so it looks like a command, rather than her name. Then, though, we hear the prophecy, and that the successor's name will be "Kill Six Billion Demons", and Zoss's earlier line suddenly gains new meaning. It's narratively making it pretty explicit that it's Allison, even panning outwards to reveal Allison standing there as the name is being said by Jadis, while also illustrating the demiurges' ignorance of the matter.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 14, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ixjuvin posted:

I love J-Star's bike skeletons humping their own components across the angelscape

That's a great detail. Also, didn't think much of it before, but he's confirming that it was indeed him who struck down Zoss. So that's fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Minor thing, but how thin Juggernaut Star is stands out to me. Despite being a kingslaying badass, his figure is sticklike. He's almost skeletal, and unlike some of the other angels we've seen in the Void, even the inhuman ones, he doesn't look like a living thing at all. He's even lacking in eyes ; almost every other angel seems to have them, well, everywhere, but he has two empty sockets. No wings either, another thing pretty much every other angel we've seen in the Void has had. I wonder why he's so different; it's not just being a Thorn Knight, is it? He's utterly unlike any other angel we've seen.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that's confirmation that Juggernaut Star's appearance is what happens when you become a Thorn, then. Also, look who's back. However briefly it may be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
...Oh dangit, that's probably why the prophecy refers to a "he"; Un is a masculine prefix/suffix. Yisun split into black Yis, who was female, and white Un, who was male, and all the gods and such after are called things like Yis-Voya, Un-Sivran, and so on. So, when we get Alice-Un, the assumption is that it must be a man.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that would certainly explain the hatred for Zoss and, well, everyone and everything who ever benefited from his actions. No wonder the Thorns want to purge Throne; someone has a (rather understandable, admittedly) grudge.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Say what you will about Thorns, at least they have an ethos.

That is true. However, their ethos is one of genocide and revenge against a bunch of people unrelated to the original incident beyond benefiting from it extremely indirectly (even the demiurges showed up after Zoss's rampage; scummy as they are they had nothing to do with what happened to Metatron and the other Primes), so it's not one you can really admire that much.

Also, I'm wondering if White Chain is going to interfere here; we're ending this page with Juggernaut Star about to pulp Delicious, rather than actually doing it, so it's a good setup for him to be thwarted next page. And opening a page with someone dying rather than ending with it, while certainly doable, feels a bit strange. I'm not saying it can't happen, and wouldn't be surprised if the next page is Juggernaut crushing Delicious, White Chain reacting with horror, then the former turning around to look at the latter and make an offer again or something. I'm just leaning towards something stopping Juggernaut as more likely due to how this has been framed. (Then again, it could be cutting off here so that the page ends with Juggernaut's statement, which is a pretty big reveal, I suppose.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

Delicious also seems to imply that dying in the void will result in a loss of memory, or am I reading her wrong?

This is just my speculation, but what I'm gathering from this and past things regarding angels is that, destroying their bodies isn't killing them so much as banishing them to the Void. Killing them there, meanwhile, forces them to reincarnate, though whether it's actually killing them or just putting them to sleep basically is a bit of a mystery; Vigilant Gaze refers to the the angels seen around the Concordance of Angels as "slain" and "awaiting long reincarnation", while White Chain refers to the place Juggernaut Star and her are meeting as a "charnel house", implying that there, at least, those are corpses of angels rather than merely resting bodies, and it certainly looks the part. Though perhaps White Chain simply deems it improper to rest atop the body of a reincarnating angel.

Also, there's the matter of the Primes other than Michael have reincarnated (which is what he himself refers to what happened to him). So... There seems to at least be some way to permanently kill angels (or at least keep them from coming back as angels; reincarnation as a general fate after death seems like the sort of thing one could expect in this setting), though if that's the norm for killing an angel in the Void or something special that must be done is unclear; Metatron's survival is a big deal too, apparently. While Delicious refers to losing memories, Michael seems to remember his time as a Prime, meanwhile, too, so...

I'm wondering if "reincarnation" is used in two senses here, perhaps. One for if an angel loses their body and has to wait for a new one, and one for if they're actually slain and reincarnate. Or something. I'm really not entirely certain, and have a couple theories regarding this or that about angels. Like why Michael's the only remaining "Prime"; what happened to the others, and where did all these "non-Prime" angels come from, given that humans didn't create the other angels, just made bodies for them. Were they newly born from the Flame then, or, perhaps, are they the other "Prime" angels? Rather than being the only one to reincarnate, perhaps Michael is the only one to remember his former position (I've had this theory for a while, but given that the recent strip references memory loss involved in reincarnation that certainly helps it), and has been using that as leverage for status and power over the other angels. He certainly seemed rather selfish, egotistical, and possibly corrupt for a being of law and order; I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's been exploiting or abusing the system in some manner at least. Might be related to the reason he's the only "2" left, as well, despite all the other angels supposedly not, you know, being smote by Zoss and thus in theory starting with a lower number than him. "Oh, you don't remember anything? Well, you're 3 Aquamarine Orb Perceives the Holy, an angel, and I am 2 Michael, your master. Here's a brief history of how we came to be..."

But, yeah. TL;DR: We don't really know. Sorry.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 22, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

I like my theory that Michael, once in the Void, fled, while the other primes stood their ground.

And as the only surviving prime he's been a really lovely leader.

This wouldn't surprise me either; something like this is pretty much my main theory if it turns out there is a non-Prime origin for the other angels around nowadays. He's definitely not meant to inspire affection or admiration in the readers, and seems like a real rear end in a top hat overall.

I am curious as to what the practical difference between him and the "non-Prime" angels is now, though. He's the same size as they are, whereas the old Primes were enormous, and he seems, if anything, frailer than the average angel. It could just be a matter of appearance, but other than his status as having been a Prime before Zoss smote him, he doesn't seem particularly special. I mean, given how lawful and dogmatic the angels are that could be enough for him to be considered the leader anyway, I suppose, but it's something I've been wondering.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 22, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, this describes most angels besides White Chain.

Except 10 Vigilant Gaze. I like him. I hope we see more of him. He's a cool bro.

Well, I meant that more in that Michael seems deliberately off-putting; Delicious is an interesting, cool rival to White Chain and now more sympathetic than we previously thought, while Juggernaut Star is an imposing, awesome badass even if he's also a genocidal monster. Michael is lacking in redeeming or positive qualities that most readers would appreciate, though.

And yeah, Vigilant Gaze is pretty neat. Also the only angel (other than Delicious) to not be completely lovely to White Chain over her form, even if he came off as somewhat conservative and traditional there and unintentionally put her down. At least he seemed willing to consider her rebuttal, before Juggernaut Star showed up.

Who What Now posted:

So do we know for certain an angel's number corresponds to how many times they've reincarnated? Because I always assumed it denoted the order in which they were created.

I'm pretty sure it's been said more explicitly elsewhere, but at the least Vigilant Gaze refers to White Chain as being on her 79th incarnation, which she corrects to 82nd. 82 being her "number".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wiegieman posted:

And this is over the entire length of creation. 6 Juggernaut Star has been killed 5 times, ever. I guess going all angel tea party makes you buff.

Most of the numbers we've seen are low, really. Delicious has a 23, while Vigilant Gaze is at 10. White Chain is by far the highest we've seen that I can think of.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

Angels are pretty bad rear end

Vigilant Gaze doesn't seem to imply 79 or 82 are particularly anomalous numbers. I get the feeling the active, remaining peace keepers have it pretty rough.

There's that too, yeah. White Chain was obsessively trying to "keep the peace" in Throne for a long time, and we've seen how messed up it is there. Meanwhile, Delicious went mercenary, which is probably relatively safer since you have the backing of some of those in power rather than being opposed to all of them. Vigilant Gaze, meanwhile, apparently spends a lot of time doing nothing despite immense power because he's mild-mannered and friendly, while Juggernaut Star... Well, apparently he does things like kill the King of All Creation, so he really is just an absolute badass even by angel standards.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Michael seems incredibly bitter towards humans, even hateful, so even if he can remove those spears I doubt he would; "martyr" describes how he seems like he'd act perfectly, given his rant about the compact being broken. He even said that he "[bears] the mark of its sundering", presumably referring to the spears he's been run through with.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboCicero posted:

New update!

Either Metatron is powered by sacrifices or that was some really fortuitous timing on his part. I feel like we might get some insight into angel naming if we don't cut away to 1 Allison Makes Bad Decisions, Continuously

Metatron was there the whole time; you can see his wing-feathers in the background in the previous pages, it just wasn't apparent that he wasn't just another dead angel then. I think the second "panel" is him parting his wings to observe the scene, meanwhile, hence White Chain not noticing him earlier.

Also, wow, he is hosed up. Is he in his "armor" here? It looks like all those wings are "bleeding" through cracks in his skin, so, maybe Zoss didn't kill him in his body the way he did the other Primes; it was implied that he was hidden away somewhere, since Zoss had to "learn" of him, so, perhaps he was hidden in the Void prior to Zoss's rampage and was tied down and tortured there. It would certainly fit what we know and have seen so far.

Which means that he's still 1 Metatron. (Or Metatron 1, as Juggernaut Star referred to him.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 23, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ixjuvin posted:

I wonder why Big Z didn't finish him off once he got the Names out of Metatron. I can't believe it would be the old "I'll just leave you here to bleed out in this wasteland" mistake.

Struck a blow he believed to be lethal, but it wasn't, perhaps? Or he kept Metatron around for something or other.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderdrake posted:

The Thorns in the concordance (or wherever Michael was) all had different appearances.

I kinda wonder if it's an artistic choice, or if they're all the same person... Or perhaps joining with the Thorns isn't a voluntary process and this is how they look in the void because of that

I don't know; Juggernaut Star's armor (that's him striking off Zoss's head) matches his form in the Void rather well. Extremely well, really; I think it's meant to be pretty clear that his body is shaped to fit inside of his armor. Which raises the question of what's going on with all these other Thorn Knights because none of the ones we've seen the armor of were missing their heads. They're not 100% uniform (one even has a floating ring where its head would be), either. It's strange, to say the least. Is Juggernaut Star unique amongst the Thorn Knights, or is there something special/weird about these headless guys?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 24, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Perhaps they've shaped themselves into headlessness as part of becoming fanatic royal guards in particular.

Yeah, despite me throwing out the suggestion I'm pretty sure Juggernaut Star isn't unique for actually matching his armor; there's something weird with these guys, whatever it is. Pretty sure if we encountered more "normal" Thorns they'd fit into their armor more or less perfectly as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A.o.D. posted:

Why do the blue masked demons seem to be the most homogeneous?

I'm not sure, but it also raises another question: Why is Cio so much bigger than every other "imp"? They're all pretty small, while she, though not big, is human-sized.

I also wonder when we're going to learn more about her having apparently stolen a key; how and why did she do it, and is that it still in her head? If so, why does she still have it and isn't targeted by, well, everyone for having it? If White Chain was aware of it then presumably others are as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
“The Devyl is gyven as much to merryment as he is to slaughter. Some may fynd thys puzzlyng. I fynd it necessary.”
-Thulsa Drulle

Also, "Mash it in thy gob!" As well as the summary of cheating as "veeeery heroic". Which, going by many myths, isn't wrong, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
New names may have been a manner of hiding after stealing that key. It's an interesting way of getting a new identity, both new names and a new appearance. And yeah, that one verse suddenly explains so much despite coming from a random character we've never seen before, talking about himself. It also raises more questions, of course, but still, that's a really neat way to pull that reveal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

Well! Someone is a sore loser.

I wanted to post pretty much exactly this but you beat me to it.

Wow, though, that doesn't look good.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A.o.D. posted:

Its probably bad for Vladok. Demons get their first name and mask by making a pact with humans. They gain power and prestige by deeds and subterfuge. He just lost a contest, which wasn't good for his name, but also forfieted in pretty much the worst way possible. His mask shattering almost certainly wasn't symbolic.

That's true, but the thing is that the mask chains a demon's power as well as allows them to enter the physical world and such. We've already gotten ominous references to the power of the devils, and if he gets that key then losing his name and mask might not matter.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That brand was the mark of their pact, the one Vlad just violated.

I don't think things are going to go as well for him as he'd like.

Yeah. I doubt he's going to just disintegrate before he reaches her, so I'm wondering if someone's going to come to Allison's rescue, or if she's going to personally annihilate him somehow. Probably the former, given that the latter would almost certainly be accidental on Allison's part, but if nothing else it's fun to think about.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent, "Take me to that loving castle!" is a great line.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Green Intern posted:

I don't really know where we're supposed to recognize that fancy devil from.

In this story? Nowhere, I'm pretty sure this is his first appearance here, he's just a past contact of Cio's or something. He apparently was a character in the proto-KSBD that was on the MSPA forums, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Mentalizer posted:

I haven't seen anybody mention it yet but is that a couple of Preem Nand's creepy daughters there 2 pages back (panels 5 and 7)? Perhaps sent out to look for Cio and Allison? I'm assuming it is, what with Dhothuulmell rhetorically asking Cio if Praman is aware of her having quit.

That's the obvious implication, yeah. It's not outright stated but I'm sure that's them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given her key, I wouldn't be surprised if she outright forced the mask onto him. What happens then, who knows, but it'll be interesting, whatever happens.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Forgall posted:

Also her forehead magic bullshit seems to be charging up, so her ability to just slap a mask and a name on a demon is probably unique.

This is what I was speculating earlier, yeah; if binding a devil were always this easy, it'd be the go-to option. Also the others wouldn't be reacting like they are now. Also also has anyone else noticed that the demon's face seems to be liquefying/melting where Allison is slamming the mask into it? That looks strange.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

atomicthumbs posted:

i think it's more the equivalent of pulling out a gun in a bar, intending to shoot everyone and then yourself, only to have the person who pissed you off point at the gun and turn it into working in a soup kitchen for a month

They're referring to the demon with the old mask, who the magisters were in the process of making a deal with earlier, not to The Demon Formerly Known as Vladok. You can see him in the first panel of the latest strip, bemoaning Allison taking his new mask.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So that was amazing. Also, turns out my earlier theory about Cio having once been far more powerful once and having let her name degrade was right, though I didn't expect that. I wonder if her (presumably) still having that key is worth more than her losing ebon status. I'd assume so but ebon devils are supposed to be so rare and powerful (I think the number is in the single digits) that it's quite a lot to lose, even in exchange for a key.

Also, the text below the comic is great.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 28, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Christmas posted:

Oh hey, Vladok is a lady now that she's Princess, even though most of her names are masculine

On a Reddit AMA or something a while back, Abaddon said there's some arch devil called only "Himself." So you can go beyond Ebon if you don't have a name at all.

I think that's part of being a blue devil, actually; note that every other form Princess went through was pretty masculine, but literally every single imp we've seen is feminine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, looks like Allison's finally getting some respect around here.

Also, whoever called that she didn't actually use the charm Cio gave her: Good call.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's probably a mix of respect, awe, and fear; what she did to bind Princess probably shouldn't have been possible, especially for a devil of that power. They probably realize better than the magi that poo poo's going to go down, now that they've seen her in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phy posted:

I was trying to remember her name, and "Velma Sprinkles, Gun Witch" was as far as I got

It's Layla, not Kayla, but yeah.

Superstring posted:

Auntie Maya is looking pretty imperious up there.

Indeed. And she's following them a lot more closely than I would have figured. I don't think any of them realize who she is exactly, though.

More interestingly, apparently they're planning to follow Allison and Cio into Mottom's palace, which one would think would be inadvisable. They must really want that key, and be really sure of themselves. Which, well, fits Eris-Lo Kai pretty well, really, at least.