Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

So are the wheels of the bonecycle a part of 6 Juggernaut Star?

the wheels are other angels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who What Now posted:

So someone help me out here. From what I understand 82 White Chain met with the leader of the Angels, or at least throes that aren't Thorns now, who is 2 Michael. 2 Michael was angry at 82 White Chain for failing to bring Allison to him immediately, and had 82's body destroyed, sending her to...wherever it is angels go. The void? Anyway she quickly thereafter meets 6 Juggernaut Star, who invites her to tea and to discuss prospects of working with one another. 6 Juggernaut explains what the key in Alison's head is, a key forged from the power of the angel 1 Metatron, and that he needs for the key to be united with Alison's boyfriend, who he believes to be the successor to the Old King. 6 Juggernaut himself does not want this, he wants to purge Throne of all non-Angels, but his master does, whom I presume to be 1 Metatron. With the Old King's heir/reincarnation brought to Metatron the angel will be reborn whole again. 82 White Chain doesn't want to work with the Thorns, and so now they are threatening her by executing 23 Delicious.

That last part is what I don't quite understand, why is 23 there, how did they get there, and what exactly is the point of executing them? I can understand if it's partially to try and coerce 82, but when she agrees to help 6 is still going through with the execution. What would have 6 done if 82 had leapt at the offer from the start? Would he still have brought her here and kill 23 in front of her?

The Thorns want a new king of the cosmos that's under their thumb (Metatron's) so they can purge the world. Being apocalyptic religious fanatics whose endgame is the destruction of all that is not angel (or at least remaking Throne with the angels at the top, in a way that doesn't sound good at all for the rest of the universe) they also don't seem to be real big on angels that get too chummy with the meat types; working for demon mobsters, taking on humanoid affectations, etc. They're pretty much spiky heavy metal album ISIL, taking down a corrupted angel like Delicious is just the sort of thing they're implied to be into, the only negotiation or special treatment going on here is agreeing to (temporarily) spare 82 White Chain the same treatment if she goes to work for them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 22, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

I think that you either have to get your armor fixed (such as when Allison removed the needle from 82's face after Delicious ganked her) or wait for ages to get reincarnated. Note how 2 Michael doesn't seem to be wearing armor, meaning he stuck it out and got his real body back, and the other Primes are still reforming after getting owned, both in Throne and in the Void. Judging from the fact that there's a bunch of broken Root Knight armor in the Concordance, I'm guessing one of the Laws the angels follow prohibits them from fixing their own armor or some poo poo, and that Thorns and Petals don't really give a poo poo. At least that's my thoughts. Probably off the mark in some way. I wonder if Abaddon will clarify it in the future or explain it outside of the comic.

they don't have a 'real body', the angels are the gaseous eyeball cloud inside the armored shell

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Delicious is definitely in the void right now, and yeah the rules are different there

I'm a little hazy on exactly how the angels work in the physical world since this is White Chain without her crunchy shell but so is this, it's been said repeatedly that they're plasma or a 'nuclear explosion' or something by nature tho so I figured the whole solid form thing is White Chain being a wierdo humankin :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

White Chain hasn't been screwing with her armor but she's been taking on human mannerisms (like being a she) and her materialism may or may not be slowly transforming her into a humanoid type person

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Crowdsourced profundity, man. It's a little weird how well it's worked.

I'm sort of surprised how with only a few exceptions random internet nerds have nailed the style, either operant is actually a sorceror bending cosmic laws to his will or he's moderating the poo poo out of 10,000 "first"s and discussions on which demons are the most fuckable ever time he updates

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 31, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ok I want that guy's getup, i'm p sure I could pull off the hell pirate pimp look right

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it just keeps getting better, how

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Yep. He filled the role of both White Chain and Cio, in that he was Allison's supernatural guide and mentor into a world of surreal zaniness.

The story itself is short enough to be read quickly, and it can be interesting just to see how the content changed and was reworked; but the MSPA forums really need something like SA has so you can filter a thread to only see one poster's comment and ignore the rest.

Here, post #206 is Oscar/Dhothuulmell's detailed introduction in the protostory.

http://mspaforums.com/search.php?searchid=2151495

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons is often made out to be way way more confusing than it actually is and I don't know why.

remember when goons needed a dissertation to get the jokes in Perry Bible Fellowship

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

It is of course possible that I might simply be an idiot.

Things that I do not understand, off thr top of my head.
-What do the Thorns want, exactly? They are an accepted faction amongst angels, and 06 Juggernaut had some vaguely nihilist plans, but it's not clear how much of them are the angel's personal plan and how much is their faction's.
-What authority do the angels have, since the authority that created them is now little more than part of the architecture?
-What does a demon need to do to "improve" their name, once they have a single one remaining? One of the background red demons says that they used to be a gold one before their name "grew old" and Vladok seems interested in improving his, so it is possible.
-How does thst Sphinx guild master fit in this cosmology?

Basically I care way more about this wicked cool world that I am seeing than I do about Allison and Zaid. I accept that we must follow them if we are to see more of it, and I am sympathetic enough that I would care at least Allison met an ignominous death, but I am mostly here for the worldbuilding.

- their deal wasn't really explained until just recently, they're a radical faction of angels who want to make Metatron the power behind the throne of a new Conquering King, which is heavily implied to be bad news. They don't like non-angels, even moreso than the rest of the angels.
- they're superpowered metaphysical cops in a decaying anarchic warlord state, they get their authority through kicking the poo poo out of people same as everyone else
- :shrug:
- he's a demonic mob boss, bigger and nastier than the other demons, see: where the angels' authority comes from

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

I assume this naming thing is only applicable to a demon in this unstable state, otherwise anyone with an interest in keeping them under control would just slap a bunch of names on every demon and slow their ascension to ebon significantly.

I think it's pretty clear from everyone else's reactions that what Alison's doing should not work period, and wouldn't work if anyone else tried it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh.
One wonders if it would be a good idea to swallow those again, if they give similar powers. A shame she's in an hurry and also would not want to do it anyway.

i feel like being outnumbered by your stomach demons could end poorly

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ElMaligno posted:

being perpetually drunk is the best because you would never ever be hungover.

you can easily be drunk and hungover at the same time, it's just sort of a and-none-lived-to-tell-the-tale sort of situation

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the giant loving baby's been around but unfortunately we haven't gotten to see it kicking peoples' asses yet

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There was no evidence of electricity or automation on Throne, either (unless those giant angel corpses got a V8 humming along somewhere in there) so yeah IDK why she's suddenly all surprised about the pseudo-medieval magical society now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i guess I mean the main thing we know about it is there's a sleazy hell bar there so it already looks more truck stop than outer darkness. why wouldn't there be a road

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I really wanna know more about the Servants, every piece of cosmology has detailed the deal with angels, demons, and humans pretty well, who all have their own domains and rules and history and social role, and then the story goes 'oh yeah and there's those guys too'

maybe they're just the creation-myth middle child

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 16, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

I would like to know the deal with those book head guys

Unbeatable by spear or sword but living in eternal fear of the highlighter

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

So none of the other demiurges know that Zoss was killed? Hmm, wonder if Incubus was the one who found him and set up a deal with the Thorn Knights to kill him off.

none of the other demiurges are willing to let each other know they know Zoss is dead

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i mean if you assume it takes a month and a half to personally supervise denuding a world that still leaves everyone else a demiurge-free interval longer than human history

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

wiegieman posted:

There's advanced technology in the multiverse, the Demiurges just keep it to themselves. It would all be reduced to ash in a single searing moment of godly regard anyway.

yeah the impression I get is everything's all medieval-style not because they're super backwards compared to us but because they use magic and slaves to do everything we do with machines better so why bother

that city coulda been all Star Trek gleaming skyscrapers until Mottom came along

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 14, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the demiurges don't seem real keen on innovation or long-term investment so I could totally see them, like, sacking Earth or whatever the first planet in teleport range is called in each universe and not bothering try to get to the rest

I mean that's still an effectively infinite amount of resources especially when the whole point is just to keep one jumped-up feudal autocrat in impossible luxury

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 14, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

True, though it always bugs me when you have a setting that claims this but then their rich and powerful don't actually seem to have better things and creature comforts than us in lots of smaller areas.

Does Mottom's bed have magical memory foam? We'll see.

i can't say I've noticed them lacking for any conveniences although who knows what the comfort standards of a giant sphinx monster with laser eyes and a harem of hell monsters doing his every bidding really are

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:10bux: big rotating knives right behind the first door

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah this is exactly the kind of exposition dump I didn't want to see

you been doing show don't tell just fine the first time dude quit talkin down to the readers. if it was actually plot-critical stuff you had to make sure everyone got before going forward that'd be one thing, this is just killing the fun of big crazy cosmic anarchy by overexplaining all the rules

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 28, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

We don't really know exactly how the "no lies" thing works. We may find out very soon.

we kinda explicitly do

dude even went back and added extra explanation, in case you didn't get it from watching 82 White Chain lie and what happened when she did

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Redbeard posted:

On this page the bouncer at the guilded cage implies the destruction of White Chain's body would lead to her reincarnation.

I don't think White Chain ever was a prime angel. Michael's lesson to White Chain about the prime angels would be weird if she were one too.

Edit: VVV The old devils tale mentions 777 smoking shards of the cold white flame. But does that mean there are 777 prime angels, or 777 angels total? White chain describes her fire as smokeless, also, so maybe neither is true.

yeah the Prime Angels are the big columns chilling out around coming or going guy, aside from 2 Michael and Metatron they're (supposedly) all comatose

I think the idea with the angels is, like the demons, there's endless swarms of them hanging out in the void and only a relative few get incarnated when someone in the normal universe wants them for some reason

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 2, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

on the topic of devils - its pretty conclusive that their masks are what house their personalities and so forth, yeah? Preem Nands """"girls"""" seem to have some kind of consistency to them, despite being formed from a couple randomly selected faceless things. Vladok lost himself when he broke his mask and got reformed as Luna Longname.

hell this might have even been stated outright at some point, i cant remember

e. actually on the flip side, Ciocie seems to have some kind of continuity between herself and the her that stole the gate key, before being demoted. so maybe thats not how it works. all i know is that maskless devils are brainless chaotic assholes.

yeah the masks and names give them form and limits, they all want to break as many of their limitations as possible but it turns out with no limits at all you're just a hungry piece of the Hot Black Flame and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVbOSEsJNo&t=81s

how exactly, like, swapping a mask would work isn't clear, or what's normally involved in gaining/losing names, but Cio never lost her mask and so has always been Cio plus or minus whatever traits her names give her

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 3, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ahahaha "...and repulsive, I suppose"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Redbeard posted:

Artifice is a good name for the skill, but for ranks of power i don't know if it works. It needs to fit in sentences like this: "Start with 1 Insight and Scry, you still may not have more than 1 Insight at character creation" "Use Prophecy, Scry, and Sense at +1 Insight. You can learn these Arts even if you otherwise have no Insight."

Wow, way to answer all of our previous speculation in one update!
White chain dies a lot to get all the way to 82... Have we seen a higher number yet?

Sovereignty or a synonym thereof is probably the best you're gonna get, it's the hubris and power to play God and the defining talent of the ruling class of a superhumanly arrogant society of demigods. You're talking guys who call themselves things like "Demiurges", "Dread Masters of the Universe", "Conquering King", and can back it up. But students of Aesma knows how to handle arrogant sovereigns

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

actually looking back Royalty (and syllables of ) is the standard nomenclature

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Royalty is always conflated with supreme power and transcendent understanding of the universe, to know the seven syllables of royalty and their seven intonations is as close to understanding Yisun and their work as anyone really gets.

I don't think that's really how it works in the universe (most of the magic we've seen in use seems to require no more innate command of magical theory than use of a cellphone requires understanding of subatomic physics, for the same reasons - it's stuff like Mottom tossing killing words around or the demiurges creating the keys that's special and innate to the caster) but between the two you can whip up a convenient 49-point sliding scale from the mundane to functional omnipotence so

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 3, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cio's paper soldiers are a pretty neat gadget that's way too powerful for a minor secretary demon to have just on hand but I don't think her using them implies she'd be equally proficient at casting any old equivalent spell, she just knows how to wield origami creatively and has some leftover gear from when she was Ebon. There's not a lot of dedicated wizards in the comic, Demiurges aside, everyone's got magical gadgets of whatever kind are useful to what they do and most of the (mostly mercenary/cop) folks we've encountered have picked up some physically improbable martial arts of one kind or other but nobody's tossing fireballs around and studying up to learn Dimension Door, that's just not a discrete field of knowledge separate from everyday life skills and technology unless you're a reality-bending, teleporting-into-heaven-by-raw-talent-alone ubermensch. Being good at magic is like being good at electricity, only if you're Edison you can shoot lightning out of your fingers

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 3, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Minor detail I liked, Michael's form in the Void still has the spears in it.

dude knows how to carry a grudge

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's arguable that it makes some sense (calling all angels he even though gender is a concept that doesn't seem especially applicable to them as individuals) as they're formed from part of the masculine white flame.

Devils are formed from part of the feminine black flame and skew heavily feminine in appearance, though they seem much less uptight about changing that as they grow.

e/ Mike is definitely sexist as gently caress, but his beef with White Chain is that they're too human. Using "her" would, from his perspective, be reinforcing that they're not really an angel anymore, because "he" is what angels are. I don't know if I'm making sense.

That's his claim but he also cares way, way too loving much about gender for a sexless vaporous fight monster who legitimately doesn't have a dog in the fight and is purely a stickler about tradition. Like, imagine someone getting this angry about someone else talking about what kind of motor they'd like to have, if they were a car

ok on second thought maybe 2 Michael is just GBS is gently caress

Dr Christmas posted:

2 Michael's that one relative shouting "HIS name is BRUCE Jenner!" at Thanksgiving dinner.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

btw Operant your New Worlds short is severely loving excellent

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think that's more what I was trying to get at, that he flat doesn't believe White Chain so his idea is to go talk to the guy they just told him is at the root of the problem, and that this is a fairly old patriarchal routine.

I'm pretty doped up at the minute, not surprised I make even less sense than usual.

yeah i got it

IDK that 'believe' even enters into it so much as the system has one way of addressing problems, and that's to defer to the judgement of the guy who happens to be creating the problem, and nobody who's not directly in the crosshairs at the moment really cares enough to up and overthrow their entire political system and start la revolucion this minute on behalf of some mortals they don't even really like. Angels are creatures of law, they're not necessarily creatures of justice.

more currently, sorta the same thing seen every time there's a police shooting where the police hold an internal review to rubber-stamp absolve their own of any wrongdoing and welp justice has been done, we sent the case through all the proper channels, that's the way the cookie crumbles :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

December Octopodes posted:

She will probably do a full heel turn at some point, and there will be flirtation with a face turn deeper down the line.

she'll have to go back and find her face first