Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

idonotlikepeas posted:

"The Glory, The Tower, The Flame, The Diamond, The Blade, The Mind, The Beast".

I wonder who's who, now that we know two of them.

Well, my wild guesses are:
Mammon: The Beast (duh)
Jadis: The Diamond (because she's a paperweight)
Jagganoth: The Tower (he's... tall? I guess?)
Solomon: The Blade (I guess he could also be The Tower, but he seems like a Blade type now that Incubus is known)
Gog-Agog: The Mind (This one just feels right)

Of course, the only one of these I have any strong belief in is that Mammon is The Beast. Jagganoth is a distant second contender, but I really don't think it could be anyone but the Big Old Monster Dragon himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

She definitely did out-drink an Ebon Devil, though. Cio even calls Vladok an ebon while yelling at Allison.
And she didn't do this with any magical help other than her key, because Allison wasted that doll spell.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

because she is the only drunk female character

Also when Cio and 82 explain history, there's a demiurge involved in the Second Conquest who looks a hell of a lot like a younger Maya
and Meti, who trained her, was in the Middle Army
and Maya's childhood was back when the Red City was open and the society of demiurges existed
and we know Maya was once the conqueror of 20,000 worlds

All in all there's been plenty of speculation that she was a demiurge, so this isn't a hugely shocking discovery.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

In terms of video games, multiple direct references to Dark Souls spinoff and werewolf murder simulator Bloodborne are in the comic's text and author commentary, so we at least know what Operant was playing while writing it.*
It's a lot of fun! Also a borderline hallucinatory nightmare blood kaleidoscope during its best moments. A bit more Gothic than K6BD has been so far.
*2 Michael quotes a particularly zealous religious fanatic from a Bloodborne faction, Incubus' lair being alt-text described as 'Hypogean' and also looking like a Bloodborne level generally, and I think there's something I'm forgetting as well.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

JT Jag posted:

Humans are the only creatures in Yis-Un's multiverse with true free will. Angels, devils and servants are all bound by their inherent natures, to varying degrees. It's why humanity is so dangerous and why Angels hate them so much.

I think that's a little extreme- humans are just purposeless and die naturally, so the degree of Want and therefore burning will is incredibly high. Angels, Devils, and Servants all have natural paths in life - angels get older and bigger and guard the law, Devils get older and bigger and seek a black name, servants get older and probably own a noodle store, servants kinda got shafted.

Humans just die.
It means we have to make up what matters to us ourselves, and can't ever stop going for it if we want it. And a few humans /really/ want it. It's not about free will, it's about the lash of existential dread and the radical freedom to say 'yeah, my purpose is to be the loving best at Cutting' or whatever else.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I actually really wish Abaddon would put the inked lines up somewhere, rather than just me having a bunch of preview comic pages in my inbox, because it's a really fun, gone-full-shonen-manga look (though not as good as the complete version).

That being said, humanity needs the colored version of this insanity right the hells now.
:woop: :kingsley: :woop:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

AriadneThread posted:

do you have an lcd screen? try tilting it

AFTER FOLLOWING YOUR ADVICE

I HAVE SOME REGRETS

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

White Coke posted:

I thought they were just eating them.

porque no los dos

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also I'm not sure if the devil motto is supposed to be Neverending Story reference but I'll be disappointed if this never comes up

Pretty sure it's closer to Crowley, 'and do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.'

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Since I seem to recall you saying Nyave (who is perfect) was a relatively late addition to the cast, does that mean she will be a relatively minor figure in the narrative? I ask because Idealistic Vizier Girl is perfect.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Allison is also (possibly 'until recently') constantly terrified and trying to ride through that terror. A lot of her worst decisions come from her going 'I'm going to do something and not be jerked around' and also being in fight-or-flight mode, constantly.

Also Nyave is not an assassin, Nyave is perfect and good. This is why Nyave will never attain Royalty.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I put my vote in for Patram Sword Hand, who needs hands when you can have swords, who needs swords when you can have hands.

Also, is it just me or are the Throne glyphs in White Chain's speech bubble less weird and more kanji-adjacent than previous glyphs? It might just be a stylistic nod to wuxia.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I hope Nyave intervenes. Ideally without dying horribly.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Pureauthor posted:

Great as the scene is, I can't see the last three panels as anything but Nyave telling White Chain to make herself useful and carry the bags.

The (dress?) she thought would look good on White Chain is in the bag so it's more "I got this for you, you jerk, now appreciate it and stop murdering"
Nyave is perfect

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't think that other angel is stupid enough to try something on her again. It was soundly outclassed, and I don't think angels are especially susceptible to back attacks.

I think that other angel is going to wake up tomorrow with a splitting headache, at best.
Burning Finger is, based on the K6BD RPG, the Aeon equivalent of a five-finger exploding heart punch. They're not getting up in a hurry.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

That's cool that the RPG is informing something happening in comic, now I want to check it out

To be fair I think it's more that Operant wanted there to be a Burning Finger technique for punishing lawbreakers, and also put it into the Law playbook in the RPG. But, they are being developed in parallel.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure that's Allison's Will to Power.
And our viewpoint Allison is her conscience or sense of proportion.

Also, Incubus just looks so frustrated that he's having to be her phone help line for her internal crises. I do like that #1 God mug, though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

If everybody has multiple competing impulses controlling their actions, Incubus locking out all of them except the narrow fragment that does exactly what he wants doesn't leave them in control.

I see no evidence he's 'locked them out' though. He delivered exactly what he promised: the part of her that hesitates and thinks 'no this is wrong' put in the backseat. I don't see why people are trying to make Incubus dishonest; this is exactly what Allison wanted. Just, she really shouldn't have wanted it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

NachtSieger posted:

i still want allison to murder the poo poo out of incubus, is that so wrong? :shobon:

Nah that sounds great, just, not yet, he's good evil mentor/final boss material.

Also, 'enabler' is the perfect word for Incubus.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yesh posted:

Ambition Allison is wearing Incubus' earrings and has his black fingernails, while also having his black lips, red eyes, and white hair. Incubus broke her personality into pieces, corrupted her ambition and can likely juice it up with his power when he wants.

Incubus probably doomed himself when he both underestimated Allison's furious neuroticism and forced her to introspect and face her demons (they're gonna beat him up).

I'm starting to get really frustrated with this level of analysis. Like, you are outright ignoring textual evidence that's been brought forward by multiple people at this point.

She literally asked him to make her like him. He literally offered to put a piece of himself into her, IN THOSE WORDS, to empower her ambition. This is not a trick or a lie, this is exactly what she asked for.
She makes incredibly bad decisions. Incubus enabled them.
That's the whole point of this revelation and framing: that she did this, that what looked like Allison being possessed is her being self-possessed. And the moral part of her sees it the way we do.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I suspect they're more complete executive personalities- they're also the most human-looking, rather than colored monomaniacal figment, ones.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

I wanna see Abbadon draw Hellboy.

It's blasphemy but I kind of want that too.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

thatbastardken posted:

the lesson would probably be a .45 slug to the brain and a brand from the lobsters claw

lobster johnson got no time for petty tyrants

I dunno, Allison's no Nazi.
Or mummy luchadore, the primary opponent of the other Lobster Johnson.

I think she and HB would at least go drinking together, given how they both ended up with the singular artifact of a divine power stuck to them, highly questionable destinies, a crown of fire, and a drinking problem.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Cio's definitely getting hornier as well.

She has six of them now! :rimshot:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Phy posted:

And preserved in religious texts like the KJV bible.

I wonder if that was done to present God's words to people as being personal and familiar?

No, it's because the monarch always addressed their subjects as 'thou' - less as familiarity and more as a way of asserting hierarchy. The monarch has no need to formally address anyone.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

We know Mammon's 'a real monster' and he's a dragon, so, I suspect he's huge and likes swimming in his infinite hoard like Scrooge McDuck, and the Priests of the Count serve him and administer his holdings. Possibly he just doesn't care about anything but his big gold pile and they take him as a cautionary tale god.

The line about 'creatures who have purged all love' makes it sound like the priests have emotions and feelings about things other than money, and they think anyone breaking in is awful because they must have fed T H E D O O R.

Edit: "“IA! IA! The Dragon!

His scales as as hard as his heart.

Pity him!”

– Lament of the Priests of the Count"

So yeah Mammon's cult has learned that the only money worth having... is love.
But they still work for Capitalism God Dragon.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 12, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I'm the green devil Charon with his tongue just flopping all over.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I could see the comic jumping back to White Chain here as a narrative device, but even then it's more likely than not the fight will be in full swing still.

Yeah misread that. I figured there'd have to be a twist because Alison would not be cool with it... but I totally missed what the twist would be.

Honestly I'd like this just to build up the anticip

Action.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Doctor Doom has stated that he refuses to use the door, like a peasant, when he can easily burst through the wall.
He's a pretty good example of almost-Royalty, actually, like the demiurges or Namor.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tendales posted:

That's also pretty Royalty, tbh

See we don't have any evidence of Zoss doing that poo poo. But, doing that poo poo is much more enjoyable than not, so I'm glad the demiurge are approximately as bad at Royalty as Doom.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

stone cold posted:

nyave is the most royal of all you fools

Nyave is perfect and a good person, and therefore can never be Royalty.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nyave exists to get killed when Allison needs a "tragic loss" character beat or to be reminded of her humanity, HTH.

You have a really low opinion of Operant's writing skills, don't you?

EDIT: Also, what character development did Felicia even have, besides 'happy go lucky' and 'nice to Allison one time in the specific arc where Allison is convinced she needs to be a monster after literally the least subtle possible foreshadowing that Lucky Felicia was going to be terminally Unlucky'? I love this comic to death but it's not one to pull out curveballs particularly, and it doesn't need to. I wouldn't particularly want it to! No obnoxious smash-cut to something other than an awesome fight after this set-up, no sparing Felicia when it's all but explicit she's going to die a bad death, no pretending Maya isn't death on two legs from the first scene we see her.
Operant doesn't need bad twists to make this story surprising.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 21, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

stone cold posted:

people who think nyave is boring are worse than oskar, certified Bad Man

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Nyave and White Chain have chemistry, and moreover Nyave can really inform White Chain's struggle with law and idealism. As already seen.
It wasn't a great first date, though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The alt-text for her recent introductory page was "000001" so, draw your own conclusions (and choke the hallways with your flesh!).

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

pokemon posted:

even diaz is getting in on it, his latest update was basically k6bd and hellboy mashed brutally together with his characters' names written on the resulting mince in sharpie. most of his pages are like that, basically it's just the last two or three things he read and liked regurgitated as a semi-digested syrup for his audience, as a mother bird does for her child

Well I went and read it and my god did it make me appreciate both Mignola and K6BD all the more. K6BD has its own real style, and the impressionistic coloring (it's a little loose but extremely evocative) makes the whole thing feel organic, aggressive, multitudinous.

Of Mignola I suspect little needs to be said, he's a master.

Then there's this, by Diaz. First, he's aping Mignola's style halfway competently but he doesn't understand what it's good for at all and it ends up looking more like Darkest Dungeon than Hellboy. He's trying to play on the Dying Earth, Hellboy, and Dark Souls all at once, but he doesn't capture any of them while at the same time not putting the print of new ideas on an of them due to the multiple mash-up. The whole point of it is supposed to be 'my work is derivative but nobody is perfectly original!' But it comes across flat because he has nothing original to say within the replicated styles. Hellboy is mostly composed of reconstructed pulp and mythology and is also startlingly original in character and overall sweep; K6BD is its own hallucinogenic new thing, the Dying Earth genre itself played host to the masterpiece Book of the New Sun (which was also a knowing reiteration of the genre).

Dark Souls is inventive too I guess. It certainly has better character designs than that D&D-standard tiefling.

Diaz is arguing for a decent point but his argumentative structure, the comic itself, does not defend his position.

I don't know why this has me so heated up, but it really does. I'm going to go calm down by reading Hellboy in Hell.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 4, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

More importantly, Allison's full-on swinging that zweihander, not using it as a polearm - how in the hell is she swinging it in a corridor that thin?
I mean it's probably Royalty but then there should be bigger gouges in the stone.

Also, Cio and Allison are busy playing Horrible Will To Power Atrocities Chicken, so I'm not surprised that it took her a while to notice that Allison has gone off the deep end. I'm not sure if it's going to be Incubus-Allison or Yabalchoath that makes the other one snap out of it first, which is what I assume is going to happen.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tarezax posted:

I admire your dedication

I think he spent his entire suspension making this, it's the only explanation.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I'm pretty sure Mammon, aka the Dragon, is literally a giant monster hoarding endless piles of money. Who lives at the bottom of a trap-filled super dungeon.

So it's no surprise that a highly motivated, absolutely psychotic band of murderhobos are precisely the kind of thing that would penetrate deep into his vaults in search of loot and power/EXP.

Also he's probably just Scrooge McDucking his way around the vault 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Personally, I've always thought that there is a compelling argument that someone who gets Phineas Gage'd really is no longer the same person they were before the organ moderating their memories, personality, and interactions with the world got violently and permanently re-wired. I think that's what is happening with Cio: she really isn't Yab, but because she inhabits the same body and the same node in her social networks, people treat her as a continuation of Yab.

You say this as if someone who doesn't suffer a traumatic injury never undergoes meaningful change. After all, there's still continuity in each case. One is just more abrupt.
Cio's self-conception, physical form, and memories are all continuations of Yabalchoath; to say they are not at all the same person both disbelieves Cio's own account of herself and the general account of continuity that people recognize around her.