Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now who wants to explain C0DA bags not it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone in the elder scrolls universe who's told that they're just a dream won't just zero-sum. You do it by viewing and comprehending the tower, which is the universe, and how irrelevant you are in it, and as part of that you comprehend your non-existence. It's basically getting hit with the total perspective vortex but instead of showing how tiny you are it shows you how tiny you are and also that even your tininess is nothing and everything you care about is nothing and everything you know exists is nothing. That obliterates your sense of self to the degree that it no longer exists, and because of that and the nature of the world as a fiction, you no longer exist. If you can look at that and go 'gently caress you I exist' you achieve CHIM and are no longer bound by the laws and limits of the world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the neat bits I liked in c0da was when they're looking upon the destroyed remains of Nirn (the planet from Elder Scrolls, it got destroyed by the time of the story and the characters are refugees living on one of its moons) and it's a big planet with enormous gaps underneath which you can see continent-size clockwork, because it's not reality a planet per se and beneath its metaphorical surface are the cosmological mechanisms of its existence and the closest thing a mortal mind can comprehend that as is machinery so that's what it is to them.

(Not just that that's what mortals see it as. That's what it is to a mortal, what would be physically there to touch, huge wheels and gears powering it's existence, because that's the only framework they can fit it into and the world is nothing but what is perceived. Elder scrolls is big on dispensing with the line between metaphor and reality)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 2, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's possible that saying 'lol I don't care' to a powerful enough degree that you can survive the realisation is an act of will strong enough that it isn't meaningfully different from saying 'gently caress you I still exist anyway'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wiegieman posted:

No one has ever ceased to exist because they became convinced they weren't real.

That's just called being mentally ill.

In Elder Scrolls the stars and sun are holes poked in the edge of the universe through which magic shines

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you zero sum in Elder Scrolls you don't just vanish, you get retconned out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/ZadgUxA.mp4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Youremother posted:

This is what makes the dwemer so scary, by the way. They're atheists in a universe where the gods factually exist as much as you or me. When confronted with the fact that reality is a dream, they didn't ask "how do we achieve this enlightened state?" They asked "how do we wake the big guy up?"

And now they're nobody's problem.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whirling posted:

The same source points to the Adamantine Tower being what sealed the deal on the creation of Mundus and Red Mountain allowing Mundus to "exist without the full presence of the divine". However, the fact that all other Towers were made after the creation of Mundus doesn't give me the sense that they're necessary for reality's continued existence. All evidence points to each Tower being an attempt by elves to reenact the events leading to the creation of reality for their own ends.

quote:

Though the Ayleids gave theirs a central Spire as the imago of Ada-mantia, the whole of the polydox resembled the Wheel, with eight lesser towers forming a ring around their primus. To dismiss this mythitecture as being a mockery of the Aurbis is to ignore an important point: this same "jest" gave White-Gold Tower a power over creatia unalike any on this plane(t). It was a triumph of sympathetic megafetish, and the Start of the [Threat! To! Empire!] that brings me to this Council.

If the Ayleids made their own Wheel within the Wheel, were-web aad semblio, what would happen if they plucked its strings?

Those can all be reconciled in my mind: the newer towers have, in a way, mantled ada-mantia and, beyond that, the metaphysical concept of The Tower. Becoming representations of the structure of Aubris. So in as a result of that, they've become critical in holding up the universe. In some cases, like White-Gold, this was a deliberate action so that they could then be used to manipulate or damage it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 10, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

girl dick energy posted:

Curious if Allison is going to realize that the reversal of roles means Zaid's lined up to die in the third act to motivate her.

No, she got her own girl who died in the third act.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Gog is actively imitating things she knows Allison's culturally familiar with because she's been to her Earth (usually as it gets destroyed) many, many times over the loops. And all the other universes, opened in this one or not.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Is it just me or Gog is much better "morphed" into a human right now?

Like previously all her features were far more exaggerated, even in breaker of infinities. Here she is looking much more like Allison. Reminds me of Delirium's "I can do it like you but I just don't want to" talk with Destiny from Sandman.

It's pretty clear this is a level of focus we've never seen from Gog before, as evidenced by her speech font.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Gog ever tried to deal with the loops themselves, how far she got. If she ever had chats with Zoss or Metatron.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She should know what people in this turn know about it, though. Or at least what they've expressed about it. She's seen this conversation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also laughing at the idea that The Mass is trying to fix anything. Gog-Agog gave up on saving the world long, long ago, or she wouldn’t be a clown hive that eats people. Or possibly she could never save the world, because she’s a clown hive that eats people.

Oh yeah she would've given up long ago, but I'm wondering if, early on, back before she descended into full joker-brand nihilism, she might have tried to stop the cycles herself. Not even to save the world, just to save herself. And I'm wondering what she might have found out during that.

As for now, yeah, all that's happening is that Allison is one of the more interesting variations the cycles have thrown up in a while, so she's engaging with it as a momentary respite from the horrific boredom of it all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 17, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also this comic is literally a Homestuck legacy. (It started as a CYOA on the Homestuck forums.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 17, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At this point it seems that it's more like Jadis's priesthood is doing the demiurginging and ruling of worlds. She's the former bearer of the word, after all.

Do we know what the timeline was with Jadis seeing the shape vs the pact of the seven part world? It seems as though that would have required more agency than we've seen her express, but if the pact came before she must have still brought something pretty drat powerful to the table to be considered.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 18, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'd be less weird if they were square. We've seen narrative thought squares before, although only from Allison.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 24, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really, though, I do think that if it had been presented like this it would've been a little less jarring:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This carries the implication that Gog is narrating, though, which opens up a whole other can of worms. Proverbially speaking.

Gog can narrate one scene, as a treat

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Completely random aside, but I was rereading Story of your Life by Ted Chiang and now I'm wondering if the depiction of Jadis was in any way influenced by it (or even its movie adaptation Arrival, although that doesn't go into what it's like as deeply.)

By the end the main character is in many ways quite like Jadis: it's not universal omniscience, but she has total awareness of all her own conscious experience from when she first learned the Heptapod B language midway through the story, up until her death five decades to come. She describes living her life as like reading out the script, something she could never change. Saying and doing what they know they will without ever breaking.

She mentions that while most of the time she still thinks humanly enough that she has a consciousness set a single moment in time travelling forward, like the rest of us, just with memories going in both directions instead of the one, occasionally she snaps into a fully Heptapod way of thinking and experiences all of her own life history as a simultaneous moment.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 26, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WC's just been caught up in a long-standing grudge match between The Fish and Solomon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

White Chain has learned the most important lesson from Solomon now that he can't anymore: That Rizz.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They just Ki Rata all the toxins in the fish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

What the hell is an Ivory Devil.

Something New.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Reclaimer posted:

Yabalchoath had hooves like that

Yeah, her overall features/shape are clearly Yabalchoath-based.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

(except I guess that was Cio's second home built in the skull of a dead god oh well)

Well, she didn't live in the first one, she had her own little balloon next to it where she could be separate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

wasnt that just her office

Maybe? I kinda got the impression looking back that it was her refuge as well, that she'd used it to sequester herself away from Hell 71 and Praman Nand.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 27, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like Operant really likes things ripping apart to reveal something and then viscera going plp plp plp

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

The only part I have a little bit of trouble with is the whole hierarchy of demons (like, I thought Cio was just gone forever after Incubus wrecked the mask)

What's currently happening is outside of the way devils should work that we know if. What's left of Cio is overpowering the rules through sheer will.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing is, masks and the hierarchy are something humans came up with to control devils, but so is the entire idea of devils having a human-like conscious continuous identity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I say Yabble-koath. I guess I'm the only one who read it as a hard C?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 29, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still have no idea how you get 'A' sounds out of the end of the words Ciocie Cioelle but maybe it's a language/pronunciation group I'm not familiar with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

E can be a long A in uses in English but not as an -ie or -lle.

It being a Spanish thing would explain it, I've run into confusion before because Americans are used to Spanish pronunciations and I'm not as an Aussie where it's not a particularly common language to encounter.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 29, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

One of them's got to have the key

The key is a metaphysical thing. If it's anywhere it's in their atum, which is spread through all of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Who cares if they beat Jagganoth? That's not good enough. Remember, in the earliest cycles Gog flat out won; it just didn't matter.

It's not about defeating jagganoth, he's just a hurdle on the way. Zoss is hunting for a stable long-term future for the world. Gog winning is a horrible state.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yes! The dog does die in Kill Six Billion Demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Gog Agog simply hands New Coke another worm, being trillions of them to start with