Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Werong Bustope posted:

He's talked about doing something like this in the past but never went through with it. He's not come out and said as much, but I think he doesn't really want to know. He has talked about how, as a kid, he would imagine his father as a member of the aristocracy or a GI or something similarly glamourous* but in his heart he always assumed it was just some Glaswegian docker like everyone else he's related to.

I've considered doing it myself but I haven't out of respect for his feelings. Also, I expect the results will come back as "you are related to every Ashkenazi Jew ever, congrats."

*An American GI was pretty glamourous to a kid who was born in 1943 and grew up playing on bomb sites.

Ah yeah, if he's Ashkenazi, that will make things less clear; you are all pretty much related to each other in 5 different ways, so detangling Ashkenazi DNA connections is much harder. Though if any very close relatives had also tested (1st cousins or closer) from that side, you'd still have an answer. Though you would at least be able to tell if his bio father is Ashkenazi as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotSockAccount
Nov 18, 2015

by Lowtax
My family's most shocking Skeleton Reveal was the part where they hid my dead body in front yard.They just left me there in plain broad daylight, that's a great hiding spot.

P.S. I died while writing this message.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

rakovsky maybe posted:

As the story goes my Sicilian great-grandfather and great-grandmother were in love but their families wouldn't allow them to get married. So one night my great-grandfather captured my great-grandmother and hid her in the roof of a barn. All night her brothers searched for her but they couldn't find her. When the morning came he let her go, but since she had spent the night with a man she had to marry him.

I've always just assumed this is the family-friendly version and my great-grandfather was a kidnapper and possible rapist.

Well, it may be that or it may be not... that phenomenon is, was, called "fuitina" (little escape), and basically in the early 20th century rural Sicily it was the only way two lovers who wanted to marry could override their families wishes: they eloped, spent a night and then went home.

If you dishonored a young woman her father and his brothers would have to choose between: letting you marry the girl or instead kill you with the murder basically going unpunished (killing for the family honour was considered a petty crime until 1981) keep your bastard son around and keep the daughter at home unmarried.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 20, 2015

• Locked thread