Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This E/N thread about a mysterious 19-year-old letter carrying a deep family secret
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744453&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

has me wondering: Have you ever received a bombshell about something that happened in your family's past? Or maybe they built up that there was a big dark secret and it turned out to be nothing, or something an older generation freaks out about but modern people don't?

For me, it's kind of tame, but my father revealed that he had had a gay lover for ten years before he met and married my mom. It wasn't shocking for the usual reasons, the reason why it freaked me out was because he supposedly discovered he was gay while married to my mom and that was why he left. Now I know that it had to be for another reason, my wife and I suspect he just wanted to ghost on raising me (I was a difficult baby).

TL:DR: Dad still gay, so... WHAT?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a few months ago my dad told me that i was almost aborted because my parents didn't think they were financially ready for a kid. they went to the clinic but it closed 10 minutes before they arrived. the day after my dad got promoted and so yeah, here i am.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

symbolic posted:

a few months ago my dad told me that i was almost aborted because my parents didn't think they were financially ready for a kid. they went to the clinic but it closed 10 minutes before they arrived. the day after my dad got promoted and so yeah, here i am.

You're lucky, my parents got there in time and I was never born.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
my dad is gay, but its not a big deal

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I'm the skeleton. They haven't revealed me.

yet

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
came here expecting literal skeletons

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Drunk Nerds posted:

This E/N thread about a mysterious 19-year-old letter carrying a deep family secret
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744453&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

has me wondering: Have you ever received a bombshell about something that happened in your family's past? Or maybe they built up that there was a big dark secret and it turned out to be nothing, or something an older generation freaks out about but modern people don't?

For me, it's kind of tame, but my father revealed that he had had a gay lover for ten years before he met and married my mom. It wasn't shocking for the usual reasons, the reason why it freaked me out was because he supposedly discovered he was gay while married to my mom and that was why he left. Now I know that it had to be for another reason, my wife and I suspect he just wanted to ghost on raising me (I was a difficult baby).

that post u linked had lots of words and exclamation points

also u turned ur dad gay lol

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

So he had a gay lover, then met and married your mom, but discovered he was gay while married to your mom?

That must have been an awkward 10 years of gay sex.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dave_Indeed posted:

So he had a gay lover, then met and married your mom, but discovered he was gay while married to your mom?

lol good catch

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
no my family is boring as gently caress

well i mean both of my parents were previously married (dad twice, mom once) but nothing juicy there

one time my mom and her ex-husband went out to a really expensive dinner and he ordered filet mignon, sent it back for being "undercooked" and then asked for ketchup to put on it

also my dad was in the vietnam war but he never talked about it

that's about all

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Both my parents are Nazis.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My family sells dead baby dicks at Planned Parenthood. It's an old-fashioned family business.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

chest of nazi gold

no but seriously there was some family members who left germany right around the beginning of ww2 and brought with them a chest, no one knows what happened to it

the chest was described as being "full of gold"

hm.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
standard "i have a mentally handicapped sister i never told you about" early 20th C. fare

thanks grandma :rolleyes:

also some friend-of-the-family sexual abuse stuff that ruined my uncle emotionally

welp thanks

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Once in college my dad smoked weed

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Dave_Indeed posted:

Put discovered in quotes and you've got it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Once in college my dad smoked weed
same, except he said he hated it

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
The woman I thought was my mother was my grandmother and the woman I thought was my sister was my great-grandmother.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Joust posted:

The woman I thought was my mother was my grandmother and the woman I thought was my sister was my great-grandmother.

it's me, I'm your daddy

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
my dad did my mom

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

jackyl posted:

it's me, I'm your daddy

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
no theres some pretty hosed up stuff but they mostly didnt bother to try and hide it

eg my alcoholic aunt got pregnant at 17 married three different people including at least one heroin addict and im fairly sure a child molester

but shes dead now though

or maybe there are worse things i dont know about :iiam:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
it turns out i'm 1/16 Cherokee. it came as quite a shock when i found out. i had to struggle with a lot of very difficult questions about my racial identity, like whether or not i should continue to identify myself as a "white man"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tbh its probably the second option actually i vaguely recall some story about my dead alcoholic (bit of a theme here) great uncle intimidating his wife with a shotgun but im hazy on the details

he also had some maine coons and a fallout shelter

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I found out that I have a ridiculous amount of family members through my dad that I will probably never know outside of Facebook. Conservative estimates put the number at 65, the high estimate is 95. They're scattered all over the world, but about 40 of them are half-siblings of my father and his sister through their father.

I kind of hate that side of the family but I'm curious about them.

Also that grandfather was a rapist, pedophile, and possible murderer. But on the plus side that side of the family owns a fruit company that sells throughout the US. You've probably seen my family name in the supermarket produce section lately.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

gamingCaffeinator posted:

You've probably seen my family name in the supermarket produce section lately.

janitors have name tags?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
We owned a LOT of slaves,. On our tobacco plantation. Which is shocking, I know.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im my own grandpa

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I've never been told this, so all of my reasoning is purely speculative, but I think my mom had an abortion at some point, probably before I was born.

My parents were in their early 30s when they had me and my mom absolutely shuts down and becomes incredibly stressed whenever the topic of abortion comes up. Once, when I was very little, I read an anti-abortion bumper sticker in a parking lot aloud, having no idea what it actually meant, and my mom got really upset. That night, my dad told me to never talk to her about abortion ever again. Other incidents like this popped up throughout my childhood and adolescence. Despite my mom never actually coming out and condemning abortion despite being a Southern Baptist, it's a subject she clearly doesn't want to talk about for personal reasons.

It wouldn't devastate me or anything if it turned out that I'm right (I'm 99% certain that I am), but I've assumed that to be the family secret since I started putting the pieces together about 15 years ago.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Time_pants posted:

I've never been told this, so all of my reasoning is purely speculative, but I think my mom had an abortion at some point, probably before I was born.

My parents were in their early 30s when they had me and my mom absolutely shuts down and becomes incredibly stressed whenever the topic of abortion comes up. Once, when I was very little, I read an anti-abortion bumper sticker in a parking lot aloud, having no idea what it actually meant, and my mom got really upset. That night, my dad told me to never talk to her about abortion ever again. Other incidents like this popped up throughout my childhood and adolescence. Despite my mom never actually coming out and condemning abortion despite being a Southern Baptist, it's a subject she clearly doesn't want to talk about for personal reasons.

It wouldn't devastate me or anything if it turned out that I'm right (I'm 99% certain that I am), but I've assumed that to be the family secret since I started putting the pieces together about 15 years ago.

have you ever considered that maybe she didn't abort you because of her beliefs and that is what causes her and your dad pain?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

jackyl posted:

have you ever considered that maybe she didn't abort you because of her beliefs and that is what causes her and your dad pain?

That's the part of my theory I didn't mention, but yes.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
well you weren't supposed to take it that well but ok

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
My grandfather dosed himself with poison and wrapped himself around a tree in a car in an effort to make sure he was extra dead from his suicide.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Time_pants posted:

This seems like not something to angst over for decades.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Time_pants posted:

Ehhh you probably don't want to delve into this.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

oh yeah, my grandfather on my mom's side participated in the air traffic controller strike back in the 80s and was fired by Reagan. he wrote him a letter calling him a "big old political oval office". i think he has a copy framed in his office.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
My mom discovered a few months back that my great great grandfather, back in the 40s, murdered his house maid after she told him he would have to wait for his supper and then proceeded to eat his own bullet. We both had a good laugh about it.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Harald posted:

came here expecting literal skeletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorYesNo
Dec 10, 2006
What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in what?
I recently learned that my Aunt's first husband used to beat her. She told us a story about how she finally had enough of him and called my dad and my uncle to come get her and take her back to my grandparents' place, and when they arrived she lied and told them her husband was away at work when he was really passed out drunk upstairs. I asked my dad what he was going to do if the husband was there, and he just shrugged and said, "I was gonna kill him." I'd normally write that off as hyperbole but this happened in South Florida around 1980 and my family is definitely Florida-crazy so that dude was 100% almost gator food.
Hearing my dad casually talk about the time he almost murdered a guy was pretty jarring, though.

• Locked thread