Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Drunk Nerds posted:

This E/N thread about a mysterious 19-year-old letter carrying a deep family secret
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744453&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

has me wondering: Have you ever received a bombshell about something that happened in your family's past? Or maybe they built up that there was a big dark secret and it turned out to be nothing, or something an older generation freaks out about but modern people don't?

For me, it's kind of tame, but my father revealed that he had had a gay lover for ten years before he met and married my mom. It wasn't shocking for the usual reasons, the reason why it freaked me out was because he supposedly discovered he was gay while married to my mom and that was why he left. Now I know that it had to be for another reason, my wife and I suspect he just wanted to ghost on raising me (I was a difficult baby).

TL:DR: Dad still gay, so... WHAT?!

that post u linked had lots of words and exclamation points

also u turned ur dad gay lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dave_Indeed posted:

So he had a gay lover, then met and married your mom, but discovered he was gay while married to your mom?

That must have been an awkward 10 years of gay sex.

lol good catch

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Joust posted:

The woman I thought was my mother was my grandmother and the woman I thought was my sister was my great-grandmother.

it's me, I'm your daddy

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

gamingCaffeinator posted:

You've probably seen my family name in the supermarket produce section lately.

janitors have name tags?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Time_pants posted:

I've never been told this, so all of my reasoning is purely speculative, but I think my mom had an abortion at some point, probably before I was born.

My parents were in their early 30s when they had me and my mom absolutely shuts down and becomes incredibly stressed whenever the topic of abortion comes up. Once, when I was very little, I read an anti-abortion bumper sticker in a parking lot aloud, having no idea what it actually meant, and my mom got really upset. That night, my dad told me to never talk to her about abortion ever again. Other incidents like this popped up throughout my childhood and adolescence. Despite my mom never actually coming out and condemning abortion despite being a Southern Baptist, it's a subject she clearly doesn't want to talk about for personal reasons.

It wouldn't devastate me or anything if it turned out that I'm right (I'm 99% certain that I am), but I've assumed that to be the family secret since I started putting the pieces together about 15 years ago.

have you ever considered that maybe she didn't abort you because of her beliefs and that is what causes her and your dad pain?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
well you weren't supposed to take it that well but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Robo Reagan posted:

you sure he wasn't some nobody PFC that worked on engines because this story and pretty much every other military story from WW2 is a few sentences short of someone claiming to have kicked hitler in his one ball

my grandfather was a bombardier in b 17s and gave me a typewritten copy of his bombing runs once, which was cool

he also said regulations expressly forbade bombardiers from sitting in that glass bubble at take off and landing but he did it all the time because it was fun

:rip: him

• Locked thread