Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I have a half-brother I've never met who my dad had when he was a dumb 18 year old (which my dad found out about decades after the fact), so said half-brother is uhhh around twenty years older than me. I found out in eighth grade, and last I knew my dad had broken off contact with him a couple years ago because he kept asking for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another one I thought of was that I'm fairly sure judging from what he's divulged to me and information I've gleaned from his old squad/unit/whatever-mates that my dad was involved with Air America or something similar in Vietnam and Laos, flying helicopters that were involved with less-savory aspects of the US in SE Asia at the time. He's mentioned rescue missions but he's also kind of said things in passing that made me think there might have been some shadier poo poo. He's agreed finally to let me do a lot of interviews in the hopes of recording his experience so I'll be curious to see what may or may not come out.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

My mother`s father was a pretty good and decent man. His only sin was getting my mother`s mother pregant out of wedlock. But his uncle worked with the Nazi`s and got a lot of loot from them. He even got a apartment formerly owned by a Jewish Family. He and his wife served time in jail after the war for treason. Funny enough his brother was the complete opposite and joined the resistance precisly because he as a police officers did not want to deport Jews.
People with stories in their family like this, get them recorded in some form or another before it's too late :smith: It's so loving important to have these both for family history and just general history but so many families (at least in the US) don't give a poo poo. Reading the autobiography my maternal granddad did and finding out he was involved in the really nasty union vs. scabs/Pinkerton wars on the union side was really a new look at the man I knew him as.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Well, apparently, there were letters from about a certain time to my grandfather's grandmother that called into question the paternity of my grandfather's father. If it sounds like that episode of Black Adder, it is pretty much the same plot. However, instead of Edmund blustering into the throne room to dramatically recite the damning evidence of his mother's infidelity, my grandmother (in her 60s at this time; this was about 30 years ago) burst into the room, where a family dinner was ongoing, clutching a crumpled, decades-old piece of personal correspondence, and shouted at my grandfather:" You're not who I married! Your grandmother was a whore and instead of marrying a [my family's name, redacted] I married the son of a bastard Dufresne! You're nothing but the grandson of a scoundrel beaver-bagger!" [apparently this "Dufresne" character was a trapper.]
And I thought the family reunion where my uncle kept sneaking out to shoot up was dramatic :allears: Holy poo poo.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

Read this as if he was frantically spinning his brother around, hitting the Mexican guys. Don't tell me I'm wrong.
Well that sent that from "huh, okay" to magical.

• Locked thread