Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
doing some genealogy, found the boat ticket for my ancestor coming to America, with his 12 year old bride. My mom casually told me about a relative killing another relative 2 days ago. Our closet is a walk in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my grandfather and grandmother lies about our nationality, I only found out doing genealogy. I had heard a rumor once but thought it was stupid.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Steak posted:

the entirety of my dad's side of my family is voting trump

i bet you wish they would keep it secret.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moldy Taxes posted:

My mom's the biggest gossip on her side of the family, and every time I go to visit my parents she always tells me the hottest info on whatever new poo poo's going on in this huge (100+) Hispanic family. She always prefaces it with "just in case anybody asks you about it...", but I know she just wants to tell someone who doesn't know what's going on yet.

The latest bit is my aunt, her Jamaican husband, and their two daughters. The older one has a severe mental disability that keeps her at home as she's pushing 40, and the other's pretty normal. She got married to a Japanese dude a few years back and they seemed pretty happy together. One day they're talking about kids and the husband said he didn't want any, because apparently he was afraid they'd end up dark skinned like my uncle. I figured racism like that is one of the checks you do before you get married to someone, but I guess it slipped her mind because how could an Asian dude be racist?

Anyway they end up filing for divorce due to this and other complications, and my cousin goes to her mother to talk things out about the divorce. Apparently when they got to the fear of darkie babies, my aunt tried to console my cousin by saying she has nothing to worry about, because my uncle isn't her real father. When it came time for a second child, my aunt was afraid of having two disabled children weighing them down, so she secretly hosed another dude and just never told my uncle.

I wish I could gossip with your mom every week, this really is the best in the thread. Are your aunt and uncle still together?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rakovsky maybe posted:

As the story goes my Sicilian great-grandfather and great-grandmother were in love but their families wouldn't allow them to get married. So one night my great-grandfather captured my great-grandmother and hid her in the roof of a barn. All night her brothers searched for her but they couldn't find her. When the morning came he let her go, but since she had spent the night with a man she had to marry him.

I've always just assumed this is the family-friendly version and my great-grandfather was a kidnapper and possible rapist.

more likely she came up pregnant

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

deep impact on vhs posted:

somewhat related, anyone have good luck with those ancestry sites? kinda interested in finding out more about my family

genealogy is awesome. :getin:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

I had a lot of success with 23andme.com. The genetic test was really helpful in at least finding out my genetic make up and thus some ancestry since I didn't know my Bio dad.

P cool.

did you find any genetic matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mnemosyne posted:

Additionally, once the aforementioned great-great-grandfather brought my great-grandmother and his other kids to America, he he sent my 12-year-old great-grandmother to live in a stranger's home and be their live-in maid. I'm pretty sure he probably collected her earnings from that too.

it sounds brutal, but it wasn't uncommon for the time. My great grandma went so far as to tattoo my grandma so she could prove she was hers at the end of the winter season. That wasn't a secret though,no one liked the great grandma.

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 12, 2015

• Locked thread