Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moldy Taxes posted:

My mom's the biggest gossip on her side of the family, and every time I go to visit my parents she always tells me the hottest info on whatever new poo poo's going on in this huge (100+) Hispanic family. She always prefaces it with "just in case anybody asks you about it...", but I know she just wants to tell someone who doesn't know what's going on yet.

The latest bit is my aunt, her Jamaican husband, and their two daughters. The older one has a severe mental disability that keeps her at home as she's pushing 40, and the other's pretty normal. She got married to a Japanese dude a few years back and they seemed pretty happy together. One day they're talking about kids and the husband said he didn't want any, because apparently he was afraid they'd end up dark skinned like my uncle. I figured racism like that is one of the checks you do before you get married to someone, but I guess it slipped her mind because how could an Asian dude be racist?

Anyway they end up filing for divorce due to this and other complications, and my cousin goes to her mother to talk things out about the divorce. Apparently when they got to the fear of darkie babies, my aunt tried to console my cousin by saying she has nothing to worry about, because my uncle isn't her real father. When it came time for a second child, my aunt was afraid of having two disabled children weighing them down, so she secretly hosed another dude and just never told my uncle.

Just went to another level right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had a lot of success with 23andme.com. The genetic test was really helpful in at least finding out my genetic make up and thus some ancestry since I didn't know my Bio dad.

P cool.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ChairmanMeow posted:

did you find any genetic matches?

A few dozen 3rd and 4th cousins. A few 2nd. It's really interesting to see the haplogroups. For example I'm of the basque and west African groups and somehow got the best of both worlds genetically. I'd encourage anyone interested in this stuff to do it

• Locked thread