Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Not really a skeleton but my Great Grandad was a commando in WW2 (UK Goon here :britain: ) and was reluctant to talk about his time in the war. He had a biscuit tin full of medals and a cache of war letters and a diary that my uncle sold to a museum when I was a kid: I didn't get to see any of it :argh:

The stuff they did find out that he did mention was essentially that the day before Operation Market Garden he burst his ear drum which ruled him out of the jump, and probably saved the lives of him and all his future progeny.

Also his unit was dropped in ahead of Operation Overlord (D Day) early to covertly soften up Nazi defences as much as possible, but as the bulk of forces were further north in anticipation of a direct channel crossing some of the 'soldiers' he and his buddies were garrotting were Hitler Youth kids making up the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Molentik posted:

The Hitlerjugend guys in Normandy were actually the the 12th SS Panzer Division, so hardly 14 year old kids running messages or lugging shells for the home defence AAA guns, but fanatical cold rear end motherfuckers.

Be proud of your grandpa!

Thanks guys :)

My dad told me about one of the letters he read before they were sold, where my Great Grandad detailed how he and his brother signed up for the commandos based on the promise of an extra shilling a week but no one told them beforehand they would be jumping out of planes :D

• Locked thread