Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005
My maternal grandfather was a military dog handler. During the 1970s he had five children and then disappeared for a number of years. My grandmother assumed he'd left and began seeing somebody else. One day my grandfather suddenly returned and, seeing a strange man on the sofa, said something like "Who the gently caress are you? I'm back now, get out of my house." and simply moved back in.

He never spoke about it, and nobody knew where he had gone for those four years until his funeral in the early 90's, when in addition to the typical blazer + medals old military buds there was a whole different crew entirely, looking a bit more... irregular, you might say. It came to light he'd spent his time away fighting as a mercenary in the Rhodesian Bush War to uphold white minority rule.

tl;dr my grandpa was a soldier of fortune in an ethnic African civil war and probably set dogs on civilians while wearing khaki shorts and a big hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005

huskarl_marx posted:

this one's probably the most sordid, dog pack attacks are grisly and he probably saw packs tear many people literally to shreds, their organs splayed and supped upon

heap that upon ethnostatist apartheid, a culturally monstrous crime, this takes all the cakes

An extra dimension to this is that back in the UK he was pretty highly regarded in his local community, and by my mother's account he was a strict but decent father... take from that what you will. I never met the guy, he died of cancer before I was born.

However - one of his children (and therefore my aunt) has been disowned by that side of the family, for reasons that I still don't know, so there may be more skeletons to come! Yaaaay.

• Locked thread