Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TLM3101 posted:

Welcome to what is arguably the best story in the game, next to the Imperial Agent. The end of Act one is downright sedate compared to what you've got in store, so strap in and enjoy the ride!

I always thought the inquisitor wasn't a stand out story by itself but stood out because it twists a very old classic into a hilarious place. At least Act 1 anyway.

You're the chosen one by blood (The King) who's a slave (who's a farmhand). You are saved by a Sith Lord (A Wizard) who takes you on a journey to the grand throne world of your people (the kingdom's castle), to gather artefacts while learning your powers (that one's pretty on target!) while working alongside a powerful ally who's actually a monster! (the king's champion with a dark past)

You're the original rags to riches heroic story, completely flipped on its head. Its wonderful. :allears:

Also Lightsided Lady Sith Warrior is one of my fav's for twisting narratives and loving with expectations. Try it if you've yet to!

prefect posted:

The Agent storyline was so good; I just wish I'd been able to finesse it so that I could have been a double-agent. :argh:

I preferred Freedom and being an ally of the empire without interference. Although I really wish "Save Imperial Intelligence" ending had survived from the beta. Ah well, at least SOR let me help shape sith intelligence.

It's still suprising to me how much being a woman with a sniper rifle and a whole pile of toxin's has sunk its claws into me. In a setting with space wizards, I'm making due on skill and crazy preparation alone. It just feels so right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Thyrork posted:

:
Also Lightsided Lady Sith Warrior is one of my fav's for twisting narratives and loving with expectations. Try it if you've yet to!]
I find her voice works better for DS than LS. At any rate, if you're not playing your Inquisitor as a sarcastic rear end in a top hat who zaps everyone, you're kinda doing yourself a disservice. Both the voice actors sell that tone so well.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Thyrork posted:

Also Lightsided Lady Sith Warrior is one of my fav's for twisting narratives and loving with expectations. Try it if you've yet to!

Lightsided Sith Warrior is awesome for blowing Jedi minds. (I was so :3: when the green Jedi from Belsavis sent me an e-mail afterwards talking about how weird it was to work together with me.)

Light or dark, the Sith Inquisitor is such a snarky, sarcastic bastard. It's great. :D (Although Khem loses a point or two of respect for me just about every time I have a conversation. :eng99:)

Thyrork posted:

I preferred Freedom and being an ally of the empire without interference. Although I really wish "Save Imperial Intelligence" ending had survived from the beta. Ah well, at least SOR let me help shape sith intelligence.

It's still suprising to me how much being a woman with a sniper rifle and a whole pile of toxin's has sunk its claws into me. In a setting with space wizards, I'm making due on skill and crazy preparation alone. It just feels so right.

I had never really played a stealth class before, but after being a sneaking, backstabbing Agent for fifty-some levels, I completely understand why so many people enjoy it. Hell, just being able to skip almost every trash mob is so great.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 7, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I recently did sith inquisitor as well. I liked it a lot but I'm curious to see how it goes in kotfe (inquisitor spoilers inbound)

i like that I'm now an all-powerful dark council member but I wish the game would do a little more with that, story-wise. Like, show me a story about what it's like to be a dark council member, leading the empire while also scheming against your counterparts.

I have a hunch that since kotfe, uh, changes the power structure of the universe a little, my council status isn't gonna count for much in the new story content.

At the very least, it would be awesome if I could use that star destroyer as my personal starship. I have a fleet now, let me use it! Show, don't tell :sigh:

I wish that act 2 ended with you taking your seat on the council, and then act 3 was you doing all-powerful council poo poo and commanding fleets and armies and stuff

In conclusion, I rate it 7/10

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Finished chapter 3 Consular... least favorite storyline with just Trooper left. Correlia redeemed it a bit at the very end but still fell flat. So much that could have been done better.

1. The whole bit with Nadia's father. That should have been a big deal. Should have been on par with chapter 1 conclusion of sith warrior. Friend tortured to death, young force sensitive daughter, in position of power over her father's killer. Should have been a big emotional moment and instead it was barely a choice on the conversation wheel.
2. The ship you dealt with before Correlia. WTF was up with that droid. 'Oh, I put bombs in perfect places and I am programmed to go down with the ship but here let me give you plenty of time to get your ships out of range and to disarm most of them.' Storyline has a companion who created a powerful AI that lives inside networks and they couldn't have come up with anything better then a droid pathetically gloating allowing them to escape. Ugh just such bad writing
3. Conclusion of Voss in the airlock. Such an anti-climatic flight. Three normals who died in a single volley of AE right outside your ship which somehow has an army stashed in it's nooks and crevices. Which was the biggest WTF of the story

4. Where the hell are all these people fitting in a ship that isn't even big enough to have it's own kitchen. Do they just sleep in their chairs in the conference room?? Whole thing is just ridiculous. Couldn't have explained it as a flotilla of ships and had them all holo into the conference room for those intercom meetings.

So many examples of lazy writing throughout the story. Give it 1.5 out of 5 pebbles.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

DrunkenGarbageCan, you were looking for the image with the rep items by cartel packs, I don't have it handy since on mobile but if you look in the old thread, I'm the one who posted it last. You should be able to find it.

Medullah posted:

Tor Fashion has a good guide as well on what is available.

Many thanks I remembered it being on TOR Fashion but a lot of the site was giving me 404 errors yesterday and Google completely failed me.

Here's a another quick PvP guide:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rouncer posted:

4. Where the hell are all these people fitting in a ship that isn't even big enough to have it's own kitchen. Do they just sleep in their chairs in the conference room?? Whole thing is just ridiculous. Couldn't have explained it as a flotilla of ships and had them all holo into the conference room for those intercom meetings.

I thought it was pretty cool to be carrying your own weird little United Nations/multispecies A-Team with you, but I had the same question. Maybe your ship had a big U-Haul trailer attached to the back that just didn't get displayed in-game.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
Just to clarify: if I bought the previous Amazon bundle (the Shadow of Revan one) back in May, this new bundle won't do me any good? Thinking about coming back since I just got a new computer that isn't a 2010 MBP so I can crank up the graphics. My agent used to look like a human from a Toy story movie. Not the last one, with all the nice fur textures and poo poo. I mean the first one, the one with the rear end in a top hat kid.

He'd make a good DS inquisitor, actually.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DXH posted:

Just to clarify: if I bought the previous Amazon bundle (the Shadow of Revan one) back in May, this new bundle won't do me any good? Thinking about coming back since I just got a new computer that isn't a 2010 MBP so I can crank up the graphics. My agent used to look like a human from a Toy story movie. Not the last one, with all the nice fur textures and poo poo. I mean the first one, the one with the rear end in a top hat kid.

He'd make a good DS inquisitor, actually.

It was confirmed that the new bundle will give you 90 days sub for $40.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Characters still sorta look like that though, even with maxed settings

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

It was confirmed that the new bundle will give you 90 days sub for $40.

I picked it up, but it doesn't seem to give you access to the hutt cartel expansion, which is kind of lame.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Medullah posted:

Click here in order to make your life easier – different perks depending on if you’re F2P (bundle of QOL items) or Subscriber (7 free days of subscription, quality of life items, and a free character transfer).

Oh come on. :colbert:

I'm just jealous because I still don't have referrer rewards.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

xsf421 posted:

I picked it up, but it doesn't seem to give you access to the hutt cartel expansion, which is kind of lame.

I think that comes free with sub time (and remains even if you unsub)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

I think that comes free with sub time (and remains even if you unsub)

From reading the Q&A on the amazon page, apparently my code bugged! Time to talk to support.

e: Apparently you have to have a credit card under subscription options, even if it doesn't charge you, to unlock all the content.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 7, 2015

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Jan posted:

Oh come on. :colbert:

I'm just jealous because I still don't have referrer rewards.

I'm over 90 days since I last clicked Medullah's. Chuck up a code and I'll click it to see if it will give you anything.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rouncer posted:

I'm over 90 days since I last clicked Medullah's. Chuck up a code and I'll click it to see if it will give you anything.

Oh, yeah, I forgot this can be redone every 90 days.

http://www.swtor.com/r/SFbX9d

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Jan posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot this can be redone every 90 days.

http://www.swtor.com/r/SFbX9d

Done. Enjoy the 110% speeder.

Edit - actually not sure if it works without a 90 day absence. Mind reporting back if you did get the speeder?

Rouncer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 7, 2015

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Thyrork posted:

I always thought the inquisitor wasn't a stand out story by itself but stood out because it twists a very old classic into a hilarious place. At least Act 1 anyway.

You're the chosen one by blood (The King) who's a slave (who's a farmhand). You are saved by a Sith Lord (A Wizard) who takes you on a journey to the grand throne world of your people (the kingdom's castle), to gather artefacts while learning your powers (that one's pretty on target!) while working alongside a powerful ally who's actually a monster! (the king's champion with a dark past)

You're the original rags to riches heroic story, completely flipped on its head. Its wonderful. :allears:

Compared to the horrendous shitshow that is the Trooper ( Seriously, what the hell possessed them to turn Act 3 into... that? ), and the generally "fun and reasonably entertaining, but middling-to-bad quality" writing for most of the other stories in the game, Sith Inquisitor is an absolute gem. But, yes, part of it is also that it's a dark reflection of the Hero's Journey, and you still have the option to play it heroically, or just go full villain.

The Imperial Agent is still the best story all told, but the Inquisitor is still head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. If I were to rate the stories, I'd say Agent, Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter/Smuggler, Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior, Jedi Consular and ( ugh ) Trooper waaaaay down in the trash-compactor.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Rouncer posted:

Edit - actually not sure if it works without a 90 day absence. Mind reporting back if you did get the speeder?

Yeah, seems that way -- "NOTE: Friends who have never had a SWTOR account or previous Subscribers who have been unsubscribed for 90 days or more are eligible to participate."

Nothing showing up in the referrals tracker.

e: Wait, something showed up now. xsff?

e2: And Medullah, your referral link is broken, ironically. It's been over 90 days for me I believe, I'll just go click Fuzz's or something -- unless you already have all the junk?

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 7, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it possible to boost an already-made character to sixty rather than a new one? I played during the big 12x-exp-for-story-missions and that was a ton of fun. Then I hit the first expansion, the exp boost ended, and the storyline was bad so I lost interest.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Pierson posted:

Is it possible to boost an already-made character to sixty rather than a new one? I played during the big 12x-exp-for-story-missions and that was a ton of fun. Then I hit the first expansion, the exp boost ended, and the storyline was bad so I lost interest.

Nope. The insta-60 feature is only for brand new characters once KOTFE hits.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Wow there is a queue on the Euro server right now!

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Medullah posted:

:siren:New to the game? Coming back to the game?:siren:

Click here in order to make your life easier – different perks depending on if you’re F2P (bundle of QOL items) or Subscriber (7 free days of subscription, quality of life items, and a free character transfer).

Should I be seeing a confirmation or something when I click that? I just get a blank swotor page. Edit: NM clicked the other link.

Also being completely new what 3 tradeskills should I go with? I heard slicer is good.

LazyDivey fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

LazyDivey posted:

Should I be seeing a confirmation or something when I click that? I just get a blank swotor page. Edit: NM clicked the other link.

Medullah's code is missing a letter, I think. But yeah, all links are functionally the same (for the referee :v:).

LazyDivey posted:

Also being completely new what 3 tradeskills should I go with? I heard slicer is good.

Depends on what you want. The previous OP sums it up nicely:

quote:

Put them to work. Crafting in SWTOR isn't something you do yourself, it's something you have your companions do for you. Crew skills are divided into three categories: crafting, gathering and mission skills. The first two are fairly self-explanatory, and mission skills are skills that provide a number of small missions you send your companion on, and hopefully they come back with something nice, this is where you'll get the rare materials you need to make blue or purple recipes. Each crafting skill has an associated gathering and mission skill listed in its codex entry, so you're not reliant on other players for components.

What skill should you take? The most useful one is biochem at endgame, since you can craft your own medpacks, stims and adrenals that otherwise can be pretty pricey. The second to final tier of Biochem craftables are reusable, but they require the Biochem skill to use. Cybertech is the most useful for gearing up alts, with artifice also being of some use there, and it can now make dyes for playing pretty princess dressup with. Armstech, Armormech and Synthweaving can make augments of various types, which are useful for endgame gearing, and can also be helpful for gearing alts. If you just want to make money, your best bet is taking Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing, then just gather everything and sell it on the GTN. Low level mats sell for a fair bit, particularly in those weird in-between levels from 25-40.
If you want to be a pro and plan on having a ton of alts to replace your lack of real life friends, I recommend following this path for crafters –

First character – Cybertech/Scavenging/U.T – Allows you to make your own mods, armorings and earpieces for this character and the rest.

Second character – Biochem/Bioanalysis/Diplomacy – Allows you to make medpacs, stims, adrenals and implants.

Third character – Artifice/Archaeology/Treasure Hunting – Enhancements, hilts for laser swords, relics. With your Cybertech now you can make every component needed for armoring your toons up.

Fourth character – Armstech/Scavenging/Investigation – Makes barrels. Now you can make every modifiable component there is except augments. Can make Power augments, which are the most generally useful for DPS and Heals.

Fifth / Sixth character – Synthweaving/Archaeology/Slicing Trading and Armormech/Scavenging/Slicing – They make mostly useless items, except augments. Slicing can get you money lockboxes, missions to run on your other characters, and the slicing components needed to make augments. Congratulations, you now have an army of crafters and can make everything you need.

Seventh+ characters – Biochem/Whatever/Whatever – Make reusable items with your primary biochemist gives them an edge while leveling and doing dailies. I usually did Biochem/Slicing/Underworld Trading as that was the most profitable and best way to keep my Cybertech in purple mats.

Just bear in mind that as mentioned, the unlimited medpacks from Biochem are going away, making the skill far less fun to have. On the flipside, the crafting changes should make Cybertech far more interesting since mods will start out as blue quality instead of having to reverse engineer green quality crap just to get a blue mod recipe.

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 7, 2015

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I see you mention the Dread Fortress but not Dread Master Steve. The most organized of the Dread Masters.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jan posted:

Medullah's code is missing a letter, I think. But yeah, all links are functionally the same (for the referee :v:).

Depends on what you want. The previous OP sums it up nicely:

Just bear in mind that as mentioned, the unlimited medpacks from Biochem are going away, making the skill far less fun to have. On the flipside, the crafting changes should make Cybertech far more interesting since mods will start out as blue quality instead of having to reverse engineer green quality crap just to get a blue mod recipe.

I took that out of the op because it's completely changing. Once I understand the new crafting better I'll update with recommendations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

I took that out of the op because it's completely changing. Once I understand the new crafting better I'll update with recommendations.

Yeah, it's hard to say, but it's still possible to guess a bit how the changes will impact the current "meta". Removing green crafted mods certainly will help since at least you won't have to reverse engineer a pile of crap just to get the equivalent of a 2-comm mod. But then Cybertech also loses armourings, so you can't rely on a single tradeskill for nearly all your alt mod needs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As a lazyman who doesn't craft and wants nothing more than easy money from my crew skills, I've found that underworld trading and slicing are the top two picks. I think I've heard that treasure hunting and diplomacy make fine choices for the third, but I've never bothered with them. Investigation is poo poo (right now).

Underworld is nice because most of the grade 1-4 blue metals sell for at least some profit on the GTN, and every now and then you’ll crit and get a purple which sells for even more. Then once you get to max level underworld trading, you can run bountiful & rich grade 11 metal missions, where the purple crits sell extremely well (blues are useless vendor trash at that level but the purples make it worth it). Grade 3+ companion gifts usually sell fairly well too, or you can use them to boost your affection. Fabrics are poo poo, don’t bother.

Slicing is nice because at max level, you can run bountiful & rich grade 11 tech part missions, which give you purple parts that sell amazingly well when you crit. Again, blues are trash, but the purples make it worth it. Lockbox missions themselves aren’t a great source of profit but they generally break even, and when they crit, they give you mission discovery items which you can use to get guaranteed purple mats, or just sell directly for a usually decent amount. Also, slicing will let you pick up slicing nodes around the world, which is literally free money (and at max level, it’s quite a lot).

Those are my favorite low-effort moneymakers. Stuff like scavenging and bioanalysis is also good, but a little more of a pain in the rear end; they give you more types of mats, which clutter your inventory, and not all of them sell super well, and you don’t always get the same thing every time. They let you pick up mats from nodes in the overworld for free, but unlike slicing, which rewards you with piles of credits up front, they give you mats that you have to take the extra step of listing and selling.

Not hard, of course, but technically more work than just opening a lockbox. And, if you take a non-slicing gathering skill, you can’t tell at a glance whether that node on your minimap will be free credits, or cluttery mats, you have to mouse over it first. If slicing is your only gather skill, then every time you see a node you know it’s a lockbox. I like it that way.

Mind you, SWTOR has a player-driven economy and it’s anybody’s guess as to what it will look like after KOTFE comes out, but I feel like this strategy should still be pretty sound. Slicing nodes, at least, will still exist and will be immune to the laws of supply and demand. They can’t take that from me.

TL;DR: pick underworld trading & slicing as crew skills. Level one to max first. When it’s maxed, run bountiful & rich grade 11 metal/tech part missions to sell purples, while leveling the other one. Sell everything that makes a profit.

Mind you, you stand to make more money if you actually craft poo poo, but that takes effort and research and a knowledge of what sells, how much it sells for, and how much of it you should actually try to sell. My method makes less money, but still a decent amount, and you don't have to put any thought into it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Mind you, SWTOR has a player-driven economy and it’s anybody’s guess as to what it will look like after KOTFE comes out, but I feel like this strategy should still be pretty sound. Slicing nodes, at least, will still exist and will be immune to the laws of supply and demand. They can’t take that from me.

They're certainly not immune to mudflation though. :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just realized that knights of the old republic and knights of the fallen empire are basically the exact same title. I'm the kind of dope that gives marketing people a reason to live

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
All the blasters and Niko and stuff for being a sub thru now, we get when KotFE comes out right?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you switch out tradeskills do you have to do all three over again or can you pick and choose?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So much for anyone else getting referrals. :arghfist::smith:

Great OP though.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

All the blasters and Niko and stuff for being a sub thru now, we get when KotFE comes out right?

As far as we know yeah. I'd bet we get it whenever they drop the patch rather than when the actual expansion launches though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yep, you'll get an in game mail.

Berke Negri posted:

If you switch out tradeskills do you have to do all three over again or can you pick and choose?

Yeah if you drop a crew skill you start from scratch. I would wait til KOTFE drops since it will be easier to re level with simplified mats.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FYI Ravagers is in GF tonight so I'll probable gauge interest around 8pm EDT.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

So if I buy the ewok merc do I just get it for one character? I like alts.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

LazyDivey posted:

and then you can unlock her in your collection for all your alts under specials for 700 cartel coins

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LazyDivey posted:

You buy her for 2100 coins initially (or a million credits if you have legacy 40) and then you can unlock in collections for 700 coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

LazyDivey posted:

Don't bother since she will probably no longer be crazy good in KotFE.

• Locked thread