Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

Yeah if it was restricted at launch it changed pretty quick. There were some nice enhancements a few years ago which allow for autocomplete when you type in a name for mail for names in your legacy or on your friend's list, and if you type a different name it warns you. Early on it didn't count cross faction as your characters so you had to be careful.

Early on I had to copy and paste my character's names to be safe, and since a few of them had special characters.

You're a special character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

nonentity posted:

You're a special character.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Whatever you guys plan to do. After almost five years of subscription, I'm calling it quits. Nothing in the past while has even slightly interested me, and what I'm reading about KOTET leaves me completely cold.

e:

I just noticed this part. You're gonna be sorry when you miss out on Shae Vizla, Shae Vizla's blaster, Shae Vizla's rocket pack, Shae Vizla's used underwear, and the special chapter where you play as Shae Vizla in a flashback to the sacking of Coruscant.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is Dark v Light still going on? I haven't played since spring, thinking about coming back and playing catch up soon but might restart sooner if I can still earn some rewards and that armor.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bagrada posted:

Is Dark v Light still going on? I haven't played since spring, thinking about coming back and playing catch up soon but might restart sooner if I can still earn some rewards and that armor.

It hasn't ended yet. I had been assuming it would end in October, but I think they just said "in the Fall", so it could also be November. :shrug:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

prefect posted:

It hasn't ended yet. I had been assuming it would end in October, but I think they just said "in the Fall", so it could also be November. :shrug:

Thanks, I will get it patching tonight and will check it out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

the special chapter where you play as Shae Vizla in a flashback to the sacking of Coruscant.

Would play this.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

So can you level as a subscriber doing class missions only as default? Or is it only during special times still?

For DvL I did all 8 classes from 1 to 50 doing the class story exclusively, except for the occasional heroic, one pvp match and one starfighter match.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I finally checked out the new Tracer Missile animation because I didn't get what the big issue was... yeah, I don't get the complaint. Yeah it's less involved, but you also don't pop a squat every time you fire one off, and I feel like that squatting back missile animation is used for like 2 or 3 other attacks so it's not like it's completely gone.

YEAH, I SAID IT.

On an actual serious/relevant topic: Considering DvL is on the KOTET splash page and we're already well into October, with KOTET not releasing until after... you guys think they might extend it past the end of October? Like maybe to the end of the year?

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Girlfriend and I are going to start playing this, since we were looking for a game to play together (aka waiting for her to finish shotgunning the withcher series.) I know there's the pre expansion slump so it gives us a chance to level at least. Is there a goon discord or something set up? :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

On an actual serious/relevant topic: Considering DvL is on the KOTET splash page and we're already well into October, with KOTET not releasing until after... you guys think they might extend it past the end of October? Like maybe to the end of the year?

Someone said that the event was planned to end a few weeks before KOTET so I'm assuming yes, it'll go through October at least and probably into November. I would hope they'll at least give a 30 day notice.

And there is a Discord server and I might have it in the OP but I don't think anyone ever used it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Consular story:

Where did Yuon get that scary red lightsaber?

And did all that sacrificing of my strength have literally no effect on anything?

What was up with that mercenary commander where I had to kill his dogs for his amusement or murder him in cold blood in the middle of his compound? No other option. Bloodthirsty poo poo.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So I recently came back to this game and made a DvL sage. I just finished Ch 3, I can skip Makeb and Oricon right if I've done those before on other chars w/o missing anything? Just go straight to Revan for the DvL achieve and then into FE?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

phosdex posted:

So I recently came back to this game and made a DvL sage. I just finished Ch 3, I can skip Makeb and Oricon right if I've done those before on other chars w/o missing anything? Just go straight to Revan for the DvL achieve and then into FE?

Yeah, once you're 53 you can jump into Prelude to SoR, or 55 you can start it without prelude (I'm not sure if you have to do Prelude for DvL achievement, I'd do it just in case).

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

Yeah, once you're 53 you can jump into Prelude to SoR, or 55 you can start it without prelude (I'm not sure if you have to do Prelude for DvL achievement, I'd do it just in case).

Ok that's what I thought. I actually made it to 64 doing the class quests, and other basic intro stuff and a few pvp matches.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Every politician carries a sword. The Grells are engaging in some very unsavoury father/daughter face-sitting. And Nadia tried to shoot a with with a lightsaber.

I don't remember the game being this buggy/lazily put together last time I played.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 10, 2016

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Alter Ego posted:

Would play this.

Seconded, this would be bomb as hell. Literally!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Every politician carries a sword. The Grells are engaging in some very unsavoury father/daughter face-sitting. And Nadia tried to shoot a with with a lightsaber.

I don't remember the game being this buggy/lazily put together last time I played.

I could swear Keeper and Watcher Two never carried weapons before, but they've got them now. :shrug:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A bunch of formerly-weaponless NPCs now do, for some reason.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It's a bug from the new patch. Everyone had weapons that were invisible apparently due to character design, and the last patch made them visible.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

I could swear Keeper and Watcher Two never carried weapons before, but they've got them now. :shrug:

Because they didn't, at least last time I played around KotFE chapter...11, I think? Seems like all NPCs just kind of have a weapon now and it really looks odd coming from NPCs like Keeper...who was given a sword.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

It's a bug from the new patch. Everyone had weapons that were invisible apparently due to character design, and the last patch made them visible.

Odd not to make the default a pistol though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

sassassin posted:

Consular story:

Where did Yuon get that scary red lightsaber?

Yuon collects relics of all kinds, including Sith relics. She has the most extensive collection of Force-relics of any Jedi, so... yeah, not too odd for her to have that.

quote:

And did all that sacrificing of my strength have literally no effect on anything?

In the beta test, each time you chose to sacrifice your strength you got a stacking 15% debuff to all stats while in a Consular phase, to represent the difficulties of what you are doing, to a maximum of I believe 75%. This was stripped out by the time of release, because the original intention was 'if you're too weak to do it solo, bring a friend'... but people hated it. So now instead of nearly dying mechanically and being super weak, you just are story wise nearly dead for all of act 1. Kinda sucks, but I can see why they would change it.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Haha. I was wondering about that this morning.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
It was fun goofing off on the guild ship tonight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

It was fun goofing off on the guild ship tonight.

Yes, and the new guy to the game got riches showered upon him like a scared teenage runaway's first night at the strip club!

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

Medullah posted:

Yes, and the new guy to the game got riches showered upon him like a scared teenage runaway's first night at the strip club!

I'm Internet rich now!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

In the beta test, each time you chose to sacrifice your strength you got a stacking 15% debuff to all stats while in a Consular phase, to represent the difficulties of what you are doing, to a maximum of I believe 75%. This was stripped out by the time of release, because the original intention was 'if you're too weak to do it solo, bring a friend'... but people hated it. So now instead of nearly dying mechanically and being super weak, you just are story wise nearly dead for all of act 1. Kinda sucks, but I can see why they would change it.

Drink every time Bioware presents a serious, galaxy-changing decision to your character and then doesn't follow through on it at all.

Surely it would be simpler to stop writing things like "You've forged peace on Alderaan!" into the story when the entire world map is houses having firefights with each other that the player will never be able to change. They're drawing needless attention to how fake and mmo-ey everything is (and now it makes no sense for my character to ever return to a planet that probably took a long time to make).

We know we're all players in an mmo, telling me I'm the one and only bubblegum of the Jedi Order is just dumb.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
See also: 'Congratulations on doing a thing that'll win us the war!' after almost every single planet as the Trooper. Meanwhile the war's still going right outside, completely unchanged. Suspension of disbelief really only goes so far in covering that.

I'm still waiting for the Epic Bioware Storytelling they promised us was really coming this time before kotfe landed. Cause all I've seen so far is a bunch of NPCs constantly going on about how amazing and awesome their favorite new characters are, and an ending the not only reflected the choices I made (That'll definitely matter, honest!) in only the most token of ways, and then proceeded to neither end anything nor actually change the status quo beyond putting a new name on the big bad.

Chosen one stories in an MMO don't work, period. Bioware has been shown this repeatedly with this game but they just keep right on doing it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I kept the email I got from someone I saved on Taris. I'm proud of myself for that one. It was a good win.

Stories where we make a big difference on more personal levels aren't hard to write, and usually don't require making up as many silly words.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So I made a character just today (Cyborg Agent, name of Borot, on Jedi Covenant), using the referral link in the OP and basically just started playing as soon as the essential download was complete (full download still at 35% or so).

The Who tab is unavailable to me, however, saying it's subscriber-only, which brings me to some other stuff I've noticed. How screwed am I for being F2P to start with? I've seen higher vendor prices, for example, and I'm curious how bad the situation described in the OP is. I'm okay with spending a bit of money, especially if some of the stuff carries over after the sub has run out, but if I were to be a regular subscriber to an MMO, I'd probably be going for FFXIV, although I last played way too long ago and who even knows right now.

Also, there seems to be an issue with the texture on some characters, where there are flickery dark spots on them, kinda like film grain, and that includes my character. Is that an issue with the incomplete download, or is it some setting I gotta mess with?

EDIT: Also, I'm curious as to how active/inactive chars work, since I apparently can only have two of them.

VV: Oh okay, so just a download thing, no worries on that, thanks.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 11, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A lot of the textures and stuff used on the starter planets aren't included in the initial download, as the former have been changed and updated over the years, while the latter hasn't to match.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Serperoth posted:

So I made a character just today (Cyborg Agent, name of Borot, on Jedi Covenant), using the referral link in the OP and basically just started playing as soon as the essential download was complete (full download still at 35% or so).

The Who tab is unavailable to me, however, saying it's subscriber-only, which brings me to some other stuff I've noticed. How screwed am I for being F2P to start with? I've seen higher vendor prices, for example, and I'm curious how bad the situation described in the OP is. I'm okay with spending a bit of money, especially if some of the stuff carries over after the sub has run out, but if I were to be a regular subscriber to an MMO, I'd probably be going for FFXIV, although I last played way too long ago and who even knows right now.

Also, there seems to be an issue with the texture on some characters, where there are flickery dark spots on them, kinda like film grain, and that includes my character. Is that an issue with the incomplete download, or is it some setting I gotta mess with?

EDIT: Also, I'm curious as to how active/inactive chars work, since I apparently can only have two of them.

VV: Oh okay, so just a download thing, no worries on that, thanks.

True F2P is terrible. I'd really recommend dropping $15 and subbing for one month - that unlocks all of the games content thus far (True F2P can only do up to level 50 and original class storylines, none of the expansions). When your sub lapses you keep the expansions and go to Preferred status which is also terrible but not QUITE as terrible as F2P, and makes it so you can actually play through the stories without having to worry about, say, quick bars and such.

As far as bang for your buck, the KOTFE starter bundle for $40 is a fantastic deal if you can afford it. You get 3 months of subscription, so not only will you get all of the content out today, but you'll get KOTET when it launches as well. And since it's supposedly only 9 chapters, that means you get everything. I suspect there will still be content patches for subs next year, but I'm hoping that it's flashpoints and (ahahahhaha) raids as they seem to have taken the feedback that no one really liked the "1 chapter at a time" that KOTFE did.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

As far as bang for your buck, the KOTFE starter bundle for $40 is a fantastic deal if you can afford it. You get 3 months of subscription, so not only will you get all of the content out today, but you'll get KOTET when it launches as well. And since it's supposedly only 9 chapters, that means you get everything. I suspect there will still be content patches for subs next year, but I'm hoping that it's flashpoints and (ahahahhaha) raids as they seem to have taken the feedback that no one really liked the "1 chapter at a time" that KOTFE did.

From the datamining, Uprisings are new pseudo-random flashpoints (each Uprising has three bosses randomly selected from a list of four or five) and Galactic Command is world quests, so there should be a bit more for endgame players.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Cythereal posted:

From the datamining, Uprisings are new pseudo-random flashpoints (each Uprising has three bosses randomly selected from a list of four or five) and Galactic Command is world quests, so there should be a bit more for endgame players.

Oh good, more flashpoints where the bosses are randomised making achievement hunting totally loving impossible :saddowns:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Medullah posted:

True F2P is terrible. I'd really recommend dropping $15 and subbing for one month - that unlocks all of the games content thus far (True F2P can only do up to level 50 and original class storylines, none of the expansions). When your sub lapses you keep the expansions and go to Preferred status which is also terrible but not QUITE as terrible as F2P, and makes it so you can actually play through the stories without having to worry about, say, quick bars and such.

Huh that pack does seem like good value. And I have ~2 weeks to figure out if I want to drop money, even though I was considering the 30-day 15$ thing, for both the QoL improvements and Preferred afterwards.

I'll see how cash rolls out and figure it out, thanks for the info.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Oh good, more flashpoints where the bosses are randomised making achievement hunting totally loving impossible :saddowns:

Is that an issue? I played in a WoW Wrath Of The Lich King server recently and had no problem getting the achievements for the randomized dungeons, if the total pool is 5 bosses, getting all of them shouldn't take more than a few tries (unless I'm missing something with how different this game is)

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Serperoth posted:

Huh that pack does seem like good value. And I have ~2 weeks to figure out if I want to drop money, even though I was considering the 30-day 15$ thing, for both the QoL improvements and Preferred afterwards.

I'll see how cash rolls out and figure it out, thanks for the info.

Is that an issue? I played in a WoW Wrath Of The Lich King server recently and had no problem getting the achievements for the randomized dungeons, if the total pool is 5 bosses, getting all of them shouldn't take more than a few tries (unless I'm missing something with how different this game is)

There's a couple in the game at the moment and it seems like there's on boss which shows up twice as often as the others (I think this is literally the case as only one boss can appear for both factions), so getting the achievement clears is really time consuming. It's also a boring as hell flashpoint (KDY)

I'm complaining with tongue in cheek to be honest - any new group content is better than none!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If you don't like being told you are the only X when you know lots of people have done the story and are running around, SWTOR is for you. Yeah. Not everything on the planets is phased, but the story can still tell you things and shoe you your results as time goes on, without it instantly being bad because other people have done it.

SWTOR is a single player story based RPG like Jade Empire, but split into 8 stories and that happens to have some group content.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Huh that pack does seem like good value. And I have ~2 weeks to figure out if I want to drop money, even though I was considering the 30-day 15$ thing, for both the QoL improvements and Preferred

Origin has a 60 day version of that bundle for $10 less if you want to be a bit cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

If you don't like being told you are the only X when you know lots of people have done the story and are running around, SWTOR is for you. Yeah. Not everything on the planets is phased, but the story can still tell you things and shoe you your results as time goes on, without it instantly being bad because other people have done it.

It can, but it's bad when the things it tells you are directly and immediately contradicted by the game itself, in extremely obvious, unavoidable ways. Don't tell me I ended the war when the MMO requires that war wage on indefinitely.

In the Consular story I have been chosen to be a representative to some splinter group because of my past successes. This is good. Other people have done so, but there is no immediate visible contradiction.

Also in this story I have been made the once in a generation Bar...something of the order, because I am special and unique and was as strong in the force at 4 as some masters were at 14, which is hitting the nail so firmly on the head the whole house exploded around it. Roughly a third of all Jedi wandering around the temple at any one time have that title, and it is mechanically meaningless. They would lose nothing by leaving it out.

Good writing is for everyone. You don't have to be part of the in-crowd that it's "for" to get it.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 11, 2016

• Locked thread