Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Thinking about coming back to play after watching the trailer which sucked me in. Last time I played I was raiding the dread palace with goons, general consensus on things moving in a positive/fun direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The direct comparison to the silly Consular title is that 5 minutes later you are granted the non-unique rank of Jedi Master, for no particularly compelling reason (you are explicitly told it's to keep up appearances).

It still feels so much cooler.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

phosdex posted:

Origin has a 60 day version of that bundle for $10 less if you want to be a bit cheaper.

Days don't matter a huge lot, and the money matters, I'll be looking into that too, thank you :)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I kept the email I got from someone I saved on Taris. I'm proud of myself for that one. It was a good win.

Stories where we make a big difference on more personal levels aren't hard to write, and usually don't require making up as many silly words.

The last of the eight storylines I did was the Republic Trooper, because I found it really uninteresting, but when they added 6xXP I figured it was the best time to speedrun through the story and finish the "all storylines" achievements.

So on Belsavis one of the class missions has a bonus side quest to intercept Imperial sniper teams on your way to rendezvous with the Republic troops you're going to rescue. I skipped it. In the cutscene that followed, the snipers I ignored killed half the team I was rescuing. The survivors are bitter: "you didn't do your job and our guys paid the price, you lazy rear end in a top hat."

I felt genuinely bad about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Super 3 posted:

Thinking about coming back to play after watching the trailer which sucked me in. Last time I played I was raiding the dread palace with goons, general consensus on things moving in a positive/fun direction?

Goons haven't raided much since 2014. Few pick up raids here and there, but nothing serious. That's pretty much a side effect of no new raids and being able to get full HM raid gear just doing EV and KP instead of being forced to do Temple of Sacrifice and Ravagers.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

sassassin posted:

It can, but it's bad when the things it tells you are directly and immediately contradicted by the game itself, in extremely obvious, unavoidable ways. Don't tell me I ended the war when the MMO requires that war wage on indefinitely.

In the Consular story I have been chosen to be a representative to some splinter group because of my past successes. This is good. Other people have done so, but there is no immediate visible contradiction.

Also in this story I have been made the once in a generation Bar...something of the order, because I am special and unique and was as strong in the force at 4 as some masters were at 14, which is hitting the nail so firmly on the head the whole house exploded around it. Roughly a third of all Jedi wandering around the temple at any one time have that title, and it is mechanically meaningless. They would lose nothing by leaving it out.

Good writing is for everyone. You don't have to be part of the in-crowd that it's "for" to get it.

But this is no different from any other story, except instead of thousands of people completing it worldwide in single player, you can play with each other. Do you really think making you less important would make the story better for you? Because uh, the number one thing WoW learned from ToR is that people react way better to being importsnt in the story.

Story wise you are the only consular, and you are teamed up with a trooper, a smuggler, and a knight to do all of your stories + end the war via the side quests. If you cant suspend your disbelief far enough to not throw a hissy fit about other people being as special as you, stop playing TOR right now, because it never changes. You just get made more and more unique as time goes on - the expansion's don't even assume there's multiple characters, no matter who you are, you are the single Savior of makeb, or the single defeater of Revan, or the singular Outlander.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This is why I like using the "One and Only" title.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

But this is no different from any other story, except instead of thousands of people completing it worldwide in single player, you can play with each other. Do you really think making you less important would make the story better for you? Because uh, the number one thing WoW learned from ToR is that people react way better to being importsnt in the story.

"Importance to the story" does not require that story having impact on a global/galactic/widely-observable scale. I'm not for a moment suggesting we tag along while an author's pet character saves the day.

I'd rather save 10 people I'll never see again than save a planet full of them that will still be fighting on the walk back to the spaceport.

Being made a Jedi Master is more impactful than being made special snowflake word, once in a generation figure of myth and fable. No suspension of disbelief is required.

You should absolutely be important to the story, even be made to feel important in general, but when you push it beyond when the game is capable of representing it's just dumb and bad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The problem is, people WANT the grand, saving the world storylines. Just look at the change that's happened since launch where the side missions where you collect 4 Ewok testicles to create a medicine for a young dying child can now be ignored so people can just focus on becoming the Emperor's Wrath.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Some official confirmations from Bioware -

DvL ends on 11/29
KOTET is being released in its entirety in December - 9 chapters only
Next year's focus is group content!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

The problem is, people WANT the grand, saving the world storylines. Just look at the change that's happened since launch where the side missions where you collect 4 Ewok testicles to create a medicine for a young dying child can now be ignored so people can just focus on becoming the Emperor's Wrath.

I didn't play far into the Fallen Empire stuff (wasted my free token on a class I didn't enjoy playing) but their solution to this seemed to be excising the big world/social aspect of the game, and making things even more linear. Story that matches gameplay is good writing.

I always murder enough manka cats to save one twilek child's life (possibly, that "medicine" sounds like pseudo-science to me).

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
Here's my referral code for new/returning people. Get a few boosts and stuff and things.

http://www.swtor.com/r/WfwBzC

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Some official confirmations from Bioware -

DvL ends on 11/29
KOTET is being released in its entirety in December - 9 chapters only
Next year's focus is group content!

All the way through November? Maybe I could learn how to do operations and hard modes...

(This is a bad idea I'm having.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sassassin posted:

I didn't play far into the Fallen Empire stuff (wasted my free token on a class I didn't enjoy playing) but their solution to this seemed to be excising the big world/social aspect of the game, and making things even more linear. Story that matches gameplay is good writing.

I always murder enough manka cats to save one twilek child's life (possibly, that "medicine" sounds like pseudo-science to me).

And yet most of us are extremely disappointed with the single player/corridor of enemies style of KOTFE. I personal prefer an open world where multiple Grand Champions of the Great Hunt can run around and do stuff together even if it does require suspension of disbelief.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

CeeCee posted:

Here's my referral code for new/returning people. Get a few boosts and stuff and things.

http://www.swtor.com/r/WfwBzC

Used

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

And yet most of us are extremely disappointed with the single player/corridor of enemies style of KOTFE. I personal prefer an open world where multiple Grand Champions of the Great Hunt can run around and do stuff together even if it does require suspension of disbelief.

Would it have killed them to make you all champions of a great hunt?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Has there been an end-date announced for the Dark vs Light event?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I don't mind the corridors so much as the ad nauseum 3 Skytrooper spawns, though the Mandalorian Darvannis episode being pseudo open world was a nice change of pace.

With so many droids I'm starting to think Valkorian is the entire Zakuul Empire just changing hats like that episode of I Love Lucy where the same guy runs the town restaurant, sheriff's office, mayor's office, post office, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cams posted:

Has there been an end-date announced for the Dark vs Light event?

November 29th.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

prefect posted:

All the way through November? Maybe I could learn how to do operations and hard modes...

(This is a bad idea I'm having.)

Unless you're in an active guild, don't bother. The average pubbie is completely loving useless.

Incidentally, I've spent the last 4 hours wiping on Cademimu and having pubbies ragequit after a single wipe during a group finder operation. I want to kill myself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I don't mind the corridors so much as the ad nauseum 3 Skytrooper spawns, though the Mandalorian Darvannis episode being pseudo open world was a nice change of pace.

With so many droids I'm starting to think Valkorian is the entire Zakuul Empire just changing hats like that episode of I Love Lucy where the same guy runs the town restaurant, sheriff's office, mayor's office, post office, etc.

For all the bigwig talk of the Force in balance and Arcann and Vaylin being special monsters, the story generally agrees that sheer numbers of droids is why Zakuul was able to beat the Republic and Empire and why it's such a threat. Losses mean nothing to Zakuul because it's almost always just droids and there's infinitely more where they came from.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm enjoying the consular story on Balmorra because it's one of the few that doesn't have a big ticking clock driving you forward.

Taking your time to do a (fairly) thorough job solving every local's problems comes across as a good idea not just mechanically for the xp, but in context of the overall objective. Good writing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For those coming back, click a referral code!

http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Nipponophile posted:

Whatever you guys plan to do. After almost five years of subscription, I'm calling it quits. Nothing in the past while has even slightly interested me, and what I'm reading about KOTET leaves me completely cold.

e:

Same. I don't know if I'm gonna be coming back for Eternal Throne.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Also, did they not have any other Cantina codes this year other than this NY Comic Con one? I missed the San Diego one, huh... :smithicide:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Medullah posted:

Normal is class and planetary (or you can skip planetary and supplement with heroics, PvP, Flashpoints, whatever). With the DvL armor, guild XP boost and an XP booster I'm pretty sure on normal you can get by with just story and you'll be overleveled by the 3rd planet, especially if you do the solo mode Black Talon/Esseles after starter planet and Intro to PvP.

Ok. Sorry in advance it has been a LONG time since I last logged in. What is DvL armor and how do I get it?

Edit: Reading about it all now but it seems pretty confusing. If I have a couple 50's already, am I automatically given the DvL legacy armor for that legacy armor set?

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 11, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I didn't see it mentioned on the expac website but I remember the last few having a 12x xp catch up mechanic in story missions. Are they still doing that? I haven't played since launch and figured if I come back it might as well be on a new character.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
http://dulfy.net/2016/10/11/swtor-upcoming-items-for-5-0/

Stuff and things.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Stuck in a client meeting when all I want is another sexy dance party. Such is life :(

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I didn't see it mentioned on the expac website but I remember the last few having a 12x xp catch up mechanic in story missions. Are they still doing that? I haven't played since launch and figured if I come back it might as well be on a new character.

All mainline class and story missions are now 6x XP (for subscribers?), so you could level all the way up and skip the side missions. For the next 1886 hours of real life time, there is Double XP on top of that.

If you are coming back now, you might as well start a new character for the Dark vs. Light (DvL) event stuff.

Utnayan posted:

Reading about it all now but it seems pretty confusing. If I have a couple 50's already, am I automatically given the DvL legacy armor for that legacy armor set?

That's a negative. Only new characters count towards the DvL event achievements. A DvL character has a symbol next to their name on the character select screen.

Dulfy is the best source for what gets you what in DvL.
http://dulfy.net/2016/06/28/swtor-dark-vs-light-event-checklist/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

araeris posted:

That's a negative. Only new characters count towards the DvL event achievements. A DvL character has a symbol next to their name on the character select screen.

When DvL is over, will those symbols go away? I'm worried that my oldest characters are going to look second-class on the character-select screen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Some nice looking stuff as always man.

Again, tell your drat bosses to add weapons to outfit designer.

prefect posted:

When DvL is over, will those symbols go away? I'm worried that my oldest characters are going to look second-class on the character-select screen.

They haven't said yet. I suspect it'll probably stay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Well shucks fellas, new expansion means NEW THREAD!

(Work in progress)

• Locked thread