Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dexo posted:

So I just redownloaded this game, because I heard about the poo poo they are doing and it interests me.

Turns out I forgot to cancel my sub, so I have like 5k Cartel Coins. What should I spend them on

Those rocket boots are pretty drat useful.

So will Shadow of Revan unlock for free for subscribers when KOTFE drops as well? My original goal to get one of each class to 60 before release has kind of sputtered -- I have one Warrior at 50, kind of forgot about finishing my Inquisitor at 37, and didn't even start a Bounty Hunter. I might as well go through the other story stuff on my main Agent who has been on Ilum for the past two years, where should I go after the class story is done?

Edit: Oh, I read the OP, so it's Makeb then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So is the post-base game content significantly different between factions, or is it basically the same story with palette-swapped support characters? I forgot that I also have a 50 Trooper that I should probably try to get to the cap as well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's weird for me, the blistering pace of the 12x story quests has perhaps made these other class stories that much more forgettable for me, like I'm just bouncing around like a pinball and I also am not talking to any of my companions because I think someone in the other thread said not to do that to max affection or something. I did do Agent first a long time ago so they all pale in comparison anyway, I guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

All my alts are dressed like dumb X-Wing pilots. Their rewards for finishing the story are normal person clothes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Agent is the best Imperial storyline because it's written with the pragmatic get-poo poo-done mindset as a major option. With the Warrior and Consular I've found if you don't go to the cartoonish evil side it's easy to be shoehorned into your character saying poo poo like "I'm secretly light side but need to fool the Sith to bring them down from within"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Warrior was exactly what I was thinking about, I didn't spare Jaesa's master because it was the noble thing to do, but because I expected him to be tortured for valuable intelligence and it would help psychologically manipulate Jaesa, both of which had been major plot points in the chapter. But I couldn't find an option that didn't fill the screen with saintly light and have my character say "I am a good person"

Edit: I still maintain the Warrior has the most hilarious moral choice where you convince a Jedi to kill someone with the rationale that "I need to stay light side but killing will taint me (even though I killed 5000 guys to get here)," and of course the game gives you light side points for it, like some reverse Nuremberg defense

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 13, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I did enjoy the Sith Warrior storyline overall and you get to do some cool things in it; I definitely wasn't checked out of it like I kind of am with the Inquisitor. I just hope that this new story-focused expansion means they're bringing the A-level writing to it, if they're doubling down on it all.

How long does it take to do an individual companion's quest line (to fill in that checkbox on the legacy screen)? I read some tip in the other thread not to talk to any of the companions while leveling to min-max their affection later, which probably also means I missed some big chunks of character development story-wise. I need to do those before the expansion drops...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, with what everyone's saying about LS Inquisitor I may have to call an audible and switch. I thought I'd try to go for a dark side character since I've done nothing but light, but...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You have to wait until October 19 for KOTFE, and for SOR, I've been told.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

ah but you see now you're just the OUTSIDER

no wait that's not right

Bioware's trademark "Give the PC some kooky title to make the lack of spoken names less jarring"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So they're talking about how KOTFE is going to be episodic; has there been any info on how long these chapters are going to be and when the story will be wrapped up? If we get 9 chapters in an expansion-sized package, does that mean each chapter will be roughly the equivalent of a planet in the base game?

I would hate to be strung along for six months of subscriber fees, I would probably just cancel after I finish the story content and resubscribe when it's done if it's that long or longer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would hope that those "origin stories" have some effect, with at least some class-specific quest chains or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

All those eight class stories are like, even with just doing 12x like 30ish hour single rpgs so I imagine as impressive as that is youre not really going to see that level of development again.

I'd hope, then, that needing to only focus on one critical-path story means they can do some cooler things with it. Grander setpieces and more of them, some new gameplay stuff that isn't "MMO dungeon crawl then conversation", and a lot more choices with significant effects.

With the need for each planet to support 4-8 class story missions in each area, even the "unique" content starts to seem samey and cookie-cutter when you do it multiple times. Different MacGuffins, different Darths, but the overall arcs are the same.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well, just finished my alt Inquisitor storyline right before the world ends in a few hours, though he's only 49. If the post-50 content is generally the same I'll probably only play through it once with my Operative anyway (oh god I completely forgot how to play this class and all these keybinds are different and why is my cargo hold filled to capacity with crafting materials, gifts, and green armor)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have my ship droid as well.

Man, I've just gotten back into playing my Operative and the game is so much better with stealth, I had forgotten how much more pleasant it is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So can non force-users have force-users as companions now? That was always such a thing that made me feel like a second-class citizen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So apparently I resubbed at exactly the wrong time since I ended up too late for early access and my time lapses before the actual release.

I ended up getting the Amazon starter pack (I can't believe I spent 70 dollars on this again) and I can't seem to level past 55; I'm 1 XP away from level 56 and it's stuck. I restarted the client and actually started the Shadow of Revan content but I'm still not gaining any XP. What's going on?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Medullah posted:

You need the Shadow of Revan expansion to level past 55. Once it goes free on Tuesday, you'll be able to level past 55.

Oh wow, I thought the Amazon starter pack just unlocked that immediately but apparently not, and these Solo flashpoints aren't actually Shadow of Revan? I have continued to bumble in my SWTOR purchases. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait a few days, then. :sigh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ShineDog posted:

" They also have a purple display name in your Mission Log. Additional Missions on the critical path will retain the classic gold triangle icon and Mission log text."

So just to clarify that, exploration missions are complete garbage, avoid, gold missions MAY be ok, but are probably poo poo, purple missions are all I need to level up.

Right?

They're garbage in the sense that they are mindless generic MMO quests with little to no character interaction, yes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anything that makes leveling faster or easier is fine by me. I can't imagine having more fun because my companion is weaker. The sheer volume of trash mobs in this game is kinda ridiculous. This is the only MMO I've played where I kinda want to see the full storylines of each class, and that should be as painless as possible to do.

Leveling as a stealth class has always felt way different (read: more fun) than any other class. When I got back to my operative after doing some alt stories, and I could stealth past 90% of trash, and immediately escape from mobs if I got knocked down from my speeder, it felt like coming home.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When does SWTOR reset? How many hours before we poor non-Earlies can get in on the new and shiny stuff?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you're different classes you can tag along onto each other's story quests, I always thought that was cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I used a referral code from here to resubscribe, I got a free transfer. The transfers, which you can buy with cartel coins, were heavily discounted for a while too, I don't know if that's still active.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It just locks stuff out, you don't lose anything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How do I actually use the outfit system? I liked the Imperial Agent gear I had after Ilum and all the stuff I picked up on Makeb looks dumb.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm still pre-KOTFE. Is there a point to grinding up my current companions' influence?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What should I do with my cartel coins? I have the transportation upgrades, and would prefer quality of life stuff before cosmetics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A couple questions: What do I do with 500-level crafting? Specifically Biochem/Diplomacy/Bioanalysis.

Also do I get anything cool for grinding reputation on the expansion planets?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's 6x class quests, 6x planetary quests, so you don't need to do the side quests to keep pace with the story progression.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I finally finished all the pre-KOTFE story content. I am feeling a great hesitation in hitting that big purple Play button, though... There's such a finality to it...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I sat down this morning thinking I would just do Chapter 1 and I'm already at the beginning of Chapter 4, this seems a lot shorter than I was expecting -- I did marathon through 2 class stories and all the 50-60 content beforehand so my perception is probably skewed, though. Does this open up in any way?

I hope that you just have access to the remaining chapters as long as you're subscribed rather than some nickel-and-diming "You have to be subscribed when the chapter is released otherwise you're locked out and have to spend extra". I'll probably just see this content and then check back in a year when the story's done or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Where does the Coruscant plantary quests start? Everything I'm seeing says in the spaceport, but there aren't any other purple quest markers other than my class quest (smuggler).

If I remember correctly, the homeworlds don't actually have a specific "planetary" quest, it's all just class quests.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I always thought the best part of the 8-way storyline was that you got a sense that even the grandest gestures of "saving the galaxy" are taking place in a galaxy so large that ultimately their effects are limited. The Knight does stuff, but the Warrior counters some of it. The Agent deals with threats no one else has even heard of, etc.

It's a shame they kind of had to collapse that all, though it is understandable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tirranek posted:

lol in this case it was that mission on Balmorra where you rig the radios to explode, and then another guy gives you a lighter side choice to do it to grenades instead to target soldiers. They all went with the dark choice except me, I won, then when the guy berated everyone I won the roll basically saying 'yeah, guys, what were you thinking?'

It was great.

When this game first came out, the whole multiplayer narrative choice stuff felt so cool and was something I had never seen in a game before.

It's great that they're moving towards more focused story stuff, but now the story seems more solo-restricted than ever. Can you even play KOTFE as a group?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does the new companion system make it reasonable to level with something besides "You = DPS, companion = Healer"? It would be cool to actually try out some different combinations. I'm actually doing double DPS with my KOTFE main and it's working out pretty well.

Also is there a good World Boss guide, I'm doing that one recruitment quest. Are they on timers? (I can't believe they are forcing multiplayer for that other one, but I guess these are all optional)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow, so World Bosses are on a variable timer? I thought I would try to do them for that alliance recruitment quest but I guess I'm farming bear asses on Hoth

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, I ended up logging in right after the world boss spawned and even though I did like half of the damage on it, I guess because I wasn't there for first hit or something I got absolutely no credit or loot from it.

They really streamlined everything up to here but I guess they just put in grind city once all the story content was exhausted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I waited another two hours for the world boss to respawn and even put together a group to take it, but then while waiting for someone to come in, another group waltzed in and so I didn't get credit for it again because it got locked out, who makes essential loot tied to a 2 hour variable respawn that can be swiped by one rear end in a top hat, this is like first-year WoW bullshit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a wardrobe function in this game? What do I do with all these empty orange gear shells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Bank alts. Lots of bank alts.

drat. I like the story stuff in this game but I really miss all the quality of life features that have shown up in other games. Like, I just soloed a Star Fortress on Heroic, but I didn't know there was a Weekly associated with it, so because I didn't pick up some quest from a box it didn't count towards that.

On that note, it looks like Star Fortresses are pretty much just for grinding gear and influence, right? There doesn't seem to be much story in them and they seem to be unconnected to the overall progression. Maybe I'll just do the recruitments to check those boxes off.

• Locked thread