Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How am I supposed to beat Lord Tarnis? Game took away my companion and now everything (even trash) feels 10x harder.

edit: oh, I can get a companion, the game is just awkward and doesn't explain things.

gently caress Coruscant. Everything's 5x as big as it needs to be.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the 12x xp boost because I don't have to help people with their petty, stupid problems by murdering hundreds of bystanders all the time.

Using esc to walk away from conversations is nice, too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why can't I lie to that Imperial spy Watcher One when he tells me about the Sith assassin to distract me/buy himself time to interrogate the Doctor and escape? He explains very clearly that the information he receives will be far more valuable than the loss of a small group of colonists, and I already have the coordinates (supposedly)

It's the most obvious thing in the world to do, but no, you have to be honest, so the villains can later gloat about how well they know you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bioware's wonky writing where everyone is stupid and you never know what you're going to say (only that it won't be what you selected) only works if you can load a save and go back to make the best of a bad situation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

StashAugustine posted:

You can esc to get out of the cutscene.

Doesn't work if the cutscene is over and you discover that the decision you made on the phone to the guy trying to outwit you was actually final.

Or is there a way to reset a quest that is already pending rewards? Annoyed me a couple of times now.

edit: All the colonists were men, too. This is not how maximum flirt Jedi rolls.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eimi posted:

If you open your quest log there is a reset quest button. It will start you over from the beginning but it lets you reset those 'final' choices.

poo poo. Thanks. Too late now. Everyone's dead I make a great jedi.

Am I supposed to be upgrading the lightsaber I made on the first planet as I go, or just using whatever poverty sabers drop in my lap while questing?

Should I be taking green quest reward gear or commendations when I get a choice?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Synthweaving or Artificing?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So just ignore crafting entirely?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How dumb do you have to be to design a game where you will be running around with a companion most of the time, but not make the vehicles have enough room for two?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They wanted to design a vehicle system but just copied every other vehicle system in mmos line for line instead of thinking about their own game for two seconds and attaching a sidecar to the speeder.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fuzz posted:

I think it's more because there's too much variability with the companions. Rigging Forex, Blizz, T7, Doctor Lokin, etc to every speeder somehow on top of the existing stuff would be a fuckload of work.

Designing a hundred ugly speeders was also probably a lot of work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

Hey, hey, hey, it's useful in real combat:

The key to truly mastering Soresu seemed to come from grasping the concepts and philosophy of the form rather than adhering to its tactics and maneuvers. While Kenobi displayed a strong preference for Soresu, he continued to apply elements of the relentlessly dogged Form I as well as the erratic strokes and acrobatics of Ataru. At one point just before the conclusion of the Clone Wars, Mace Windu acknowledged Obi-Wan Kenobi as "the master of Soresu."[5]

("Form I" is the default Jedi one.)

(Why can't I stop reading about this poo poo?)

I like that soresu form makes my jedi do that dumb pose Ewan Mcgregor does in Ep 3.

Beyond that I don't care about lightsaber stances.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Attachment leads to the Dark Side. Learn to let go.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does gearing up my guy ever get more interesting than visiting the fleet every few levels to buy slightly-better blue mods with commendations?

Where can I get a lightsaber that I can mod that isn't ugly as sin?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Selling low tier scavenged metals has been my only reliable source of credits so far. Merging all that stuff is probably not going to help my bank balance.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I might actually consider doing one of these non-class quests I keep speeding past if the writing for the class quests didn't make everything sound so urgent all the time. Give it a rest and let me play the rest of the game without feeling guilty/stupid.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Was the Jedi Knight writer under orders to never allow any breathing space in the story? Every single quest is "hurry hurry hurry or everyone's going to die even you!!!". And then you've got to hurry to the next planet, because things are even more urgent there. No time to upgrade your gear or do any of the planet quests or flashpoints or whatever other content I'm fairly sure exists.

It's just a tedious, unceasing tide of super-weapons that need to be stopped. I can't see how it could be playable without 12x class xp. And then when Orgus Din dies it's hard to give a poo poo because they spent no time establishing him as anything other the a deceptive idiot that sends you on deadly missions and repeatedly gets himself trapped or captured. Best I can remember the only impressive thing he did was pull some rocks in front of a hole when my character was level 2.

I'm "the best student he ever trained", only he spent no time training me (I learned all my skills off random Jedi littered conveniently around the galaxy). But then my competition is Bengel Morr so I suppose that's not bad writing, given how easy it was to kill him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

I'm not sure what you really... expect there, there isn't really any questline in the game that has appreciable downtime story-wise that isn't done off-screen. If you want that you just go and do sidequests or other stuff for a while. :v: The 12x XP really made some classes stories a lot more hectic though, yes.

I haven't played any of the other classes so I can't compare them.

I'm just finding it very strange and offputting that the writing for the main story thread in an MMO - games that feature multiple different game-modes, group content, social aspects, base building etc. - is so deliberately focused on driving the player forward at pace through a single quest line, discouraging the player from exploring any of these other features. Everything is an emergency, nothing can wait, by explicit design.

It's an incredibly simple thing to make the next quest in a chain "meet me at x when you're ready, and we'll begin your next lesson". Basic awareness of the kind of project you are writing for should tell you that natural breathing spaces between adventures are important, so that a player can feel encouraged to go and do the things they want to do.

That the Jedi Knight story (and apparently that of all the other classes as well) take the opposite approach is baffling. Either you commit to the narrative you're given and become undergeared and (with the new xp values) underlevelled, or you take time to catch up on things and the story falls apart. Obviously the superweapon will wait for me to stop it, but why shine a spotlight on that?

It's bad writing. Even films don't maintain the same level of urgency for 90 minutes plus, and when watching those you don't have the choice to go shoot wamp rats for the local dirt farmers' last 100 credits.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 20, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SKY COQ posted:

The thing with the Jedi Knight (and I'm not excusing it, you do raise a valid point) is that the entire thrust of the story is pretty much casting you as Chosen Bioware Protagonist 3. By the end of the JK story I certainly had a sense that the Knight is the main agent of change in the game, so you do get a bit of the 'Most Important Man in the Galaxy' effect.

I've got no issue with that. The concept of being the big important hero is fine, though they lay it on a bit thick at times, and even give you dialogue options to say stuff like "I'm obviously not the only Jedi in the galaxy, call someone else once in a while" just so they can fob you off with nonsense and fellate your ego (with teeth).

Even that sort of story can be paced effectively. Don't queue up two superweapons at once and have them activate the moment you set foot on either planet. And don't follow that up with two emergency transmissions in a row that need immediate responses (and of course I'm the only one near enough to respond in a galaxy with hyperdrives and faster than light communication).

Have them start charging the death ray at the end of act two, not the start of act one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Catsworth posted:

Maybe it's me but it also feels the most padded. Almost finished Corellia before maintenance started and the last thing I did was go push buttons in 3 different buildings fighting my way in and out through each one. To give some context on how much slop of enemy chaff was put in my way there was a bonus quest for each building, Kill 25, kill 15, kill 30 enemies.

Coming shortly after having to press 3 other different buttons in 3 locations having to fight through enemies on the way in and out. Uuuugh.

Killing lots of people for no reason is not the Jedi way.

Or at least it shouldn't be. The code is unclear. I don't complete most of the bonus quests. They are usually hard to justify, both morally and as a time investment.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tuskin38 posted:

I may have a way to leave school early. Last class is pretty much do assignment and leave

It's only a videogame, mate. It's not going anywhere.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

Got the launcher updated and saw the new splash art.

I know it's a minor thing, but Bioware? I'm pretty sure we could have figured out the princess lady was a woman without the cleavage window.

Men can have cleavage too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The patch progress bar doesn't track evenly, right? It jumped to 50% in no time at all, and now a few hours later it's at... 55%.

My connection isn't that bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If this game is going to make me download 19gb every time it patches it can go gently caress itself tbqh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't like Jedi Knight because by level 20 all my cool lightsaber fighting moves have been made obsolete by weird shockwave poo poo and burning and freezing enemies wtf?

Can anyone recommend me a Star Wars game to play?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

I'm probably playing it sub-optimally, but it seems like I'm doing a lot of lightsaber work on my JK. That said, the one-saber attacks look much better than the two-saber attacks. Sometimes it actually looks like it might be a real fight, instead of just a set of animations stapled together.

The basic attack animations are crisp and there are even a few special ones for killing blows, but then the basic attack is so bad you never have a reason to use is after the first planet. What a waste of effort.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cool-looking Guardian moves:

Basic attack (obsolete)
Flurry (obsolete)
That aoe spin-kick/twirl (obsolete? idk Force Sweep is better but has cooldown)
Warding Strikes is decent
Passively blocking blasters with a lightsaber (only seems to happen a lot if I'm overlevelled)

Ugly "I don't remember this from the movies" moves:

Guardian Slash (big dumb chop shockwave thing)
That single target shockwave
Force Sweep
Riposte (why is a defence buff strike a massively over-reaching lunge?)

I can go either way on the interrupt kick.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

Don't forget about Master Strike.

It's pretty good but I'm bad and keep moving during it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I still haven't been able to play since the update due to continual patching.

re: Jedi Knight combat, in summation it suffers from the same problems that its storyline does; all flash and bombast, all the time, with none of the quiet moments that would allow us to actually appreciate the big ones.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When does the 6x xp kick in? I started a new guy to try out Consular and the purple quests are gaining me next to nothing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DXH posted:

Any EU goons getting massive lag spikes connecting to JC from across the pond? I'm trying to get back into this game but it's nearly unplayable, yesterday I spent two hours trying to do the SoR prelude flashpoint because everything was teleporting everywhere and I kept getting disconnected from the server. Any suggestions?

Play on an EU server? My home internet is garbage but the game is silky smooth.

Did the first solo flashpoint and gained just over 3 full levels. Is the consular's lizard man especially good, or are companions so powerful now that they're supposed to be able to clear that content solo? I'm a new player, so it's not like I have any bonuses to things.

Was pretty boring as a result, but at least I can now stealth through most of Coruscant.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Walrus Pete posted:

I started a consular the other day and I'm up to level 36 or so doing virtually nothing but purple (class + main) missions and the solo flashpoints. It's been smooth as hell so far, maybe even too easy. Companions are insanely powerful compared to what they were the last time I played, too. A companion set to healer mode basically makes you invincible.

The lizard man set to tank is beating the game solo for my consular.

Compared to last week the levelling game is an absolute joke, and not much fun at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alter Ego posted:

Personally I'm OK with my companion being able to take on 3 elites at once while I clear other trash.

And then you realise you could just let your companion take care of the trash, too, and life becomes meaningless.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't cheat on your space girlfriends.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anything that makes leveling faster or easier is fine by me. I can't imagine having more fun because my companion is weaker. The sheer volume of trash mobs in this game is kinda ridiculous. This is the only MMO I've played where I kinda want to see the full storylines of each class, and that should be as painless as possible to do.

Tedium is a kind of pain.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Leveling as a stealth class has always felt way different (read: more fun) than any other class. When I got back to my operative after doing some alt stories, and I could stealth past 90% of trash, and immediately escape from mobs if I got knocked down from my speeder, it felt like coming home.

Playing a normal class is like this, only with a little tension because you can potentially be caught. Only need to fight the odd group lingering in a doorway, and it you want to harvest stuff.

It helps that most areas have been cleared out by psychopaths just before you get there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

I have a level 44 companion, and while she is a living buzzsaw in damage mode it's not that exaggerated. Also you have to really go out of your way to get any companion beyond level 10 or so.

If you start a new character your first companion will be 8 before the end of Coruscant (or the Imperial equivalent).

Conversion from old-style points to new Influence short-changed people.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do you even need lots of influence? Aren't conversations unlocked by story progress?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is kissing as far as these space girlfriends will go?

This isn't an adequate replacement for a real life at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mark Meer is funny.

Is it not Mark Meer?

• Locked thread