Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Many more examples in the link. loving hilarious.

Mods, please change thread title to Homeland is not a Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm like 90% sure the CIA isn't trying to kill Carrie

not that i would blame them if they were

Quinn stopped decoding the message too soon, it was actually "MATHISON needs protection"

That was a great episode, loved the twist at the end where During thanks her for saving his life then we find out that's not what happened at all.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Remember this is the show that had Saul get Carrie committed as a long con. I would say we don't have a clue what's really going on yet.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Why do you think Saul?

Because

Zwille posted:

Probably because Saul is the one who's supposed to be feeding Quinn the targets.

Though, maybe he's being handed them by someone else to give to Quinn and doesn't read them? *shrug*

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Zwille posted:

The pleading "Bitte" from the ISIL recruiter sounded weird, almost like she was asking him to repeat something he'd said.

It's probably because I'm from Berlin but a lot of stuff about the locales seemed off. The post office looks like something in South Germany, but he's stalking the ISIL recruiter in Berlin (by the way, his number plate reads B-ND :laffo: edit: Ah, nope, B-NB) - I guess for Americans the distances in Germany are laughable. The post office sign also looks fake as gently caress but I guess they didn't have the rights to use the real logo or whatever.

Living in Germany (but not Berlin), it's interesting to see how they present the country this season. The Local ( :rolleyes: ) had an OK article about what the show has gotten right/wrong so far

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

The Local posted:

Anyone who has even glimpsed Berlin knows that the attire for "young people" tends to be black, black, more black and beards.

Hahaha, they're literally hipsters writing from their little filter bubble. No, not everyone dresses black.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
From a european point of view, I quite enjoyed this season so far. For americans it might seem novel or exciting in a cold war 2.0 kinda way to set it in berlin, but for me it just makes it feel closer to home, which seems fitting for a show with such a global perspective. I'm not from Berlin or even Germany, but I've been enough times to partly recognise a few of the places. It's kinda fun! I'm so used to watching stuff set in the states, it's almost like they're filming next door :)

aaaaaaanyway, I doubt anyone is interested, but I spent around an hour finding out what phone Quinn uses to call in the isis girls, photograph the shot recruiter and then deposits in the postbox. It's a black Nokia 515, which was released in 2013. I thought Nokia stopped making phones, but nope. This is one of the nerdiest things I've spent time on, I might just have to buy the new version of this phone (to use for backpacking, travelling, etc) just to feel better about wasting my time...

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

Eh, that's pretty lovely. "We don't like that this show misrepresents the Middle East, so now that they've reached out to us for help in presenting a more authentic Middle East let's trick them and make sure the graffiti in the show is inauthentic. Then let's make sure everybody knows what we did and how cool we are!"

lol if you actually think a show that's arguably about middle eastern relations with the west, and doesn't have a single staffer who reads arabic, is hiring arabic 'artists' for one part of an episode, to create graffiti, to show an 'authentic' middle east

like are you just stupid and racist as a loving doorknob naturally or did you have to put practice into your mental gymnastics

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Iron Rose posted:

No no, I don't mean her, I mean the name he got at the end of the latest episode. It looked like it was Carrie's name but I honestly couldn't tell since his handwriting was loving awful and they showed it for maybe a second.

Me: "What the gently caress is 'MATH 150' supposed to mean? He's going to college?"
*hours later*
oooooooooooooooooooooh

Yeah that was silly hard to read.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ernie. posted:

lol if you actually think a show that's arguably about middle eastern relations with the west, and doesn't have a single staffer who reads arabic, is hiring arabic 'artists' for one part of an episode, to create graffiti, to show an 'authentic' middle east

like are you just stupid and racist as a loving doorknob naturally or did you have to put practice into your mental gymnastics

Wait, doorknobs are racist?

And are you implying that it's racist to present the Middle East as having graffiti? Because it absolutely does.

And why did you put "artists"in quotes?

And how is anything I said even remotely racist?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Personally I get all my information about the middle east and government agencies from the TV show Homeland. Also mental health. And sex ed.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
The graffiti thing was a very childish move. I understand the desire by artists to be subversive, but ultimately this particular stunt only got Homeland more press coverage, and the way that the show runner handled the situation totally defused any "controversy."

I feel like there are more convincing arguments to be made about the show's (problematic?) racial politics than "they didn't work very hard translating some dialogue," but maybe that's just me...

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
That was aimed more at the "Informative" idea than "racist".

I have no opinion on the islamophibia/racism stuff, but I do know there is a lot of sentiment out there that the show fails on those fronts from the people those attitudes impact. There's a reason these artists did what they did.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
Well, the show has the effect of giving me temporary positive feelings towards authoritarianism while I'm watching the protagonists poo poo all over the law and Muslim and dissident human rights to save the day. This of course fades with my state of immersion once the episode's over, but I'm sure there are plenty of jackasses who get the 24 effect from shows like this where they think it represents plausible real life situations and that our country should be deciding policy based upon its fictional Islamic boogeymen scenarios (remember Scalia and his views on torture justified by the show 24?).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Well, the show has the effect of giving me temporary positive feelings towards authoritarianism while I'm watching the protagonists poo poo all over the law and Muslim and dissident human rights to save the day. This of course fades with my state of immersion once the episode's over, but I'm sure there are plenty of jackasses who get the 24 effect from shows like this where they think it represents plausible real life situations and that our country should be deciding policy based upon its fictional Islamic boogeymen scenarios (remember Scalia and his views on torture justified by the show 24?).

:agreed:

And while I don't think any sane person would ever consider 24 a realistic portrayal of real life, it might be a real danger with supposedly high brow shows like homeland. I don't see anything wrong with the artists calling them out on their bullshit.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
:tviv:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Ahahaha, really? This show has never made me feel anything positive towards the CIA or the establishment. I've never felt anything other than "this is all super hosed up". For me the entertainment is just watching the well-acted characters struggle against the hopelessly horrible world.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Any specific examples of Homeland being racist or whatever? Genuinely curious.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

nickmeister posted:

Any specific examples of Homeland being racist or whatever? Genuinely curious.

I don't even know where to begin.

Homeland promo poster for season 4(the Pakistan season):

Real life pictures of a Karachi mall:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Begin somewhere else maybe? One visually compelling promo image that shows Carrie surrounded by women in Burqas (nowhere does it say that this is what every single place in pakistan looks like, in fact iirc the depiction of pakistan in the show itself was rather more diverse) is not quite as "Gah, can't you see?!? it's like totally racist!" as you seem to suggest it is.

Let's add another dimension to this whole thing, let's demonstrate that homeland is significantly more racist than other american television shows and/or that its treatment of the somewhat sensitive 'international terrorism' theme it attempts to portray isn't generally very progressive and inoffensive by the standard of almost any mainstream TV show ever that dealt with it.

Am I the only one who remembers that in the first season of the show it had the Bin-Laden dude provide a compelling personal reason for his hatred to the united states?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Let's add another dimension to this whole thing, let's demonstrate that homeland is significantly more racist than other american television shows

Nah, lets not. Someone asked about examples of Homeland being racist and I provided one.

There are so many iconic Pakistani things you could choose for a promo poster, there is absolutely no reason to get racist with it. Imagine the outcry if the inevitable Israel season is going to end up with the same promo poster, but the burkha women replaced with crook-nosed orthodox jews trying to sell Carrie a loan refinancing. I mean, it would be hilarious, but just as racist.

But anyway, I don't want to poo poo up this poor thread, so I'm out.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Cause depictions of muslims wearing traditional muslim clothing are the same as antisemitic caricatures. Gotcha.

I'm pretty sure that the promo poster was actually meant to portray Carrie as red riding hood surrounded by a pack of wolves and given the context of the season the wolves aren't actually the people of Pakistan (some of which make common cause with Carrie) but rather the international intelligence community. But yeah, offensive, I guess.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 19, 2015

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

Nah, lets not. Someone asked about examples of Homeland being racist and I provided one.

There are so many iconic Pakistani things you could choose for a promo poster, there is absolutely no reason to get racist with it. Imagine the outcry if the inevitable Israel season is going to end up with the same promo poster, but the burkha women replaced with crook-nosed orthodox jews trying to sell Carrie a loan refinancing. I mean, it would be hilarious, but just as racist.

But anyway, I don't want to poo poo up this poor thread, so I'm out.

You sound like the worst IMO. Thus weeks show was intense. I have a feeling quinn is going to debrief carrie / provide protection at a second location where the CIA can't find her. And something sinister is going on with Saul and the lady- I think there's more to her than we've been shown so far.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
Homeland doesn't give a favorable portrayal of Muslims, but it doesn't really give a nice picture of anyone. Pretty much every organization in Homeland is portrayed as morally gray (at best) or pure evil.

I would also argue that Homeland is just entertainment and it doesn't have an obligation to educate people about the nuances of the middle east and foreign policy. If that's what you're looking for go to PBS or NPR, take a poli sci class at your community college or something. Do anything other than watching a TV show.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
so what were we supposed to conclude from Saul sleeping with the red head?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
also what were we supposed to conclude from the hacker guy giving the journalist more files that turned out to be an offensive video, then telling his friend that he actually gave her the files?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

also what were we supposed to conclude from the hacker guy giving the journalist more files that turned out to be an offensive video, then telling his friend that he actually gave her the files?

My guess is that his friend thought he might do something like that, so replaced his copy of the files with that picture so he could go off and sell them himself.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I thought so but then again the friend seemed genuinely angry and worried when the guy told him.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

I thought so but then again the friend seemed genuinely angry and worried when the guy told him.

I read it more as disappointment and lack of surprise.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Since they introduced this whole "sins of the past" stuff, maybe they are bringing back some villain from the last few seasons. My money is on the Iranian intelligence guy, which would fit nicely with rogue Hezbollah trying to kill Carrie. The CIA tasked the Iranian guy with killing her in the camp and he has the necessary contacts to go around the camp management. :tinfoil:

Also, Homelands portrayal of Germany is just bizarre. They go to these great lengths to film inside the country and get real German actors, they create elaborate sets and do real research. But then actors use words like "Fräulein" or "Abendbrot", stuff that fell out of common use generations ago. Every German actor or workers on the set could have proofread their script and corrected stuff like this. It has to be deliberate at this point. I know nobody outside of Germany gives a poo poo about it, but at some point it must have came up during production and they chose not to correct it. :tinfoil:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Geno posted:

so what were we supposed to conclude from Saul sleeping with the red head?

Another long con? Baited her, baited himself (via her) to keep both of them there?

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Saul is separated from his wife still, isn't he?

Also, everyone in this show is a baddie now. I want Saul and Carrie to be BFFs again.

If Quinn was going to kill Carrie, he would've done it straight away. I hope he has some character development here to return him to a vulnerable believable human being instead of the ridiculous murderbot that he has been so far this season.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
To anyone wondering where they had seen Carries boyfriend before, he was the drunk German solider celebrating the birth of his son in the basement bar in Inglorious Basterds.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
my belief is Saul knew Quinn wouldn't kill Carrie and that he would just bring her to him

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Geno posted:

my belief is Saul knew Quinn wouldn't kill Carrie and that he would just bring her to him

Really? I thought Saul wants Carrie dead; he can use her as a potential scapegoat for several events, such as the German intelligence files leak.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Somebody might end up getting waterboarded.

With marinara sauce.

Or grits.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I just hope that the whole "Carrie tries to channel her inner superspy through the use of her secret unmedicated crazy powers" thing doesn't make another appearance.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just hope that the whole "Carrie tries to channel her inner superspy through the use of her secret unmedicated crazy powers" thing doesn't make another appearance.

Yeah, they need to give that poo poo a rest. At least it didn't work for her this time, probably made things worse, even. But then you have to ask what the whole point of doing it was. I guess it did serve the purpose of Carrie's boyfriend flat out telling her she's done some horrible poo poo, and that looks like it might be a theme going forward. Not sure that was worth another off-the-meds episode though.

Still, season is holding it together so far and I'm enjoying it.

There's no way Saul knows about Carrie being on the kill list. You don't get that high in the CIA by sending a hitman who is/was in love with the target.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

There's no way Saul knows about Carrie being on the kill list. You don't get that high in the CIA by sending a hitman who is/was in love with the target.

It's not a kill order. We didn't see the final message, maybe. When Saul says "I'm working on it" as to who is going to be the fall guy, he means Carrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

emanresu tnuocca posted:

well, they gotta submit something for the Emmy's

• Locked thread