Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Glenn Greenwald published the Snowden stuff in the USA and I'm pretty sure the annoying reporter is based on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Yeah the writing this episode was pretty terrible. Entertaining episode though.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm purely speculating from tv "knowledge" here, but how would Alisons little shooting gallery stand up to forensic scrutiny? No gun powder residue on the dead professor's hand, a close range/point blank entry wound on her shoulder, blood spatter of her partner indicating he was most certainly not shot from where the professor was standing/sitting...

Every investigator in tv history would have called bullshit the second he entered that room.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

She only needed to fool them for a couple of hours before the attack went through. After that it's retirement on the black sea coast.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

mcbexx posted:

I'm purely speculating from tv "knowledge" here, but how would Alisons little shooting gallery stand up to forensic scrutiny? No gun powder residue on the dead professor's hand, a close range/point blank entry wound on her shoulder, blood spatter of her partner indicating he was most certainly not shot from where the professor was standing/sitting...

Every investigator in tv history would have called bullshit the second he entered that room.

ya, that was kind of weird, she could at least have shot her partner from the arab's position instead of shoting her partner at close range from his left making it pretty obvious what happened.
Also as someone from Germany I don't get how Carrie couldn't sent her message. There is no reason why she shouldn't have reception in the middle of Berlin, I know it's a TV trope but it still felt out of place and was unnecessary in any case (just have Saul ignore his phone for some time for whatever reason).
Besides that I'm used to the normal amount of Homeland-incompetence but there is no reason why you would just evacuate the airport and then ignore all other possible threats => the moment Carrie hinted at a possible terror attack at the train station they should have taken action there to but I guess that way Carrie couldn't have been once again the only person to personally stop a terror attack. It really has gotten stupid at this point and it's pretty much 24 levels of story telling (we even have the moles now too...).

spankmeister posted:

She only needed to fool them for a couple of hours before the attack went through. After that it's retirement on the black sea coast.

Well, in the Homeland-universe the logic is probably that she knew she could just walk out of the hospital...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I dunno, i've had all sorts of reception issues inside of airports all over the country over the last 5-6 years or so. Especially if i'm on a lower level. Her not being able to send a text doesn't seem unusual.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's the train station. It's been a while since I've been at Berlin Hbf but it didn't look like she was on one of the lower levels so signal should be good.

It's a pretty silly thing to nitpick over I think.

:airquote: "Amsterdam" :airquote: was way, way worse imho.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i thought that was a classic homeland "stupid but entertaining" episode

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

mcbexx posted:

This was my immediate thought, yeah. A contact shot to the shoulder screams self-inflicted. Allison probably wasn't expecting the authorities to buy her story for very long, and shooting herself just bought her a little bit of time.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The music to this episode was great, really helped to build up the tension.

And Quinn...actually I feel bad for the actor, Rupert Friend. Yes, he's still on the show but what's it like on set this season? Carrie investigating all the terrorist activity going on, Saul and Dar Adal having great dramatic scenes and every week he gets his script to see:

QUINN:
(Momentarily regains consciousness)
Urgh....
(Passes out)

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 15, 2015

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
By now Allison should be eating borst and blini on the banks of the Volga in her new dacha :allears:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Pretty good episode, the cliffhanger was mean.

Was the "Amsterdam" a couple episodes back fake, like somebody here hinted? I've never been there but I know there's a part of Potsdam that's heavily influenced by Dutch architecture and even called Dutch quarter. How convenient. :v: also about that episode, when Allison rode out to Nikolassee/Potsdam, did anyone else notice the extras looking straight into the camera as she entered the trains? Did they use real people and ask for permission afterwards or what? It was weird.

It was good TV all in all but I still thought it was hilarious they claimed the threat was for BER because at this point BER stands for both airports in Berlin, TXL and SXF. The big one that's supposed to replace those two (and is slated to open at SXF's site) is still under construction and way over deadline and budget. It's a loving running gag in Berlin and I wonder if everyone involved (they filmed in cooperation with a local studio who also did Inglourious Basterds too) just said gently caress it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zwille posted:

Pretty good episode, the cliffhanger was mean.

Was the "Amsterdam" a couple episodes back fake, like somebody here hinted? I've never been there but I know there's a part of Potsdam that's heavily influenced by Dutch architecture and even called Dutch quarter. How convenient.

Yeah it was filmed at the Holländisches Viertel. I suppose its the closest thing to Amsterdam they had in the area but while it looks sort of similar at the same time it's not the same at all. And I happen to know that the actual Amsterdam was eager to have them shoot there I see no other reason than budgetary for them not to just have gone to the real Amsterdam. Kind of lazy imo.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Hahaha that's great! I already thought the autobahn kinda looked like the Berlin Stadtautobahn around Wedding/Westhafen.

I mean what percentage of Homeland viewers would even notice?

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now
I'm very proud of Homeland because that last episode shows at some point the writers learned that there at least two kinds of Muslims, Sunnis and Shiites, and they aren't best buds with each other.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

HOT SQUATS posted:

I'm very proud of Homeland because that last episode shows at some point the writers learned that there at least two kinds of Muslims, Sunnis and Shiites, and they aren't best buds with each other.

It is almost like Islam is a real religion with theological schisms that mirror political and social history? Strange.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Yeah it was filmed at the Holländisches Viertel. I suppose its the closest thing to Amsterdam they had in the area but while it looks sort of similar at the same time it's not the same at all. And I happen to know that the actual Amsterdam was eager to have them shoot there I see no other reason than budgetary for them not to just have gone to the real Amsterdam. Kind of lazy imo.

It's a huge deal both money and time wise to travel and film at another distant location. TV shows are tight on both those things, it's not like they just shrugged and thought ehhh too lazy can't be bothered going to Amsterdam today, lets just do it down the road. Also nobody outside of Germany or Amsterdam would notice.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
That was a hell of a finale.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

That was a great season all around. Well done, Homeland.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Episode 11 might contain the most completely idiotic scenes I've ever seen on a tv show lmao

The writing on this show really went to poo poo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Poor Quinn got Million Dollar Baby'd. :smith:

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I liked that season. It had flaws for sure but great all around.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That was a drat good season of television. Hopefully they can come back strong again next year if they're going to be renewed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
also renewed for season 6! Which surprised me honestly, this felt like a series finale.

I also totally called Otto being into Carrie like, 6 episodes ago (not in thread).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Really enjoyed that finale, and the season as a whole. If anything I think the last two seasons are concrete proof that they should have jumped ship on the Brody plotline after S1, since it dragged on past its natural resolution and they seem more than capable of crafting a quality spy thriller independent of that hook.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Good show, good season. Poor Quinn.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Really? I thought that was just as weak as last seasons finale.

jwnin
Aug 3, 2003
That final scene with Saul, goddamn.

Given all that happened this season, it seems very likely that Quinn was killed off, though you don't know for sure. Not sure why.

Carrie's final discussion with Otto was out of left field. I'm your boss, and now I want you to be my wife now that you and Jonas are no longer an item. She should absolutely go back and work with Saul; this German arrangement was good for a single season.

Overall , really great season, but the finale makes me a little worried about season six.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

jwnin posted:

That final scene with Saul, goddamn.

Given all that happened this season, it seems very likely that Quinn was killed off, though you don't know for sure. Not sure why.

Because they want to be able to bring him back after all. Apart from cheapening the final scene in this season, that also doesn't make sense because how is someone who has been in a terrorist threat video broadcast all over the world ever going to go back into the kind of work he did? Or maybe he could be next season's Dana, and we just follow him on his horribly boring normal day adventures as a barely functioning human being.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Seconding that this was overall a good season and it really felt like a series finale.

EricBauman posted:

Or maybe he could be next season's Dana, and we just follow him on his horribly boring normal day adventures as a barely functioning human being.

You just reminded me of how much the tone of the series shifted from dumb bullshit drama to this. A good development imo.

The Iron Rose posted:

I also totally called Otto being into Carrie like, 6 episodes ago (not in thread).

That was really obvious.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am also not quite sure if Quinn actually received the Chief Bromden treatment from Carrie.
Who knows? Maybe Carrie was daydreaming some angels came riding down on those sunbeams and told her to take good care of Quinn? Has she been back on her meds?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if next season opens with Quinn in a wheelchair, living a happy, married life with Carrie when suddenly a yooge huge threat to the western world pulls them right back into the spygame. Not saying it's likely, I am saying I would not be surprised.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I would watch Quinn in a wheelchair killing terrists.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Bad final, I enjoyed Lahore more than Berlin overall I think.

The Iron Rose posted:

also renewed for season 6! Which surprised me honestly, this felt like a series finale.

Didn't Otto at one point say to Jonas that it was a mistake by him to have hired her because she was crazy?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I'd really like the terrorists to pull of an attack. Just once

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'd really like the terrorists to pull of an attack. Just once

well, the CIA did get bombed end of s2 or s3

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Boatswain posted:

Didn't Otto at one point say to Jonas that it was a mistake by him to have hired her because she was crazy?

Yes though at the time I thought he was just deflecting questions since he was actively helping her but couldn't tell him.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

No Safe Word posted:

Yes though at the time I thought he was just deflecting questions since he was actively helping her but couldn't tell him.

Seems now that it might have been a combination of that and "Man Jonas, Carrie is super crazy and you should definitely break up with her" to get Jonas out of the way.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
^^^^ You are probably right.

Geno posted:

well, the CIA did get bombed end of s2 or s3

And they did attack the embassy and butcher its personel in the last season. Though that was the taliban and not IS I think?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Quinn needs to just be dead. Dude got shot, gassed, forced back to life, and a major hematoma. This is Jack Bauer/24 levels of recovery already, if they bring him back in any capacity (other than a cameo or two showing him in some form of rehab/recovery) I'd be a little annoyed. MAYBE next season runs across some old footprints of his and they try to get him to remember, but goddamn. I really thought Carrie was going to smother him when she took the monitoring thing off his finger.

Overall though, good season, not great. Pacing felt a little strange at times, and I was really surprised that Saul had Allison executed - seems a little out of character for him, but maybe I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Next year can be half flashbacks, Carrie trying to find out about an old mission by interviewing him in his hospital bed. At least that way, we'd still see him in action without his medical condition becoming ridiculous.

• Locked thread