Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Barrowman will be a series regular in Arrow, Flash and LoT

quote:

TVLine has learned exclusively that akin to the groundbreaking contract that Wentworth Miller segued into at the end of his single-season Legends of Tomorrow run, Barrowman will continue to appear on Arrow and maintain series regular status — but across all of the superhero shows executive-produced by Greg Berlanti, including The Flash and Legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hahaha loving horrible. Why is his character even around anymore?

I'm just waiting for him to show up on the bridge of the Waverider: "How did you get here?" "I'm Ras Al Ghul."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm just waiting for him to show up on the bridge of the Waverider: "How did you get here?" "I'm Ras Al Ghul."

I assume you've watched Legends...this could only improve it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I doubt it will be the best of plots, but I do love Barrowman.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hey, Barrowman could be great but I just hate Merlyn as a character. He can't really be a likable anti-hero if I still know he was responsible for hundreds of innocent deaths in season one, made his daughter kill Sara, and very nearly caused a global nuclear genocide last season.

Then again, this show just shrugs off major offenses that characters do and sticks in a silly joke after it (ex: Felicity making dumb cracks after redirecting a nuclear missle that killed 10,000+ people, something she will never bring up or psychologically deal with on-screen again). I'd love to see an edit of that episode with disturbing shots of small children having their flesh melted off cut in-between Felicity making jabs at her mother 15 minutes after the blast. Come on Arrow writers, what the gently caress was the point of actually detonating a nuke on this show?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 9, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I could see Merlyn being a vast improvement to being a big bad on Flash at least.

Arrow though I'm sure they'll just keep treating him with kid gloves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I could forgive Slade killing my mother. I could forgive Malcolm killing The Glades, my father, my best friend, my girlfriend, and trying to kill me, my sister, my mother, and friends.

But the girl I cheated on with her sister and mostly used as a doormat for the last few years? There's no forgiving that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oh right, I forgot! Merlyn also actively caused the entire storyline of Legends of Tomorrow to happen (and subsequent domination of the world a few hundred years later) because he scooped up Vandal Savage's remains. Ugh! Then again, I'm not sure if that would have mattered because wouldn't Savage just have come back anyway? Dunno what the writers were planning with that extra scene...
And then I just saw this in an article from March:

CBR News posted:

CBR News: Despite some questionable actions, you have always maintained that Malcolm Merlyn is "a misunderstood hero." Why does he deserve that title instead of "villain?"

John Barrowman: Malcolm has everyone's best intentions at heart, although he might not go about what he does in the proper way. I would also argue that statement because everything that Malcolm Merlyn has done, if you go back and look at it, Oliver Queen has done it, too. Oliver has manipulated people. He's held people hostage. He's either killed or injured people to facilitate his own agenda or to help others. That's exactly what Malcolm Merlyn does. However, Malcolm doesn't have the team of people around him to make him think that it's okay. So, that's why I call him a misunderstood hero.
Even John Barrowman is delusional about the character! The guy needs to loving die, I don't care how popular the actor is.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 9, 2016

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I think what makes Merlyn worth keeping around and appearing on the other shows is his goals are already pretty generally vague and hes chaotic and we already accept that. He likes to stir poo poo up. He doesnt have to be the big bad, and because of the previously mentioned chaos and poo poo stirring he can screw things up for the heroes without the writers having to make the real big bad goddamn everywhere doing everything and then he (Merlyn) can just disappear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

quote:

Malcolm has everyone's best intentions at heart

Nah, pretty sure when push comes to shove he was only looking out for #1. Barrowman you stupid as gently caress.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Nah, pretty sure when push comes to shove he was only looking out for #1. Barrowman you stupid as gently caress.
[/quote]

Yep even his "love" for Thea is from his not wanting to feel bad about her death like he did her mother. He's protecting himself, and when Thea steps out of line or does something that makes him feel less guilt for her, he ditches/drugs/manipulates until she comes around

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If better written that could very well be Malcolm. He could very well be Oliver But Ruthless, and help represent why Oliver needs to keep himself in control. He could be sympathetic because he's looking for the greater good, but always goes too far in its service, and his evil represents why Oliver Going Too Far. He could alternate from Antagonist to Ally from this, switching between helping Team Arrow to Team Arrow needing stop him because his methods are too extreme.

But this Arrow and he brainwashed his own daughter into murdering someone soooooooo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/751906592950513664

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Why the gently caress do half of those responses have #Olicity :psyduck:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scyantific posted:

Why the gently caress do half of those responses have #Olicity :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure the Olicity fandom is all the series has left. God knows that the people who wanted a comic book show already left.

Also Barrowman seems to have forgotten season 1 was long ago. At that point Malcolm was very definitely "Oliver, but ruthless" and someone who seemed to actually want to do the right thing, it's just his idea of the right thing was murdering a lot of people. By S3 it's very obvious the writers have stopped giving a gently caress about writing him correctly and now he's only looking out for himself though.

By S3 it's very obvious the writers have stopped giving a gently caress about writing in general, too.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He should be the overarching villain that is pushing the seasons villain against Oliver while pretending to be his kinda friend like he does now. Then whenever they decide to put the show out of its misery he can be the final bad guy to kill. But the writers don't have enough subtlety to pull it off.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Thea should have murdered Malcom years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Proposition Joe posted:

Thea should have murdered Malcom years ago.

Look what the internet does when a CW show kills off a gay character, do you think anyone at CW wants to see what happens when they kill off a character played by an actual gay man?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The 100 reference is really out of place.

I'm firmly on Team "Malcolm should have been murdered twenty times by now". We've now had two years of the writers literally twisting themselves into knots ten times a season to justify Oliver not killing him.

Directly responsible for the death of Tommy, Sara, drugging and mind-raping Thea, and kidnapping Oliver's own goddamn son.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If the Suicide Squad series was a thing, Malcom would've been pitched there a long time ago and we wouldn't be talking about this

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Malcolm waltzing into Star Labs excited to spout his catchphrase only to be disappointed that nobody asked him how he got in because Star Labs has an open door policy will be peak Flegendsoftomarrowverse.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the better characterization is that he cares about Thea (and Star City sorta) but he cares MORE about power and control, that's why he will always pick to lead the LoA or join Dahrk's organization. And that would make sense for someone who lost their wife to senseless violence.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Malcolm waltzing into Star Labs excited to spout his catchphrase only to be disappointed that nobody asked him how he got in because Star Labs has an open door policy will be peak Flegendsoftomarrowverse.

*Flashegendsoftomarrowverse :flashfact:

After seeing the synopsis, the posts here, and that one dude's imgur/reddit reinterpretations of the episodes I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch the last 3-4 episodes. The show has become straight unwatchable to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shouldn't Supergirl be in that word fusion too?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not yet, at least.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shouldn't Supergirl be in that word fusion too?

Following standard Nintendo naming conventions circa 1991, as of next season, just add "super" to the front; problem solved.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Disappointing thing: We will never see Cat Grant just brush off Merlyn's catchphrase by demanding Ray get her a latte.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/752882395859128323

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I literally have no idea what the hell any of that means but I did enjoy the guy posting the driver puking over the side of the car in response.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/752954849835163648

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That goddamned wig.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Looks like fan may have meat-tube hosed that left peck...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That goddamned wig.
He looks like a young Michael Landon.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Man year 5 Oliver is gonna have to basically :black101: everyone to impress me, cause year 4 I think was definitely the weakest of them yet. Felt like goddamn current S4 Oliver on the island 99% of the time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm more excited for all the flashbacks they'll need to do with him in super long hair/beard wigs to match up with the pilot episode.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here's more info on season 5

And of course they're still trying to justify killing off Laurel.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Maybe Oliver and the S5 big bad will team up because Malcolm annoys the ever living poo poo out of them

And maybe finally Thea tells Oliver it's okay to kill Malcolm and stop worrying about her so much

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

quote:

Those won't be the only new aspects of "Arrow" next season. The team will also get a new bunker, once which appears to have multiple levels. "We wanted to have different ways to enter and exit it on a much bigger scale, since we have more characters coming in and out,"

Cause security and the locks on the previous Arrow Caves weren't bad enough.

:mad: "Merlyn?!? How did you get in???"
:smug: "...because I am Ra's Al Guuuuhahahah just kidding you left basement level 3, subsection Δ, door B unlocked again seriously you idiots should be more careful."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It is goddamn hilarious that they didn't get more than a season out of that huge fancy expensive-looking bunker set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duke Chin posted:

Cause security and the locks on the previous Arrow Caves weren't bad enough.

:mad: "Merlyn?!? How did you get in???"
:smug: "...because I am Ra's Al Guuuuhahahah just kidding you left basement level 3, subsection Δ, door B unlocked again seriously you idiots should be more careful."

why did we rent the warehouse with 40 skylights???

Just lmao that they want more ways for people to enter the arrow cave. Maybe just don't have people walk straight into it from stage left every 8 minutes so it has the illusion of being a secret place that ~5 people know about.

• Locked thread