Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was fun. Not the greatest thing ever, but a solidly entertaining way to spend an hour.

Also, where's Deadpool at? Is X-O the new mod supreme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The writers have alluded to season 3 going off track largely because they stuck to some nebulous "plan" even when it was clear it wasn't working at all.

Let them improvise a little as they go, for chrissakes.

Season 3 felt VERY designed, almost always to the show's disadvantage.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I have to admire the creative team for going ALL IN on the batshit crazy Hawkgirl backstory, but lordy. Those Egypt flashbacks were "high school drama production for the non-drama kids" bad.

I'll always love JLU's interpretation of hawkgirl, but this was a pretty solid two-hander.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I can't figure out if having several conversations reminding us that Felicity is jewish before trying to gas her was tasteless or smart.

Also can't figure out why Diggle, Thea, and Felicity just waltzed away when captured. Like I get that Thea kung fu'ing enemies in public would be problematic, but Diggle's trained military.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm so loving happy that lazarus pits are off the table, at least for now.

Always a cheap device since their inception, they are literally a "Break Glass In Case of Writer gently caress-Up" card.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nate Falls posted:

Not like the Arrow writers are above pulling even stupider plot devices out of their asses to compensate. Hell, they cured "stabbed through the heart by a heart stabbing expert and then fell off a god drat cliff" with some god drat Chinese herbs and spices.

edit: VVVV fine, stabbed purposefully by a literal killing people by stabbing them expert.

Thanks for reminding me. For me, that is the show's low point. The whole "nah, he was only mostly dead.", "just kidding, we used unexplained herbs", "no one will ever mention this ever agin." schtick was mind boggingly awful.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its not like telling stories about Green Arrow is Liberal automatically created good stories. There's plenty of overreaching dreck through the years; I remember Judd Winick's Arrow being very political and not in a good way. At all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Katana still has some MYSTICAL ASIAN HEALING HERBS to bring back whoevers in the grave anyway.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Didn't they do a "Diggle's corrupt CO from Afghanistan returns as a villain" episode a year or two ago already?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

You'd think, but Thea would probably be pissed and Oliver has shown a strange level of "honor" with regard to Malcolm in the past.

Counterpoint: Last season was loving awful, especially when it came to inventing an ever changing list of reasons why Oliver just didn't kill Malcolm and be done with it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I contend that season 3 of arrow only fell apart after a decent opening half.

Killing Sara and letting the narrative spin its wheels was far, far better than the garbage in the second half. In particular, the whole "Oliver is brainwashed off-screen but not really but Rhas believes it because he is a goddamn tool" is easily the dumbest, most infuriating arc the show ever did.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Probably unrelated, but Deathstroke will almost certainly be a huge part of WB Montreal's (unannounced but very obvious) Suicide Squad game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite fight scene was the climactic Oliver and Rhas fight on the dam. And by favorite I mean "let's shoot this in the dark, have them wear identical clothing, and have Oliver win for no loving reason at all."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As an aside, the animated version of under the Hood is way better than the original comic.

Finally watched this week's episode. Thank god we've knocked out the League. Sad how much they nerfed and depowered the league assassins over the past two seasons. They went from one assassin being able to nearly fight Oliver to a standstill, to random mooks that fight worse than street thugs.

I think it might actually be worse than Buffy's supervampires in season seven.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Reversing Barbara Gordon's disability was one of the dumbest moves DC ever did. All of the best Barbara Gordon stories were told while she was oracle - to the point where I'd argue its essential to her character.

Much as I love the DCAU's streamlining of many comic elements, including Batgirl basically becoming Dick Grayson's replacement for a period of time, I really did miss Oracle.

Arrow's handled Felicity's disability well, I guess. It truthfully hasn't impacted the larger season much - we didn't even get an episode with Oliver and the Arrow-Crew reacting and adjusting to her injury.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

The new Batgirl of Burnside series is fantastic; I'd much rather have this than Oracle in current DC books.

We didn't need an episode of the crew reacting and adjusting because it changed nothing for the team dynamic. It wasn't taking Diggle out of the field and putting him behind a desk. It was taking Felicity from her office chair and computer and putting her at a wheel chair and computer.

Did not know that the new batgirl is good - I'll have to check it out.

I'm frankly just bitter that Cassandra Cain was so casually tossed aside a few years ago.

What I wouldn't give to see Cassandra (or her father) show up on Arrow. I'd say its impossible but we somehow got a version of Nyssa.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

That was like 45 minutes of good with 2 minutes of bad at the end.

Follow me for a second here. For those of you who loved watching Scrubs there was that whole plot of JD and Elliot always getting together just to break up. Finally, the creator of the show either end it for good or write them as somewhat mature adults because this is getting awful. They need to do the same thing here. Either write find a good way for them to interact and be together or separate them for good. The ONLY reason you do something like this is to milk the drama out of it and that is gone now.

Still liking the season so far though.

Are you using Scrubs as a good or bad example of the trope? Because Scrubs largely kept JD and Elliot as friends for years without forcing the romance angle.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Vixen could be a far better show than Legends of Going Back A Few Decades.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How has Dahrk not realized Oliver is green arrow? This makes literally no sense.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just watched this week's episode.

Did the stunt coordinator just not show up or something? Atrocious action scenes. Damien Dahrk just Vader'ed really hard and when he did throw a punch you could clearly see the stunt double multiple times. Also some hilarious bits with the rest of the cast, with me spotting one soldier being touched by Thea and immediately went flying.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I liked Dahrk's powers when they seemed governed by some sort of logic. Last week he was just force choking people left and right for no real reason.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite fight scene was when Oliver and Rhas Al Ghul swung wildly at each other in the dark, wearing black outfits.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like we're not watching the same show. I always feel like Oliver doesn't win as much as he should given his background. He got obliterated by Ra's Al Ghul. Fuckin Anarky beat him up. Double Down beat him up. Vandal Savage beat him up. Hell, it was 2 episodes ago that Captain Lance shot the demolition dude so Oliver could finish defusing the bombs, right? Him trouncing Malcolm was catharsis for me. The actual realization of "Yeah, a guy who's been ninja training for 8 years and is younger and healthier should probably win."

This is also known as the Batman Problem, where the needs of the story require Batman to be evenly matched against a random plot critical mook.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The show can still do some pretty bitchin fight scenes.

But I felt like the back half of last year's story really saw a drop off in their quality with the ninja's getting punked like the foot clan every episode.

And this year we've got Team Arrow beating up the same endless Dahrk goons, and some of those have been really and truly terrible. Like the hilarious bit where Thea kinda halfassedly hits a guy and he goes flying head first into a vase.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

During the cupid episode, anyone know why they say Thea bought a poo poo-ton of cocaine? Was that just a total lie or some reference to a plot during the gasleak year?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

LOL at someone arguing that Flash is the better show right now. Their second season has been a narrative clusterfuck, completely sidelining the best members of the cast.

Arrow's season has been... hmmmm.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was about to be the first good episode in a while. I bought Diggle's blindspot for his brother. I bought Thea and Malcolm's fight. I bought the decent character work (finally) with Laurel.

And then the dumbest drat death I've seen a while. As everyone else has pointed out, there's no winning here. The show either killed her off by making it look like an obvious fakeout, or did the world's most obvious fakeout.

Either way.... sigh.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Roy and Laurel are actually similar in that the writers literally forgot about each character and then, when they needed to increase stakes, decided to have them exit the show.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh god, I totally forgot about MAGICAL ASIAN HEALING HERBS.

In a weird way, this season has somehow been worse than last year. Last year started out fairly crap (fridging Sara) and never really picked up enough steam beyond a few scattered episodes. This season started out goddamn great, but really has hit the skids in the back half.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I peaced out after they pointlessly killed Laurel. I made the right decision, didn't I?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just found my old review of Arrow's pilot that I wrote for a paid blogging gig.

Man, those were happier times.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wrong thread gents.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 12, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ManSedan posted:

I've been rewarding this on Netflix. Season 1 was okay but season 2 is so good ugggghhh what happened.

Rewarding really is a good term for it.

I remember when Season 2 led to the entire thread going WOOOOO THIS IS THE BEST SHOW! SO IMPROVED SO MUCH LIKE

We all thought the show had taken The Leap to great TV storytelling. Now we know is what a leap off a cliff. And no amount of magical asian herbs can bring it back.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

McDonough also crushed it on Band of Brothers too. Which makes his turn as Dum Dum Dugan even better.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

I think I heard it on a podcast from some guy whos done a bunch of TV but it kind of made sense: show writers for the most part are people who come from pretty well off families, go to college prep, then some ivy league college, and finally get jobs writing scripts and because of that they have really stunted social lives and life experiences and so have no real depth to draw on for how 'normal' people talk and interact. I mean if the show is about rich white people thats in their wheelhouse, but they rely on tropes and cliches for everything else because thats the crutch they have (character is in a gang? he has to call everyone 'dawg', constantly. CSI practically writes itself!). Then of course they become execs too. Thats not to say there aren't screen writers who are the complete opposite out there, obviously.

There's a few issues that compound to give us a very limited pool of showrunners. For one thing, almost all "creative" fields have a huge lack of diversity. Its rare to find a creative writing program that is not Trump Rally White.

Then there's the ugly fact that to be a staff writer you've got to roll the dice and get lucky. You do need a great script; even hacks started with a strong script that somebody somewhere enjoyed. But your odds of getting lucky depend on how long you're willing to work in the Hollywood meatgrinder as an unpaid or sub-minimum wage worker. That's the reason why I largely stick to sending off the occasional script or short story to interested parties and just go with that.

On top of all those factors, you've got a lot of subconscious bias when showrunners hire new writers. Its not a case of latent racism, but your chances of kismet are going to be higher if you're an affable fairly well-off white dude.

The good news here is that the current pool of assistants and spec writers are much more diverse than at any point prior.

To tie this all back to Arrow, The CW actually has a fantastic mentorship program for new writers. They're very selective but if chosen you're basically mentored by current staff and usually write a spec script for a current CW show. I know Arrow has hired a writer or two from the program, as has Supernatural.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its abundantly obvious that The CW superhero shows only have a finite number of decent writers. Legends, Flash, and Arrow were all severely lacking this year.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you want Green Lanterns, go play Lego Batman 3. The back half of the game abandons 90% of the DC universe to faff about on each and every major Green Lantern planet.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The 100 reference is really out of place.

I'm firmly on Team "Malcolm should have been murdered twenty times by now". We've now had two years of the writers literally twisting themselves into knots ten times a season to justify Oliver not killing him.

Directly responsible for the death of Tommy, Sara, drugging and mind-raping Thea, and kidnapping Oliver's own goddamn son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Flashbacks

Season 1: Watch a yuppie become a warrior!
Season 2: Experience the birth of superpowers in the DC Universe, and the tragic tale of Slade Wilson!
Season 3: poo poo, we're out of money. Throw a lantern on that Canadian stop sign, we're good. And add some asians.
Season 4: gently caress it. Caves? Magic?

• Locked thread