Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Hatrocious posted:

Interesting how Constantine chose to scratch his back with the feather of a dead peacock

Best bit, right here.

As an avid follower of Constantine the show, that hit the spot perfectly, but leaves me again with that hollow feeling now that Ryan's gone.

No reason they can't bring in Zatanna now, though. Magic's out of the bag in CWverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I enjoyed Constantine, but yeah, it suffered in a sea of other supernatural-themed shows. It would have been a good idea to go more balls to the wall with it - Swamp Thing, for starters.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I'm not sure if the rules were relaxed on Constantine the show or if the writing was just on the wall by the end but John lighting up in a church on a prayer candle on his show was character perfect.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
As long as Barrowman continues to pop into places randomly and exclaim "I'm Ra's al Ghul", I'm perfectly happy. The more outlandish, the better.

"How did you get Big Belly Burger here in Nanda Parbat?"
"I'm Ra's al Ghul!"

Eventually they bring Manu back to pop out of bushes and point out the obvious to various characters, followed by Barrowman appearing out of nowhere to explain how he stole this week's macguffin with "I'm Ra's al Ghul!". Every. Episode.

And it would be perfection.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

TyrantWD posted:

Someone on of the 4chan threads posted some clips of the Season 1 fights, and it's amazing just how poor the action scenes have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8vO9yYfjE

Why can't we go back to that Arrow? This Felicity & friends show we have now with fight scenes that consist of people pairing up and twirling around without making contact is really dull. Oliver is never going to get to go on adventures to other Earths, or save the timeline from being wiped from existence, so let's get back to the sociopathic vigilante who was dropping bodies all over town - at least that was fun. With Flash and LoT being light-hearted and goofy, it's fine for Arrow to be dark and brutal.

That's not entirely fair. There were a bunch of fight scenes at the end of S3 that were clearly influenced by the stuff on Daredevil and they were universally agreed as badass.

Random thoughts on the episode:

Are rooftops generally ADA Compliant and wheelchair accessible?

Having your super bad rear end elite ninjas that drop with a single punch really defeats any gravitas the League might have. At this point I'd rather the "lol ninjas" never appear again because their "elite warriors" are pointless filler in a fight now. Just stick with the named characters.

Looking forward to the rest of the season being full of hand puns.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I liked the episode and even though I'm a Felicity apologizer I'm starting to get annoyed at this point. However, having Felicity learn she can walk again JUST to heel-turn and walk out on Oliver as the last scene is just loving hilarious all around.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I have a soft spot for Cupid. Gumenick really plays convincing crazy. It's the eyes.

Also, bet line of the night was Diggle's "That's a drat good question."

This season is still better than the last one, but the show feels like it's in a holding pattern. Dahrk has been great, but things still feel like the status quo is unchanged, minus Felicity's outbursts. If you compare where things are now with the beginning of the season, the only things that's really changed is "Ollie is the Arrow. Again." I'm hoping that Lance's situation helps shake things up a little bit.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Felicity is in the grave and the Felicity in the limo is just another of Oliver's growing headspace friends guilting him.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Please please let that preview be Manu and not a LOT Deathstroke-son thing.

If they give me Manu as Slade again due to time fuckery I'll happily forget all the poo poo from all three shows.

Amell is really good at what he does, and I don't understand the writer's fixation on making him this dour, "all this poo poo is my fault" character all the time. Give me Amell acting like the JLU Green Arrow and I'd probably forgive any sin the show ever committed. It feels like a massive waste to keep Ollie on such a one note all the time, and it's not all that interesting to boot. Happy Ollie early in the season was such a breath of fresh air, but they've redacted almost every hint of it.

I mean, come on. I fell in love with Amell the moment I saw this:

https://vine.co/v/hAxrOTIzBnE

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
How in the hell do you decide to do "magical woman in a DC show" and NOT do Zatanna? Zatanna was part of Justice League Dark with Constantine early on. Hell, even Zatara would have been fine.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

I want to know why he's credited as "Special Appearance By" every episode he's in.

As I recall, anything like "And featuring 'x' as 'y'" and "Special Appearance" are important spots in credits as they specifically call someone out and are coveted for that reason. Usually it's a bigger deal than getting lumped in with the rest of the pleb actors.

Supposedly, anyway.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I did think most of the fight scenes were a bit above some of the more recent ones.

On the other hand I like that a tactical, potentially first-strike weapon like nuclear warheads has a 21 hour charge up time. Somehow during those 21 hours no one managed to bleed the fuel lines or anything.

Edit: How many CEOs have been outsted from Queen/Palmer Tech-Industries now?

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 12, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Neal McDonough is way, way too good for this show.

It was a perfectly average episode, even with the Smoak family crap. I guess damning with faint praise of "I didn't hate it"

I DID hate those dutch angles in the Ollie v Speedy fight, though. Just annoying as all hell.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Neal McDonough is a goddamned treasure. He's been in everything. From Star Trek First Contact to that pretty bland movie version of Timeline, though I always think of him from Band of Brothers.

His cheerful sadism saved S4 from being the worst season and he really out acted everyone else in the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Like, everything I read makes me salivate over the respective CW DC shows, and then I remember how I felt the same way pre-season last year.

If Dolph can be half as good as Neal McDonough we'll be in good hands though.

• Locked thread