Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Visidan posted:

Godamnit, replace something useless instead.

[2 Harpy Loot Boxes]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, WoodenPotatoes's video on the raid actually isn't awful. He seems like he's worried about the same things a lot of people in here are worried about--specifically, profession and elite spec balance being so thoroughly off-kilter that Druids are the only real choice to heal, that there are only a few viable choices for condition damage or boon stripping, etc. I watched the video because I thought it would be amusingly grognardy but it really isn't.

God damnit. I'm starting to agree with Arus that raids were a bad idea. And after I typed so many words in their defense, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just like Hi Trahearne, Arus was right all along.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Regret for posting many words on SA is the correct response, no matter what words there were

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Illuyankas posted:

Regret for posting many words on SA is the correct response, no matter what words there were

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah arus called it, time to move to star citizen

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
GW2 is a good game:

Oh and I hope you like circles and don't have epilepsy:

I really like circles

klockwerk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 7, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't remember who made that originally but it's the perfect gw2 megathread image :allears:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh god I went to see what pics I'd posted in the old thread and I have 15 pages worth of posts

kill me

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Illuyankas posted:

Oh god I went to see what pics I'd posted in the old thread and I have 15 pages worth of posts

kill me

You cannot kill that which has no life. Sorry, goon, it's too late :ghost:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Well, it could be worse

Arus has 95 pages

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Well, it could be worse

Arus has 95 pages

if my math is right I had 3,852 posts or 6.8% of the thread total :stare:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

How does it feel to be the voice of reason, you should start a patreon.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
After watching all the attempts on the raid during the weekend, I was actually pretty put at ease over most of my concerns. If anything, they reminded me of the elite missions in GW1. Of course there were certain classes that were preferred over others, but there was still some variety allowed. Monks were the go-to for healing and protection, like Druids will certainly be over water eles and Ventari revs. Necros and Mesmers and Eles were preferred over other damage classes because of their massive variety of heavy AoE damage and strong single-target DPS, but at least in GW2 there are many forms of DPS from each class, especially after the condi damage revamp. Aggro was controlled through positioning and AI manipulation in the first game, a mechanic that was regarded very favorably over the traditional Taunt mechanic in other games even ten years ago, and now we are seeing toughness-heavy specs luring the bosses to safer locations for the rest of their team.

I've never done any of the traditional raids in other games, so I don't have any experience whatsoever as to what an ideal raid is at all. All I can say was that I liked what I saw from the many streams of people happily losing to this one boss over and over again because they KNEW why they kept failing, and kept trying until they nearly perfected the fight. The mechanics seemed easy to get a grip on just from experiencing it through other players, and I can't wait to try it out for myself when the expansion goes live.

I will say that I would like to see certain specs (healing, toughness, damage) buffed or changed for other classes so that the Druid isn't the only go-to healing spec that pugs will go towards. At least other classes can fill the other roles (Mesmer, Necro, Thief, Rev, or Sigils of Nul for the boon-strips; Any class for condi/power DPS [yeah, even rangers, harhar]; Guards, Revs, Engis, Warriors for tanking/leading the bosses). And yes, the best specs will be sought after by the poopsockiest of the pugs, like the W/G/T/E/E party comp for high-end fractals, but that same thing even happened in the elite dungeons in GW1; there's almost no way to escape that entirely.

Kinda wish the RBG guardians had less generic names, too...

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What was that website that showed what the cheapest way to get your crafting skill was by looking at the trader costs?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
http://gw2crafts.net/

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

ApeHawk posted:

After watching all the attempts on the raid during the weekend, I was actually pretty put at ease over most of my concerns. If anything, they reminded me of the elite missions in GW1. Of course there were certain classes that were preferred over others, but there was still some variety allowed. Monks were the go-to for healing and protection, like Druids will certainly be over water eles and Ventari revs. Necros and Mesmers and Eles were preferred over other damage classes because of their massive variety of heavy AoE damage and strong single-target DPS, but at least in GW2 there are many forms of DPS from each class, especially after the condi damage revamp. Aggro was controlled through positioning and AI manipulation in the first game, a mechanic that was regarded very favorably over the traditional Taunt mechanic in other games even ten years ago, and now we are seeing toughness-heavy specs luring the bosses to safer locations for the rest of their team.

I've never done any of the traditional raids in other games, so I don't have any experience whatsoever as to what an ideal raid is at all. All I can say was that I liked what I saw from the many streams of people happily losing to this one boss over and over again because they KNEW why they kept failing, and kept trying until they nearly perfected the fight. The mechanics seemed easy to get a grip on just from experiencing it through other players, and I can't wait to try it out for myself when the expansion goes live.

I will say that I would like to see certain specs (healing, toughness, damage) buffed or changed for other classes so that the Druid isn't the only go-to healing spec that pugs will go towards. At least other classes can fill the other roles (Mesmer, Necro, Thief, Rev, or Sigils of Nul for the boon-strips; Any class for condi/power DPS [yeah, even rangers, harhar]; Guards, Revs, Engis, Warriors for tanking/leading the bosses). And yes, the best specs will be sought after by the poopsockiest of the pugs, like the W/G/T/E/E party comp for high-end fractals, but that same thing even happened in the elite dungeons in GW1; there's almost no way to escape that entirely.

Kinda wish the RBG guardians had less generic names, too...

This is entirely too reasonable, are you sure you're in the right thread?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I think the guardians had such basic boring models just to let the raid mechanic get some needed testing without spoiling anything neat or interesting about the raid('s first part).

It would be nice if upon release the bosses were replaced with something more interesting.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I am interested in what they'll try next once anet abandon raids, I'm kinda hoping for an open world pvp type area but more focused on pve than wvw is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

maybe one day they'll actually revamp dungeons

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Yes, perfect. Thanks!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

maybe one day they'll actually revamp dungeons

squad dungeons. they're exactly the same as regular dungeons except the mobs and bosses have 1000x more HP and damage but you can bring 50 people into it.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Dungeons and Fractals aren't popular enough to have redesigns or new content I guess it's possible they take another crack at them but I doubt it.

Maybe Polymock.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Hi I've been away for a while, are there still people playing this game? Is there a goon guild? The OP seems like it hasn't been updated in a few years, but maybe the game outlived the thread? Is worth coming back?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
There's a team of students working on emulating the server code. Right now we can only make characters in the main menu but they're hopeful of having Queensdale in a playable state by 2017.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Visidan posted:

Maybe Polymock.

Now there's a PvP mode I can get behind.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Evidently the yellow party dots that show up occasionally (as opposed to the blue party dots) are intended to show where your guildmates are in the open world once they're fixed/fully implemented. I think this is really cool and look forward to seeing 150 little yellow Goon Squad dots running around whenever I open the world map :3:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Everyone shut up look at this hype poo poo.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/651849925282635776

Looking forward to seeing how goddamn huge finishers get in a years time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

I think I'd rather see healing/support not be a dedicated role necessarily, but rather something that multiple party members contribute to while doing other things (bringing into play healing skills like the Chronomancer's Well of Eternity or Tempest's "Wash the Pain Away!", for example). Tanking/control, too.

Doing that, of course, wouldn't really scratch the Zerker meta, but I care less and less about killing off the Zerker meta anyway. The more I play action/semi-action RPG multiplayer games, the more I start to think that "which numbers you stack" is the least interesting way to customize your character. Something I really loved about GW1 was that you didn't really have stats--your build was defined entirely by your loadout, not really what gear you wore. I mean, yeah, your skill points determined a lot, but that never really felt as limiting as the gear stats in GW2 sometimes do. Similarly, GW1 didn't have passive abilities/traits that were just "do 10% more damage," while GW2 does, and anything like that is just destined to be boring to me.

I feel the same way about boons, actually. I'd rather each profession have a couple of really strong, short-lived buffs it can provide, that feel really impactful and unique, rather than having to make sure your group has 25 stacks of Might all the time. That's probably why Mesmer's my favorite class. We're not very good at handing out boons, but we do have a couple of cool, strong single skills like Time Warp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Take my gems

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Take my gems

it's a rank finisher so you'd better get cracking

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

it's a rank finisher so you'd better get cracking

gently caress me sideways

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress me sideways

Time to rejoin Team SFD big boy.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

Take my gems
Bless Zhulik for finally wising up to your schemes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Visidan posted:

I hope there's an eventual finisher that plops a full scale model of Teq down.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Evidently the yellow party dots that show up occasionally (as opposed to the blue party dots) are intended to show where your guildmates are in the open world once they're fixed/fully implemented. I think this is really cool and look forward to seeing 150 little yellow Goon Squad dots running around whenever I open the world map :3:

Everything I know about GOON guild indicates that there'll only be several little dots running around doing things, while 150 of them will be clustered in Divinity's Reach showing their newly bought pants to each other.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Disco Infiva posted:

Everything I know about GOON guild indicates that there'll only be several little dots running around doing things, while 150 of them will be clustered in Divinity's Reach showing their newly bought pants to each other.

My pants smell of rich mahogany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Harrow posted:

I think I'd rather see healing/support not be a dedicated role necessarily, but rather something that multiple party members contribute to while doing other things (bringing into play healing skills like the Chronomancer's Well of Eternity or Tempest's "Wash the Pain Away!", for example). Tanking/control, too.

You're in luck, as every player brings their own healing skill in the new hit action combat MMO Guild Wars 2. Jump in today!

• Locked thread