Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like underwater skills anything were really, really neglected for the Revenant

Welcome to underwater content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like underwater skills were really, really neglected for the Revenant, seeing as how they used to be limited to 1 weapon before a beta patch upping them to 2, but they still only have 1 underwater weapon, but with 2 auto attack skills.

I don't think any of the utility skills worked underwater either. AFAIK the skills lots were just blank :buddy:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't remember who made that originally but it's the perfect gw2 megathread image :allears:
Me

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hi thread, I made a new thread so we have a fresh start for HoT, I'm going to be away for launch so my lawyers advised me to do it now.
Thanks for letting us know in advance that the OP will never be updated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

orcane posted:

Welcome to underwater content.

Remember when people thought there would be an underwater expansion?

Ah, memories. :allears:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
It's coming, we just gotta believe..

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Am I crazy or did class trainers exist at one point that sold you trait books or something.

2012 GW2 was so different to 2015.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Scarlets plant submarines will have their day.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
They did and it was stupid.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ijyt posted:

Am I crazy or did class trainers exist at one point that sold you trait books or something.

2012 GW2 was so different to 2015.

They did. It was something like 50s for the adept book at level 20, 1g for the master book at level 40, and 2g for the grandmaster book at level 60. And you had to pay like 20 or 40s to reset your trait allocation at level 80.

What we have now is sooooooooo much better. You aren't forced into specific trait lines for stats, you can respec at any time out of combat, and you get three full trait lines, instead of 2.33.

It's unfortunate that a few good traits got the axe in the new specializations system (fare thee well, elixir-infused bombs), but the overall increase in flexibility is well worth it, IMO.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 8, 2015

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
And in between all of that, they even introduced the 13th trait for all trees that you had to either buy separately or go on a super duper quest to obtain.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Schpyder posted:

It's unfortunate that a few good traits got the axe in the new specializations system (fare thee well, elixir-infused bombs), but the overall increase in flexibility is well worth it, IMO.

Say "Feline Grace" three times in front of the mirror and you'll summon the ghosts of salty thieves past

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

treizebee posted:

And in between all of that, they even introduced the 13th trait for all trees that you had to either buy separately or go on a super duper quest to obtain.

Woah what.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ijyt posted:

Woah what.

One of their trait overhauls involved changing from buying whole tiers of traits to instead buying each individual trait. But, you could also do little side-quests/pseudo-achievements to unlock them as well (i.e. 100% a certain zone, kill a certain boss, etc). It was kinda bad.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I think a perfect balance would've been somewhere between the old system and what we have now. I find the new system much more restrictive. Especially now that so many traits are highly situational and you are no longer able to take multiple adept / master traits.

I do certainly agree with the stats being divorced from traits, however.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

...You know what's incredibly sad?

I've been looking at the new thread title this entire time and thought absolutely nothing of it beyond "Oh it's just a non-joke informative title".

And finally it just hit me.

Really says something about ANet's writing that I so subconsciously believe that Scarlet returning would be something that would totally happen in HoT.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

YoshiOfYellow posted:

...You know what's incredibly sad?

I've been looking at the new thread title this entire time and thought absolutely nothing of it beyond "Oh it's just a non-joke informative title".

And finally it just hit me.

Really says something about ANet's writing that I so subconsciously believe that Scarlet returning would be something that would totally happen in HoT.

Not in HoT, but Scarlet will be the Legend that the Revenant channels for its next elite spec.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Softface posted:

Not in HoT, but Scarlet will be the Legend that the Revenant channels for its next elite spec.

Legendary Mary Sue Stance.

It's Shout-based and they are all "Die."

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Softface posted:

The skills practically make themselves.

"Later Tater" would be a stun break and teleport skill. "Die Die Die" for a damage dealing skill.

I expect to see some Gems in the mail for my ideas Anet.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
You see, Mordremoth wasn't awakened at the end of season one. Well, at least not how we all thought. The sudden burst of magic from the drill hitting the ley line actually overwhelmed him and killed him. In a strange twist of fate, with both Scarlet and Mordremoth dying near the same time, Scarlet's soul rode the ley line to Mordremoth and her soul inhabited his body, saving him. Just like Jennifer Love Hewitt's boyfriend's soul moved to another dude's in the hospital when he died in that Ghost Whisperer show (don't look at me, my wife watched it). So, in HoT, we're just fighting Scarlet in a different body.

Later, taters.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I can't wait for a few xpacs from now, when it's revealed that all this dragon stuff is actually part of Abaddon's double deluxe ulra-secret plan to rule the world. The entirety of GW1 is retconned to be a ruse so he could possess Kormir, rejoin the human god pantheon, and destroy it from within.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Nice $60 .jpeg

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

You see, Mordremoth wasn't awakened at the end of season one. Well, at least not how we all thought. The sudden burst of magic from the drill hitting the ley line actually overwhelmed him and killed him. In a strange twist of fate, with both Scarlet and Mordremoth dying near the same time, Scarlet's soul rode the ley line to Mordremoth and her soul inhabited his body, saving him. Just like Jennifer Love Hewitt's boyfriend's soul moved to another dude's in the hospital when he died in that Ghost Whisperer show (don't look at me, my wife watched it). So, in HoT, we're just fighting Scarlet in a different body.

Later, taters.

I unironically want this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Generic Octopus posted:

I can't wait for a few xpacs from now, when it's revealed that all this dragon stuff is actually part of Abaddon's double deluxe ulra-secret plan to rule the world. The entirety of GW1 is retconned to be a ruse so he could possess Kormir, rejoin the human god pantheon, and destroy it from within.

this would imply that anet would put any interesting thought into the humans in gw2 and we already know that's not the case

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I pitched a plausible scenario in GOON few days ago.

So, you know how Zhaitan is able to remember the lives of those he's turned? Would it not then make sense that Mordremoth would be able to access the memories of the sylvari he's taken?

He's also apparently able to continually resurrect his chosen champions.

So, wouldn't it make sense then, that Mordremoth would be able to bring her back, even more annoying and immortal then before :suicide:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Go RV! posted:

I pitched a plausible scenario in GOON few days ago.

So, you know how Zhaitan is able to remember the lives of those he's turned? Would it not then make sense that Mordremoth would be able to access the memories of the sylvari he's taken?

He's also apparently able to continually resurrect his chosen champions.

So, wouldn't it make sense then, that Mordremoth would be able to bring her back, even more annoying and immortal then before :suicide:

I figured everyone already feared this.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

GI_Clutch posted:

Later, taters.

This ruined the show for me, when they pulled that, I was done watching the show. I know it was kinda hard since Jennifer Love Hewitt in a dress in all most every show make it hard not to watch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll still never understand why they decided to axe the human gods in gw2 when they were basically the only interesting thing about humans in prophecies. without cantha or elona to expand on them they're just loving boring.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

lol if you think the title is a joke.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

yeah, Xushin told me this, when has he ever been wrong

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Smith Comma John posted:

Say "Feline Grace" three times in front of the mirror and you'll summon the ghosts of salty thieves past

This might the unpopular opinion, but of all the new and cool content released our way: the simplified/revised trait-lines was the worst and is in fact not cool, but bad. Build diversity was limited. Interesting or "gimmick" builds have been side-stepped in favor of a more robust class experience, over-all. While this might be healthy from a gameplay perspective, it is uninteresting from a being-surprised-by-cool-things perspective. I miss clone-death builds, I miss healing bomb builds and I definitely miss turret builds. I miss my old mesmer build, which had traits from every line but one and while consensus might rule that as un-viable, I was able to get over a 60% sPvP winrate with it in the first (or second?) season.

I know many players felt like they were only given the illusion of choice, but I think those players were probably a bit intimidated by experimentation and now we don't even really have a choice.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They got rid of clone death builds? drat, that blows.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Off the top of my head the only things I can think of that are completely gone are clone death mesmers and ricochet thieves, everything else is better than before. I'm not in the least upset that they cut out a lot of the useless traits and rolled together OK traits to make pretty good ones or otherwise made many traits baseline.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
They also specifically wanted to get rid of clonedeath mesmer because you just sort of poo poo out clones and forgot about them instead of trying to keep them alive or shatter them tactically.

Also nobody misses turret builds.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Off the top of my head the only things I can think of that are completely gone are clone death mesmers and ricochet thieves, everything else is better than before. I'm not in the least upset that they cut out a lot of the useless traits and rolled together OK traits to make pretty good ones or otherwise made many traits baseline.

They also got rid of Coated Bullets, which made the Engineer pistol skills penetrate and made the autoattack situationally awesome. It is a trait I miss. :(

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Kajeesus posted:

They also got rid of Coated Bullets, which made the Engineer pistol skills penetrate and made the autoattack situationally awesome. It is a trait I miss. :(

Oh drat I didn't even realize. That was a good trait.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Besides the other two builds I mentioned, I also rarely see pistol rogues in sPvP. I think it's inarguable that removing lots of traits has limited build diversity.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 8, 2015

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Sometimes animes are cats. Phlanges would call these animes Neko (Means 'Cat').

Cats can be stylish!

Cats can be cute!

Cats can be... this?

As a bonus, I found one of the beautiful Anet animes.

Beautiful animes making a beautiful anime world.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

A Qeynos Guard glowers at you dubiously -- what would you like your tombstone to say?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dorkopotamis posted:

Besides the other two builds I mentioned, I also rarely see pistol rogues in sPvP. I think it's inarguable that removing lots of traits has limited build diversity.

Well yeah, but there's also a lot of nonviable stuff taken off the board too. I think in a practical sense it's easier to make diversity with a devteam say making pistols actually good by making the skills work rather than a spunky player finding the right balance of points to put in the stabman tree (that specifically mention the same damage type as bullets).
We've all had cool builds lost from games doing that but it takes good devs to balance a "tinker with your stats and percentage stuff" talent system work.

I mean hell I had a rifle build for my engineer back when this game launched and coming back because of the weird way I had to build around buffs and debuffs the game assumed I was almost a pure potion chucker when I signed back on last night.

Also nice to see the game still randomly crashes to desktop on load screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Genovera posted:

A Qeynos Guard glowers at you dubiously -- what would you like your tombstone to say?

peperony and chease

• Locked thread