Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Evidently the yellow party dots that show up occasionally (as opposed to the blue party dots) are intended to show where your guildmates are in the open world once they're fixed/fully implemented. I think this is really cool and look forward to seeing 150 little yellow Goon Squad dots running around whenever I open the world map :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Well done.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Relatedly, :siren:GOON SQUAD:siren:, guild hall capture event will be 30m past reset on Sat. Oct. 24th Sun. Nov 1st. Makeup missions will then proceed after the event has completed.

edit cuz of the thing cletus said

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 11, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh lawdie. Well, the weekend after that then. But not Saturday since that's Halloween. Argh. This whole guild hall building/claiming thing confuses the hell out of me, I fully intend to just trail along behind Tricks and Schpyder looking bewildered.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ijyt posted:

Wait I just woke up and can't think good.

Is that early morning Sunday or early morning Monday because if its the latter RIP EUs on maguuma that need to work Monday.

The latter I think. We could do it Saturday the 31st instead but that's Halloween so I'm not sure how that works with peoples' schedules. Do goons go to Halloween parties? Am I overestimating our social lives??

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I still prefer the take from the extended pilot. "Or cocaine! :downs:"

e: goon squad, what do you guys think of Friday the 30th, for guild hall claiming? please lmk in-game, I'll try to remember to bring it up around goomteq time.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 11, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BIRD STAFF BIRD STAFF BIRD STAFF BIRD STAFF BIRD STAFF

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah it looks like it will be a really solid chunk of time before we start seeing players with BIRDSTAFF and the other, lesser legendaries.

Which means more Mesmer time for me! :sparkles:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just noticed that birdstaff turns your arm all feathery :swoon:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lucky for you, Arah story is now a single player personal story quest.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

John Smith is answering a bunch of questions about the economy on the dev tracker.

quote:

Q.
What about dungeon tokens? As it stands, you need ~170 dungeon runs to get the complete armor/weapon skin set. Will they be nerfed as well?
A.
No, they’ll be the same as before.

So there's your answer, people who were speculating about token reward increases.

Also, apparently, it's completely intentional that charged lodestones are worth four times as much as the others :shrug:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, from the official forums:

Bird, you better step up your game :colbert:

Birds for the bird god. Beaks for the beak throne.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tivac posted:

Underwater combat was a cool idea that wasn't as cool in practice, so it's being de-emphasized.

Honestly I haven't met a single player who truly unironically enjoys UW combat (inc half a dozen goons posting to disagree with me) so telling your teams "don't bother with a second set of UW legends" makes perfect sense :shrug: People being upset about dungeons is understandable but being mad because there are no new UW legends seems like being contrary just to be contrary.

Also how would you top sharkspear, seriously :cool:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

Honestly the underwater ones were the only ones I looking forward to, not because underwater is fun, but because they were the only good ones from the original batch and I am sure the second batch would be the same way.

Sharkspear rules, Kraitkin rules, Frenzy doesn't rule. 2 for 3, yeah, that's pretty solid :black101:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd say fight me but my shark would eat your dumbass piranhas so fast :smug:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

WINGS FOR EVERYONE

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Schpyder posted:

Or are they not planning on adding more fractals at all, ever? :smith:

my Abaddon fractal :negative:

Generic Octopus posted:

The fractal hate makes more sense if people actually think you're supposed to.

haha yeah it does actually. Pretty much daily somebody in gchat has to explain to somebody else that those infusions aren't actually the kind you're supposed to use. I wonder if they'll change them to work in other slots for HoT. they won't

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

whydirt posted:

To be fair, it's kind of silly to have two different types of AR infusions that aren't cross compatible with one another but such similar names.

Pretty much everything about fractals is kind of silly.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Was there a goon who said they wanted the Kraitkin precursor? One just dropped for me so I can sell it to you or something :downs:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Not a meltdown, just Diego being Diego

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

boooo

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

They were probably turned off of the concept when the dungeon team revealed the overhauled AC and there was an incredible pissy uproar from their forums. iirc that's the reason AC gives better cash rewards than the other non-Arah dungeons, they were bribing players back into it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ghostpilot posted:

I had carrots last night! Oh Lorikeet, I am so sorry. :gonk:

my people :negative:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Turncoat Mommy posted:

SFD if you have any interest at all in pvp, SFD if you're just into pve, Goon Squad if you're just into pve

SFD since GOON is running out of room

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

quote:

Staff – Nevermore. Someone in Arenanet loved the staff so much they set it as a test item and it showed up on some builds. The story behind is taking a spirit and Raven and melding them together. In the beginning you have to prove you a friend of nature and protect it around the world. In collection 3 you are chasing down this raven spirit around the world by creating spyclass that allow you to see the raven around the world. In collection 4 are taming your spirit, showing it your power and showing it how things from the mist can live in the corporal world. You are also getting a raven egg, bless it and treating it. Once the raven hatches you teach it how to fly and meld it with the spirit.

:qq: guys anet is literally making a quest about my life i'm so happy :qq:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ranger in pvp tonight was upset every time I killed him.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lyer posted:

Bird, which guild hall are we going to use?

Cave

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Schpyder posted:

Wait, does that mean it's going to take about 400 hero points to train an elite spec? :psypop:

Sure does

quote:

It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

Hope you weren't planning on playing all your alts.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Doesn't make it suck less for people like Schpyder that play their dozen alts regularly.

e: actually maybe you aren't the best example Schpy given they all have 100% map completion :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 20, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Really at this point the thing I'm most excited for is salvaging all these loving rings.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Zerk thief is tricky and a surprising amount of it depends on just knowing the fight and boss tells. Also, don't be afraid to hop out of melee and plink/throw daggers for a few seconds if you need your heal to come up or endurance to regen or whatever.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 20, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Swapping in Invigorating Precision over No Quarter is worth the damage loss on fights where you'd otherwise be getting downed repeatedly. Some bosses just have so much health that DPS racing them gets a little shaky if everyone isn't totally on point.

Yeah that too, I tend to prefer IP to NQ. Party members have no problem putting permafury on me and aside from the naked survival boost, IP also maintains Keen Observer, Flawless Strikes, and the Scholar 6-piece bonus. Worth trading off the 250 Ferocity imo.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 20, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

At risk of angering the anti-meta contingent it really is just that one build for pve (until Friday, anyway). However there are hundreds of tiny tweaks you can make to that build so that it works for you, whether it be trait choices, utility skills, weapon swaps, etc. The DnT/metabattle builds are crafted to work under ideal circumstances, whatever those might be, so they're flexible. There's no harm at all in trying different things -- it's good, actually, not only because it will increase your skill and experience with that class, but you can also get an idea of why the meta is that way instead of just blindly accepting or rejecting it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

treizebee posted:

Just to recap.

A fully tomed 2-80 character has enough points to unlock every single core trait line.
It costs ~400 points to fully unlock an elite spec (including the armor/weapon skin fluff)
A Maguuma Jungle hero challenge is worth ~10 points.

It takes 40 Jungle challenges to fully unlock an elite on a pure tomed character.

That's not...too bad. 40 is still a big number, but it's feasible even with a few alts. Those who miss out on launch week Jungle rushes for the challenges will be in a strong deficit depending on how obnoxious the Jungle challenges are.

e : loving lol to WvW players though. gently caress me, right.

I'm concerned that many hero points could locked behind masteries. Ones high up in the jungle canopy you need to train on bouncy mushrooms for, etc. We'll find out before long but I hope that isn't the plan.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

nobody else is saying anything :shrug:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

REMINDER TO NEW/RETURNING/LURKING GOONS:
Now is the time to sign up for an invite to GOON or SFD! Guild space is limited, the expansion is out in a few days, and we're both pretty packed already, so get on that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Be funny if it was the other way though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bookmarked for future reference

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Your Computer posted:

I have a couple of questions; is the personal story in any way continued in HoT? I've completed it on my main but I dread doing it on my alts.. which brings me to my second question. I created a thief in anticipation of the Daredevil specialization but I'm struggling to do stuff solo, as I feel about as sturdy as wet paper. What's a good compromise between survivability and damage? I never really got into the itemization in this game so I just went with the usual advice of "everything Berserker every time", but as soon as I encounter more than 2 mobs at a time I'm struggling to stay alive (which makes the personal story even more fun). I would try experimenting, but I don't really have the funds :(

somebody asked about thieves the other day so here is a link to the relevant posts http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745583&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post451693703

and like nilgoow said s/p is a solid choice for survivability while you learn the class. pistolwhippistolwhippistolwhip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

^^ signet of agility, not infiltrator's, but infiltrator's is a fantastic gapcloser if you find yourself missing shadow shot too much. ^^

hahaha don't get me wrong I am not a fan of s/p outside of soloing painful mob groups, but there are a lot of goons who do like it. if you haven't tried dagger/dagger that one's a lot of fun, since you're constantly on the move to stay flanking and out of harm's way.

thief staff has been my dream for literally years (it's in my post history! :lol: ) but I was kind of disappointed with daredevil. hopefully that changes, I'd like to run around doing sick ninja flips with my raven staff buddy

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 22, 2015

• Locked thread