Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Hey Arus, earlier you said you played daredevil this last beta and the staff was fun. What kinda changes did they make to it? Last time I tried it out it was a bit kinda still poo poo/sorta really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I think the guardians had such basic boring models just to let the raid mechanic get some needed testing without spoiling anything neat or interesting about the raid('s first part).

It would be nice if upon release the bosses were replaced with something more interesting.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I think I only have 1 of the bank slots in my bank guild. Maybe I'll whale out and grab the other 2 slots. Or 1 if that is too much to get done.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Guys, let's be honest. Each dungeon path is akin to a fractal path, many a bit longer then what should have been. How would you guys feel if Anet tunes the dungeon rewards to be similar to a fractal path, and maybe updating the amount of effort per path to be similar to a mid level fractal? To be honest I'll probably end up doing dungeons more than normal once HoT releases just to get more exp.

Speaking of fractals, last night's 50 fractal run made me remember how hugely bitter I am towards fractals. I wasn't even a part of it (I don't have anywhere enough AR to try)! Anet seperating each fractal run into an individual section instead of a set of 3 really will make it far more playable to me. I simply do not have the attention span or spare time to plop down 1.5 hours (depending on pubbies) to do a fractal run! Hell it's probably not even that long for me normally, but it feels too long. Have to leave 2/3rds of the way through? Too loving bad! And building up AR via +1 AR resists at a time. You need loving 70 to get through! Either you get some ascended armor/weapons or you build an intense amount of AR in your laurel amulet and guild commendation trinkets. And the loving rings, I keep doing the right reward tier but I never have seen a one.

Worst of all, thanks to agony I can't even jump it to help or try despite not being anywhere the right rank. Look I'll jump in hardmode and give it my all, even if I'll end up being poo poo in it. Moxie or something.

The fractal split is going to be a very loving good thing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ItBurns posted:

I'm really confused as to what the specific impediments to getting AR are. By the time you actually need it you should have enough AR to make it irrelevant. If you don't like fractals then you don't need it because you won't be doing fractals.

Are people just completely dismissing it because they think it's a grind?

Yes, though I consider the grind to be getting the necesary ascended gear aside from amulets and trinkets which are easy as poo poo. Also isn't it such that the ar infusion in your gear can't be used in the creation of a higher level infusion? Like a +5 takes 2 +4's, but you can't use the +4 in your gear? If you don't have much ascended stuff, getting higher ar might be a bit of a pain considering how you increase infusions.

But personally, having to do 3 completely seperate and random dungeon paths (which is how I kinda view fractals) in a row kinda just doesn't work with me. I mean if it's the same mission I sure as poo poo can stick to it, like in GW1. It's just some thing about fractals I guess.

Also I spend most of my game time leveling alts and gearing them up, then switching to other alts. I don't have the time to dedicate playing fractals over and over. Yet. By the time HoT releases I'll have only my future revenant and my ele left to work on. I also plan on jumping head first into raids despite my bitching about fracals. They sound more like GW1 elite dungeons, which I did enjoy. Except underworld, gently caress UW.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
It's a lot easier to just get ascended trinkets from guild commendations, and also grab one of the crafting backpacks which are the best. Plop the +5 infusions in them and with just the commendations having infuaions you are good to go.

Of course if you're saving laurels to equip alts then you can't buy the infusions. Which soon will used to be a problem I had.

The only problem is that if you want to go above fractal 29, you need to start making ascended armor or make infused accessories. Which is incredibly loving grindy. I am going to regret not getting my armorcraft and tailor to level 400, not that I could considering I have about 30G to my name.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mercurius posted:

Diego, please stop getting worked up over agony resistance as you’re getting upset over a misconception you have and consequently spreading FUD in the thread for no real reason. As Lorikeet said, we’re having to constantly explain how the stuff works in game so I’ll try and write a concise explanation here.

Nothing that you quoted there was me being worked up over anything. Though my past few posts sure as poo poo were, I'm not denying that. I was replying to Hefty who was asking about just jumping into fractals without AR. And I wasn't spreading FUD. It was incorrect information I was spreading in my pissy misinformed rants, not Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Unless you mean inspiring the generation of FUD in others. FUD sounds so stupid to say, you could just as easily say I was spreading misinformation and confusing others.

I was also just explaining that my priority of leveling each class to max at the rate of an employed casual player has prevented me from investing enough time to actually get deep into fractals. I was, as you pointed out, incorrect about buying the simple infusions with laurels, which was another thing holding me back as I was saving laurels for alts. I could have been purchasing the infusions with fractal relics all along.

I also completely forgot that infused items get a spare slot, so you can get more AR in there. I also didn't realize that rings and backs were the only things that could be infused. And yeah I didn't realize that the stacking infusions were only usable in that slot. That alone makes the grind for these infusions way less bad if it should come to you needing to do it. I also did think that infusing rings was just as bad as the backs, and at no point would toss a stack of ectos into a ring for more AR slots. So the fact that that is not the case is really nice to know.

I was also pissed with how much it would take to get to the mid fractals, not even the higher level ones. But based on what you and others have said, with the simple infusions alone in the easy to obtain items with infusion slots (back from crafted, commendations and rings) you can get a total of 20AR. 25 if you want to use the amulet but yeah no you're right you really shouldn't do that. So with infused rings there really is nothing holding you back from being able to do 20-29 range fractals. That is way better than what I thought.

Now someone point out where I'm wrong here because I probably am, but fractals do have a higher chance at dropping ascended gear boxes than world bosses. That sounds good good, right? The drop rate depends on the fractal level! I think at like rank 40 or so you can have a 4% drop rate of ascended armor chests? This isn't easy to get to without ascended weapons/armors to begin with! You can get ring drops and atuff to make rings. That's nice but it ain't getting you to the higher tiers alone without grinding the stackable infusions.

Having ascended armor being a requirement to gain access to higher level fractals is complete BS due to the efforts it takes to craft them. If fractals had more rewards involving ascended item creation, it would make sense to have ascended items be required for higher level play. Having armor boxes be a super duper rare drop until higher ranks (in which it is still rare) doesn't help with getting the requirements fulfilled for reaching those higher ranks.

I understand ascended armor is supposed to be prestigious. But it provides nothing more than some poo poo stat boosts and an infusion slot. The main draw to the armor is the infusion slot, but in order to get the 100% assured way of getting it (crafting it), you need to spend a gently caress load of resources obtainable from every game mode, a poo poo ton of money, and have it all be time gated. Technically time gated, but you can buy the time gated stuff off the TP of course. It provides no advantage in pve (save the amulet utility slot which is very nice), nothing in spvp by design, and wvw may get a worthwhile boost in the weapons? I heard it might be nice a long time ago when they fist came out, but I can't stand wvw without live chat so I don't bother playing it unless jerkjerk is doing stuff.

TLDR: I was wrong with a lot of stuff, but access to higher level tiers of fractals based on ascended accessability is still lovely as it takes an enormous amount of resources to obtain an item whose entire gimmick is useful only in fractals. And you need multiple.

Arus if you put Mercurius' well written ditty of fractal information in the OP, which you should it's kinda really helpful, please keep in him calling me out on FUD.

Edit:

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness I am taking a vacation from OP updating right now because I don't want to do it on a cell phone and annoyingly bad cell reception, sorry thread!

Oh. Well yeah it's kinda poo poo to do that on the phone. Whenever I skip out of reception and I had a half typed post, it just ends up getting deleted. It's such a pain.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 14, 2015

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Not a meltdown, just Diego being Diego

Yeah no, I don't meltdown. I was just making my previous points clear, agreeing I was wrong with a lot of things, and finally reiterating that ascended items being hugely expensive prestigious items while providing nothing more than an infusion slot in fractals, while not really being easier to obtain via fractals without higher rank fractal box drops being a bit loving stupid.

How did you read that and think I was melting down?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mercurius posted:

Dude, just stop. I say you're trying to spread FUD about Fractals and ascended gear just because you don't understand the mechanics and decided to go off on a tirade half-cocked and you're still doing it, read your own goddamn post. New players who are trying to find information about Fractals might be scared off from even thinking about trying them from the incorrect stuff you're still posting which is completely unfair on them, particularly with the changes to Fractals being the preferred 5 man group content in Heart of Thorns.
I know you have a different way of how you play the game to most people but please try to remember that there are a lot of goons who read the thread but don't post in it and when you drown out pages of discussion with hysterics about how everything about fractals and Ascended armour is awful then those people who just read the thread might never decide to even try.

Please stop twisting my words. I did point out my way of playing being different then some people yes, definitely not different than most players though.

I picked apart what you posted against my aggressive horrible FUD, and agreed with everything you said where my arguments were wrong. Which was pretty much all of it. I noted very specifically the areas that really turned me off of fractals, but aparently not stated clearly enough that you have changed my view of fractals with these corrections of my misinformation.

I am a changed man, and no longer have a bone to pick with fractals.

Mercurius posted:

To reiterate: you don't need ascended armour to do level 49 fractals because you can get 55AR from a full set of trinkets+weapon if you infuse the rings and backpack (and you'll get the drops required to infuse the stuff doing up to 29 fairly quickly). There's a very minimal difference in terms of reward between 49 and 50 and we don't know what's going to happen with the fractal masteries at this point so just chill out.

Yeah dude, I know. I wasn't going out of my way to go further than the reasonably obtainable stuff. Ascended weapons are not easily or reasonably obtainable, same as the armor. Unless I'm so out of touch with crafting them that it is significantly less expensive than making a single piece of armor, my position on that has not and will not change. Because it isn't wrong to assume that most people, especially casual players, will be easily capable of grabbing the ascended armor and weapons to proceed in fractals.

AND THAT IS OK. You should have to be able to build yourself up to get higher and higher. It's rewarding content. It's not ok that the armor is designed to be a huge timesink/moneysink when it is not that much easier to obtain when performing fractals. The infusions are for fractals, trying to do ascended armor without fractals should take a long rear end time. But having it be the same of difficulty to obtain, sans the rare box drop, by doing the content it was created for seems like bad game design in my opinion.

I've repeated what you said that without armor and weapons it is still possible to get decently high in fractals, and that is good. I did so to try and help show that yes I was wrong, and you are right. That fractals aren't so bad. But face it, ascended armor and weapons are a lot more difficult to come by without RNG. I won't back down from that as it's true.

Mercurius posted:

You only need 10AR (which you can get in the accessories you can buy every 2 weeks of guild missions) to trivialise the damage in 10-19 fractals. You only need 25AR (either a weapon+3 trinkets, 5 trinkets or less if you end up with an infused ring) to do the same for 20-29. Again, anecdotally, I (and others like Cletus) have received more ascended gear box drops and fractal skins from 19 and 29 than we have from 49/50.

This is actually really cool! I was using a drop rate spreadsheet some guy posted on reddit for when I posted what I did, but it's all RNG in the end. If I'm wrong and ascended box drops are pretty easy to get early on, then good.

You know my big issue with fractals was never the AR. I didn't like the AR because it meant I couldn't jump in to help goons out who need more players and don't want to get pubbies, that's all. I do have a problem with ascended armor and weapons, but you have shown me that I need not worry about that for fractals anymore.

My real beef with fractals (WHICH WILL BE FIXED WITH HoT) is the time sink of the fractals itself, of which I will be an outlier to the norm due to my lovely horrible attention span. And also always having to play with pubbies because when I'm on and want to do fractals, typically no one else does. Makes stuff drag on, really sucks ect.

And so you don't call me out and FUD again I'll add a disclaimer for that last bit. Don't play with pubbies if you have to goons. Your experience may vary, but many times it probably won't be nice.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I don't think anyone was ever unfair to Diego. As stated, many players - myself included - see the +1s and assume they are how AR works. Then when someone in guild chat invites us to our first 10+ we get to learn all about buying 5 AR cheaply from a fractal vendor and cramming it into our trinkets. It's not our fault, Anet are just bad at things. All of us go through it.

There is nothing unfair to being pointed out where you are wrong. Honestly I had a lot of problems with AR that wasn't correct, and I'm glad I was shown this.

I mean now that I know this, I've figured out that once I get some rings I can have have 40 AR. Once I infuse the rings and get a couple +5 stackable infusions I'll be able to do 40-49 rank fractals with little issues.

Though I seriously won't bother increasing my rank until the fractals are seperated. It may not be a problem for other players, but it is for me. I feel like I have to add a disclaimer every time I say something that could be misconstrued to be against fractals now.

Schpyder posted:

Rambling, incoherent, stream-of-consciousness 10-paragraph posts tend to come off as functionally identical to ranting diatribes most of the time, dude.

Yeah but that's kinda how I post in general. I've become aware of it, and have been trying to stop doing it but.

Honestly I have always had to dump out my thoughts in one go since I was a kid, especially of it was in text. When I wasn't medicated, I would often forget what I was saying halfway through saying it. And if I tried to space things out, or get interrupted it was pretty much gone forever. It's a deeply entwined habit that's pretty loving hard to break to be honest.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
You use gold and mats to buy cool skins because that is GW2 endgame. Also you can craft special backbacks which are pretty decent.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Dreggon posted:

it's baffling that they would introduce a raid hard mode with agony because how do you balance between different agony values? what if not everyone does fractals and has AR? am i meant to exclude people? fuckers

I dunno. Now that people have bashed my head into it, it makes sense to me now. Thankfully they've clarified how the increase to 100 rank fractals will affect AR.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
That action camera reminds me of gw1's controls. It seems really cool.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kessel posted:

Exactly this. The dev who thinks this will be good for engineer nades is dreaming. Oh good let me just point the camera at my feet in a group clusterfuck andhgrjxjdhgehrhfhhhgggjh

(also aiming all your nades at a distance using the crosshair is loving impossible, you'll throw up after a minute of bucking the mouse)

They said you could take it out of 1st person mode while still using the action camera. It sounds like it'd be useful but I've not seen it in action so I dunno.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Hey can you undo guild builds in the queue? I accidently triggered an extra workshop for my bank guild when I'm supposed to be making the second bank slot.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Visidan posted:

Click the lil gear then press - then tick.

Sweet, thanks!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

malhavok posted:

Is there a way to upgrade from the standard edition of hot to the ultimate? i can only find a deluxe upgrade, and that one is dumb.

Ask anet help support. If they say there isnt, express that you would be more than haopy to purchase it if it existed, but you are not interested in the middle option.

May not lead to anything but if they realize there is an interest in such a product... I mean it IS a digital sale, not much physical media to worry about sales there.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kajeesus posted:

I hope they put it on the gemstore.

"Update to the ultimate version for only 4,000 gems, and receive a character slot and some dumb skins and a whopping 4,000 gems!"

Oh, yeah. Hahaha. I forgot the extra gem bonus, I was thinking of the glider and other bits. If it does enter the gem shop it'd probably be cheaper amd with zero gem bonuses.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I was lamenting that I couldn't get the last guild bank done on time for HoT release for my bank guild, but then realized I need ed another tier in architect before I could craft it. It's a good thing the old guild upgrades will be going away cause having the tier upgrades look the same is kinda confusing.

Though if I sell my store of ectos I should have just enough to end up getting it. Probably not worth it though, might be better to pump that gold into gems for when bank panels go on sale again.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

tirinal posted:

Oh, look. In four days I will practically double my dps in pve as a mesmer.

Wait, what? Where did you read that?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
That is actually pretty loving amazing! This should fix the problem with ranger pets dying all the time, and both turrets and spirits being paper thin chances of a skill. At least under AoE.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ah man, unidentified dyes are dropping like mad. I had a near stack too. Maybe I'll sell them, maybe I'll take them out instyle and hold a guild dye event.

Edit: oh yeah, I have like 2g to my name. This poo poo is gonna be sold.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

malhavok posted:

Wtf, where? i've been playing all day and haven't got a single one.

Dropping as in the price on the trading post is dropping.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought my video card was dying from the flickering on my screen then I looked up and saw the billion helicopters :saddowns:

Aw man, did no one take a screen cap? Hopefully it is just as bugged out for us, because that sounds really horrible fun.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kessel posted:

also this is a quote I collected from my first round of pvp as a scrapper:

off to a good start, I think

Ah, I see he signs his chat.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I'm probably gonna go back to my engineer grinding SW for organs. I think with a celebration booster I'll be able to get decent headway into some of the tyrian masteries.

I'm not going to bother trying to unlock any mastery in HoT until after I get some headway into the glider mastery. And bouncing mushrooms. Once I get some of that stuff I'll just bounce around and enjoy the story and exploration on an alt whose new elite spec I don't give a gently caress about. I'll get the elite specs done on my own time, it'll just be a nice add on for after I finish most of HoT's story.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Harrow posted:

^ From what I can tell, the most important Maguuma masteries are gliding, updraft usage, and bouncing mushrooms. After that I've been told to go for the first rank of exalted lore, then just level whichever ones you want after that.

I've got boosters coming out my nose, so that's promising.

Right. I got glider usage and just started bouncing mushrooms. I'll go after updraft and then exalted afterwards. Once that's done I'll be pushing glider to max for the nice stamina buffs amd whatever.

Hey, how can you tell if your glider stamina has refreshed? I tried jumping off shortly after landing on a rock and it was mostly empty.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I really have no issue fighting the mobs. I'm not a straight zerker build, but I manage to stay alive plently long enough to get poo poo done. That being said I have managed to get myself killed very quickly a few times while looking at chat, or by getting spiked down super hard. But all in all it isn't bad.

I've also not left the first zone so take that as you will.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So is auto-loot still bugged? I'd like to go ahead and keep grinding CoF for pact commander and fractal masteries before it is enevatably nerfed. Spent an hour or so monday night with some goons and managed to get about 500k away from R3 pact commander. Seeing as fractal masery caps at R4, getting that one shouldn't be so bad.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So druid isn't really proving to be anything special with conditions, by that I mean the staff. As such I'll probably just roll druid and it's entire role into my power based gear instead of building around druid. Since HoT has only released 2(?) new armor sets, there is no need for me to wait on building my condition ranger gear.

I have a full set of rabid currently, cause I used to use a condi ranger at release. I like the toughness gain, but I think I'll only keep a few pieces of that for some general survivability and replace the rest with either sinister or viper.

I'm interested in seeing how viper holds up, as I was thinking of making a sinister set for my engineer as well. And maybe my thief. I have a zerker set and rabid set on my necromancer, so I'm pretty sure I'm set there. If need be I might consider dropping the berzerker for sinister, but I'm not too sure.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Lonk posted:

I look like something Todd Macfarlane came up with

It looks like there is a tiny guy riding on you.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I hope to have bouncing mushrooms by tomorrow, but it'd be neat if the event's exp gets me updraft. Despite knowing how bad it was when broken, I really hope it isn't fixed because I want to see what all you had to go through for SFD's hall.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Spvp in general, really. You're all better off playing the much better game type, drunken dolyak simulator.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Here's my necro!

I need to build a nice reaper set for her. The above is her straight up condition armor look. I have a set of berzerkers for power, but it isn't that great a look.

Edit: woops, fixed the link.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 2, 2015

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Crafting has the cool unique backpack skins and helps level characters. Hell maybe I should do cooking on my main to make the mastery grind easier. It's also the only way to make celestial and other recently made stat set gear.

Apart from that though, huuuge money sink.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Dreggon posted:

:siren: 64 bit client beta launching today :siren:

I can't wait to crash constantly using this!

GW2 tends to eat up all my ram like crazy, so I thought it was 64bit to begin with.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man, good thing I've been forgetting/too lazy to use gemfx. I've been meaning to switch to it to improve quality, but maybe just using the 64x client will work instead. If not I'll need to wait on seeing if it fucks up gemfx anyway.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Schpyder posted:

Hey goons, no HP trains from me tonight. My computer went pop this morning and won't turn on. I expect it's the PSU, and I'm about to order one overnighted, but won't even be able to determine if that's the only thing wrong until tomorrow evening. :(

Oh dear. The PSU frying could have fried other computer parts. :(
Never cheap out on the PSU goons! Hopefully it didn't fry anything if it is the culprit.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Schpyder posted:

It was a SeaSonic X650 Gold, literally the polar opposite of a cheap PSU. :mad:

Oh good. Yeah PSUs will eventually die after enough years, you just want to get one that'll not take the computer with it. Even though it died it shouldn't have fried anything. Hopefully it'll be ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Schpyder posted:

Welp.

It wasn't just the PSU. :sigh:

Time to order a new mobo, CPU, and RAM and hope I can get it to POST and the drives and GPU are alright. See you guys in a while I guess. :sadwave:

Oh no! If anything I hope your hard drives are ok! Just think of it as time to upgrade, I guess. :(

• Locked thread