Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Colgate posted:

I'm getting back into GW2, and I noticed after logging in that they gave me a Lv 80 boost. I don't want to use it on my 47 Necromancer, who I stubbornly intend to level. Any suggestions for another class to use it on? I liked Guardian and Warrior, and I'm interested in what they did with Ranger.

How is the new class? I haven't really played since a little after they released HoT.

You can try out the level 80 boost before you use it up so if you aren't sure which class you want to boost up just make/delete different classes until you've had a good chance to compare them. Every class is good so it's really down to personal preference. Have a look at the elite specs for each class too since you might want to boost the class that you're most interested in the elite spec of, that way you can get to use it faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of optimal builds, say you were going to play a condi ele build in general pve just for fun, how would you go about it? I'm thinking scepter/dagger or maybe focus for firewall, fire and earth traits with tempest, switch between fire and earth attunements mostly. That sound about right?

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 7, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

pisshead posted:

OK, I'll try a mesmer or engie. If the most effective way to play is boring, that sounds like a failure of game design. I could find other ways to kill mobs than 1 1 1 1 1, but I'd just be tickling them with lightning, rocks or ice whilst they beat my face in. That would give more variety but wouldn't necessarily be any more fun, it'd just be taking longer to get their health bars down, not necessarily a different play style.

Dagger/dagger is actually just as viable a way to play. You kill things plenty quickly, it's just much more involved since you have to get up close to whatever you're killing. Use the fresh air trait in the air line so you can hop in and out of air attunement quickly. You want to use your air autoattack primarily and the particularly damaging skills of the other attunements. If you have three trait lines available you want fire, air and arcane so you can use the blast finisher on earth attunement dodge.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Is there an up to date guide and or a more condensed step by step instruction on how to craft this stuff?

Buy the ascended item recipe and relevant inscription recipe from your local master crafter, then just let the crafting system tell you what you need. Clicking on a component will tell you what you need to make that component.

Just be aware that recipes are per character, not per account, so you need to use up the recipe on the character who has level 500 in whatever discipline.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

While we're talking about Bloodstone Fen, in case anyone in the thread didn't know you can get keys from map completing it and it's faster to complete than Southsun Cove so it's worth running all your alts through before they remember why they changed Southsun Cove's rewards. Also you get five Bloodstone per map complete but I doubt they'll change that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I already did this on all my characters but then I got a thought: do you get the same rewards on a non-level 80 character? As in, would it be worth it to create characters for a quick Bloodstone fen clear?

They changed the scroll to only work for level 80 characters because of people doing this. People used to do with Southsun back before they changed it but I could never manage it, I always got killed too quickly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Sweet. Still a lot of goons playing? I'm considering doing some sort of server transfer to play with certified cool dudes (tm). My RL friends don't play this any more.

You don't have to switch server to play with people except for wvw or if you're currently on a European server. There are things called megaservers now which smoosh you all together in one map.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Can someone tell me what this tequalts watery grave thing is about?

Been to busy with college stuff to log in.

There's an achievement that requires being sucked into a whirlpool made by Teq, but Teq only makes the whirlpools just before the first battery phase or if the map fails the burn phase. Failing the burn phase is extremely rare, so you end up with a lot of people finding it very difficult and confusing to get the achievement. This way those people have a guaranteed chance to get the achievement after the fight's ended.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sjonkel posted:

Secondly, is there some site like wowhead for GW2? Sometimes I get items that I have no idea what do, if I should try to sell them on the market, stash them in my bank, or sell them to vendors.

GW2efficiency or GW2shinies are both good for looking up what to do with things. That said, the majority of the time you're going to want to salvage everything that you aren't actually using for yourself and sell the materials. You could keep them I guess in case you want to craft later, but I'd recommend selling them because it's an excellent source of money, especially when you're starting out.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Depending on your class and build you might not need to craft ascended weapons if you can get them from elite spec collections instead. Way cheaper that way.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Based on idly keeping an eye on the TP, it seems like most black lion weapon sets start at ~100 gold per skin when they're new and then decrease in price as they remain available longer until they hit maybe 70-80 sell price and ~50 gold buy price. So that's also a factor in the bloodstone skins being more expensive than the previous set. They'll drop over the next few weeks. The trick is figuring out which ones will be most popular in the longterm so they'll rise the most once a new set or two is released.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you're like me and mostly make plant alts then the cook outfit is great. On plants it just looks like some plant clothes rather than a chef outfit.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Also you should buy an ascended amulet from a laurel vendor as soon as you have enough laurels, if you've been spending them. Rings aren't bad to buy with laurels either if you don't do fractals often, but if you do get into fractals it's much easier to buy them with pristine fractal relics. Also look into doing guild missions to get ascended accessories. If you have ascended trinkets then you can slot in agony infusions to do more than just the lowest level fractals and you can get pretty far before you start needing actual ascended armour.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I like open world VG but open world Sloth is useless for learning the fight. I really wish she did the wet dog shake at least since that's the most important attack to learn and by the time you see it in a raid there's usually so much going on that it's much harder to spot. I'd love some practice at avoiding it in a less charged atmosphere, myself.

I'm also on US servers and find the community to generally be very pleasant, except for major city mapchat, heart of the mists and WvW. Even when a big meta fails or something there'll usually be one, maybe two angry people and everyone else in mapchat telling them to chill the gently caress out, it's just a game.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

On the other hand it's finally brought home the reality of 6 gifts of battle to me. It's what, six hours per gift?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

Different item same icon. It's bought from those weird guys that collect rare crafted items.

Oh, that explains why I'd never thought about it before. That pact provisioner stuff sounds like even more of a pain though tbh

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You don't need to slot in a speed boost for ele because there's a passive one in the air traitline if you're in air attunement. Just stay in air attunement when you're going places, it's a good attunement to start in even if you're running staff.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

graynull posted:

I have an odd little question. I just used my 80 boost on a necro (played one years ago but wanted to remake him to change races). I was planning on doing some catchup at least of my personal story stuff before heading into the HoT areas but I have already maxed out my first Mastery level exp bar. Does the experience accumulate even though the bar is full, or should I go do the first few HoT chapters to unlock mastery so as to not waste any exp?

The latter. I think it's only the very first story step that you have to do to unlock it at least.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I checked the trading post, but poo poo's expensive and I haven't really made money, if that makes sense? I have 9 gold that I got from a fellow goon when I joined SFD, but other than that, I haven't seen it go up.

I'll try and do some dungeons and see how it goes, thanks.

Sell crafting materials. You also get gold for completing 3 dailies.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't think you sound whiny, just confused. It sounds like you're thinking the game works something like Diablo where you're looking for nice drops and get gold from adventuring, when actually it's more about salvaging almost everything that drops and selling the mats for gold to buy the stuff you actually want.

Something else that will probably give you a big boost if you haven't done it already is getting a matching set of superior runes into your armour. It doesn't have to be expensive, just find something cheap that does +power or something. Also look at ways of getting ascended amulets, rings and accessories since that's easier than other ascended gear.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sylvari don't actually give a poo poo about nature. They're trees in the same way as humans are animals. There's an order of whispers mission where you pretend to be ~~~nature spirits~~~ in order to trick some centaurs into getting themselves killed to set up a diversion so you can kill a dude. I love sylvari.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What's that for ranger, focus?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Three of the story achievement mastery points are very difficult to get, but one of the episodes actually has really easy achievements. I think it's episode 3? It's all stuff that you can do by making different choices when replaying instances and nothing that requires actual skill not to fail IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Salad wars!

• Locked thread