Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Since you get 10 hero points per challenge in HoT areas, is it worth going back and maxing out all the points you can get in the old world? I never bothered to do that with any of my characters and was able to hit 100% on normal skills and specializations with what most of my characters had saved up, although only one had enough to hit the first the box of the elite specialization afterwards, so I'm not sure if it's worth trying to max it out on my Revenant that I'm working on those last 20 levels I wasn't able to fill out with tomes. If it is worth doing, any good maps showing them off? It's been a long time since I did any map completion and I happily dumped all that from memory the second I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

boho posted:

I'm playing a Revenant and the class only feels half there without Herald, but that's the downside of Herald being so well-integrated into every major build. I decided to level 1-80 without boosting and am finding that to be an excellent decision as I'm really learning each spec's ups and downs without Herald there to just make anything work.

I had planned on Sword/Sword Berserker, but now I'm leaning Mace/Axe Sinister. Mallyx and Shiro's stances are both kind of underwhelming for PvE -- Jalis has the best utility kit if anything -- but I feel like Mace/Axe is way more flexible than Sword/Sword. As the only ranged choice, Hammer seems like the mandatory swap weapon.

Staff is kind of left in a weird place -- while ostensibly for Ventari healing it's actually got robust utility, and I think Shield is a better healing weapon anyway. I'm not sure where it really fits other than pre-Herald Ventari. Maybe it would have been too powerful, but making Staff another ranged option would have been nice to at least provide a choice for ranged encounters.

So far so good on the expansion for me. I'll let the rest of the Internet figure out HoT and cry where appropriate. By the time I get there it should be a much smoother ride.

I ended up sticking almost exclusively with Shiro while leveling (still two more levels to go), switching to Jalis just to swap for energy. The main problem I'm having with the Revenant is the basic PvE stance (at least pre-HoT zones which I understand are more difficult) is basically just hit your auto-attack, turn on your burn power, and just wait until it's time to change stance and repeat. Also Shiro makes Axe useless, so Sword/Sword gives you a bit more of a safety valve if you need it. Admittedly Mace is the one weapon I haven't tried so I could be missing something.

I'm honestly kind of curious as to what your doing to make Shiro's stance seem lackluster because for everything I've tried it just blows the others out the water. I will admit that Jalis is even more invulnerable than a decked out Guardian though, especially with Sword/Sword and Hammer.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Mosthated posted:

Scrapper is now complete!!!! gently caress you hero points!

How is Scrapper, does it smooth out the need for running two or three kits and swapping between them every 5 seconds? I love Engineer but the insane pace of the skill rotation finally wore me down. Hell I'd be happy with a setup that doesn't require me to manually auto attack at least half the time.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Your Computer posted:

That sounds exactly like me :v: Ironically, the first class I've really felt like "this is it" with is the new class Revenant.

To be honest the thing I like most about the Revanant, and to a lesser extent this is true on Engineer, is you get rid of all the useless bullshit in utility selection. Sorry, but trying to juggle 100 combinations of skills and abilities to find what works best for me is more work than I want to put into any video game not based on something worth the effort. Ultimately it just forces people to choose relatively haphazardly and deal with it, or just cause an even bigger rush to forums to post questions about getting hand fed builds. With Revenant you've got very defined roles for each of the stances with their own set of utilities that are not fungible and it's far easier to work out good trait builds on your own by comparing the pre-formed skills in the stance to the trait trees instead of having to work out an entire trait tree to some combination of 5 skills out of a pool of 25 or whatever the average number is per class.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2015

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Wow, I just hit 80 earlier today and went to the first HoT zone on my Revenant (I'd just done the intro quest one of my other characters) and after exploring half the map there is literally just one item I've been able to interact with, the Flamethrower challenge banner just south of the entrance. Everything else pops up a notice that I have to complete some masteries before I can use them or insta kills me when I try to approach it (a couple of the Mastery Points).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ItBurns posted:

Get used to playing with other people I guess. You can do most of the hero ones with 3 people, some are soloable with the right classes.

I'm referring to ground terrain or areas that look like you can jump them only to find out you need that glider for the extra inch.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
With how difficult the fights can be in the HoT areas I'm hitting the wall on just how in the hell do you tell what is going on around you and how well you're doing? I mean I seem to just take damage randomly even when nothing is visibly hitting me or taking damage from enemies that are melee but too far away for them to hit me. Combat just seems to freaking random. It wasn't a big deal with big boss fights because it is just so chaotic in the first place and so many people/effects flying around it makes sense that you can't tell what's going on. And in the old zones the damage wasn't so high that just having wild health swings out of nowhere didn't really make that big of a deal. Now it is just infuriating to see it, especially when it's just me or with one or two other people taking on an event in Verdant. And now that I actually have to care about how well I can pump our damage or survive it's getting really frustrating that the only two indicators of combat performance (as far as I can see) is how fast I kill something and how fast my health goes down in similar fights. Hell, I've got several traits active that say they've got an effect, but if they do it's completely invisible to me and I'd love to know if they're even working.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I think I just hit the wall, only two and a half days in. Between the pile on of not being able to use elite specs until you're 350 points or more into them, the lack of combat feedback, and now I did my first attempt at doing some minor events to break up the zerg chain grind only to be slaughtered indiscriminately on non-group events that are blatantly tailored for a group and I'm just done. I'm too anti-social to deal with my only options for playing the PvE game to be only in the company of a few friends, following the zerg, or (maybe) buying gold to deck myself out in the best gear.

nessin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 26, 2015

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I read that as "casual friendless" and thought "yup that sums up my problem with the game right now". I unironically enjoy MMOs best solo :saddowns:

It's a running meme, but massive multiplayer doesn't mean playing with other people to accomplish a group goal. It just means a lot of people playing at once across a unified world. The entire experience of GW2 before Orr was solo sans dungeons and world bosses, and it was that way from the beginning.

Part of the little things piling up me that I didn't mention in my post are also a result of this. For example, the Verdant daytime event chain to rebuild the Pact has you vote for a leader after rescuing the three crew members. I don't know the final number, but since I started counting all 11 times I've seen that chain (which you can tell who got voted based on the event chain) it's ALWAYS been Master At Arms. And there is no way to change that unless you can convince dozens of other people to vote for someone else, something I've been unsuccessful at. Also of the few times I've played the Basin not once have I've seen the players beat the meta event, but my sample size is much smaller on that one. And sure I could ask for help (I'm not in the Goon Guild because I didn't want to eat up a slot for someone more dedicated that I am) in doing some things, like event chains or Hero challenges, but unless people are already interested in doing that I'm just asking people to stop whatever they're doing which is probably far more fun for them, especially if they've already unlocked the hero point or seen the event chain previously.

And there is the whole fact that the only way to get masteries to open up new content in the HoT zones is through following the zerg. Sure doing all the adventures will net you one or two mastery levels, and you've got the personal story which will probably be worth another couple by the end (although you have to unlock some masteries before even doing those) but even if you can complete the "non-group" events by yourself, they are extremely few and far between. 75%, if not more, of the events, the only method of getting consistent experience short of just killing enemies without an event, are impossible to do even with two or three people.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

khy posted:

How fast is levelling up in this game? Currently have a level 10 about to start personal story, just wondering how much poopsocking I'll need to put in to reach 70/80/whatever.

Experience scales per level so doing the same thing, regardless of where, rewards roughly the same percentage of experience. The first few levels are an exception given how quickly you earn story experience which is higher (percentage wise) than anything else, but basically how long it takes you to level from 10 to 11 is how long it will take you to level from 79 to 80.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ItBurns posted:

For real though the mob difficulty is fine.

Except those loving frog assassins and the couple packs of 10+ mini-raptors I've seen.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Hefty posted:

I haven't had a problem with the mini raptors, but the bow and arrow frogs and the ones that do the revenant sword 3 thing can gently caress off. Everything else has been pretty okay, though I did switch to soldier armor with berserker accessories. Things still die just as fast.

Have you hit the large packs of mini raptors that are difficult to avoid? Off the top of my head there is a tunnel running south on the west centerish side of Auric basin that you have to run through or divert through the city to get around, but the tunnel has 15 or so mini-raptors. They shred you nearly instantly, I only got through by loading up on condition abilities and having them burn themselves out so I'd keep rallying after falling in the first couple seconds.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there any reason to just throw random junk into the Mystic Forge? I tend to sell my random loot because I'm too lazy to try and figure a good price for the Auction House and don't care about the crafting materials, but I'm wondering is it worth throwing in the forge for a potential exotic, or do you have to follow specific recipes for exotic+ gear?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What is the best class for rolling through the story? I'm pretty sure I never finished Season 1, barely touched Season 2, but for some reason I'm interested (even if probably going to be totally confused) in Season 3 and just wondering what class has the least trouble with the story encounters?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of some fairly recent videos showing/discussing the classes? It's been so long since I played I barely remember anything about any of them, and I played just long enough to get the elite specs on those characters I had so everything I look at is level 80 elite specs with a crazy amount of options to go through.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I can't find one so I'm assuming it's still no, but did they ever add in a race change option? I made the mistake of leveling my Revenant as Asura and eventually got fed up with playing a small race.

I do still have my 80 boost so I could create a new one, but not sure how hard it would be to restock on hero points this long after HoT was new.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Not entirely sure why, but I'm failing hard at returning to GW2. My memories are hazy and I remember getting my butt handed to me many times in the HoT areas however it seems far far worse now than I ever remember. Like I'm just now running my Guardian through Tangled Depths, mostly aiming to get to Dragon Strand so I can join some meta event chains down there since I never saw that one and people say it's good for farming mastery points (which I need to finish the stupid Living World Season 3 Episode 1 arc). In any case, aside from having no memory how to navigate the Tangled Depths again, I'm running around trying to get the Waypoints and it's borderline impossible. Regular enemies will eat away a quarter of my health in one shot without a telegraph. And if I get hit by any telegraph I'm basically dead. The first hit might not kill me but any single regular hit afterwards will. If I attempt to fight my way through I can handle two enemies, but three will crush me.

Part of the problem is just I'm relearning how to actually fight, I am doing this on my Guardian with it's low health to begin with, and I'm in Berserker gear. But I've got the same problem on my Revenant which is the one I'm trying to take through the story itself. I could barely kill a single Veteran in Bloodstone, and a White Maw Knight plus Caster regular mob felt like fighting a Champion at some points. And my Revenant actually has Solider gear specifically so I could do stuff like the story without a lot of problems back when I last played. And worst of all, I've got no clue what to do about it. I've tried a couple builds online, tried a few of my own modifications since I'm just running around by myself at the moment, and I've at least got a basic understanding of how my class works after coming back, but still dying in seconds, unable to even run to a freaking waypoint.

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 27, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Post your build and gear (including weapons and runes). You shouldn't be having that much trouble, HoT zones are easy as pie for me as a dragonhunter.

At the moment I'm using the Hammer Build here:
http://qtfy.eu/build/guardian

Exotic Berserker's armor with Flame Legion Sigils
Exotic Berserker's Hammer with Blood Sigil (just what was cheapest in the AH when I switched earlier to trying this build)
Rare Berserker's Scepter with Force and Rare Focus
All Berserker Accessories with Beryl Orbs

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of a good write-up or video explaining how to Revenant? I understand the energy system, or at least think I do, and feel I've got a good handle on the right bar skills individually but I'm not sure how to really either exploit the system or chain together the skills for the best effects. Primarily just for open world and WvW work.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Speaking of Rev's, is Centaur stance useful anywhere? I'm not going to bother buying up gear and learning the skills if it's useless but if it can actually do a meaningful job in WvW I may take the time to learn.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a way I can make Engineer tolerable when I don't want to play a speed demon variant of whack-a-mole? Putting out a lot of damage is fine but doing meta events, story, or just random events I care more about living and not seeing how much torture my 1 button can take before giving out.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Schpyder posted:

All of them. They all unlock cool new zones. The boss fight for head of the snake is probably the worst designed thing I've ever seen in GW2, though.

I'd say 2, 4, & 5 were pretty disappointing. Although if you're going all in on the story then 5 is pretty mandatory.

My opinion of 2 is probably colored by the fact that it's really annoying to get around without Ley Line gliding and has that god awful jumping puzzle.

4 just felt very bland and felt like the writing was just in a "let's get this arc over with" mode.

5 I just didn't like the zone. It may not be as bad as Tangled Depths but something about the layout took me a lot longer to figure out and even now I depend on working off a couple key points as a starting location for wherever I need to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Weird that Mesmer, Engineer, and Revenant didn't get a weapon announcement. I suppose Engineer's holoweapons may count but still seems kinda sucky considering I like Rev and Engi.

• Locked thread