Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
So i find myself with time to play GW2 again.

How did the EU raid work out? Full every week with people on the bench or generally lacking members? Is there still room to join? Which professions are desired?

I enjoy playing necro but am a bit concerned about the changes they received in the most recent patch. We all know how fickle pubbie mids are and how they react to changes, particularly in terms of accepting certain professions into their groups or not. Is getting into groups going to be a problem for necro going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Quitte posted:

EU raid is every monday at 1800 UTC. We usually get 10 people but not all of them are regulars (yet). We will reserve a spot for anyone who ask for it so :getin: before we're full.

Alright!

1800 is a wee bit early for me, we put the kids to bed at 1730ish and sometimes that creeps closer towards 1800. I should be good for 1815 though! Which professions are desired?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

You can sell BL chests on the TP?!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Could someone throw together a guardian build for me for soloing/exploring in HoT before i have Dragonhunter unlocked?
Its primary purpose is to unlock DH.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I wish I would just focus on one drat character for change instead of having lots of alts (and naturally having to kit them out as well) so maybe I could afford some high-end stuff for my main character, like a legendary or something. It was the same in GW1 and then LoTRO, and I thought "with GW2 I have learned" but no, it's still the same thing.

I wouldn't mind being able to focus on a single profession as well but the game is so polarized in what professions are good at which activities. My druid is great at raids, my necro is great at solo world pve, my warrior is great at world raids (and raids but i haven't brought it there), mesmer is great at jumping puzzles etc. I like focusing on a single character in MMOs but its not so bad in GW2 since almost everything is account wide. Like literally everything is, except character levels and gear that is exotic and rare. Green and below gear doesn't even bind.
I do find myself mostly playing my necro and druid though, and virtually never use the other professions

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

What is "account recovery" an euphemism for?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

I was just taking a look at this. I havent played since before HoT launched and havent heard much positive about the game since then. Lately though I just havent heard anything at all. How is the game doing these days?

The game is great, HoT is hella great. The maps are big sprawling labyrinths with vertical and horizontal exploration, tons of secrets and challenges and a real sense of accomplishment when you realise you know the layouts so well you can move about freely without wondering where you are. I have literally never gotten that from map exploration in any MMO. WoW in particular fails spectacularly at this with every map being just a bumpy pancake without any layers.
The meta events are tons of fun. A big hour long event that culminates in a boss fight? sign me up!
Gliding is one of the best features in the MMO industry. (You can even use it in pre-HoT content!)

I have not played GW2 for long and i raced to max level and HoT after starting so i never really played the old game that much. After feeling i had explored HoT thoroughly i tried out the pre-HoT world a bit and it is so loving boring. The "events" are all almost soloable and does not chain into other things, the bosses are really boring (tequatl, shatterer, the norn drake) or completely overtuned (triple trouble)
I honestly don't understand how the game survived getting to HoT as the pre-HoT content is so boring.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 15, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I would't give two shits about Triple Trouble if it wasn't for the fact that it gives FIVE tyria mastery points, a currency which is already really god drat hard to get. In fact, if you do not buy Living Story 2 AND complete some of the big meta achievements there, you cannot get enough tyria mastery points without the Triple Trouble ones to cap your masteries.

This entire game is designed around "show up to event and be reasonably competent at playing your profession and dodging circles on the ground and you all will succeed" and then you have Triple Trouble which is an event in an open world leveling zone (so it naturally attracts a ton of players without good builds or gear) tuned for a perfectly executed organised raid.
I have been to ORGANISED events, by a guild literally formed to do TT (RnT), every day for a month without the raid killing a single head, let alone all 3 at the same time. I think the closest attempt at kiling all 3 was Amber at 5% and the other two heads at 10%. Virtually every single attempt sees a couple of heads at 5-10% though, which tells me that the event is overtuned. If they reduced their health by 10% there would be a reasonable amount of successful events (70-80%)
I have never seen a Tequatl, shatterer, dragons stand etc fail yet TT never succeeds so TT is in no way fine or balanced.

To be able to cap Tyria masteries i need to do the entirety of LS2, do 3 meta achievements in LS2, need to collect all the spoons, need to do the luminescent armor collection in silverwastes and need to explore the entire map (good god i cannot think of anything more boring)

I am an EU player playing on the US Goon server so the only TT raid i can participate in is the one at 21.00 my time (which is like 3 pm eastcoast USA) which is part of the problem i guess.

neongrey posted:

That said, if you wanna fill out your cheevs for it and you're on late night, the 2am (CST) triple trouble is almost always successful.

When is this in UTC?

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 15, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Sekkira posted:

http://ttsgamers.com/event-calendar/

Come to TTS, it's extremely rare we fail TT, hopefully you can make one of those times? :<

Looks like it is a 4.30 to 5.30 AM my time. I suppose i can get up that early one time. Do i need to join TTS to participate?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

neongrey posted:

Oooh, yeah, the afternoon slot is awfullllllllll. Not much I can suggest if that's the only one you can make regularly. RnT are the guys I go with but it's our secondary timeslot. I do not understand how 2am is somehow more feasible than 2pm so very consistently. Nerds, I guess.

So, RnT mainslot will be at 9 am your time. We pretty much always succeed but that's clearly gonna be unreasonable for you.

9 AM isn't so bad. I can just go home instead of going to work after dropping my daughter off in kindergarden, then go to work at 10 AM instead (very flexible hours). How did you calculate it is 9 AM my time though? I have never been more confused with timezones in a MMO than this.
In WoW "server time" and all webpages you look at adjusts to your own time. In Eve Online every timer is always in GMT (+0). In GW2 they use GMT, UTC and PST interchangeably. These are not always aligned. GMT observes DST whereas UTC does not, for example (afaik)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Got my thief to 80 and fully elite specced out.

Trying out a build with staff and pistol/pistol, with acrobatics, critical strikes and daredevil. It works but i was expecting to be dodging a lot more stuff.

What is the thief build that dodges/tanks everything yet dishes out mad dps? A great solo build? (of champions and what not)

E.g. what build is Brazil using in this video? Skip to 3:30 and watch him kick the crap out of the Mad King without taking damage.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

Are these builds, the standard PVE build with your Trickery addition, "the solo build" or are there better ones?

The one i am using atm is very binary. I either survive for ages and can take out decently big packs or i just get instantly squished at the start of a fight.
I have heard that "thief can dodge everything all the time" but am not really seeing it with my build. In fact the only reason i dodge stuff is because of staff#4?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

HoT mastery points are very abundant and easy to get.
You get a whole bunch of them from just doing the various HoT map meta events.
You get 2 for each gold adventure (many of them are quite easy)
You get 1 for each silver adventure (all the ones you cannot gold)
You get a bunch "for free" from the Living World 3 maps.
You get a bunch from the HoT story missions.

Tyria mastery points is on a whole other level.
If you do not buy Living World 2 you must get virtually all other available points. These include ones such as emperors new wardrobe (costs around 500 gold), the luminescent armor set (requires around 30 meta completions of silverwastes as well as a ton of grinding other things, the fractal weapon ones (2 different achievements with 19 weapons on each. I have done a decent amount of fractals and not gotten a single one of these weapons). You also need to do the outdoor raid boss achievements, such as Tequatl (2 points) and Triple Trouble (5 points).
You get quite a lot of Tyria points from the fractal achievements, many of these are quite easy. I knocked out all of these achievements in 2 evenings of play.
You get 5? points from doing the personal story. The Wiki shows separate achievements for each race but you only need to do the full story on 1 race to get all the mastery points.

If you buy Living World 2 you get 8 Tyria mastery points "for free" by just doing the story, 1 point for each chapter. You get an additional point from doing the achievements in each chapter but some of these are exceptionally difficult.

I have maxed out my HoT masteries and have not done chapters 2, 3 or 4 of the story nor picked up any points from the LW3EP3 zone. Thats like 11 easy ones right there.

I have maxed out my Tyria masteries and have not done certain easy ones such as dungeon explorer or map completion. I do have LW2 though and have gotten 8 from that.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 25, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Magres posted:

Probably the most tedious part will be doing the Personal Story once on each race, but that's still loads better than garbage like Emperor's New Wardrobe.

You only can/need to do the personal story once, you won't get more points by doing it with other races.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

If you were talking about Adventures for HoT masteries, here ya go!:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4ifrmo/guide_adventures_silver_gold_and_beyond/

In summary, from easiest to hardest:

Not sure i agree with this list.

Fallen Masks is nigh impossible and requires extreme luck as well as no fumbling with the environment, easily the hardest gold adventure to the point where the second hardest one cannot be more than 8/10 in comparison. (shooting Gallery and The FLoor is Lava)
Scrap Rifle Field test gold is not all that hard, 7/10 maybe, definitely not 10/10.
A Fungos Among Us is downright easy, 4/10 gold.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

There aren't really well publicized solo builds because most of the open world/solo content is either faceroll easy, or a group event or champion that you're not really supposed to be soloing and already need to know your class well to beat. The HoT maps are full of mobs that are actually sort of a challenge to fight, but you can usually get away with using the typical full DPS gear and builds with some minor exceptions, e.g. the Tactics line on a Warrior isn't that great when you're alone and can be swapped with pretty much anything else. There's also no shame in using a ranged weapon and kiting things that would crush you in melee, since you're not slowing down a group.

The Thief dodging everything thing comes a lot from PvP where they tend to run burst damage builds with a lot of effects that restore endurance, evade, blind, stun, teleport away, etc. and are played by people whose sole interest in life is to kill people with their Thief in PvP. So you end up fighting a group of 4 people who are average to good with a couple classes and one rear end in a top hat in a black and white scarf with that flower hair and fire dagger who completely no-sells you again god damnit Respawning in 15

I see

How would you rate thief for open world PVE soloing for a build made for that purpose? And how wold that build look? I am talking about veterans, champions, etc. While i agree that some PVE areas are faceroll easy, that stops with veterans in tyria. Anything in HoT is challenging, veterans and champions particularly so. Also the attitude that PVE is faceroll easy and that builds arent required is the reason meta events fail. People need to stop saying this as it only ever was true for random enemies in the Tyria open world.
I don't agree that champions should not be soloed, because what else is there to strive for in this game? Spam AB multimaps for gold and eventually get a legendary? For what?

I am still trying to find a "main" to stick with and fully ascend and maybe even get a legendary on, but i don't feel like my quest so far has been successful. I have leveled all 9 professions to HoT-max now and have played them all a decent amount, some more than others. Again and again i find it a lot more fun to play professions that has slight semblance of staying power in fights.
Playing most professions feels like a desperate attempt to stave of the inevitable defeat, while frantically rummaging through my skills lists trying to find something, anything, that works, before dying. And this is just in HP fights or metas. I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be to play most of the professions in the LW2 or HoT story missions. The whole philosophy around this game is that there is no holy trinity, no tanks or healers, and that you are supposed to survive with your heal skill and dodges yet there is such a ridiculous amount of things to dodge you run out of endurance long before you are done dodging, on top of there being a ton of flat out unavoidable damage.

So far druid, necro, guardian and (surprisingly) thief has been the most enjoyable to play. All because i am able to survive for a while with these professions. Druid and necro because they have great sustain and i find condi an interesting play style.Thief because staff is cool and i am able to stay alive for a surprisingly long time. Guardian mostly because i like the "paladin" archetype and a plate wearer with a longbow is pretty cool. I haven't really found a great guardian solo build yet though, even though they are supposed to be great soloer.
I would also like to try "THE solo build" for thief, as it is still not clear to me if that is what i am playing atm?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

When is it realistic to assume we will start getting some info on the expansion? If this had been WoW we would have been showered in details for half a year by now.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Wow, so they ARE adding mounts to the game.

And TWO new elite specs for each profession.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

CaptainSwanky posted:

Healing Guardian honestly trivializes all of the content in the game because the heal output and block spam negates nearly every mechanic.

Link to this build?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anet was smart they would probably put out some vague announcement stuff for the next expansion right around now, but, that requires them to be smart about something

Yeah it is about time we get some information of an expansion and/or future content.

I haven't played the game in a while and am rapidly forgetting about it with this total lack of anything happening to it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

McSpanky posted:

How necessary is buying the expansion to the overall enjoyment of the game, is it mostly endgame stuff or are we talking freemium paywall here.

The only content i find fun is HoT (the expansion) and would not be playing this game at all if that content had not existed.
That content is also some of the best content of that type in any MMO.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Disagree, I got sooooo much more enjoyment out of the non-HoT part of the game. The only good parts of the expansion for me were gliding and the class specializations.

Speaking of, let's wildly speculate about the next expansion. Crystal Desert? Elona? Guardian axe? Engineer mace? Mounts?

The pre-HoT zones are so boring. They are all just a big open space, and 1 level. There is no challenge or any interesting mechanics. No meta events and nothing to do.

HoT is dark and mysterious, challenging and rewarding, and a gigantic sense of accomplishment when you learn to navigate the zones. Lots of stuff happening all over the zones all the time as well as big meta events involving the whole map every 2 hours.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Ragequit posted:

I haven't played in well over a year, and generally solo things. If I don't care much about PvP/WvW, how is the new HoT content? It's on sale for $25 so I was considering picking it up to try the new specializations (assuming they aren't hard to unlock) and Revenant class. Don't care much about the story either, as I generally just listen to podcasts and jump around and/or smash things. Will probably have to learn everything all over again as I imagine lots of new UI/class changes were implemented in the last year, so I'll avoid using the 80 boost immediately.

We had this discussion on the last page.

Some people like it, some dont.

HoT is the only reason i enjoyed this game so much. YMMW

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Could someone quickly summarise what all those changes means for the various professions/metabuilds? (particularly ele, ranger and guardian)

I am really bad at remembering the various skill names and recognize them from their buttons so patch notes is just a wall of text for me. Also the game is not installed at the moment but if the changes means for new and interesting gameplay i might come back and check it out.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Excellent, the 1 event i have been waiting for for a year is at the same time as my vacation.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

graynull posted:

I have an odd little question. I just used my 80 boost on a necro (played one years ago but wanted to remake him to change races). I was planning on doing some catchup at least of my personal story stuff before heading into the HoT areas but I have already maxed out my first Mastery level exp bar. Does the experience accumulate even though the bar is full, or should I go do the first few HoT chapters to unlock mastery so as to not waste any exp?

Unlock masteries ASAP. They are very important for HoT mobility and in general make HoT a ton of fun. Also, the gliding skills help you in Tyria as well.

I had a similar question when i was new to HoT. I remember reading that xp carries over into the next mastery skill on the mastery path you have currently selected but found this to not be true.
You want to unlock as many mastery paths as possible so you can funnel your XP into another path once you have maxed a skill in your current path, if you are lacking mastery points at the moment (or don't want to spend them)

You will likely find yourself both in the situation where you have maxed a mastery or 2 but don't have the mastery points to learn the skill and the situation where you have enough mastery points to learn a skill but no skills are fully XP'd. The first time you go to dragons stand for example, you will have mastery points raining down on you. (I think i had 19 at once at some point, and nothing to spend it in)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Havent played this game in quite a while. Pretty hyped about the expansion; even tohught the leaks might be fake to a small or large degree at least some of it is probably correct by mere chance.

I have never understood all this secrecy and NDA nonsense. Blizzard showers players in expansion pack info for over a year before an expansion releases, to the point that virtually everything is already explored and discovered by the time the expansion launches, and they sell like 5 million expansion packs on the launch day.
"Lesser" games and developers keeps everything under a NDA up until literally the day of release. The only reason i can think of for this, having seen Everquest 2''s reason for NDAs (tons of unfinished content and very little content in general in expansion packs; NDA is there to get people to preorder) is because the content they are about to deliver is not actually up to par.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

How is Rev these days?
It's a class I should love but I never clicked.

I have played all classes to 80 and elite spec (im not much of a grinder so this took a surprisingly short amount of time) and revenant was hella fun to level.
It is by far the least fun class to play in level 80 content though. I don't know what it is about it but it was completly unenjoyable.

Expansion talk: i hope they add more sources for legendary armor token things. I wouldn't mind having legendary armor since it can swap the stats on the fly, perfect for someone like me who can't decide on what class or spec to play. Also i actually think that legendary medium armor looks cool.
I don't really understand why you HAVE to raid to get the tokens. Everything else in the game, legendary weapons included, is entirely a solo effort and obtainable casually, but for legendary armor you need to be a gigantic tryhard and grind raids for literally 12 weeks.

I'll probably not get the expansion (and consequently not play this game again) if they don't change this. Not because i am salty about not getting legendary armor, but because gating certain features behind raids is a lovely thing to do in "the most casual MMO" and i don't want to support a precedence of making features unavailable for certain parts of the player base.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 10, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Rakeris posted:

My problem is never the exp, it's always the mastery points, I never seem to have enough red ones.

Some of them are "free", e.g. diving master.
Many of them are easy, but time consuming, e.g. map completion
Some of them are "easy" but requires a ton of money, like the one where you need 90 cultural armors.

If you want to max your Tyria masteries you either need Living Season 2 (8 free points for completing the story), or you need to do every single available Tyria mastery except 1, as there is 1 spare.
Considering the price and time investment for some of those, i would recommend buying Living season 2.

IIRC this is what i did to max my Tyria masteries:
Triple trouble raid 3 times, once for each color. This will give you 5 masteries.
Living Story all 8 chapters is another 8.
All the various free/easy ones.
Tequatl raid + meta achievement (or however you spell it), another 2.
The easy ones in Silver Wastes; kill 4 bosses and discover all the badges (SW also doubles as a great place to level mastery experience)
All the ones from Fractals (easier than it sounds)

You should not need any of the collection ones.

After this i had maxed my Tyria masteries and had 1 Tyria mastery point spare.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

Did any of the elite specs fundamentally change the base classes' gimmick? Turrets to gyros isn't that big of a deal. Rangers still have pets.

Elementalists can overload their attunement
Guardians got a bow
Rangers can be a healer

Just a few examples amongst many.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Incoming Tyria mastery effort post:

Here is the list of mastery points.

I categorized them below.
Easy ones are ones that you either get with little effort, you get "for free" from completing the story or ones that can easily be soloed they just take time
Medium are ones that require a bit more effort and planning but shouldn't be too difficult to complete.
Hard are ones that are actually hard
Stay away are masteries that are extremely difficult and/or expensive

You will need 49 Tyria points in total. If you do all the easy and medium ones you will get 53 which is more than enough. I recommend not doing Koutalophile, the Tequatl meta achievement and skip the fractal ones you aren't able to do in a few tries. Personally i was able to knock out all the fractal ones in a couple of hours in a SFD/GOON group.

Easy: (26 in total)
Koutalophile - can be time consuming depending on luck. One of the items requires spending a bunch of Laurels so save this one for later. I personally do not have this mastery.
Amber Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Cobalt Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Crimson Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Karka Queen Killer - just show up for the event and kill her
Ruler of Shinies - just show up for the event and kill her
Dive Master - just run around and do all the dives
Been There, Done That - explore the map!
Dungeons Discovered - do the dungeons!
Master of Heroics - get to level 80
Hidden Garden - do a easy jumping puzzle
Slaughter in the Swamp - just show up and kill Tequatl
The Annihilator - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Demolisher - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Executioner - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Tormentor - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
Triple Trouble* - Easy to do while you do the great jungle worm
Wurmicidal Maniac* - You get this for free when you have killed 3 different great jungle worm heads.
Story - 8 possible in total - I did not list all these are there are a ton. You will get 8 mastery points in total, out of 25 possible, as you will only get credit for completing the story on 1 race. Playing through the story once will gget you 8 mastery points "for free".

Medium (27 in total)
Living Season 2 (8 in total): Echoes of the Past Episode, Entanglement Episode, Gates of Maguuma Episode, Point of No Return Episode, Seeds of Truth Episode, Tangled Paths Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Completed! - While this is PVE content a few of the encounters can be challenging if your build isn't very good.
Lion's Arch Exterminator - Requires a few tricky jumps, and to complete one of the Lion's Arch jumping puzzles
The Fractal ones (14 in total): Carrier Cacophony, Fancy Footwork, Flawless Fins Foil Foes, Holo-Hornpipe, Hop, Skip, and Jump, Horrik's Horror, If We Only Had Marshmallows, Open Grave, Out of Cluck, Shockwave Skipper, Subject 6 Deep-Sixer, Take a Bow, The Floor Is Lava. Don't Step In It., Weapons Tester - medium because they requires a group, some of them are only available for a short time, and some require you to get a group to want to do it.
Go for the Gold - Requires lots of creative jumps in Silverwastes (and a guide) (can't be done at the same time as the JP)
Retrospective Runaround - A jumping puzzle in Silverwastes with several challenging sections
The Be-All and the End-All - Kill all 4 different bosses in the Silverwastes, can be time consuming.
Tequatl the Sunless - requires you to do a difficult achievement to dodge Tequatls tail swipe. It is completely random whether you get it or not.

Hard (8 in total)
Living Season 2 meta achievements: Echoes of the Past Mastery, Entanglement Mastery, Gates of Maguuma Mastery, Point of No Return Mastery, Seeds of Truth Mastery, Tangled Paths Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Mastery - Hard because many of the achievements are very hard, some are nigh impossible. You do not need to do any of the LS2 meta achievements if you do all the easy and medium masteries.

Stay away (6 in total)
The Emperor's New Wardrobe - It is like 500 gold + other resources to finish this one
Ambrite Weapon Collection - extremely time consuming
Ascended Accoutrement - extremely expensive
Bioluminescence - very time consuming
Fractal Master - mama mia
Gold Fractal Master - oh no, just don't

*I listed the great jungle worm masteries under easy. If you find an organized group to do this event these masteries are easy. The event itself is diffucult however and is not possible to do with people randomly showing up. The guild RnT organizes this event twice per day (on US realms). The event that is in the evenings for US time/morning for EU time was always successful in my experience, while the event in US mornings/EU evenings NEVER succeeded.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 22, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is amazing, you cool if I link it from the OP? You should do a maguuma one too, just sayin

Feel free to link it!

I can do a Maguuma one as well

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

I had 3 :smug:

Also, the only tyrian masteries that are actually important are the pact one and the fractal one (only if you care about fractals). Precursor crafting is an expensive trap, so unless you're a completionist or really want a second-generation legendary, you can safely skip that one.

While this is true, if you have not maxed your masteries you are missing out on the spirit shards you get for every 300k xp. These add up surprisingly quickly. If you get the Triple Trouble related masteries (which you MUST get to avoid having to do the extremely difficult masteries) done then maxing tyria masteries is not actually that difficult, it is just requires some planning and will take a while.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heart of Thorns mastery effort post:
I have made an attept at categorizing all the Heart of Thorns masteries below. They are sorted into which zone they are in, and further categorized into which type of mastery. The order of the zones is the natural way you will explore Heart of Thorns.
I have tried to be objective when placing the mastery points in a difficulty category. All the easy ones are ones that I personally had no problems doing, and I have very little patience for grinding out content like this.
Easy - These are masteries you will get by default from e.g. completing the story or are otherwise very easy to get.
Medium – These require a bit of practice and/or studying guides more carefully, but should not be very challenging to acquire.
Hard- These will require a lot of practice, some luck, and in some cases the correct professions
Extremely Difficult – These will require an extreme amount of practice and dedication, as well as luck and the correct profession. These should only be attempted by players who wish to get every single achievement.

Please note: When you enter Heart of Thorns you will struggle to move around and explore. There are many masteries that make exploration much easier. Many mastery points are a lot easier to acquire with these masteries, or flat out require certain masteries to be reachable. The difficulty stated for individual masteries assume that you have these required masteries.
I recommend getting your Heart of Thorns masteries in the following order, with key ones in bold. These will all make it easier and easier to move around in Heart of Thorns:
Glider Basics, Updraft Use, Bouncing Mushrooms, Nuhoch Hunting, Nuhoch Wallows, Lean Techniques, Exalted Markings, Exalted acceptance, Stealth Gliding, Advanced Gliding

*Heart of Thorns Story*
Easy:
Establishing a Foothold, In Their Footsteps, Prisoners of the Dragon, The Jungle Provides, Torn from the Sky, City of Hope, Prized Possessions, Strange Observations, The Predator's Path, Buried Insight, Roots of Terror, Sign Cutting, The Way In, Bitter Harvest, Hearts and Minds – Just do the storyline and you will get all these for free
Heart of Thorns Act III Mastery - Play through the episode normally to all the achievements
Hard
Heart of Thorns Act I Mastery,Heart of Thorns Act II Mastery - Play through the episodes to unlock all the achievements
Extremely Difficult
Heart of Thorns Act IV Mastery – Requires doing the Migraine achievement which is aptly named.

*Verdant Brink*
Strongboxes – all easy - guide
Faren's Flyer Strongbox, Glory of Tyria Strongbox, Lethal Vantage Strongbox, Mellaggan's Valor Strongbox, Thunderbreaker Strongbox

Adventures
Easy
Bronzer – It is easy to get Bronze rating on all Verdant Brink adventures
Bugs in the Branches: Silver – Easily doable on silver with 2-3 practice attempts
Flying Circus: Silver – Easily doable on silver with 2-3 practice attempts
Salvage Pit: Gold – Should be doable on gold on your very first attempt on an adventure, ever, it is THAT easy
Salvage Pit: Silver – see above
Tendril Torchers: Silver – Easily doable on silver, hint: look up
Medium
Bugs in the Branches: Gold – Gold can be had with a bit of practice
Flying Circus: Gold – Gold can be had with a bit of practice
Shooting Gallery: Silver – Silver can be had with a bit of practice
Hard
Tendril Torchers: Gold – This one requires thorough planning and a lot of practice
Extremely Difficult
Shooting Gallery: Gold – One of the hardest adventures in the game, considered nigh impossible

Meta events and exploration
Ground Pounder – Easy, but takes quite a while to do
Jungle Totem Hunter – Easy, just follow a guide
Sky Commander – Easy, just defeat all 5 nightfall bosses during the VB meta event. Requires participation in 5 events (1 boss per event)
Dive Master: Verdant Brink – Easy, just jump off at the correct spot and don’t hit the ground!

*Auric Basin*
Endurance Strongbox, Obsidian Triumph Strongbox, Slice of Sky Strongbox, Straight and Narrow Strongbox, Vengeance Rising Strongbox

Adventures
Easy
On Wings of Gold: Gold - Gold can be had with a bit of practice
On Wings of Gold: Silver - Gold can be had with a bit of practice
Medium
A Fungus Among Us: Silver – Silver can be had with a bit of practice
Hard
A Fungus Among Us: Gold - Gotta practice this one for a while
Fallen Masks: Silver - Requires a bit of luck but is miles easier than gold
Sanctum Scramble: Silver - Requires great execution
The Floor Is Lava?: Silver - Difficult even on silver, requires memorization of a good route
Extremely Difficult
Fallen Masks: Gold - Requires extreme luck, perfect dodging and the correct profession
Sanctum Scramble: Gold - Requires perfect execution
The Floor Is Lava?: Gold - No luck required but perfect memorization of the optimal route is required

Easy
Droppin' Bombs – Participate in the meta event, grab a few bombs and glide to the octovine and bomb it, easy
Forgotten City Arches - Just fly under the arches over the river that runs from the eastern Tarir entrance and to the center
Invisible King – Get to the lower Tarnished Treetop and smack him around
Tarir Challenge Winner – While this is competitive (against other players) most people participate in these to progress the meta event and will likely let someone win if they ask
Hard
Vinetooth Hunter – Participate in this event and kill him (personally i did this guy many times without any problems, but others in this thread report having problems with this guy)

*Tangled Depths*
Strongboxes – All easy - guide
Cryptonym Strongbox, Plains of Golghein Strongbox, Shard of Brilliance Strongbox, Sword of Smodur Strongbox, Whitebear's Pride II Strongbox

Adventures
Easy
Beetle Feast: Silver – Easy, just go do it
Drone Race: Silver – Easy, just go do it
The Ley-Line Run: Silver – Easy, just go do it
Medium
Beetle Feast: Gold – Requires a bit of practice
Drone Race: Gold – Requires a bit of practice
Haywire Punch-o-Matic Battle: Silver – Requires a bit of practice
The Ley-Line Run: Gold – Requires a bit of practice
Hard
Haywire Punch-o-Matic Battle: Gold – Requires optimal play and luck
Scrap Rifle Field Test: Silver – Hard as both silver and gold because you need to practice using the scrap rifle and understand how it works. Once you understand the scrap rifle, silver is doable.
Scrap Rifle Field Test: Gold – Hard requires understanding as well as a perfect route.

Easy
Chak Crusher – Participate in the Chak Driver event
Cloak and Snagger – Requires stealth gliding, once you have that just fly past some mordrem and “dodge” mid-air
Dive Master: Chak Hive – Dive!
Friend of the Frogs – Easy but time consuming, participate in the whole event chain after the Chak Gerent meta ends
Honorary Ogre – Easy but time consuming, participate in the whole event chain after the Chak Gerent meta ends
Honorary Rata Novan – Easy but time consuming, participate in the whole event chain after the Chak Gerent meta ends
Lore Untangler - Easy but requires a lot of time and probably a guide
SCAR Supporter – Easy but time consuming, participate in the whole event chain after the Chak Gerent meta ends
Medium
Master Mushroom Spelunker – Medium because Jumping Puzzle
Potoni Masher – Medium because you need a group to kill this dude
Pulse Room Glider – Gotta be an experienced glider for this
Regurgicidal – Medium because people rarely do this event

*Dragon’s Stand*
Dragonrender Strongbox, Legacy of Owl Strongbox, Pride of Lion's Arch Strongbox, Scorchrazor II Strongbox, Unsolved Conundrum Strongbox
Meta event and exploration
Easy – Dragon’s Stand meta event is divided into 3 “lanes”, doing all 3 lanes once will get you most of these mastery points
Bat Wrangler – Participate in the meta
Central Tower Taker – Interact with the mastery point once the meta event has progressed to the final stage
Dragon's Stand Overviewer
Enchanted Armor Wearer – Requires exalted mastery
Fire Jumper – Participate in the meta
Laser Lighter – Participate in the meta
Munition Re-Upper – Participate in the meta
Mushroom Musterer – Participate in the meta
Northern Tower Taker – Interact with the mastery point once the meta event has progressed to the final stage
Pact Pilot Protector – Participate in the meta
Prismatic Plunderer – Participate in the meta
Shooting Star - The area opens up after the whole meta is completed
Southern Tower Taker – Interact with the mastery point once the meta event has progressed to the final stage
Tamer of Wyverns
Wallowing Whiz – Requires Nuhoch Wallows mastery
Medium
Ley Line Glider – Requires Ley Line gliding mastery which is very expensive
Prismatic Percher – Can be challenging even with a guide if you are an inexperienced glider
Sum Viewer - Can be challenging even with a guide if you are an inexperienced glider

*Mastery Insights*
All these are easy and just require you to go to a channel point and channel to get the mastery. The challenge is in finding them.
Verdant Brink guide
Auric Basin guide
Tangled depths guide

Auric Basin Insight: Burnisher Quarry
Auric Basin Insight: Eastwatch Bluff
Auric Basin Insight: Jawatl Grounds
Auric Basin Insight: Lastgear Standing
Auric Basin Insight: Luminate's Throne
Auric Basin Insight: Masks of the Fallen
Auric Basin Insight: Southwatch Creep
Auric Basin Insight: The Falls
Tangled Depths Insight: Northern Confluence
Tangled Depths Insight: Nuhoch Lane
Tangled Depths Insight: Order of Whispers Outpost
Tangled Depths Insight: Terraced Hive
Tangled Depths Insight: Twisting Viaduct
Verdant Brink Insight: Canopy Over Pact Encampment
Verdant Brink Insight: Creaking Cavern
Verdant Brink Insight: Creeping Crevasse
Verdant Brink Insight: Fumerol Caves
Verdant Brink Insight: Heartless Pass
Verdant Brink Insight: Holdfast Hollow
Verdant Brink Insight: Outside Noble Ledges
Verdant Brink Insight: The Corpse Grove
Verdant Brink Insight: Thistlevine Ravine

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 24, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Schpyder posted:

Regarding HoT mastery points:

This one is in no way easy, it's a hard DPS and CC check, requires a fairly large (40+) group, and fails roughly 90% of the time it's attempted. You need a lot of luck to land in a successful Vinetooth Prime event.

Huh, that doesn't match my experience at all.

I have never seen a single failed attempt at him, and i have killed him 20ish times.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

The legendary vinetooth that shows up after doing the Eastwatch pylons, right?

Thats the one!

I changed this mastery to Hard based on the input, despite never having had any problems with that encounter.

I recategorized the Heart of Thorns story meta achievements as well

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Ambi posted:

Is there actually any trick to getting the Tail Sweep achievement for Tequatl? I keep not getting it, and he never gets a chance to stomp in later phases nowadays. Did get a Wupwup weapon chest from today's first attempt though, first ascended box to drop for me so far.

Yep, see below

Trebuchet King posted:

I've been told just get feared while behind him but that hasn't quite worked for me yet.

Not this (very luck based)

Eltoasto posted:

I gave up trying to predict it, so just stood behind him and dodge rolled a bunch, i think it only took 2-3 teqs to get it.

But this! (not as luck based)

The achievement triggers if he tail swipes and you take no damage. If you do this on a mesmer you can put up some of those shields in addition to dodging and have more chances of not taking damage when he tail swipes, whereas other professions only get a few dodges in.
Getting feared and tail swiped at the same time is possible but luck based.

Personal anecdote: i tried to get this achievement on 3 raids with my warrior and failed. Then i tried it with my mesmer and succeeded on the first tail swipe.

Blasphemeral posted:

Congrats, Ineptitude. For your excellent effort posts aimed at helping others achieve the mastery that you enjoy, I hereby award you with a new avatar. Go forth and continue to be a badass.

Oh my :blush:

Thanks!

http://faedine.com/games/crank/b39/

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 26, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Jinh posted:

Papal Mainframe posted:

Human female thief owner reporting in.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

Am I going to have to do literally everything that awards mastery points if I want to unlock all the masteries, or are there enough points I haven't accounted for that I can pick and choose? Like do I need to be prepared to try to gold every adventure and do all the HoT story achievements?

Getting enough Maguuma mastery points to max all the mastery tracks before they added the Living Story 3 maps was easy enough, now it is super easy. Each of the LS3 maps added 3-4 easy masteries. Just play the game and you will get most of them.

Tyria masteries is a whole other matter and require you to do almost all of them except the extremely difficult ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Erdricks posted:

You'll actually wind up about ~20 mastery points short after grabbing all the strongboxes and other low hanging fruit in HoT and the LS3 maps. I've maxed my raids, ancient magics, gliding, and exalted lore, but I'm 4/6 Itzel and 5/6 Nuhoch. Still need 23 mastery points, and that means adventures and sticking my dick in the grinder that is TD.

Well yeah, the game rains mastery points down on you when you do the meta events in the HoT zones. I have assumed that people will be doing those when saying which masteries are easy or not.

• Locked thread