Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

they're finally adding the outfit for the only actually interesting human god

implying any of them are interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

I really don't understand...

Well you see, if you lower the cost of elite specs, then you don't have to collect as many hero points, so you don't have to play as much of the game. Which therefore means, there's less game in the game.

The logic is sound don't question it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I actually have a couple vision crystals hanging around, so that's fine. Then I just need the ascended marauder inscription recipe, and the ascended longbow recipe, correct? I'm really fuzzy on how ascended crafting works to be honest, never really bothered as my main guardian was never a damage primary spec :(

The major barrier to entry is getting the craft to 500; after that just craft the ascended mats every day until you've got what you need. If you actually buy everything from the tp it's daunting, but in practice if you have a bunch of poo poo lying around from years of play it's not even a hassle.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Uziduke posted:

I am going to take my Rev tonight from 20 to 80, going to power lv weaponsmithing and artificer, they make the staffs right? I also got about 50 lv books.

Artificer makes staves, if that's all you're making you don't need weaponsmithing.

Crafting

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Cyron posted:

also he want on about how the story was so terrible he lost faith in anet.

Only just now?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

'generic story told very well'

My observations support a 'generic & poorly written story made tolerable by fun missions' stance.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Plavski posted:

I dunno... you used to have to be at a certain level to unlock the next part of your storyline too.

And don't forget Ascension in Guild Wars 1. Anet has always liked gating content to extend playtime.

The only hard gating I recall from GW1 was having to get faction rank in Factions and sunspear rank if you were a derv or paragon in Nightfall. Those were annoying too.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Bit the bullet and grabbed HoT, Rev is amazing.

Are the items you need for the mistward collections guaranteed drops from the world bosses (i.e. does Shatterer always give you the glove plate)?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Got it. Will report back with my findings :v:

In other news, it appears Warriors are kinda hot garbage right now in PVP, which is fine. Since my first 80 (as of last night) is a warrior, I'm looking to gear him for General PVE Sexytime. From everything I've read, it seems to be Berserkers gear, start with rare, work towards exotic, run world bosses, dungeons, and fractals. What would a set of rare Berserker stat heavy gear run me roughly, as I probably can't buy exotic straight up right now.

You can get a full rare set of armor from dungeons with 210 tokens; exotic, 1380. Weapons are cheap if you get them from WvW vendors or via guild commendations. Trinkets/rings are easy, grab some ascended ones via laurels/guild commendations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there a decent rundown of the thief traitlines? More than just "acrobatics gives you this, deadly arts this, etc," but something a little more in-depth? Points out highlights, explains why bad traits are bad, etc.

PvE? You always take Deadly Arts, Crit Strikes, and Trickery because those give you damage and if you not doing damage thief is sorta pointless. Substitute Daredevil for Trickery if you want to just flip around and look sorta cool but it's not great. You should be D/D + SB, Zerker, etc. If you want conditions there are other classes that do that far better; raw damage is what they're good at. You can put together a gimmick condition Daredevil but I didn't like it much at all, feels like something that'd be better in PvP but I know nothing about that.

Deadly Arts:
    Tier 1: Dagger Training or Mug. Former for more damage, latter for the heal. I prefer Mug because thief is squishy and I have other traits to lower Steal's cooldown.

Tier 2: Revealed Training. Both because it's a good damage boost and the other two suck, just read them to see why.

Tier 3: Executioner. See Tier 2 comments.

Critical Strikes:
    Tier 1: Flawless Strikes is your max damage option; I use Signets of Power for a lower cooldown on Agility for more endurance/dodges when I need them. Shouldn't really ever need Side Strike.

Tier 2: Sundering Strikes if you're in a group lacking Vulnerability application, otherwise Practice Tolerance for damage. You'll never use pistols so Ankle Shots is out on that alone, but you have such easy access to cripple anyway that it's sorta stupid on its own merit.

Tier 3: No Quarter for max damage, Invigorating Precision for survivability. Really up to you on which you need. Hidden Killer just isn't necessary.

Trickery:
    Tier 1: Thrill of the Crime. The cooldown on Flanking Strikes is just too long to matter. Uncatchable is something you don't need.

Tier 2: Bountiful Theft for boon stripping, I like Trickster just for making Withdraw better. Pressure Striking is for condition builds.

Tier 3: Sleight of Hand is a useful daze and an even shorter cooldown for steal is really nice. Quick Pockets is nice for more init, thus more ability spam and more damage.

Shadow Arts:
    I think theoretically this is the trait line to make thief tanky, but uh, it doesn't really. You'll still die to a stiff breeze. Don't bother with it.

Acrobatics:
    Before the changes to traits, this used to be an alright dip. Now it's just kinda lovely condition removal and really poo poo dodge support. Daredevil is basically Acro 2.0, so you'll never ever use this trait line ever.

Daredevil:
    Personally I don't like it much, parts of it are neat but idk what you'd use it in place of. Probably Trickery I guess. Idk, someone who likes DD can answer.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

OzFactor posted:

I don't get why people aren't liking Daredevil, it's fun as heck (note: in open-world PvE, HoT specifically). I'm sure I'm suboptimal or whatever, but I can play the game like I'm playing Dark Souls: the only time I get hit is when I get lazy or overextend myself. I have three full dodges, Withdraw on a 15 second cooldown, all my dodges apply huge AoE conditions, I have an on-demand blind with Staff 4, a very low cooldown block in Bandit's Defense, I can't be crippled or immobilized (Staff 3), and I steal things constantly. Because I'm dumb and go for total overkill on dodging I'm using Adventurer runes, which means I get half my endurance back every time I Withdraw (again, every 15 seconds), and a Stamina sigil on my staff, which means I literally can't stop dodging. I'm whipping in and out of melee constantly, leaving everything in my wake crippled, bleeding, tormented, and swinging at nothing. It's rad.

You can pretty much dodge around like whoa as a default thief anyway. Staff doesn't really do much the other weapon sets don't. Plus while a daredevil is flipping around looking cool, other specs are actually tearing mordremoth a new rear end in a top hat.

Honestly the only reason to play my thief right now, mechanically, is because it's loaded with my only set of ascended gear. Otherwise I'd be Shiro/Glint Rev 24/7.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I like Shiro Rev because when playing thief I've always wanted Withdraw, Unhindered Combatant, and Physical Supremacy/Feline Grace all on one utility skill.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's true. I'd forgotten the Mastery system's grindiness.

Yea, I wouldn't care about the grindy nature of masteries if they didn't gate the story arbitrarily. I mean, it's done now and I'll never have to re-do them on alts, but first time around it's a little jarring to have the momentum of the plot killed by "go get 1 mil xp to continue" sort of stuff.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kenshin posted:

The only way to grind up those HoT masteries is doing those meta events over and over and over again.

Or farm spiders if you hate yourself.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

So they nerfed dungeon rewards and now nobody does them

Working as intended.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao dota rules

Actually sir, it drools.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Finally getting a chance to play around with some of the HoT stuff, enjoying it, but it is a little bit of a grind to get the abilities. What's the quickest way to earn EXP on the Maguuma maps? I've just been event hopping.

A little south of the Itzel village wp is a tree village full of veteran spiders, got through the plot masteries pretty quick running in circles with xp boosts.

LordHippoman posted:

Also plotwise holy poo poo, the sheer amount of things that could have been avoided if someone was smart

Could just stop the sentence here.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Sometimes I wonder if they playtested this poo poo at all.

Well to do that they'd need a test server.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
So, still no pics of the legendary armor?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Hefty posted:

Is it this? because lmbo.

Nah that's a mash of light armor.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Hmmm maybe I'll just go straight into HoT and potentially go back and do Living Season 2 when I can afford gems again.

If you really need a summary of LS2 for HoT:

Generic Octopus posted:

You found an egg from Glint. Caithe stole the egg. Anet took a giant poo poo on Caithe in flashback missions. Mordremoth destroyed the pact fleet and started taking control of the sylvari.

The End.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Obviously SFD just needs to make a event night for farming spiders with Arus.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

I noticed maybe a half hour total of playing beyond when I'd gotten bored to get all the mastery I needed for the story... but then when I play, I just tend to wander wherever doing any event that catches my eye.

I thought that was everyone did outside of pvp/dedicated dungeon farmers (rip)?

I just didn't find a lot of the events that interesting (defend this camp! carry boxes from A to B!). I mostly just wanted to plow through the story to kill Mord and see who of this horrible cast would end up dead. Now I need to earn the right to buy poo poo from vendors for the mistward stuff and then also grind out currencies and I'm just sorta bored with it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The mastery xp requirements seem like a half-hearted attempt to pad the play time so their $20-30 xpac feels like a $50 one.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Libertine posted:

I'm leveling up a new character in the main game and think I'm going to buy the expansion. Does the expansion have any pre-80 content or is that a dumb question (like usually MMOs don't). Is there any reason to buy it before I get this guy to 80 or just do it then?

Revenant is incredible, and has the added bonus of no in-game explanation for the player character, so when an npc starts using it in the HoT story and everyone's all "Ooooh how you do!?" you get to sit the corner looking all :saddowns: because apparently no one noticed you channeling dead spirits for the last ~2 years.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ItBurns posted:

Rytlock doesn't have a girlfriend.

Logan???

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Relax guys, I'm sure anet will release an infinite rune extractor for 2000 gems.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Has the raid been beaten yet

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
On the plus side, once you're leveled Rev is the best thing ever. Wish I'd made ascended heavy armor instead of medium; maybe some day.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I'm disappointed that there aren't strength and dependence sliders for true customization.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Bring Back Elona. :colbert:

Can't wait to see the response to that xpac.

A bunch of white human females gliding in on angel wings to save the proud Elonan people from slavery under the tyrant Joko.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
It's randumb, they can spawn right next to each other sometimes.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mikemo Tyson posted:

So I've been splitting my time between a mesmer and a necro. They are both fun but the necro feels a lot stronger and having a permanent speed buff is nice. Will it be hard to find groups as a reaper or should I stick to my mesmer if I want to be useful? I don't really do PvP stuff.

It won't even matter if you don't have ascended gear to pass the gear-check required for endgame content.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Maybe they should change the Mistward Headwrap requirement from Chak Gerent to something people actually do, because I this rate I'll never get the drat thing.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Got it like my first chak kill in the depths. I actually like that place, seems really neat.

AzureSkye posted:

Its 100% droprate I'm pretty sure, the problem is actually getting the kill.

Yea, it's guaranteed. The problem is getting 4 lanes that all succeed. 4-5 attempts this week and it gets hosed every time.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Farbror posted:

Anyone have some advice for a thief wanting to raid? It's hard to find builds among all the people losing their minds about how much we apparently suck in other forums.

I guess I should get some kind of condition build?

Right now I think the meta thief build is to roll another class.

I know that's unhelpful but I'm one of those people who find thief to be kinda bad compared to other classes post-xpac. I mean I still use it sometimes because it's got my only set of ascended for fractals but yea, way more into Rev in HoT. If I ever get ascended heavy, I don't think I'll go back.

To be somewhat more helpful, psure the ideal thief build is still Power (Zerker), using Deadly Arts, Crit Strikes, and choice of Daredevil or Trickery.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
"Organized TD Meta/Gerent, please get on our guild's teamspeak and join squad and-"

NUHOCH HAS FAILED

"Oh well, nice try guys see ya in 2 hours"

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Magres posted:

Did ascended gear recipes change when HoT came out? One of my friends has been talking about how ANet made them way, way harder to craft but they look about the same to me - just as miserable and time-consuming as ever.

The new stat arrays are a pain to make iirc, and also they introduced Damask Patches (made from Damask & Elonian Leather) as a replacement component where just plain Damask used to be. It sucks.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Can you buy hero points

With like, money? No. But you can via WvW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, instead of keeping me playing it's more it's turning me off :( I'm not going to even be able to do map completion for a while still and it's very disheartening.

Just run Chak Gerent until your soul dies, then you won't care about such thing.

"Hey guys join our gerent guild, we got 3/4 lanes last time!" :downs:

• Locked thread