Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Also this is yet another release where the COMMANDER'S role is to gather flowers and rotten fish and do various other busywork. Is there a portion of players who feel that the player needs to be hands-on with every possible fetch quest to get the best value for content?

I wish I could just leave and let Kryta do it's own thing 'cause I don't really like either of the Ministry/White Mantle or Jenna, and should probably be working on something to kill Kralkatorrik and Bubbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yea I don't have much tolerance for the legendary crafting process; the Gift of Fortune is the only thing left for Ad Infinitum and I can't be bothered.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Player character will have to help Gnashblade drain the swamp.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

I want to raid and do fractals. Where/how do I get the gear to dress myself for success? I know I need at least exotics, with specific stat layouts, do I need to craft it all or can I get it from dungeons or where does it all come from?

You can start doing Fractals with exotics, but eventually you'll need to start crafting Ascended items for the whole Agony Resist mechanic. However, the trinkets (amulet/rings/etc.) are bought off vendors for various currencies, not crafted; those are the easiest pieces to get so start there.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_equipment

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony

95% of questions concerning fractals (and the game in general) can be answered via the wiki, it's quite detailed.

Tsurupettan posted:

How do I make money? I have 11g. I made like, 3g yesterday just running around doing event stuff.

A lot of grinding/farming certain maps/events. That or buy gems & convert. You can get decent money from doing daily events (world bosses, fractals, etc.) but it's going to take time no matter what unless you get a lucky drop you can sell on the TP or buy gems and convert.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

orcane posted:

Just raid, mate, it's easy :colbert:

If raids had 5-man fractal-ish versions, I'd give those a go. But right now I'm really not invested enough in gw2 to "learn" raids and hit dps checks & poo poo.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Ascended-Vending-Changes

TL;DR - Vendor ascended gear will now be game mode currency + gold + 500 skill crafted item. Buying vendor ascended should be cheaper than crafting it, but you need to be 500 in that piece of gear's crafting discipline.

Sounds like it's time to grab my last piece of light ascended before poo poo gets hosed.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of ascended, wtf is this change? Will this make crafting my last few pieces worse?
It doesn't look like a change to crafting directly, just adding more cost to purchasing pieces off the vendors in Fractals/Raids/PvP.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Conskill posted:

How are Revs in the endgame? I'm enjoying leveling one up but concerned that the gameplay might change as I get further along. Currently I've been running around with a mace and axe while doing Assassin (I hear Demon is supposed to go well with the weapon choice, but I've been happier with Assassin's utility powers).

I won't speak to raids, but everywhere else they're great. Glint/Shiro is pmuch the default PvE stance combo (you won't have access to Glint until you get the elite spec going) so you're probably going to do fine. Sword is a better mainhand weapon though, and you'll want a staff & a hammer available (for breakbars & range, respectively).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Ventari Revs get Alacrity? Neat.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The crafting requirements for vendor-ascended gear are poo poo.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I have a level 80 engineer and a level 40-something mesmer. Are those any good?
Every class is basically fine, use one that suits your style. That said, Mesmers are more generally useful in PvE.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What's this about chronomancers and scrappers? Do I need to buy the expansion?
Yes; HoT introduced "Elite" trait lines that give classes access to new weapons, utility skills, and traits (obviously). You can only start acquiring this trait line if you're 80 and have your other traits unlocked. Chronomancer = Mesmer Elite, Scrapper = Engineer.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What's the deal with Lion's Arch not looking as cool as it used to?
Plot happened. Lion's Arch got attacked/destroyed/rebuilt as part of the ~Living Story~.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Finally, the skill system seems completely different and I have some amount of hero points and some that seem to be spent in stuff I don't really remember ever using... should I just go ahead and spend the points I have unlocking everything at random, or should I be saving them for something?

Also, can an idiot terrible player still follow around a zerg in WvW and have some fun tossing grenades, or has the game grown beyond that?
The skill/trait unlock system has undergone a few changes over the years. Just unlock everything, you'll need to eventually anyway and as part of leveling up you get enough Hero Points to fully unlock all your regular (not-Elite) trait lines; the ones you find around the world are useful for unlocking things sooner and/or applying to the Elite spec. There's no other use for Hero Points so you can't 'waste' them.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also, can an idiot terrible player still follow around a zerg in WvW and have some fun tossing grenades
Yea pretty much.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Valicious posted:

I have a lvl 11 necro and 14 warrior on Dragonbrand, and starting a mesmer on Meguuma. (different accounts) My roommate plays on Dragonbrand, but I wanna play with goons too. I just started GW2 a few days ago, I need your goony advice. Would I still be able to do PvE with my Dragonbrand roommate with my Meguuma mesmer?

The only thing servers factor into is WvW. Everything else you can buddy up with whoever as long as you're in the same region (NA or EU).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Orv posted:

If they make tengu playable before frogs or bears, it will be the saddest day.

Asura and Norn are already playable though?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Was there actually a secret raid guild? lol

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
It has to be an elaborate joke, to cause all the obsessed raiders to stand around lion's arch in awful-looking armor.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Erdricks posted:

Any idea how much raiding is required to make legendary armor?

You need 25 Legendary Insights per armor piece. You can get up to 13 per week (one for each raid boss).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got to 80 (ranger) and hopped into HoT for a bit to unlock masteries, but I feel like I'm a bit undergeared so I was thinking of going back to some of the lower level areas to get some materials and level up crafting, and holy poo poo the tier 3 stuff (cotton/coarse) is nowhere to be found. I'm checking 35-50 areas, been at it for two hours and got all of 3 pieces of cotton and 2 leather scraps.

Is crafting my best bet to gear up a bit, or should I be hitting my face against silverwastes/verdant and see if some better gear drops?

You should not be praying for gear drops; probably the easiest way for you to get a set of Exotic (orange, second best in game but only marginally worse than the best) is to do Dungeons for Dungeon Tokens (you can look at this gear at the vendor near the Fractal portal in Lion's Arch).

e: If you have lots of the Karma currency, then there are vendors in Orr you can buy Exotics from. Crafting is basically for Ascended/Legendary gear.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 26, 2017

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Of course the charr tail just clips straight through the medium's skirt. A+, good job.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

lucifirius posted:

How easy will it be for me to get people to guide/lead/carry me through fractals to get AR for t4s?

AR is pretty easy to get; the wiki has a summary showing various AR set-ups and the costs.

e: I should note that the real challenge might be infusing your rings (if you don't get lucky with drops) and the backpiece, which are their own headache as noted here.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 15, 2017

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

frajaq posted:

Alright, give it to me straight thread, how fun are Thieves currently and their Elite Spec?

They're good & fun, I was mostly disappointed in the Elite Spec because it doesn't change much about the class. They're good at killing things and very frail.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

BexGu posted:

Probably a more melee focus to do Open World content and power through the various story/meta zone events.

Revenant, Warrior, & Guardian are all strong and good (their elite specs pmuch just make them better overall). Thief if you're looking for a lot of mobility for open-world stuff, but they are pretty squishy in the HoT zones (though if you kill things quick enough it's not a huge issue).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Acidian posted:

Trying to get back into this game, and hoping for some advice.

I got a level 80 mesmer and level 80 revenant, both in poo poo gear, and I am leveling a warrior now just to get back into the game. This time I would really like to do some end level stuff for once, like raids and fractals. From what I gather, revenant is rubish at both, so I am going with the mesmer. However, I have no idea how to get good enough (stat cap'ed?) gear and how to get enough masteries to unlock chronomancer. I know there are hero point trains, but I am not sure where I go to get on them. I think I read on qtfy that I need berserker for everything and commander for feet, how do I ensure I get these suffixes? As well as the sigils and other stuff like backpacks. Mesmer also seems really hard to play, how hard will I gently caress up the raids/fractals when I mess up the rotation?

Rev is fine for fractals (fractals in general aren't a big deal, difficulty-wise), but if you're looking at raids then yea, mesmer's more useful there.

For ascended gear, you'll need to craft it or have it drop from fractals. You can buy it from a few vendors but most of them still require a currency you need to craft.

GOON sometimes runs hero trains on Tuesdays but if you go to Verdant Brink you can often find other commander tags running them as well.

In general though it sounds like you need to explore a couple wiki pages since you don't know much about the gear:

Ascended Armor
Ascended Trinkets (these are way easier to acquire than the armor/weapons)

Keep in mind for a lot of the fractal progression, you don't even need a lot of ascended gear (you really only need it because of the Agony mechanic, not so much the stats) and can get by perfectly fine with Exotic (orange) gear, which is readily available from a bunch of different vendors or the trading post.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

This is just such an alien perspective to me. Having "too much to do" or "too many options" causing you to stop playing.
What games do you play,? Checkers? Tic-tac-toe? Rock-paper-scissors?

[Edit] Like, you are aware that in most games people pay money for more content, right?

It's probably more like "there's too much poo poo for me to catch up on, I don't feel like bothering."

• Locked thread