Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
After watching all the attempts on the raid during the weekend, I was actually pretty put at ease over most of my concerns. If anything, they reminded me of the elite missions in GW1. Of course there were certain classes that were preferred over others, but there was still some variety allowed. Monks were the go-to for healing and protection, like Druids will certainly be over water eles and Ventari revs. Necros and Mesmers and Eles were preferred over other damage classes because of their massive variety of heavy AoE damage and strong single-target DPS, but at least in GW2 there are many forms of DPS from each class, especially after the condi damage revamp. Aggro was controlled through positioning and AI manipulation in the first game, a mechanic that was regarded very favorably over the traditional Taunt mechanic in other games even ten years ago, and now we are seeing toughness-heavy specs luring the bosses to safer locations for the rest of their team.

I've never done any of the traditional raids in other games, so I don't have any experience whatsoever as to what an ideal raid is at all. All I can say was that I liked what I saw from the many streams of people happily losing to this one boss over and over again because they KNEW why they kept failing, and kept trying until they nearly perfected the fight. The mechanics seemed easy to get a grip on just from experiencing it through other players, and I can't wait to try it out for myself when the expansion goes live.

I will say that I would like to see certain specs (healing, toughness, damage) buffed or changed for other classes so that the Druid isn't the only go-to healing spec that pugs will go towards. At least other classes can fill the other roles (Mesmer, Necro, Thief, Rev, or Sigils of Nul for the boon-strips; Any class for condi/power DPS [yeah, even rangers, harhar]; Guards, Revs, Engis, Warriors for tanking/leading the bosses). And yes, the best specs will be sought after by the poopsockiest of the pugs, like the W/G/T/E/E party comp for high-end fractals, but that same thing even happened in the elite dungeons in GW1; there's almost no way to escape that entirely.

Kinda wish the RBG guardians had less generic names, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Softface posted:

Not in HoT, but Scarlet will be the Legend that the Revenant channels for its next elite spec.

Legendary Mary Sue Stance.

It's Shout-based and they are all "Die."

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

That's what I did when Ascended Armor crafting was announced. Silk was 2c a piece, so I bought tons of stacks, ended up making a huge profit when it hit.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Yo, shut up, new legendary weapon poo poo here!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Wow that's a lot of hero points, kinda puts a damper on things, I don't really have that kind of time to dump into this game anymore plus it means I can only really stick to Lin for the foreseeable future since she's the only char I have completion with and a significant amount of points(208 to be more specific).

Kinda shits on alts, hopefully they alter that, hope they look a bit more in Druid as well, as much as I like its to much support, nothing for solo play other than a few self buffs.

Well, what elite specs are REALLY worth getting?

Tempest is pretty much useless, since it's main thing is making the Ele's attunement-swapping weaker in favor for something it could already do before.

Dragonhunter seems like a LB Ranger that can actually make use of its traps, as well as having an elite one.

The Reaper is basically a GS Warrior with chills, but that's still a big thing for necros, so point in that one.

Chronomancer...okay, bringing a reverse chill for your party and having TW on 90s cd is nifty.

Daredevil gets new dodge bar, dodge variants, but S/D thieves still have the best evades.

Berserker gives Warriors more burning and the first elite skill that has less than a 30s cd, but nothing really else that other professions can't already do better.

Scrapper has minions that die in three hits, an AoE stealth field with a minion that basically shouts WE'RE ALL HERE!, and actual melee DPS and Toughness, basically MADE for raids.

Druids, again, made for raids, since allied-healing is kinda mechanically useless anywhere else, even WvW zergs.

Herald offers nice boon duration buffs, perma-swiftness, and skills with voice-acting built into them that make you want to throw your headset/speakers into the trash.

I mean, take your pick. And it's not like they aren't at least giving us options on how to get the hero points.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

They never mentioned how to breathe. Not a great informational post, 2/10

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Patch notes to tide you all over

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

quote:

Captain Mai Trin Boss:

Fixed some bugs that allowed players to rejoin the fight against Mai Trin after logging out.
Fixed a bug that would allow Kiel to resurrect downed players outside of Mai Trin’s room.

Oh gently caress you, too.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Visidan posted:

I'm being told the story is actually good, confirm deny.

It fixes Braham's character somewhat, puts more Canach in (which is always welcome), Rytlock Animestone is almost always in your party, and stuff happens.

So, yeah, it's getting better. Not great, but better.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

*ATTENTION EVERYONE GRINDING THE STORY-REQUIRED MASTERIES TO PROGRESS THE STORY*

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm just coming back after a long time, is the map meta completion bar and rewards new with the expansion or has it been in? Because that is really nice.

New

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

If you guys are hurting for HoT mastery exp and have at least gotten to Dragon's Stand, try finding an organized group there and follow a commander tag. A single run down a lane with the events popping up can net several hundred-thousands of exp, and that group might be the one to beat the meta-event (which, afaik, has only been beaten once). Good loot, too.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

If you want good experience for the HoT masteries, try finding an organized Dragon's Stand map. Tons of veteran+ mordrem mobs spawn in each lane and there's good guides out there already to get the gist of what to do.

That and the final boss fight in the map is pretty cool.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I guess ignorance is bliss because I don't care about huge costs/grinds to get shiny and new stuff. I don't really notice it, just something to look forward to.

Raids look hard but fair, just like Domain of Anguish when it released in Nightfall, and getting Lightbringer 10 was waaaaaay more of a grind than masteries back then.

Sucks they nerfed dungeons but at least they didn't touch the tokens. There were always better ways to farm gold, too, so, yeah.

Good idea to make fractals bite-sized instead of hour-long slogs.

Masteries take long to get, but we have boosters to speed it along and you don't need anything besides gliding 2 for the meta-events most of the time, and that's really easy to get. Only thing I didn't like was having it gating progress through the story, but they even made that less painful 4 days into the expac.

Stronghold...well, I was never a PvP guy but having a streamlined version of GvG is better than nothing, I guess.

The legendary precursor scavenger hunts can vary between being a cool world-tour to some really bizarre and frustrating design choices (having to get events to fail, anet, really?) and I'm waiting until they fix that stuff.

At least they kept the grind associated with armor and weapon skins and not new gear-tiers. Yes, legendary armor is the incentive for raids and it's a great thing to have a single armor-set that can switch stats so as to make more room in your inventory and have it bound to your account, but that's really it. Ascended trinkets + exotic armor seems to let you get by, which is nice. At least that's what I heard.

I never got into scribing so I don't have any opinions on that. I've just been raking in the gold with the flax seed harvesting, so that's nice, I guess.

But I don't have the terrible stories from other MMOs to think back to when this kind of stuff rears its head, because I've never played anything but GW1, which did have reputation grinds that meant that pugs would literally blacklist players for not having r10 norn/LB at certain parts of the game. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows in GW1, guys, and it was never gonna be that way in this game. I know that saying "at least it isn't THAT bad" isn't exactly what anyone wants to hear, but that's just how I'm choosing to look at things.

(also I promise I'll start donating more flax seeds and sand.)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

The dev response in the thread stated that it was a countermeasure towards teams that would have a player DC on their team to prevent an actual loss and try to game the system...except that should only apply if they actually LOSE, not WIN as a result...

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Esports was better when it wasn't called Esports. GW1 PvP is proof of this.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

The only meta's I like in HoT are Auric Basin and Dragon's Stand. AB because it doesn't harshly punish lack of communication (like TD does) and it's all about saving a golden city which is neat, and DS because it's a great EXP farm with a cool-looking boss fight at the end.

Tangled Depths is waaaay too punishing and the scaling is hosed and Verdant Brink is a boring mess even with good commanders.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Jackard posted:

What the hell's up with the title? Will Arus ever update the OP with the current state of things?

I feel like he didn't think this through.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

William Stoner posted:

should I buy HOT. Everyone says its bad.

I dunno, seems too HoT to handle.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Dreggon posted:

drat anet have started seriously blocking my names

it's time to bust out the big guns

for in the game of kings

you win or you get banned

"Look, if a character wants to be known as an "asseating machine," I say why get in their way?"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

There's really no difference between the two, hth.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I did my first GW2 raid today.

It was a pug raid.

It went fine.

Raids are good.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I'd like to thank Hlatun for leading our first-timers group in a Gorseval kill yesterday!

Got a Spiritual Infusion (600g on TP!!!!) from it so yay!

And then Sabetha rekt us and I had to go to work.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

The Searing was an inside job.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Lyer posted:

Venomshare thief is viable, you just don't want it gear up in vipers. (I don't blame you)

I just did this with my condi engi a couple weeks ago.

Never again...

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Dreggon posted:

people keep trapping cletus

Well they wouldn't have to if they built a PROPER prison.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

"We think Revenant's sword auto-attack is too powerful even though it's the only reliable DPS revenants have"

"On the note of nerfing non-warrior heavy-classes access to DPS, Guardians are doing damage now so gently caress them, too"

"Berserkers are still not as perfect as they can be, wanna make them OP just by using one weapon set at all times"

"We are going to buff all Thief's auto-attack chains to somehow make them want to use initiative offensively"

"Scrappers are a bit too defensive in our game mode that only promotes defensive builds"

"Okay, we get it, Diamond Skin is stupid, so it's gonna be ele's 412941th condi removal instead."

"No, we aren't nerfing Distortion, Alacrity (main selling point of Chronomancers) is the real problem"

"We are slowly figuring out that being able to heal while in Death Shroud really should be baseline"

"Thanks to giving Rangers overpowered heals and implementing a game mode that favors healing for once, we finally acknowledge that Rangers are a thing"

"Stomping foes with quickness and slow on you is too hard to fix, so now no one can do it at all"

"Oh, and scepter buffs. Since warriors don't use them, we didn't really bother, but whatever"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Karl will give thieves perma-stealth just because he can't stand the sight of them.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

they split it in gw1 and there were no issues. i don't know what the big holdup is this time around. it's, i don't know, an actually good idea.

Actually, it was. The coding in GW1 was so complicated or bad or something, that it took a whole work day to make a PvP version of one skill. At least, that's what the devs said.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

That's not a word that's a sentence.

loving casual

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

250 INCREASE IN FEROCITY AFTER SWAPPING TO AIR ATTUNEMENT WITH FRESH AIR TRAITED?????

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Search and Rescue might actually be useful now.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Even with the Alacrity nerf, Chronos are gonna be a must-have for raids. 100% Quickness upkeep, shared distortion, and 33% reduced cooldowns is very valuable. And honestly, 66% was kinda bonkers to begin with.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

What happens when we run out of dragons?

Do we go to space?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I see my Fresh Air build got buffed, yay.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

"Revenant was doing too much damage with just sword autos"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA126dULIr0

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I think people should stop with books altogether.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

right after SAB

Which is coming after them making ranger sword auto-attack not root you in place.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

how yall get the motivation to pvp? I just slam out like 9 gathering runs of flax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Transparency is great, but content needs to be updated on a regular enough basis for it to have an impact. If all that's being said is "x is totally getting worked on, here's an update on its progress!" but the final product never ships or doesn't ship soon enough, it won't be enough for the community at large.

Like the WvW reboot thing. Don't tell me that you keep adding stuff to it and that's why it isn't out yet. Especially when it isn't revealed what new stuff you added. Even if that's true, it still isn't live and that gives off the impression that perhaps all those things that were "added on throughout the development" were already part of the initial plans but just took longer to release.

• Locked thread